• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jan. EGM - Scores and Rumors

Grecco

LegendofJoe said:
Twilight Princess 10, 10, 10; HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

lol

I'm sorry but there is no way in hell that kiddy Nintendo franchise is worthy of those scores, I mean seriously Halo 2 and San Andreas both got the same score and they're like the best games to come out in the last few years. Zelda a 10, suuuuuure-maybe in Nintendo fanboy land, But in the real world, where I live, it would be more like a 7.

Or in other words if it isn't something I like, then it has to be mediocre otherwise my existence would be too complicated for me to understand.

Joke Post?

DJ_Tet

Banned
papercut said:
Well, Miyamoto said that the next Zelda game will be totally different (or something to that effect), so hopefully this new direction will breathe new life into the series.

And as awesome as it'll most likely wind up being, it'll still piss off the purists. First-person anyone?

If Zelda goes to first person, I might be done with the series :(

Pellham

Banned
LegendofJoe said:

lol

I'm sorry but there is no way in hell that kiddy Nintendo franchise is worthy of those scores, I mean seriously Halo 2 and San Andreas both got the same score and they're like the best games to come out in the last few years. Zelda a 10, suuuuuure-maybe in Nintendo fanboy land, But in the real world, where I live, it would be more like a 7.

Or in other words if it isn't something I like, then it has to be mediocre otherwise my existence would be too complicated for me to understand.

:lol wtf

Surreal

DJ_Tet said:
If Zelda goes to first person, I might be done with the series :(

Link... is a bald space marine. Premise of the story? Easy. On "Judgment Day" aliens fall out of the sky looking to take over Hyrule. With his Master Sword and dual pistols Link sets out to save the smokin' hot Princess Zelda from General LAAM. Features slow mo sword sequences where you can control which part of their body you cut off with the Wii mote.

choc_cake

Banned
moku said:
If you actually havnt played the game, your opinion is worthless.

yeah, sounds like how my fam says that if I don't vote I don't
get to voice my opinion, but I still do.

IF you don't like my opinion there are lots of reviews such as the
gamespot review that agrees with me.

No, I wouldn't give it an 8.8, but a 9.3 would be better.

Pellham

Banned
choc_cake said:

wait, you are admitting that you would actually give a review score to a game you haven't played? wtf? :lol

As formulaic as Twilight Princess was, I think we are going to miss that formula someday and we'll truly value TP as the one that perfected it.

It will take another year or so to look back and see if it was a classic. The Wind Waker had a strong affect on me at first, but over time I realized how much it sucks. With Majora's Mask almost the opposite.

I'd give it a 10. They only go by 9.5's after all, and a 10 is only .5 higher than IGN.

Maridia

choc_cake said:

What do you give Lost Planet? I'm trying to make up a budget for myself.

KINGMOKU

choc_cake said:

Well, I can work with your logic. Check this;

Without even reading anything else you ever post, I give everything you post in the future a 4.0 Not worth reading.

Trakdown

Zelda...I dunno about a 10. It's an excellent game, don't get me wrong, but it's not a 10. I'd say straight 9's.

WiiSports, unfortunately, I can agree with. It's fun, but about as much depth as a shot glass.
Golf's problematic, as is Boxing. Bowling's fun as hell, and I like Baseball. Tennis...meh.

And to all the people complaining that Zelda isn't original....And?? If most magazines had a score for originality, it would anchor most games to the freakin' ground.

GhaleonEB

choc_cake said:

Wait, are you arguing that you can and should review games you have not played? Do you understand how absurd that is? :lol

choc_cake

Banned
Pellham said:
wait, you are admitting that you would actually give a review score to a game you haven't played? wtf? :lol

Well, I did watch hours and hours of it and gamespot pretty much matched my opinion on it and they did play it all the way through. After hours and hours it got boring so he turned it off and we tried wii sports (yes, that was the tutorial, but come on it doesn't need to be that much and the simple mini-games were just simple).

If Zelda TP was called by another name it would have not been as big of a deal as it was.

I think the cod3 scores are right for the sp, however the mp aspect is one of the best live games yet i would rate the live aspect a 8.5 its amazing fun and reminds me of wolfie.

supermackem said:
I think the cod3 scores are right for the sp, however the mp aspect is one of the best live games yet i would rate the live aspect a 8.5 its amazing fun and reminds me of wolfie.

Rainbow 6 is the same. Mediocre SP, but GREAT, GREAT MP.

Rlan

Honestly, I wouldn't want Zelda to have full speech, but I WOULD like to see more gobbly-gook, Midna style, but for all characters. When she's the only one making noise, it sounds a bit weird.

Pellham

Banned
choc_cake said:
Well, I did watch hours and hours of it and gamespot pretty much matched my opinion on it and they did play it all the way through. After hours and hours it got boring so he turned it off and we tried wii sports (yes, that was the tutorial, but come on it doesn't need to be that much and the simple mini-games were just simple).

If Zelda TP was called by another name it would have not been as big of a deal as it was.

:lol

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
choc_cake said:

:lol :lol

_Angelus_

Banned
Rare kart racer with Bungie doing the art designs=racing over moons,green valleys,beaches,alien worlds. Mix it up with some slick Halo vehicles,weapons,but make damn sure it feels like a cart racing game and not generic warhog races. I truely don't know how the mainstream public would react to a kart racer with this license slapped over it but it sure would give the 360 a sense of downright craziness and spunk with Halo Kart racing.:lol

SantaC

LegendofJoe said:

lol

might as well put this one as the definition of joke post at wikipedia.

Zelda got 10's because it's extremely visually impressive for a Gamecube game, it's lengthy with tons of stuff to do, it has a good story, a great soundtrack, the dungeons are for the most part unique and clever, it has some of the best boss fights in gaming history, and it plays like a charm on both Wii and Gamecube alike.

It isn't perfect, but to speak of that delves into nitpick territory, but it doesn't deserve anything less than a 9.5. Therefore, the scores are highly accurate and are very indicative of the game's quality.

rhino4evr

all of these folks that are claiming that okami was better then Zelda, must be fooling themselves. I played and loved Okami. I even thought it would stand up pretty close to Zelda when I first played through it. However, having just finishing Zelda, I will state that it beats it on just about every level. Sure Okami had an amazing graphic stlye, but it's dungeons and boss fights were completely inferior. I guess you could argue that Okami had a better story, but that doesn't mean that much once you've played the 4th dungeon in Twilight Princess. My opinion on Nintendo developers jumped backed to fanboy status after that boss.

Just got mine in the amil and I have to say how surprisingly skinny it is compared to previous years. Even the Halo 3 issue was skinny.

I remember in years past the Dec and Jan issues were as thick as books.

I guess they're just selling less ad space.....

Soul4ger

siamesedreamer said:
Just got mine in the amil and I have to say how surprisingly skinny it is compared to previous years. Even the Halo 3 issue was skinny.

I remember in years past the Dec and Jan issues were as thick as books.

I guess they're just selling less ad space.....

Not only is content low, but adverts are high. Too many staff meetings and "awesome" podcasts with drinking and swearing, not enough magazine writing.

skip

Soul4ger said:
Not only is content low, but adverts are high. Too many staff meetings and "awesome" podcasts with drinking and swearing, not enough magazine writing.

yeah, because book size and podcasts are so related.

MoxManiac

omg rite said:
No, just that the reviews suck amirite.

Actually, I'd agree with that. The rest of EGM I have no complaints, just the awful, awful review section. Which admittedly, applies to most print mags.

ant1532

Banned
skip said:
yeah, because book size and podcasts are so related.
In the sense he used, wouldn't it be?
MoxManiac said:
Actually, I'd agree with that. The rest of EGM I have no complaints, just the awful, awful review section. Which admittedly, applies to most print mags.

At of all print mags, I say EGM's is by far the best. imo

mrklaw

MrArseFace
_leech_ said:
Anyone else think it's a bit early to do a Wii/PS3 comparison? Both systems are out, yes, but both have shit games (except for Zelda/Resistance), i would have waited until at least next year to see how both develop to get a better idea of which one's better.

no, its much more fun to make snap irrational judgments of how their entire generations will pan out based on first impressions and rushed launch games.

(I agree with you)

Fady K

brandonh83 said:
Zelda got 10's because it's extremely visually impressive for a Gamecube game, it's lengthy with tons of stuff to do, it has a good story, a great soundtrack, the dungeons are for the most part unique and clever, it has some of the best boss fights in gaming history, and it plays like a charm on both Wii and Gamecube alike.

It isn't perfect, but to speak of that delves into nitpick territory, but it doesn't deserve anything less than a 9.5. Therefore, the scores are highly accurate and are very indicative of the game's quality.

Well said :)

Mar

MoxManiac said:
just the awful, awful review section. Which admittedly, applies to most print mags.

Tried EDGE?

I can understand some people's complaints about Zelda. Especially those who played it for a number of hours and thought it was boring. I felt the same way until 14 hours into the game. Now I love the game to death.

Wii Sports doesn't deserve those low scores. But the reason for these scores is because reviewers didn't play the game a whole lot. I've been playing this game since launch and I'm just starting now to appreciate the boxing and tennis games. There is depth in this game that is not evident at first.

Top Bottom