• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The $900 PC Crysis Challenge (By Crytek)

Borys

Banned
Pretty interesting and yeah that is including everything (Windows XP, case, PSU, DVD, HDD etc.) except KB&M and a display:

crysis_logo_white_forum_post.png

The Crysis Hardware Experiment

Recommendations from Crytek and New Videos!

Greetings Community,

The Experiment

Over Christmas we took the time for a little in-house experiment. With only a limited budget of around US $900 we wanted to set up a brand new machine that can handle Crysis on High settings. We should note that Very High settings are reserved to keep Crysis future-proofed, just like Ultra was in Far Cry.

Together with EA we looked in shops around the world and bought the hardware parts to put together our machine starting from scratch. While we had a budget in mind, we wanted to still make sure this machine would have top-notch hardware such as a multicore processor or a DirectX10 graphics card.

The Videos

As you’ll see from the 8 minutes of video we recorded, Crysis looks absolute fabulous on High settings with this configuration and runs very smoothly on a 1280x720 resolution. They show different locations from the Crysis Singleplayer Campaign with everything set to High.

- Download – Video 1 (inCrysis mirror)
- Download – Video 2 (inCrysis mirror)
- Download – Video 3 (inCrysis mirror)
- Download – Video 4 (inCrysis mirror)

The Configuration

Below you find a rough list of parts we purchased so you can see and check for yourself about the total costs of such a high-end computer. The prices may vary from country to country, but overall the costs should be within the same range (shipping included).

CPU Intel Core2Duo E6750
GPU GeForce 8800GT 512MB
Motherboard NVIDIA nForce 650i Socket 775
PSU 600W ATX12V
RAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
HDD SATA 250GB 7200RPM
DVD 20x DVD±R Burner
Case ATX Midi Tower Computer Case
OS Microsoft Windows XP Home with SP2

The Message

With this experiment we have shown that Crysis runs smoothly and provides and amazing, unparalleled performance on High settings and on an affordable machine that is readily available today.

We know most of you already have a great base to work with, so compare your current hardware with the setup mentioned above and consider an affordable upgrade – you do not have to purchase a new machine. Crysis is very scalable and looks great on Medium settings compared to current next-gen games.

Your Hardware?

Of course we would like to know what kind of hardware you are running the game on and how it is running. We encourage you to run a benchmark test in Crysis which you can share afterwards with the members of your favorite Crysis forum (which you can do by starting here).

Regards,

-Crysis Dev Team

ea_crytek_logos_forum_post.png

Still, $900 buys you all 2 next-gen consoles + Wii.

Thanks, MickeyKnox.

EDIT: Here are the videos from the message:

http://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/movies/Crysis/jan102008/CRYSgenBROLVTOLgV10hd.mov
http://www6.incrysis.com/incrysis_dot_com_hw_experiment_video1.zip

http://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/movies/Crysis/jan102008/CRYSgenBROLASSAULTgV10hd.mov
http://www6.incrysis.com/incrysis_dot_com_hw_experiment_video2.zip

http://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/movies/Crysis/jan102008/CRYSgenBROLFROZENZGgV10hd.mov
http://www6.incrysis.com/incrysis_dot_com_hw_experiment_video3.zip

http://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/movies/Crysis/jan102008/CRYSgenBROLISLANDgV10hd.mov
http://www6.incrysis.com/incrysis_dot_com_hw_experiment_video4.zip

Everdred

I just built a system for around $980 that runs Crysis on Very high with 2x AA. I get a fair frame rate of 20-30 framesPS.

I don't know why everyone bitches so much about needing an expensive rig to play this game. Yes 1k is a lot, but not much more than you would pay for any typical Dell or Best Buy computer.

MoeB

I feel so bad for them that they have to do this. People just don't realize that they don't have to run this game in High settings in order to enjoy it.

Victrix

*beard*
I just have no interest in Crysis, it's inexplicable

I bought a monster new machine mid last year, I played every other major PC release, but now I'm mostly just playing COD4 on my 360, I don't have any desire to play Crysis SP at all (and I hated the multiplayer beta).

xabre

Banned
Borys said:

Yeah those 2 next-gen consoles (and the Wii) are just so awesome for video encoding, 3D rendering, audio composition, internet surfing, CAD, email, creating and printing documents, running spreadsheets, doing about a billion other things only PCs can do and WoW.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
MoeB said:
I feel so bad for them that they have to do this. People just don't realize that they don't have to run this game in High settings in order to enjoy it.
But it is kinda funny...It screams "Guys! Buy this game please! We'll even show you how to do it for cheap*! :("

*$900

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Are they not porting this game to consoles? And are they not getting that someone willing to put $900 into a PC for gaming already has something better in the first place?

Borys

Banned
xabre said:
Yeah those 2 next-gen consoles (and the Wii) are just so awesome for video encoding, 3D rendering, audio composition, internet surfing, CAD, email, creating and printing documents, running spreadsheets, doing about a billion other things only PCs can do and WoW.

Like you should be explaining this to me.

Anyway, money is money, $900 is $900 no matter how you intend to spend it.

Lyte Edge said:
Are they not porting this game to consoles?

Should cripples run along normal, healthy people at the Bejing 2008 Olympics?

Borys

Banned
Anyway this is a kick in the face for all those "lololololololol $3000 PC!" trolls that post here.

All those one or two that Tekno didn't ban yet that is.

xabre

Banned
Borys said:
Like you should be explaining this to me.

Don't worry I know where you stand. I'm not explaining this to you, I'm explaining it for others who seem to think you can put a dollar figure on a PC/console comparison. When you buy a PC you're buying a hell of a lot more than a 360/PS3 alternative.

Tr4nce

Oh shit, I'm wondering if I will ever be able to play this game. :(

I want to play it so bad...So freaking bad...

MoeB said:

Yeah but for example i have a overclocked e2180 and a 3850 which allows me to play the most of the current games at high if not highest setting. Crysis is the odd one.

I think that crysis was intended to be played on High. Yes, i know the gameplay can be fully enjoyed at medium, but i am not getting the full experience. Crysis at medium looks like a 360 game. And that is not how it is supposed to look.

Why am i supposed to pay for all that tecnology, textures, desing and manwork i am not going to get?
I hope the best to crytek, and i look foward to play crysis when i am able to play it at High.

Borys

Banned
Take Windows XP, HDD, DVD etc. off this price and you have a pretty good one actually, something around $600-$700 if I calculated things the right way.

That's as much as PS3 cost back in the day and with $600 PC you can do SO. MUCH. MORE.

So yeah I newegged the prices:

Windows XP - $99
HDD - $69
DVD Burner - $35

Total: $205

So if you have a PC and use it to post here on GAF you can slash $205 off that challenge price.

$700 for a Crysis @ high capable PC?

Sounds nice.

Apocryphon

If people are going to claim that their machine runs the game on 'Very High' @ around 30fps then i think it should be insisted that they unrestrict the console, use the r_displayinfo=1 command to show the settings and framerate and caputure screens from various parts of the game.

It's highly tweakable but if the GTX i have at work and the overclocked Ultra i have at home don't give a steady 30fps... y'know...:lol

There's a reason the guys at Crytek have limited their machine in this "challenge" to 'High' settings @ 720p on XP.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Borys said:
Anyway this is a kick in the face for all those "lololololololol $3000 PC!" trolls that post here.

All those one or two that Tekno didn't ban yet that is.

It isnt though, because they are still bitching that $900 is too much :lol . You cant win in a console only crowd, untill you can build a PC that is capable of running crysis for $15, they just wont care.

Kosma

Banned
You can get this for 768 euro now at Dell (using coupons)

Q6600
2GB RAM (667 but still)
500GB HDD
8800GT 512 MB
Vista

Borys

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:

Q6600
2GB RAM (667 but still)
500GB HDD
8800GT 512 MB
Vista

This is sweet. Like fucking sweet if you ask me.

Zzoram

This isn't anything new, my friend built a PC that can handle Crysis for CAN$1100 after tax, and he could've been cheaper. He got a quadcore and 4gb RAM, he could've cut back on that and saved some money.

gallyer

Sounds like a bargain. But it's a bit hard to play without a keyboard, mouse or screen....
(or a copy of the game)

Wiktor

Borys said:

yeah by then I don't have to pay up to 30$ more for every game (in old EU, here in Poland 360 games actualy cost 60$ more)

Kosma

Banned
gallyer said:
Sounds like a bargain. But it's a bit hard to play without a keyboard, mouse or screen....
(or a copy of the game)

Most people have a monitor, mouse and screen you know.

Tieno

oo Kosma oo said:

Q6600
2GB RAM (667 but still)
500GB HDD
8800GT 512 MB
Vista
Heh, I could have bought that (if case and all that stuff is included too, don't need Vista) but I just bought a new HDTV.

gallyer

oo Kosma oo said:
Most people have a monitor, mouse and screen you know.

Most people have a HDD, DVD drive and case too :) in fact most people have a whole computer !!

Crytek said they wanted to build a brand new machine. I know, it's only marketing.

Top Bottom