• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Policenauts English Patch finally releasing TODAY!

Aeana

pn-ugh.jpg

Uncool. :\

MercuryLS

Banned
Man I found my 2gig micro Sony mem card but I can't fimd the adaptor to use it with my PSP. FUCKING RAGE, GODDAMN YOU PROPRIETARY BULLSHIT WHY CAN'T YOU USE SD MOTHERFUCKER.

Aeana

shuri said:
This has tainted Kojima-san's entire body of work. I feel disgusted and enraged!
I had to check it out in the Japanese version to see if it was just the translator or if it was in the original...

pn-ugh2.jpg

I guess it's not much of a liberty after all. Ugh, anyway.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
It was important to follow up with the source material to understand where the responsibility lies, so thank you for that. It's interesting to think about how a translation should be written in regards to political correctness while maintaining a semblance of accuracy.

Aeana said:
pn-ugh.jpg

Uncool. :\

You do realize that in the Saturn version you have to option of molesting girls by tapping their cunts while interrogating them right?

Again I realize that the word is inappropriate but:

A. There are much worse things that were originally in the game

B. Movies can say offensive words due to character development, why not games?

Flying_Phoenix said:
You do realize that in the Saturn version you have to option of molesting girls by tapping their cunts while interrogating them right?

Movies get a pass, games and music don't.

Aeana

Flying_Phoenix said:

I've played the game in Japanese before. I know what's in it.
That doesn't change my thoughts. And comparing a stupid thing to a more stupid thing doesn't make it less stupid, sorry.

polyh3dron said:
For all you Mac people (Leopard/Intel only though, sorry), here's a way to patch the ISOs

OK so I found this OS X script to patch a DS version of Soma Bringer over at GBATemp and kinda figured out a weird way to make it patch the 2 Policenauts ISOs. It's kinda tricky, so pay close attention:

1. Download this zip file and make sure the contents are extracted and put inside a folder called "PatchSoma".

2. Open the file inside that folder named "PatchSoma" with TextEdit, you'll have to change the text in there that reads "policenauts_patch2.xdt" to "policenauts_patch1.xdt" and then save the file, then close it.

3. Rename your Policenauts ISOs to Policenauts1.iso and Policenauts2.iso

4. Drag ONLY the ISO for the FIRST DISC into the PatchSoma folder.

5. Open the "Terminal" application (it's in Applications/Utilities)

6. Drag the newly-modified "PatchSoma" file into the Terminal window and hit Enter.

7. If you don't see any error messages and you just see a little cursor below in the terminal window that means it's doing its thing. Wait a couple minutes until you see another prompt appear in the terminal and that will mean that the patch is complete. Check the size of the new patched iso. The correct size of the patched Disc 1 ISO should be 714.2 MB.

8. Once you have confirmed that the patch was successful, drag both ISOs (the original and newly patched Disc 1 ISOs) out of the PatchSoma folder and put them somewhere else. To clarify: the 2 ISOs that you have to move need to be removed from this folder so that when you put the Disc 2 ISO in there it is the only ISO file in the folder.

9. Open the "PatchSoma" file with TextEdit and change "policenauts_patch1.xdt" to "policenauts_patch2.xdt". Save the change, then close it.

10. Drag the ISO for the 2nd disc (Policenauts2.iso) into the PatchSoma folder and do the same for this ISO as you did the previous one. The correct size for the patched Disc 2 ISO is 584.5 MB.

You should now have working ISOs for Policenauts.

As for burning the discs, Toast Titanium worked great for me, just tell it to burn at 2X to ensure the burn works right.

Awesome thanks. Will it work on Snow Leopard though? I know that sounds like a stupid question but just curious if you'll know.

Aeana said:
That doesn't change my thoughts. And comparing a stupid thing to a more stupid thing doesn't make it less stupid, sorry.

It's called character development and immersing the audience to the piece's setting, atmosphere, and environment. Sorry the real world isn't all birds, bees, and pretty roses.

Aeana said:

But... it's a character? They can let him say anything they thought someone with this personality would say/think (and note that political correctness was different 13 years ago).
You don't have to like that character aspect obviously.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Aeana said:
There's nothing wrong with it, since it's a fictional story in a video game. Not like it's reflective of the actual thoughts \ views of the writer.

Aeana

people said:
None of the stuff you guys just said has any bearing on my opinion of the line in question. Whether it's the views of the character or the writer is completely irrelevant. It could be in a movie, in a book, whatever, and I would still be bothered by it. I'm taking issue with the phrasing itself, which I don't care for.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Coldsnap said:
since someone mentioned snatcher; does the import saturn or psx games have english?

The. ONLY! English version of Snatcher ONLY! Is Sega CD. ONLY!

Aeana said:
>>Stuff<<

Would you prefer Johnathan to say "I look like a homo," instead of "I look like a fag?"

TheSeks

Aeana said:
Okay, we're done here.

Well, I'm curious what you would have done as the localization team. If the original Japanese is something to that effect, I think it's faithful to leave it in, no matter how un-Politically Correct it is.

Sorry it bothers you?

Aeana

TheSeks said:
Well, I'm curious what you would have done as the localization team. If the original Japanese is something to that effect, I think it's faithful to leave it in, no matter how un-Politically Correct it is.

Sorry it bothers you?
This has nothing to do with the translation, it has to do with the original line. This was resolved after I saw the original line and saw that it was similar. I wouldn't have the translator remove it, no, but it's a stupid line, and I don't care for it. It shouldn't have been in there from the start.

Anyway, like I said: I'm done with this conversation. It's going nowhere and serves no purpose, so let's just drop it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Flying_Phoenix said:
It's called character development and immersing the audience to the piece's setting, atmosphere, and environment. Sorry the real world isn't all birds, bees, and pretty roses.
uh, my main problem with that line is that it's poorly written. it could have been said much better, sensitivity completely aside. it sounds like something a youtube commenter would say, even though the underlying part about smiling is interesting.

pje122

Yeah, how about people continue to post their impressions of the game instead of nitpicking over bullshit. Thanks.

Tiktaalik

pje122 said:
Yeah, how about people continue to post their impressions of the game instead of nitpicking over bullshit. Thanks.

It's a pretty interesting topic actually. It sort of gives light to why this game was maybe not brought over after all. I didn't see the screen shot in question but I can guess as to what was there. I've already seen some certainly sexist objectionable scenes. I'm curious from folks who've played MGS in Japanese or Snatcher, does the sexist banter in the those games even approach anything like in this game, where it seems to cross the line to objectionable? I'm curious whether there was anything in Kojima's previous work that may have been edited out when brought over to NA.

edit: ah it wasn't a sexist word. I guessed wrong. Well the point about "objectionable phrases" still stands.

suikodan

I'm stuck at the first shooting sequence, I shoot the guy, a truck passes and then, I'm stuck. The enemy will not show up anymore (!?)...

Also, there was a post 2 pages before about using ISOBuster to extract a proper ISO using the RAW option. Just to let you know that it did the trick for me to get a proper rip that will work with the patching process.

Tiktaalik

suikodan said:
I'm stuck at the first shooting sequence, I shoot the guy, a truck passes and then, I'm stuck. The enemy will not show up anymore (!?)...

Also, there was a post 2 pages before about using ISOBuster to extract a proper ISO using the RAW option. Just to let you know that it did the trick for me to get a proper rip that will work with the patching process.

shoot his legs under the sign.

mattiewheels said:
uh, my main problem with that line is that it's poorly written. it could have been said much better, sensitivity completely aside. it sounds like something a youtube commenter would say, even though the underlying part about smiling is interesting.

It's written how a regular person would think to themselves. Last time I checked people don't think to themselves with vocabulary as deep and lush as Shakespeare.

I'm moving through the game a lot faster than my first time in straight Japanese on the Saturn. The translation team did a good job and I for one like how it is written. It really gives us a window into how the world was like about 10 years ago (in Japan.) Sure it's very sexist and insensitive but it's just how Japan was and kind of is still like in some ways. They are a few steps back in that department compared to the rest of the world.

Only complaint is that I suck shooting stuff with the standard PS2 controller setup. I wish I had my Sega Saturn Stunner on this game.

TheSeks

Graphics Horse said:
I'm getting a black screen and no PlayStation logo on popsloader 3.71, does that mean the eboot conversion didn't work? I used impalerpsx

Possible. I'm using 3.71 POPs and it's playing fine.

pje122 said:

How about you go fuck yourself? It's in relation to the game and as such on topic. Get that stick out of your ass before you play backseat modding, okay?

In any case the game has such a slow start. I haven't gotten that far into it yet (about to rectify that). But hopefully finally
getting into space
the game will pick up.

Tiktaalik

TheSeks said:
In any case the game has such a slow start. I haven't gotten that far into it yet (about to rectify that). But hopefully finally
getting into space
the game will pick up.

That's kinda funny I was going to post earlier that I felt that this game got you much faster into the action than Snatcher. They're both kinda similar though. Later on I hope you like wandering around a police station being introduced to everyone!!

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Policenauts has a homophobic character in it therefore it is HORRIBLE.

To Kill A Mockingbird has a shitload of racist characters in it, therefore it is one of the worst novels EVER.

Brofist

TheSeks said:
The. ONLY! English version of Snatcher ONLY! Is Sega CD. ONLY!

Would you prefer Johnathan to say "I look like a homo," instead of "I look like a fag?"

Isn't the Sega CD version the only uncensored one as well. I have the PSX Japanese version and recall some censoring of violence.

kpop100 said:
Isn't the Sega CD version the only uncensored one as well. I have the PSX Japanese version and recall some censoring of violence.
Last night I got up to a part where
you find a Junker with his head completely ripped off
. This is the Sega CD version I'm talking about. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that if there was a censored version that would not be in it.

teekun

kpop100 said:

The PS1 version is heavily censored, but even the Sega CD version censors a few minor things that were in the PC Engine version.

Psykotik

teekun said:
The PS1 version is heavily censored, but even the Sega CD version censors a few minor things that were in the PC Engine version.

i read somewhere that if you enter KONAMI into the computer, it uncensors everything.

Sallokin

Saw it posted last page and I was also curious if there was anyplace to get the title screen sound that's featured in the end credits. As far as I can tell it's not on the soundtrack and I feel like it would make for a great ring tone lol. I'm not a fan of the background stuff in the end title version.

Brofist

Blu_LED said:
Last night I got up to a part where
you find a Junker with his head completely ripped off
. This is the Sega CD version I'm talking about. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that if there was a censored version that would not be in it.

But the scene is definitely toned down in the PS1 version.

Here's a video showing some differences between the versions. Obviously spoilers included for those who haven't but want to play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8yVl5UxT5k

edit: yeah I was saying the Sega CD version is not censored, but the PS1 version is.

MCermak

YEESSSSSSSSS! I'm so pumped to finally play this. Thanks to everyone who made it possible!

In regards to the offensive line: Fag isn't a nice thing to call anyone, and it isn't a word I use. But I don't think that it takes anything away from the quality of the game... People use the word in real life, movies, etc. It's part of the lexicon of society, therefore it is understandable that a character would use it? I'd let that one slide, dude.

Top Bottom