• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Rumor* The Order: 1886 delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordiemp

Wasn't Sony supposed to have the superior 1st party games compared to Microsoft? I hope they're not planning on Driveclub being their only retail release this fall. The Last of Us is summer, right?

And what well polished and technically accomplished games has MS released for the one ?

They bought a couple, but I don't see any from them either.

Truth is, it takes time

Frillen

Oh and while you're at it, get rid of the black bars. I'll take a slightly worse AA any day if it means full screen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That was basically my motivation for buying at launch. I'm going to spend the money anyway, maybe I save £50 if I wait two years, but I also get worse versions of every game I play for that two years, I'd rather just upgrade.

Yeah, same here. I'm very happy with having the PS4 now for multiplats.

thuway

Sorry but even very patient me has to call them out this time.

The PS3 was a pig to program for and late to launch yet ND still managed to get Uncharted out a year after launch with 70 staff.

The PS4 was touted as being much easier/quicker to program and WWS are a very experienced bunch.

I read this article on DriveClub's problems the other day and was like how did it get to that point?

http://videogames.virginmedia.com/n..._driveclub_for_failing_to_hit_ps4_launch.html

Maybe Shu is pushing them too hard and burning them out? Or the devs themselves are being too ambitious? *shrugs*

I really believed that a bomb was going to dropped at E3 with a big release this year out of nowhere, a bit like they surprised everyone with the TLoU reveal.

Not now.

I'm sorry to burst this bubble of optimism, but this is a brand new generation with machines less than a year old. There are multiple layers to the 2015 delays happening in the industry.

1. Developers have had less than a year with complete, working, 100% retail units to program on. New hardware poses new challenges, no matter how simple it is to work on. Sony's first party was knee deep in esoteric, eccentric, multi-spe programming last generation. Now is the time to optimize, learn, and try new things. This takes time.

2. This is a new generation of games and hence a new layer of complexity. New engines, models, AI routines, and design is being played with. There is a ceiling of the unknown.

3. Sony's output last year for PS3 was remarkable. They hit it out the park, but it also hindered their PS4 output as studios who would have shifted completely to PS4 stuck on PS3 and are now shifting forward. Typically Sony first party titles don't launch in the first year.

4. No one wants to release a half baked product. Coming out early, unfinished, and janky will destroy a brand. Just ask Killzone Shadow Fall. It's better to be late, than to be on time and smell like shit.

teiresias

So Sony refuses to money hat any exclusives, so when their first parties fall flat on their faces their platform is left with zero exclusives during the crucial holiday season.

Looks like XB1 is going to be closing the sales gap in NA this fall. They deserve it for thinking ahead.

rrc1594

I think a lot of you need nice pat on the back
200.gif

What games from Sony's first party studio in the last gen would be considered large flops?

Starhawk
Both SOCOMs
MAG
Puppeteer
Resistance 3
Untold Legends
White Knight Chronicles
LAIR (not really first party but still Sony funded I believe)
Twisted Metal
Playstation All Stars

All seemed to underperform or just sort of come and go with a whisper.

Guymelef

BTW people are "playing" here a lot with rumors.

The only big first party games announced right now are

DriveClub
The Last of Us

Sunset Overdrive.

Same as Microsoft more likely will announce Forza and Halo for 2014 Sony could announce something.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oh and while you're at it, get rid of the black bars. I'll take a slightly worse AA any day if it means full screen.

Please just don't buy the game. I don't want them changing this. I'll buy two copies so you don't have to buy one kthnx.

But now the order has to compete with the witcher In February, maybe they should have delayed it until march?

I don't think there's a real reason to fear the Witcher...at least compared to everything else that releases in October/November. Most of those games are 2-3x bigger (or more) than Witcher.

I think Sony should stop publishing games in the fall. They mostly can't compete so their games kinda just get stomped.

For their new IPs I agree. Holiday for any company is a tough time for a new IP. Established Sony brands could do well in the holidays though. Like Uncharted. I think The Last Guardian would do well also because of how much of a story and joke that game has become. It has a lot of mindshare and would be an easy impulse buy in the holiday season.

That's my half hearted plea for TLG to come this year.

B.O.O.M

Ideally we will get a detailed PR release on the matter from Sony/R@D. They have been rather good with being relatively open about their game development this gen.

It's a bummer really. But I can't imagine sony not having at least one more game for the holidays. My money is on The Last Guardian.

They should be able to have a great E3 this year...tho I wouldn't put it past them to fk it up

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sup you're saying that Sony's first party isn't delivering full games if those games are on multiple Sony platforms? Whatthefuckamireading.jpg

I'm saying l want next gen content not a cross platform port with slight enhancements. Given l bought a next gen console it's not an unreasonable request!

Melchiah

It's a reality of the modern games industry. Leaks are common, and consistent enough that they're an accurate barometer of the future. Everything leaking out of Sony is that their internal development is in upheaval. Sony Santa Monica's thing may have been scheduled for Fall 2014 - but that's dead. Uncharted 4 was probably set for this Fall - no way that's happening now.
If Sony can surprise me with two more AAA games that are near-completion, yet they've just declined to mention up to this point - I'd be equal parts thrilled and annoyed. Thrilled because I want software, but annoyed because it shows a remarkable blindness to their customer base. People just spent $400 on their machine, and are left believing that it's devoid of worthwhile exclusive content for the immediate future?

There were no preceding rumours of many of the games announced at the 2013 PS4 unveiling event, and the rest of the last year's exhibitions. They were tight-lipped back then as well. Yet people now assume, that it's impossible for them to have games no-one knows about.

FHIZ

And Driveclub is Sony's tentpole game for the fall... not great.

Good thing there's like a billion third party games coming out October 7th.

pswii60

I would think they have to have something. Could Sony really have NO 1st party games for the holiday season?
Well they have Driveclub. But this is typical Sony, always delays. Insomniac and Naughty Dog were their only timely output.

But, really, better delayed than a broken game.

vpance

So Sony refuses to money hat any exclusives, so when their first parties fall flat on their faces their platform is left with zero exclusives during the crucial holiday season.

Looks like XB1 is going to be closing the sales gap in NA this fall. They deserve it for thinking ahead.

What does Bone have over PS4 this fall?

Loudninja

BTW people are "playing" here a lot with rumors.

The only big first party games announced right now are

DriveClub
The Last of Us

Sunset Overdrive.

Same as Microsoft more likely will announce Forza and Halo for 2014 Sony could announced something.
I add Singstar if only for Europe.

MilesTeg

Banned
The Evil Within
Destiny
Last of Us
Driveclub
Evolve
Arkham Knight
CoD 2014
AC 2014
BF 2014
LOTR game
Alien Isolation
The Crew
Dragon Age Inquisition
Minecraft
The Witness

Not bad considering we are still pre-E3.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So whenever there is new footage of a game due to be released, expect a delay announcement at the same time.

Yea just like sony and there drm plans.

Or like Respawn's new game being exclusive to Sony.
Or like Sony Santa Monica being in trouble.
Or like Far Cry 4 being set in the Himalayas.
Or like Project Beast's very existence.

You're highlighting the exception as the standard.

Hoje0308

Banned
MLB is cross platform though. PS4 exclusive is what's needed.

That wasn't the discussion though. The original poster's assertion was that Sony's studios are struggling to produce content. That they have actually managed to do slightly more further highlights my point. Yeah, exclusives are important, but it's not as if these studios are suddenly incapable of making games. It's a new generation and the novelty of the hardware combined with developing original IP means that you have to wait a little while sometimes.

So what 3rd party games besides the witcher do you think will get delayed? It happens every year, I wonder which ones aren't there this time

Probably not anything from EA. They've proven they'll release broken games instead of doing a delay.

Frillen

Please just don't buy the game. I don't want them changing this. I'll buy two copies so you don't have to buy one kthnx.

I don't think there's a real reason to fear the Witcher...at least compared to everything else that releases in October/November. Most of those games are 2-3x bigger (or more) than Witcher.

Neh, I'm still buying it, it just annoys me when black bars fill up one third of the screen. It almost drove me insane with Dragon's Dogma.

RiggyRob

Careful what you say, there are literally lot of money, man power and hope riding on that game lol

That's what they said about Titanfall.

OT: The Order being delayed shouldn't affect Sony too much, they'll have the superior multi-platform games to carry them, although having one 1st party game in Driveclub (which was delayed from 2013 itself) for 2014 is very unusual.

Ganondorfo

Why delay this game in the year of Metal gear solid 5, now metal gear solid phantom pain isnt going to win GAF GOTY 2015 and kojima will be sad, just because this sony game is delayed.

megalowho

If true it's good news for RAD and The Order, bad news for Sony. That'll be two holiday seasons in a row where they lean heavily on multiplatform games to carry their new console barring any major E3 surprises and another high profile first party delay. Not exactly what I was expecting as an early adopter considering their studio output late last gen. Wouldn't blame folks for holding off a while until picking one up if they already have means to play the multiplat stuff.

B.O.O.M

Or like Respawn's new game being exclusive to Sony.
Or like Sony Santa Monica being in trouble.
Or like Far Cry 4 being set in the Himalayas.
Or like Project Beast's very existence.

You're highlighting the exception as the standard.

utter nonsense. In this industry the false/inaccurate rumors/leaks far far outweigh the accurate ones.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The Evil Within
Destiny
Last of Us
Driveclub
Evolve
Arkham Knight
CoD 2014
AC 2014
BF 2014
LOTR game
Alien Isolation
The Crew
Dragon Age Inquisition
Minecraft
The Witness

Not bad considering we are still pre-E3.

I doubt many E3 games will come out this year aside from indies (which will be great). It's not how AAA marketing generally works. It's a goodish list though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom