• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF Meetup: March 31st - Hump Evilore Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

Jipan, prepare to have your stereotypes about Williamsburg destroyed. Can't believe you've never been here.

Oh, and the drinks there are like $13 for a liter, $7 for 0.5L, $20 for 1.5L. Considering how high the % is, it's not bad at all. Certainly not any different than Manhattan.

If it's 9 or past that, we should be fine. The place is usually most packed at around dinner time (since they make some pretty awesome, authentic German food. dem brats).
Like I said, I've lived in NY all my life, but I've never had much of a reason to go to Brooklyn. Off the top of my head, I've been to DUMBO (last New Years), Coney Island several times, got lost somewhere near Jay Street once trying to find Atlantic Ave at 2 AM, some restaurant in Bushwick I think to watch my bro play a gig, went to some beach/park somewhere where there were a ton of nice houses and lots of Russian business for my brother's girlfriend's baby shower last year and that's about it. Oh and I accidentally got off in Nostrand Ave once scared and confused. The drinks are reasonable I suppose. It's still kind of pricey though unless we order pitchers.

I'm surrounded by hipster type students every day I'm at school. Especially in my art classes. I'm expecting to see skinny skater jeans, people drinking wine, and lugging around portable record players playing Louis Armstrong.
Given how this forums has a distaste for hipsters (and a lack of definition for one), I'm not too terribly surprised.

Says the guy who likes wearing ties to every meet up. Can't say I'm a fan of them myself. I find them annoying if anything.

bob page

This will be my first time there too. How is it in Williamsburg?

I can wingman who ever we got this.

To be honest, it has some of the best bars in the city. Not to mention some great drunk food.

And yeah, I've never been carded in Brooklyn and I look like I'm 15.

Radegast is even bigger now than it is in that pic. They just built a huge expansion in the back so we should be set (they have three main halls total).

radegast_biergarten_williamsburg_brooklyn_ny_int.jpg
My buddy lives just down the road from this joint and is my fave drinking hole in Brooklyn...........which burns me even more I can't be there.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm surrounded by hipster type students every day I'm at school. Especially in my art classes. I'm expecting to see skinny skater jeans, people drinking wine, and lugging around portable record players playing Louis Armstrong.

Says the guy who likes wearing ties to every meet up. Can't say I'm a fan of them myself. I find them annoying if anything.
There are definitely the ones that are hipster by attitude and others that are "hipster" only in dress. I like to think I'm the latter. I get along with pretty much any person I meet, open to doing anything and most things real hipsters like to do seem boring as shit to me. The most common trait I probably share with hipsters is my taste in music and even then I listen to a lot of dumb music your average hipster might not like (everything from ODB to Andrew W.K.) I'm still a nerd first and foremost. This is just the style I've adopted for some time now.

bob page

There are definitely the ones that are hipster by attitude and others that are "hipster" only in dress. I like to think I'm the latter. I get along with pretty much any person I meet, open to doing anything and most things real hipsters like to do seem boring as shit to me. The most common trait I probably share with hipsters is my taste in music and even then I listen to a lot of dumb music your average hipster might not like (everything from ODB to Andrew W.K.) I'm still a nerd first and foremost. This is just the style I've adopted for some time now.

Yeah, same here. I'm not too fond of the "hipster by attitude" type, since they tend to be more moody and egotistical. I wear clothes that fit me, and since I'm pretty skinny, some tend to think I'm a hipster.

Point being, judge by attitude, not appearance. Especially in New York, since everyone else in the US pretty much considers all New Yorkers to be hipsters (ie. getting called a hipster in Michigan for wearing a v-neck).

Duki

Banned

how dare you, odb isnt dumb :mad:

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
To be honest, it has some of the best bars in the city. Not to mention some great drunk food.

And yeah, I've never been carded in Brooklyn and I look like I'm 15.

Radegast is even bigger now than it is in that pic. They just built a huge expansion in the back so we should be set (they have three main halls total).

Alright awesome I am exicted.

bob page

Williamsburg is pretty laid back with IDing. In fact I dont think I was ever carded there.

If a few of us want to start early, we can always go to McClaren Park during the day and drink. Turkey's Nest is a bar across the street from the park and they pour cheap beer in huge styrofoam cups so you can drink outdoors. There's also Berry Park which has rooftop seating. Case in point, I'd like to take full advantage of the beautiful weather we're having.

Totally missed this. I'd be down for pregaming there, as well.

number47

DRINK DRINK DRINK DRINK DRINK.
OHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

some people should be there early to secure the perimeter...i mean a table.

Mahonay

Banned
Queens is the next hipsterville. No one really knows about it, and it was on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations.
Queens is where it's at. I'm in Long Island City and I love it there. Really chill area. Still a little grimy but I like some grime.

Jhoan

Jipan: the hipster's hipster.
Haha, that I am. This is going to be the first beer garden I go to ever. I've heard that one that it's in Queens is really good. Admittedly, I've only been to the fictional Steinway Beer Garden in GTA IV . It looks like a nice place.

I just might invite a wingwoman since she lives down the L line. Should be an epic time.
Aren't you going to the Nero concert with -PXG- and Wizong?

Now that I think about it. I answered my own question in an earlier post. You guys are planning on heading over afterwards. The more, the merrier.

I've got nothing against them either and respect the culture. Typically, when I think of hipsters, I think of gentrification right away. But it's not like I would go up to one in the street and curse them out.

It's probably because I live in a neighborhood where gentrification is inevitable. I don't judge a person based on what subculture they belong to nor if they come from a higher socioeconomic status. It's true that in the end of the day it comes down to personality. I suppose I'm a hipster in my own way in that I like to listen to old music (think old Spanish music). I totally respect that though.

Mahonay

Banned
How's rent over in Sunnyside? I'd love to live near Queens Boulevard.
I'm planning on moving to Astoria in 2 months and it's around $2000 for a 1BR in a brand new building. Something similar would cost at least $1000 more in BK.
Eesh. My roommate and I have a 2 bedroom in a townhouse in LIC and it's $1,800. We even have a washer and dryer in the basement free for anyone's use which is PIMP.

I'm planning on moving to Astoria in 2 months and it's around $2000 for a 1BR in a brand new building. Something similar would cost at least $1000 more in BK.

I was in Astoria yesterday. Went to eat at a Puerto Rican restaurant, Don Coqui. Prices are a bit up there but damn was the food good! nice looking place 2.

Kccitystar

Aren't you going to the Nero concert with -PXG- and Wizong?

Now that I think about it. I answered my own question in an earlier post. You guys are planning on heading over afterwards. The more, the merrier.

Actually I wasn't able to score a ticket in time since I went to go see Justice on the 17th. It's a wild time to be a fan of EDM here in the city since there's a ridiculous amount of acts playing this weekend and next weekend q_q

Jhoan

Actually I wasn't able to score a ticket in time since I went to go see Justice on the 17th. It's a wild time to be a fan of EDM here in the city since there's a ridiculous amount of acts playing this weekend and next weekend q_q

Oh yeah, I remember you guys were talking about that. I could imagine the whole concert scene being crazy around this time. Well at least you'll be at the meet up full force. Hopefully -PXG- will too if he posts in this thread.

Mully

Childish Gambino is having a show at Central Park on July 25th, I'm probably going with some friends. It's $40 day of, so it's a good time.

Mully

OP's been updated. I'm starting to get a headcount as we speak, if you haven't posted yet, it'd be great to let us all know if you're coming.

Getting sauced with some GAFers I have never met before in Billyburg... definitely down. *subscribed*

I am bummed that I have missed the last three NYC meetups. G train or not, I'll try to make it.

Mully

Just based on general interest and a few people saying that they are "in", this is the list I have now. If you're on the wrong list, or not on the coming list, post in the thread or PM me. The list will be updated as it gets closer.

Coming

Jipan
Smokey
KC
Mahonay
Jamieson87
RawPower
Raging Spaniard
Jon Bones
Emily Chu
Commish
Acid08
Dmncby2k9
Number47
Shiggie
Bob Page
Gutterboy44

Maybe

JasonG
Slayer-33
Mammoth Jones
Houston3000
Joe Shlabotnik
Enduin
Prolougue
Schattnejagger

Not Coming

Dr. Eggman

Just based on general interest and a few people saying that they are "in", this is the list I have now. If you're on the wrong list, or not on the coming list, post in the thread or PM me. The list will be updated as it gets closer.

Coming

Maybe

Not Coming

Not sure how I ended up on the maybe list, but I definitely won't be there as it's a 40 hour round trip for me..........by airplane.

But please free feel to have a cold one for me in my absence.

Ezalc

How do you guys even know who's from GAF and who isn't? I wish I could go to this, I'd definitely enjoy playing pool with some GAFers.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
How do you guys even know who's from GAF and who isn't? I wish I could go to this, I'd definitely enjoy playing pool with some GAFers.

Most of us are posting on gaf while there. That is what happened Third and Long. Emily Chu sat next to me while he was browsing gaf and I was like Oh shit. Then others came in and you know who is a gaffer just by how they are.

We might do name tags.

Name tags are lame.

Get 2,000 people to throw in a buck and I'm there.

If 2,000 people came to this I would throw a buck in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom