• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Miyamoto interview: FZero and the origin of Link

Fabrik

Banned
It's in French:

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/miyamoto-la-wii-u-et-le-secret-de-la-triforce-A105550.html

- About FZero, he's surprised players want more of this series.

Gamekult: After a quick survey on Twitter, one of the game French gamers miss the most is F Zero. Nobody really understands why Nintendo hasn't made a new one since 2004. Is there a chance we can see it back on Wii U?

Miyamoto: :eyes open wide: I am really pleased to hear Twitter's opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has little evolved.
I thought people had grown weary of it. I'd like to say: Thank you very much and try to wait by playing Nintendoland's FZero minigame.
I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people: Why FZero? What do you want that we haven't done before?

- Link sprite was designed by Takashi Tezuka. Like Mario, they wanted a character that would be recognizable from his sword and shield so they thought of a long hat and long ears and went into the direction of an elf. At the time, when you said long ears you thought of Peter Pan and as he's a Disney fan, they drew inspiration from it.
Link's name come from the fact that originally, the fragments of the Triforce were supposed to be electronic chips. The game was to be set in both the past and the future and as the main character would travel between both and be the link between them, they called him Link.

Edit:
- Not a confirmation or anything but here's what he answered to the question: what do you see for the Metroid franchise on Wii U: something like Metroid Prime, Metroid Other M or a third way?
Since Wii U is a HD console with more hardware power, what we can naturally think about is a beautiful HD action game (Huge smile, meaning he won't say more).

It's in French:

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/miyamoto-la-wii-u-et-le-secret-de-la-triforce-A105550.html

- About FZero, he's surprised players want more of this series. The franchise hasn't evolved a lot for him and people should have grown tired of it. He's asking gamers: what is missing that hasn't been already done?

- Link sprite was designed by Takashi Tezuka. Like Mario, they wanted a character that would be recognizable from his sword and shield so they thought of a long hat and long ears and went into the direction of an elf. At the time, when you said long ears you thought of Peter Pan and as he's a Disney fan, they drew inspiration from it.
Link's name come from the fact that originally, the fragments of the Triforce were supposed to be electronic chips. The game was to be set in both the past and the future and as the main character would travel between both and be the link between them, they called him Link.

I may admire the man a lot, sometimes the way he thinks just baffles me :(

DaBuddaDa

- About FZero, he's surprised players want more of this series. The franchise hasn't evolved a lot for him and people should have grown tired of it. He's asking gamers: what is missing that hasn't been already done?

You could have asked the same thing about Mario Kart three iterations ago.

what

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I'd imagine it's Japanese being translated into French into English and the purple monkey dishwashers that arise from that.

Or, if he really did mean that, maybe he just correctly thinks F-Zero GX is the perfect game.

Kyzer

Banned
Y U WANT MO F-ZERO? IT'S THE SAME

BUT ZELDA IS SO PHRESH AND SO CLEAN

I mean...it is.

Every Zelda game is really different. Twilight Princess, one of the best games ever, was very OoT-like and gets infinite slack for it.

Wut?

I thought it was the "Link" between the game and the player?

- About FZero, he's surprised players want more of this series. The franchise hasn't evolved a lot for him and people should have grown tired of it. He's asking gamers: what is missing to you that haven't been already done?
Like Mario Kart and Zelda have completely changed from one game to the next...

- 16-32 player online arcade racing
- Complete customization options for building F-Zero tracks from scratch
- A futuristic Full HD racer from Nintendo
- A "core" racing experience we haven't had since the gamecube a decade ago
- Online parts trading with friends

People have different opinions than you, Miyamoto. Welcome to the rest of the world.

linko9

My thoughts exactly. How's the series supposed to evolve if you don't let anyone make a new one? And honestly, there's no shame in making a straightforward, HD sequel to the best racing game ever made. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Geek

Ninny Prancer

Put guns on the cars. People love that.

dani_dc

It's in French:

There's always more to be done with any given franchise, with that said, and without even having to change anything in the base gameplay, a F-zero with online gameplay would be the most obvious response to his question.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Let's see, F-Zero X evolved the series in a shitload of ways, 60 FPS with 30 visible cars for one. GX brought the hardcore element into the series and was pretty fucking amazing, it also had story (Rage) mode with amazingly cheesy cinematics.

What I want is UX or 3DX or whatever with MORE story, MORE campy cutscenes.

Basically, Miyamoto, F-Zero is so good I simply want more of it. Now, if the interviewer had balls, he'd draw a comparison to Mario Kart.

Edit: Then again, just because Miyamoto doesn't see the appeal of F-Zero doesn't mean the series is dead. Maybe he simply doesn't like hardcore racing games.

There have been 7 Mario Kart games and to be honest, they aren't all that different from each other.

I'd like another F-Zero in the vein of F-Zero GX though. Preferably as a collaboration between Nintendo and Sega's AM2 division. Online play and a track editor could go a long way...

linko9

About the computer chip thing: Sometimes I wonder if Miyamoto just makes shit up on the spot. I wouldn't put it past him. He gets asked these sorts of questions so often, eventually he's got to spice things up and just start giving bullshit answers. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he just make up that computer chip story then and there :D

9yMhYsJupniJKhmxvyDLZiYZdfo6-bDr.jpg

new-super-mario-bros-u2.png

SO DIFFERENT

Richie

That Miyamoto's stance on F-Zero hasn't changed after all this time comes as surprising, even more so considering the franchise's representation in NintendoLand. One would think that, by introducing the series to a new audience, they're at the very least discussing a new installment.

Please don't tell me that we're meant to see F-Zero in the same group as Takamaru, Game & Watch and Balloon Fight!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Youre all missing the point.

If a game series is not going to change much from iteration from iteration, it better make a shitload of money.

F-Zero does neither.

Like...

Maybe Miyamoto actually doesn't know. Like, the teams show him these mocked up pictures and videos of revolutionary brand new NSMB and Mario Kart games and he laughs and smiles and walks out of the room with a big thumbs up, and then the team quietly ships the real game.

That Miyamoto's stance on F-Zero hasn't changed after all this time comes as surprising, even more so considering the franchise's representation in NintendoLand. One would think that, by introducing the series to a new audience, they're at the very least discussing a new installment.

Please don't tell me that we're meant to see F-Zero in the same group as Takamaru, Game & Watch and Balloon Fight!

What's "F-Zero"? NintendoLand has an attraction called Captain Falcon's Twister Race, if that's what you mean. You know, like from Super Smash Bros.!

Top Bottom