• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO, where does this put games like golden Sun DS, and Scribble 2. Kinda hoping they just get pushed back really, Ive waited this long for Golden Sun, I'd rather it use the new tech

big_z

MisterHero said:
Face tracking

the screens change the camera angle of the content based on where the player's face is and how eyes would normally interpret 3d objects (thus the DSi cameras)

well that's my crappy guess anyways

there's also a way to do it by layering lcd screens. demos of these tvs were shown in japan recently and monitor versions have been shown a few years ago although the tech was very expensive and early back then.

later

So does this mean there won't be 2 screens? I think the effect would be kind of broken if there is a big gap in between the 3D graphics.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Cep said:
Tech-gaf, ASSEMBLE!

To be able to do 3D, how much power would this thing need?

If they are really saying no glasses, then they probably have the "glasses" themselves as the screen. So the screen will need to be slightly bigger and the hardware will need to be able to output two simultaneous images.

So, not much more than the DS already has.

L00P

I really can't wrap my head around the "3D without the glasses" thing. How the heck does that even work?!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
later said:
So does this mean there won't be 2 screens? I think the effect would be kind of broken if there is a big gap in between the 3D graphics.
It still has DS in the title soo? must have two screens. It seems to be a winning formula.

Two things to expect:

1. Customers suing Nintendo for eye problems.

2. A bunch of companies suing Nintendo for patent infringement: "We thought of it first! See? We patented that technology in 1986!"

Dresden

I'm going to laugh my ass off if it just has two screens side-by-side on the bottom that you see at the same time to create a pseudo-3D effect.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Android18a said:
How does 3D gaming work if you've got no depth perception?

I've got a squint, and my brain compensated at a young age by making it so I only really "see" through one eye at a time. I've never been able to "do" 3D. Will this still be playable? o_o

Hopefully there's a feature that lets you turn it off and revert to regular 2D gameplay.

GCX

Android18a said:
How does 3D gaming work if you've got no depth perception?

I've got a squint, and my brain compensated at a young age by making it so I only really "see" through one eye at a time. I've never been able to "do" 3D. Will this still be playable? o_o
I'm pretty sure Nintendo won't eliminate players with no depth perception since there's quite a lot of them. But we'll see.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
PantherLotus said:
If they are really saying no glasses, then they probably have the "glasses" themselves as the screen. So the screen will need to be slightly bigger and the hardware will need to be able to output two simultaneous images.

So, not much more than the DS already has.

So most likely this will be one screen displaying 3D instead of two?

madara

Finally some vindication. Been saying for ages the next handhelds could do proper depth perception with their special little screens better then tvs. Hope its hot tech.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
BocoDragon said:
It still has DS in the title soo? must have two screens. It seems to be a winning formula.

3d s not 3 DS right? So the real question is the S Screen or Screens?

Majine

Banned
The general response from people is: What!? :lol

Yeah, this took us all by surprise. Ninty-style!

It prints holographic money?

Ashes

Banned
bafflewaffle said:
:lol oh gaf

if a new nintendo console sounds stupid on paper, it will be great and successful

if a new nintendo console sounds great and successful on paper, it will be shit

this will fail

now why you gotta say stuff like that huh...?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Hey guys, the screen itself almost certainly functions as the pair of "3d glasses"

It's probably just polarized and the two screens are projected behind it.

-Eddman-

WOW... and out of the blue... fucking epic megaton meltdowns incoming.

So the question now is: 3D graphic powerhouse or 3D conservative hardware??

entremet

Why is everyone surprised? Weren't there some murmuring about this E3 being a showcase for the new Nintendo portable? The DS line will be 5 years in few months, so it only makes sense.

Apath

BocoDragon said:
Hopefully now the gap between the two screens will be extremely minimal, as well as touch screen capabilities on both.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Interesting news. E3 is shaping up quite nicely already.

I am quite intrigued how the 'Naked Eye 3D' comes into play.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
PantherLotus said:
Hey guys, the screen itself almost certainly functions as the pair of "3d glasses"

It's probably just polarized and the two screens are projected behind it.

That's what I was thinking. ^_^

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So wait...3D ISN'T a fad? Color me intrigued. Nintendo does it yet again.

Tim-E said:
If a 3D handheld from Nintendo would have been announced several years ago, this thread would resemble the threads from when the DS and Wii were announced.

there is the avatard joy juice issue, but 3d is more visual graphic than control of ds or wii, so hc gamer types are more into it, so I do not agree with you

KevinCow

Banned
Blablurn said:
how does 3D without glasses work?

Glasses-free 3DTVs exist in prototype now. Their main issue is that the 3D only works if you're sitting in certain spots.

When it comes to handhelds, though, they can pretty safely assume that your head will be directly in front of the screen, a foot or so away.

Ravidrath

Wow, surprised they went ahead and announced it.

But, yeah... it's true. This was floating around GDC as being confirmed by people working on the hardware.

What I've heard is...

1) Two screens, with virtually no seam between them when open
2) Screens are higher resolution, but exact resolution is unknown
3) Powered by nVidia Tegra
4) Roughly as powerful as a Gamecube, and apparently similar to program for
5) Uses carts - believed to be same size as DS/DSi carts, only with different guts
6) Due out in 2010 in at least one territory

Looking forward to seeing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom