• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devolution: Play GameCube games on Wii/WiiU, now compatible with CC, WiiU CC and DS3

TunaLover

Yep, you read right, Devolution is an app long developed by djtuei, finally he manage to add the Wiimote bluetooth module.

djtuei said:
DEVOLUTION: What is it and how do you use it?

Devolution is a loader designed to run Gamecube games on a Wii. Dolphin was the codename for the Gamecube, Revolution was the codename for the Wii, add them together = Devolution.
Although most Wii models include backwards compatibility for Gamecube games it is rather limited; support for several Gamecube peripherals is missing, the original wired
controllers must be used, unreliable memory cards are still required for saving games...
It seemed like it should be possible to do things better. So I did...

Devolution currently offers the following enhancements to the regular "Gamecube on Wii"
experience:
- Alternative mediums for loading games (SD and USB)
- Alternative controllers (Wiimote with classic controller, WiiU Pro Controller, PS3
controller)
- Alternative mediums as memory cards (SD and USB)
- Emulation of the Gamecube modem hardware using the Wii's networking hardware (wifi or wired)
- Wii Family Edition and WiiU support
- Up to four Wiimotes-Classic Controllers for multiplayer

Wiimote features said:
- MINUS/SELECT + DPAD LEFT: Toggle the global widescreeen setting.
- MINUS/SELECT + DPAD UP: If the game is currently asking to switch discs, load the
next .iso file (performs the same function as pressing the Eject button).
- MINUS/SELECT + DPAD DOWN: Simulate pressing the Gamecube's Reset button.
- MINUS/SELECT + DPAD RIGHT: Toggle the Slot Led activity indicator setting.
- MINUS/SELECT + A/CIRCLE: Toggle the global rumble setting for all emulated controllers.
This can be used to override the system global Wiimote rumble setting (which is set by
bringing up the home screen for any official wii software).
- MINUS/SELECT + B/CROSS: Toggle the screen dimmer.

DS3 Features said:
PS3 controllers support two extra functions:
- L1 + R1: When the PS3 controller is connected to the wii via USB this will write the
wii's Bluetooth address to the controller's memory so it can be used wirelessly. This only
needs to be done once (until the address is overwritten).
- L3 + R3: Exit Devolution (performs the same function as pressing the power button).

About GCN triggers said:
When a WiiU Pro or Wiimote+Classic Controller is active, pressing the L button (or ZL for the original classic controller) will toggle the "C-Stick Trigger" mode - when it is active, pressing the right stick up emulates pressing the right analog trigger and pressing the right stick down emulates pressing the left analog trigger.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolution-public-release.330554/

The current version is r200, so don't mind if it say r159 in the description (it will have the latest version)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Still confused how to get this running on my WiiU, will it read the tiny discs ok without getting stuck?

Probably only works with ROM dumps, but I'm not 100% sure.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, from what I get from the GBAtemp thread, it's only working with .iso dumps. Way less interesting for me now.

Megatonneth. Eliminates the need for discs at all and memory cards yay.

Also, would it be possible to play Mario Kart: DD online using this method?

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, from what I get from the GBAtemp thread, it's only working with .iso dumps. Way less interesting for me now.

Well yeah, the disk drive (and newer Wii models) can't read the tiny GC disks. You got to rip them before hand. Luckily I already did this with my GC collection when I had an old Wii.

gngf123

Still confused how to get this running on my WiiU, will it read the tiny discs ok without getting stuck?

Think you are going to need to ROM dump. Alternatively, I think there was an adapter for the wii mini that might work? Not sure about that one.

Crediar has a couple of videos up of Wind Waker working on WiiU through vWii that might be worth looking at as well.

Tripon

Would like to see this running in action before I do this. I assume I would need to homebrew my Wii U or Wii to do it as well.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So a homebrew app does what i expected Nintendo to offer from the get go via Virtual Console ? But it seems like they dont want or need our money.

Didnt even know that homebrew works on WiiU via Wii BC.

Cbajd5

You still need the discs at least once to use this, it requires verification you own the game compared to the ISO you use. So you need to make a 1:1 rip and then verify it using the same disc, and you need an GC compatible Wii to do that. And then you can use it on the Wii U after that, I guess. (Looking at the readme, this is done by using the same Wii Remote on both. That's pretty cool.)

And you need to re-verify games with this new version if you've used previous versions of the application as well, apparently.

I'll try it later...

Readme said:
When using a Wiimote+Classic Controller, the Wiimote will rumble to match the emulated
Gamecube controller - this is intentional, since there are "retro" classic controllers
that feature a built-in Wiimote
. There's no way to distinguish them from the software's
point of view.

wait these sound cool why haven't i heard of them before

wrowa

Wow, this is amazing. I don't even care about Wii U support, being able to play Gamecube games on Wii without a GameCube controller and, more importantly, without a memory card is a megaton.

Berordn

So it ought to work with the images that I make using my own discs in Configurable, right? Might be worth checking out since Dios Mios not supporting streaming audio is killing me.

TunaLover

Well yeah, the disk drive (and newer Wii models) can't read the tiny GC disks. You got to rip them before hand. Luckily I already did this with my GC collection when I had an old Wii.

You can rip your GCN games in a GCN compatible Wii store it in your HDD, then use this same HDD in conjuntion with the Wiimote used for disc verification.

From the readme said:
Step 5 (OPTIONAL): If you plan on playing the game on other Wii or WiiU consoles, you will need to connect one or more wiimotes to the wii now. If the wiimotes are not currently paired with this Wii just press the red sync button on both the wii and the wiimote and wait for it to connect. Once connected it should have one light flashing on and off repeatedly.

In the future when you launch this game using Devolution it should start without needing to insert the original disc. However if you launch the game on a different Wii/WiiU, you will need to perform Step 5 (connect one of the same wiimotes used in the original process) instead of being able to skip boths Steps 5 and 6. Only wiimotes may be used for this purpose, not WiiU Pro controllers nor PS3 controllers. No guarantees are made for the behaviour of third-party wiimotes.

The Wiimote acts as "passport" to allow play in other Wii/WiiU

Unai

Wait a minute, does this mean I can play xenoblade with a wireless controller? Or is it just for gamecube games?

FSLink

Banned
Hm, since it uses a Wiimote for verification, I'm gonna have to rerip my collection and borrow a friend's Wii. Kind of a pain, but oh well. I see why they did it to combat piracy. :p

I already have every worthwhile gamecube game on disc, it might be worth looking into ripping the .isos if this really will let me play on the wii u. Only having to keep one nintendo console out would be useful.

corn_fest

Having to re-rip all of those games on an old Wii to use this on a Wii U sounds like a huge pain in the ass.
But hey, gotta prevent piracy of games that are no longer sold by the manufacturer, right?

Drago

Oh damn, I might try to set this up today. GameCube games with a DS3 sounds divine, not to mention being able to use my WiiU as a three-in-one system.

Will I be able to load games off of a 16gb flash drive or do I need a HDD? I believe I can reading the OP but I may be mistaking something

wrowa

The Wiimote acts as "passport" to allow play in other Wii/WiiU

So, it's using the build-in memory of the Wiimote? That's pretty damn clever.

I really like the effort they are putting into it to prevent privacy. Even if pirates will likely find a way to prevent the check regardless.

Holy balls this is amazing. Ho. Ly. Balls.
So glad this now supports actual Ninty controllers, now Ill get it installed.

FSLink

Banned
Is there a workaround if you say, finish Path of Radiance with this, and then want to transfer the save data for Radiant Dawn on the Wii?

Top Bottom