• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Ryder Family Screenshot Thread

masseffectandromedatrrdkk2.png

I see we're still in the age of 'super fugly fully customizable character faces'.

EDIT:

I mean, as in: you can keep trying, but the face will still turn out ugly.

Mr_Zombie

Oh Bioware, never change. I may actually use up all of my 10 hours in the character creator and the opening of the game. I had created what I thought was a tolerable Scott Ryder, only to discover that up close and with the in-game lighting, he suffers from horrible crow's feet and lumpy skin. Someone definitely hasn't been moisturizing for the past 600 odd years.

It's amazing that after so many games there's still no good preview option in Bioware games. No option to see the face under different lighting, no option to see the face with different facial expressions. I remember the character creator from EVE Online. Not only was that CC amazing when it comes to graphics and overall customization, it also allowed you to get a portrait picture of your character, where you could pose your character and add various light sources. That way you could throughouly inspect your character's face.

It's amazing that after so many games there's still no good preview option in Bioware games. No option to see the face under different lighting, no option to see the face with different facial expressions. I remember the character creator from EVE Online. Not only was that CC amazing when it comes to graphics and overall customization, it also allowed you to get a portrait picture of your character, where you could pose your character and add various light sources. That way you could throughouly inspect your character's face.

And initially all of that was just for a static portrait picture.

Reminds me of CNN's Kate Boldaun. Obviously Kate doesn't look insane though. 😂

Kate-Bolduan.jpg

Ha, considering all the goofy facial expressions Ryder makes, her looking slightly insane actually works well... at least for me.

And initially all of that was just for a static portrait picture.

Ha, considering all the goofy facial expressions Ryder makes, her looking slightly insane actually works well... at least for me.
Just wait. With the way your Ryder looks there, you're in for some good laughs during somewhat serious conversations later on. Oh man.

Rellik

That was my issue with DA:I. Every time I created a character that looked good, they'd look completely different in the game. So then I'd have to restart the game (this was before the Black Emporium DLC that allowed you to edit your character - something that should have been in the game day 1)

Anyway, I'll keep all this in mind when I get my hands on this game. I plan to start with the Asian female default and modify that.

Forgot to get a close-up of Sara's face. I'm not really happy with either of the twins but it was the best I could do with the game's terrible character creator.

Says its a terrible character creator>shows screens of a great face, better than the one in the game.

Man, it looks like a literal european football player in a good way if you tried to go for that kind of thing.
Is not my cup of tea in character design but i thibk it looks great.

Harlequin

Says its a terrible character creator>shows screens of a great face, better than the one in the game.

Man, it looks like a literal european football player in a good way if you tried to go for that kind of thing.
Is not my cup of tea in character design but i thibk it looks great.

It's not at all what I wanted to do, though. I had to seriously compromise on the overall design to create a face that looked alright to me. But thanks :).

The Alec Ryder face auto-generation is, like, the only thing impressive involving faces in all of ME Andromeda. Somehow with leading characters who look like puddy-faced nightmares, supporting characters who look like mannequins wearing clown makeup, and unfathomably hideous presets, Alec Ryder somehow always comes out looking pretty good.

So it's still not possible to make a good looking female character? The male ones don't look too bad.
I like mine :)

Definitely possible, but it does seem easier to make a good looking male, in general. Though, sadly, this is nothing new for the Mass Effect series.

Skyr

Forgot to get a close-up of Sara's face. I'm not really happy with either of the twins but it was the best I could do with the game's terrible character creator.

Nice, that might be the best looking one I have seen.

I want to go for a similar look.
Do you know which base you used?

Harlequin

Nice, that might be the best looking one I have seen.

I want to go for a similar look.
Do you know which base you used?

I think I used Head 6. Was going to reimport it from the Archives to check (and make some screenshots of the specific settings) but apparently, the Archives aren't up yet.

The hair looks so fucking bad, did hair even look that bad last gen? jesus

yeah what the fuck? why 0 progress?

i remember being bummed out by shitty looking hair a decade ago making characters in Oblivion, ME1 etc and thinking "oh well, some day when we get a PS4 we'll have much more realistic hair".

the fact that we're still at this point is sad.

yeah what the fuck? why 0 progress?

i remember being bummed out by shitty looking hair a decade ago making characters in Oblivion, ME1 etc and thinking "oh well, some day when we get a PS4 we'll have much more realistic hair".

the fact that we're still at this point is sad.
Some of the hair types still have that plastic sheen, but it does weave and bob somewhat realistically to the player's movement now, so it's definitely better than what they've done before (even though it's nowhere near Witcher 3 quality).

Adryuu

Really liking this one. Care to share it so we can tune it further?

Lucha is also really nice, I'll ask the same, please.

So far both are the only ones I'd use.

Please post more serious attempts! I'm regaining hope lol.

Gah, I don't know how to feel about this character creator. One the one hand, it solves the problem the original trilogy had where everyone's femShep looked really similar (those duck lips). But it solves that by creating several different base appearances to use, with barely ANY variations allowed within those presets. Eyes for example can only be moved up/down, back/forwards, and further apart. There are no different eye shapes to choose between, no option to change their size, no option to change their angle, no option to increase/decrease squint amounts.

I was really happy with my original trilogy femShep, making her look slightly Asian to create a somewhat unique look. In Andromeda there's an Asian face preset that looks AMAZING with some tweaking, but because everyone who chooses this preset will have to use the same eyes, eyebrows, lips, nose, skin complexion etc... it means our Asian femRyders will only differ by hairstyle and eye colour. We won't be able to get the same variety of character appearance that we could with the original trilogy within these presets, which is something I never expected. It's like they put in a lot of groundwork for the character creator with the different race options, then got bored or ran out of time before they could add many of the options that became standard in character customization a decade ago.

Lorna Ryder:

Hayden Shepard:

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Gah, I don't know how to feel about this character creator. One the one hand, it solves the problem the original trilogy had where everyone's femShep looked really similar (those duck lips). But it solves that by creating several different base appearances to use, with barely ANY variations allowed within those presets. Eyes for example can only be moved up/down, back/forwards, and further apart. There are no different eye shapes to choose between, no option to change their size, no option to change their angle, no option to increase/decrease squint amounts.

I was really happy with my original trilogy femShep, making her look slightly Asian to create a somewhat unique look. In Andromeda there's an Asian face preset that looks AMAZING with some tweaking, but because everyone who chooses this preset will have to use the same eyes, eyebrows, lips, nose, skin complexion etc... it means our Asian femRyders will only differ by hairstyle and eye colour. We won't be able to get the same variety of character appearance that we could with the original trilogy within these presets, which is something I never expected. It's like they put in a lot of groundwork for the character creator with the different race options, then got bored or ran out of time before they could add many of the options that became standard in character customization a decade ago.

Lorna Ryder:

Hayden Shepard:

Yeah, they could easily fix that by adding different types of brows, eyes, noses and mouths. I mean, they could do that in the trilogy, why not here? We're basically stuck with the types that comes with each presets.

Yeah, they could easily fix that by adding different types of brows, eyes, noses and mouths. I mean, they could do that in the trilogy, why not here? We're basically stuck with the types that comes with each presets.
The lack of eyebrow style and eye/lip size customization is just.... Odd. There's no reason not to have it. 🙃

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sara (main character):

Scott (NPC):

Alec (holy shit):

I might try and get more shots of Alec at some point. He turned out amazing for an autogenerated character.

He's not really 'auto-generated' in the sense that the game actually factors your sculpted Ryders to determine his appearance. The only thing that matters is what preset you choose as your main Ryder, and that's pretty much it.

SlickVic

Though the character creator is a bit more limited than I'd like, I'm actually pleasantly surprised with how nice some of the results are coming out, both in this thread and r/ShareYourRyders.

I've been messing around a bit with the character creator on PC and kind of liked this Ryder. Undecided if I'll go with something different when I start my actual game with a PS4 copy.

He's not really 'auto-generated' in the sense that the game actually factors your sculpted Ryders to determine his appearance. The only thing that matters is what preset you choose as your main Ryder, and that's pretty much it.

Isn't that pretty much how your mother and sibling ended up looking in DA2?

arhra

This is exceptional. No way of sharing the character visual stats, is there?

Actually, I was paranoid about whether the online import/export stuff would work, and figured I might want to recreate the character later, so I took screenshots of all the sliders after I was done.

You should be able to see them all if you scroll down a bit on my screenshots on xboxdvr.com (at least for the time being).

Top Bottom