• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: Gaming hits $91 billion in 2016 (Mobile $41B, Retail $26B, free2play $19B)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Good odds of crossing $100 billion next year.

VentureBeat said:
Games generated $91 billion worldwide in 2016, according to a report from market researcher SuperData Research.

The mobile game segment was the largest at $41 billion, followed by $26 billion for retail games and $19 billion for free-to-play online games. New categories such as virtual reality, esports, and gaming video content were small in size, but they are growing fast and holding promise for 2017, SuperData said.
Source: http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/21/w...evenues-in-2016-with-mobile-the-clear-leader/

Platform breakdown of digital sales (for the first three), and I think that's VR everything:

superdata-year-in-revfgubx.png

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
VR almost half of consoles...
I don't believe it,.

I'm assuming VR covers everything. Not just software, but all the hardware stuff - Rift, Vive, PSVR, and all the mobile options like Gear or Cardboard along with their software.

Takuan

Great to see PC thriving.

F2P representing 19B is a little concerning. Obviously, it's a popular model and we've seen f2p mechanics creep into games selling at full retail price. It's just a matter of time before some suits decide to push boundaries a bit further - if they haven't already done so.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do they have a breakdown of where the $41B of mobile money is made? IAPs, ads, etc.?
I'll download the report a bit later, but they make you go through a free checkout process this year instead of just letting you download it easily.

That said, the vast majority of it is going to be IAP followed by ads, and not much else.

yuraya

PC and Mobile are doing really good. Nintendo has the opportunity to take over the mobile world if they really beef up their support in the coming years.

Console revenue is lower than I expected.

Console gaming needs more F2P killer apps. MS/Sony spend so much money every year its really inexcusable for them not to have their own League/Dota/Hearthstone etc.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Console gaming needs more F2P killer apps. MS/Sony spend so much money every year its really inexcusable for them not to have their own League/Dota/Hearthstone etc.

Part of their issues is demographics. This is where the f2p revenue was being made:

Technically consoles do have f2p-esque games - EA Sports Ultimate Team makes over $650 million a year in f2p card packs - but they generally also have a $60 upfront price tag.

Acinixys

Great to see PC thriving.

F2P representing 19B is a little concerning. Obviously, it's a popular model and we've seen f2p mechanics creep into games selling at full retail price. It's just a matter of time before some suits decide to push boundaries a bit further - if they haven't already done so.

Its not all bad

Apart from mobile garbage the biggest F2P games are things like League/DotA/HotS etc

Isn't that image misleading? If I understand correctly the $6.6 billion figure is for digital downloads on console. Total console revenue should be most of the $26 billion in retail plus 6.6 billion in digital sales, correct? So let's say $30 or so billion in total?

no sure, what that 6.6bn console figure should be, but Sonys network sales for the past 4 quarter are $5bn alone (network sales only, without physical)
to be fair, those network sales include ps vue, ps now and movies, music and whatever is sold on their platform, too but that is a very minor part

sony_segments21zux0.png

i assume that figure should be digital only sales. everything else does not make sense at all.
and even in that case i find the number to be a pretty low estimate

Isn't that image misleading? If I understand correctly the $6.6 billion figure is for digital downloads on console. Total console revenue should be most of the $26 billion in retail plus 6.6 billion in digital sales, correct? So let's say $30 or so billion in total?

i would understand it that way.
a very! very! vague breakdown of the total gaming market is 1/3 mobile, 1/3 pc and 1/3 console

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
You're right about 6.6B representing digital sales only.

Consumers increasingly download games directly to their consoles, spending $6.6 billion on digital downloads in 2016. The move improves margins across the board, and allows publishers to generate revenue through the sales of add-on content, expansion packs, and micro-transactions.

Calm Mind

PC and Mobile are doing really good. Nintendo has the opportunity to take over the mobile world if they really beef up their support in the coming years.

The problem with whale hunting is eventually the whales go extinct.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, that would also make sense. I've put a note in the OP. They're presumably the digital sales for each, since the first two platforms are effectively all digital.

PC is a beast.

If you're a gamer and don't have (or are not saving for) a capable gaming PC I don't know what the fuck you're doing with your life anymore.

Fucking A...mazing. Things I think will continue to grow for a while too. PC is offering more than ever before. I really hope we see true cross-play for all MP too with Xbox titles going forward and maybe eventually just cross platform/agnosticism in general. Anyone know how that Gears of War test run went?

manzo

PC is a beast.

If you're a gamer and don't have (or are not saving for) a capable gaming PC I don't know what the fuck you're doing with your life anymore.

I'm doing just fine. Consoles have everything PC has to offer in me eyes.

Nintendo and Sony makes PC redundant for me.

viHuGi

Banned
PC is a beast.

Huh what? I have no interest on building a pc but thanks for the concern my money is on the Switch and Nintendo games to complement my Ps4 Pro.

But hey pc gaming is great, so is Console.

Also great numbers for Console gaming specially when prices on Hardware are dropping fast, over 30 billion all things combined is Amazing.

Mobile is a juggernaut, let's see if it lasts or not.

Pc also doing great!

Tecnniqe

Banned
Fucking A...mazing. Things I think will continue to grow for a while too. PC is offering more than ever before. I really hope we see true cross-play for all MP too with Xbox titles going forward too. Anyway know how that Gears of War test run went?
Never heard anything after it finished.

It's a weird one because controllers are very competitive in that game with everything but sniper and torque for the most part due to precision.
I'm doing just fine. Consoles have everything PC has to offer in me eyes.

Nintendo and Sony makes PC redundant for me.
oZ8aJ.gif

Moonstone

Console revenue seems quite low by comparison.

I expected a lot more honestly.

It is way to low.
For instance germany had in 2015 ~ 798 revenue in mio € console game sales (incl. digital).
PC ~ 348 mio €

Accoding to BIU/GFK. That's without DLC and virtual goods, which includes PC and perhaps other categories but was at 562 m €

https://www.biu-online.de/marktdaten/deutscher-markt-fuer-digitale-spiele-2015/

For UK whe had this ukie report:
http://ukie.org.uk/press-release/2016/02/uk-games-market-soars-past-£41bn
Digital Console and PC 1224m GBP. And console should be the major factor in here.
Mobile gaming was at 664m GBP.
And this is € and GBP - while superdata lists $.

Us video game software (retail only) was at 5,17 B$
http://cdn.gamer-network.net/2015/articles/1/8/0/5/4/4/3/npd-145281397944.png/EG11/resize/714x-1

US alone could be above 6,6B$ with dlc and digital sales. And there are also the subscriptions for online services from MS and Sony.

Console gaming seems way to low even if they don't include december. Doesn't compute at all.

PC is an ocean. This doesn't mean that "high end" pc gaming is making all this money. I say this because you will get a bunch of people associating these two, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever. This doesn't justify your high end pc purchase, nor does it need to.

The data also shows why it has essentially become a games-as-service industry. Let's see how things progress.

Seeing that mobile number just makes me think f2p is the now and future and we'll be seeing them more and more on console.

I don't have an issue with f2p but my biggest problem console f2p is that the vast majority of them feel like they are on a shoestring budget and not nearly enough effort goes into them.
It is way to low.
For instance germany had in 2015 ~ 798 revenue in mio € console game sales (incl. digital).
PC ~ 348 mio €

Accoding to BIU/GFK. That's without DLC and virtual goods, which includes PC and perhaps other categories but was at 562 m €

https://www.biu-online.de/marktdaten/deutscher-markt-fuer-digitale-spiele-2015/

For UK whe had this ukie report:
http://ukie.org.uk/press-release/2016/02/uk-games-market-soars-past-£41bn
Digital Console and PC 1224m GBP. And console should be the major factor in here.
Mobile gaming was at 664m GBP.
And this is € and GBP - while superdata lists $.

Us video game software (retail only) was at 5,17 B$
http://cdn.gamer-network.net/2015/articles/1/8/0/5/4/4/3/npd-145281397944.png/EG11/resize/714x-1

US alone could be above 6,6B$ with dlc and digital sales. And there are also the subscriptions for online services from MS and Sony.

Console gaming seems way to low even if they don't include december. Doesn't compute at all.
Someone in the other thread said this was console digital, not physical where console makes its money.

which part of asia is spending so much money on pc gaming

I guess a lot of it has to do with the shear amount of people though. I don't think they actually spend more per person, not at all. Games are also a lot cheaper there but I know some of them get super addicted to F2P models and spend a lot

Kill3r7

Games as a service is the future. The data supports it and we can choose to ignore it but it doesn't make it any less true.

Tecnniqe

Banned
PC is an ocean. This doesn't mean that "high end" pc gaming is making all this money. I say this because you will get a bunch of people associating these two, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever. This doesn't justify your high end pc purchase, nor does it need to.

The data also shows why it has essentially become a games-as-service industry. Let's see how things progress.
Well the justification for high end PC is better visuals and performance, however this means nothing as consoles are far from high end themselves so I'm not sure where you're going...

Top Bottom