• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBW Rumor: The Next Xbox Has A Wii U Like Tablet Controller With HD Screen, Buttons

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks to TheOddOne for finding this.

Xbox World Magazine said:
The next Xbox will be a matt-black media hub with a mission to bring games to life in your living room with augmented reality, directional sound, and a four-player finger-tracking Kinect. We told you all that last month. This month, our sources tell us it will have a touchscreen, too.

Microsoft are experimenting with a tablet-like controller with a shape closer to Sony's sleek Vita handheld / Apple's iPad than Wii U's bulky unit - it's an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks.

On 360 that touchscreen will be second only to Kinect in how you operate your console. It could be a remote control when you're watching TV, a browser when you're on the internet, extra buttons and information when playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you.

Expect to see the next Xbox at E3 this June.
Source: It's in the magazine. There's a bit more to the article, but it's just speculation that this sounds rather expensive.

Sony and MS not wanting to be caught with their pants down like they were this gen? Or simply baseless rumoring?

Stay tuned, as we'll find out in the next 12 months.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Wouldn't be shocked if it's the truth.

edit:

keyword: experimenting.

First thought: awesome, the controller screen has been awesome since the Dreamcast.

Second thought: awesome, less excuse not to port to Wii U (they still won't though)

Third thought: eh, I'm not buying another Microsoft console, so whatever.

Won't hate on it until I see how they plan on utilizing it. If I can have a secondary screen instead of having to fill my tv screen with HUD and menus I am ok with it.

I'd still rather see companion apps for games that work on ios/android/W8 devices than a heavier, more complicated controller.

clemenx

Banned
Microsoft are experimenting with a tablet-like controller with a shape closer to Sony's sleek Vita handheld / Apple's iPad than Wii U's bulky unit - it's an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks.
Vita I can see but how's the WiiU tablet bulkier than the iPad?

The Hermit

it's an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks

220px-Sega_Dreamcast_Controller_(PAL).png

?

Anyone who thought this wasn't the case was living in la-la land IMO. Will be interesting to see if it is true, but a tablet controller was clearly the next logical step for home consoles. Whether it was Nintendo that sparked the move or Microsoft's internal R&D...who knows? All I know is it makes a hell of a lot of sense for all manufacturers.

The_Monk

I wonder if I'm the only one that, regarding the PS4 and the next Xbox all I want is:

The console itself.
One controller.

V_Ben

Banned
This thing is sounding more and more like some kind of swiss army knife of games with all these rumours. Crikey.

If all 3 manufacturers do this, is that actually good or bad for Apple?

" The additional cost of a screened controller could certainly explain the most recent dev kit leaks."

...go on.

Can't we just have a more powerful console with standard controls. Oh and I want all games to be available for download the same day they're available at retail.

Dabanton

If the controller kept the form of the 360 controller i would be ok with it just with a VMU style screen in the middle of it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I think it would be pretty entertaining if this rumor became true, but it won't. I just wanna see shit hit the fans.

V_Ben

Banned
If the controller kept the form of the 360 controller i would be ok with it just with a VMU style screen in the middle of it.

Yeah, if we basically replace the 360 button and move start/select, that would be an interesting design. What I get the feeling we're going to get is a Vita as a controller, with cameras all over the place.

Yes, because their shitty E3 conferences have really hurt them over the last few years.
But without a good conference, how will people know what good.games to buy every year? What's that? MS spends hundreds of millions of dollars a year advertising games? That's cheating!

Liamario

Banned
I can be excited for this, as long as the touch screen done in the same monstrous style as WiiU.

I'm thinking Vita size screen and an ergonomically fantastic controller built around it.

Petrichor

Kinect + a touch screen controller could be very interesting indeed. I mentioned this possibility in a thread a couple of months ago.

Top Bottom