• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NorCal wildfires still not contained, evacuations ordered - Santa Rosa/Sonoma/Napa

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Bebpo

Banned
Didn't realize there were so many people in the Tustin/Orange/Santa Ana/Anaheim area here on gaf. Tustin-gaf represent.

Yeah, almost everyone is missing at my office building in Tustin. People evacuating homes and stuff today. I'm taking our backup HDD with me from work just in case...

RCSI

Didn't realize there were so many people in the Tustin/Orange/Santa Ana/Anaheim area here on gaf. Tustin-gaf represent.

Yeah, almost everyone is missing at my office building in Tustin. People evacuating homes and stuff today. I'm taking our backup HDD with me from work just in case...

Rather surprised myself. Stay safe fellow OC gaf, and follow evacuation orders when they're given.

The Santa Ana winds are insane today I can imagine the 91 is a disaster zone about now. I have tons of work friends in the OC and my brother works in Irvine hope he worked remote today

there seems to be a fire going on near Yoba Linda also... I was over at Rowland Heights and you can see the sky all smoky South of there.

jiggle

100% absolutely, they are miles and miles from the fires. Anaheim Hills is nowhere near Anaheim really. Anaheim Hills is probably 12 miles east of Disneyland in the north western tip of Orange County, tucked into the foothills.

Thanks
ThTs good to no
Not gonna worry my parents over it then

Nista

The winds have a lot of influence on this. You've never know there was a fire nearby over in Irvine. I was surprised by the phone alert for evacuation areas, went outside and it was all blue skies and angrily chirping hummingbirds.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know how Sebastopol, CA is doing!?
I think they’re fine out there. It’s where a lot of people I’ve spoken to are heading.
The winds have a lot of influence on this. You've never know there was a fire nearby over in Irvine. I was surprised by the phone alert for evacuation areas, went outside and it was all blue skies and angrily chirping hummingbirds.
That’s how it was when I woke up. Beautiful out, but then I see videos of literally 4 miles away and shits all bombed out. Then over the course the day it darkened and turned red orange and now ash is raining all around.

Looks like there’s a curfew in the evac zones.

East Orange gaf here? Family doesn’t want to evac cause the wind isn’t blowing there and grandma doesn’t want to leave. They closed all the windows to stop air coming in too. Are they playing it a little too close or should they leave.

Nista

East Orange gaf here? Family doesn’t want to evac cause the wind isn’t blowing there and grandma doesn’t want to leave. They closed all the windows to stop air coming in too. Are they playing it a little too close or should they leave.

I guess it depends on where they are exactly in East Orange? Cause if they are over by 241 or Santiago Canyon, they really should be getting the heck out of there. If it's more of the built up areas around Chapman Ave east of 55, then they are probably fine for now.

The exit I usually take off 241 to go to Orange is closed both ways now.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man pretty surreal anecdote I forgot to post.
We were seeing that Oakmont had been evacuated. (its sorta like an upscale senior citizen neighborhood/place)

Then like 45 min later when walking to the store we saw the actual oakmont buses showing up at the church near our house.

Keri

So the evacuation area came to about a couple blocks from us, but hasn't moved all afternoon on the northern boundary. It seems to be moving south east now, so I think we probably won't need to evacuate. Just the same, we're keeping our eye on it, leaving all the bags in the cars and keeping out our cat carriers. My biggest concern is things changing drastically in the middle of the night. I hope they would come door to door or otherwise loudly announce it to the neighborhood, if an evacuation order goes out for our area?

Beach

Boss offered me free tickets to the Ducks game but with this traffic no way is it worth it.

Stay safe wildfire-GAF

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So the evacuation area came to about a couple blocks from us, but hasn't moved all afternoon on the northern boundary. It seems to be moving south east now, so I think we probably won't need to evacuate. Just the same, we're keeping our eye on it, leaving all the bags in the cars and keeping out our cat carriers. My biggest concern is things changing drastically in the middle of the night. I hope they would come door to door or otherwise loudly announce it to the neighborhood, if an evacuation order goes out for our area?

Yeah the should go door to door or at the very least blare a giant siren down the street.

M52B28

Banned
If you want to know how crazy this is, I left my window open last night and found soot all over my clothes that were sitting s next to it.

Certain parts of SF were unbearable to breath in for me.

Keri

Yeah the should go door to door or at the very least blare a giant siren down the street.

OK, good. I feel pretty confident now that we are safe, but a change in winds in the middle of the night could turn things around.

Yes. They come right to your door. For my sis they actually came in and went into her home and walked her out then needed access to her backyard.

Nista

Horse evacuations in OC

I'm glad people are taking the time to help move the horses and other animals out of the evacuation zone. Every time I drive through there, I love seeing all the horses being ridden or hanging out in paddocks. It's not really a common sight in SoCal anymore with the housing sprawl.

Spanglo

Neo Member
Oh man pretty surreal anecdote I forgot to post.
We were seeing that Oakmont had been evacuated. (its sorta like an upscale senior citizen neighborhood/place)

Then like 45 min later when walking to the store we saw the actual oakmont buses showing up at the church near our house.

My parents live in Oakmont... they were woken up at 5am this morning and told to get out fast. Dad said he could see fire in 3 directions.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Hell of a state.

I had a frightful experience with the 2007 wildfires, even though I was too young to grasp the real severity of it.

I'm so sorry for all those affected today, and those to be affected as time runs on.

Earth: You had a layup and u elected trump.

Us: I was just upset. I didn't know what I was doing. Sorry.

Earth: Sorry!!!

Earth: Your gonna be sorry alright.

Us: ???

2017: record hurricanes floods and fires.

Trump: Earth is spreading fake disasters.

Earth: God damn it im screwed.

Looks like fires are close to Oakmont... http://arcg.is/XbfPu

I did here that at least a couple of the buildings burned down. Villa Capri and the north building, or something like that? I also heard second hand that the main building was on fire at one point, but also heard that it might have survived okay.

My grandparents were in a free-standing casita or whatever they call it. Said he woke up to see fire outside the window and they had to walk through embers and some flames to go out their front door.

Peter's Canyon is gone

I grew up in Tustin Ranch and Pioneer Middle School is on the edge of the evacuation zone. I don't think it'll get to my parents but I'm keeping an eye on things nonetheless

Spanglo

Neo Member
I did here that at least a couple of the buildings burned down. Villa Capri and the north building, or something like that? I also heard second hand that the main building was on fire at one point, but also heard that it might have survived okay.

My grandparents were in a free-standing casita or whatever they call it. Said he woke up to see fire outside the window and they had to walk through embers and some flames to go out their front door.

That sounds really bad if the flames were that close.

The Villa Capri building was in the Fountain Grove area.

That sounds really bad if the flames were that close.

The Villa Capri building was in the Fountain Grove area.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize there were different Oakmont locations. My gparents were at the Fountaingrove Varenna location, I guess it's called "Oakmont of Varenna".

Spanglo

Neo Member
Oh sorry, I didn't realize there were different Oakmont locations. My gparents were at the Fountaingrove Varenna location, I guess it's called "Oakmont of Varenna".

Yeah, sounds like the Fountaingrove area got hit hard - sorry. The Oakmont area is on the other side of town.

New evacuations ordered for the wild oaks community

@cityofsantarosa

New wildfire has moved out of Annadel State Park into Wild Oak community. Wild Oak residents should begin to evacuate immediately.

Dalek

My friends mother is still missing. Her home burned down and she hasn’t been heard from since. 😞

I just got off the phone calling the temporary shelters to see if anyone has checked her in.

My friends mother is still missing. Her home burned down and she hasn’t been heard from since. 😞

I just got off the phone calling the temporary shelters to see if anyone has checked her in.

Damn. Hope she's found safe. Can't imagine what he is going through right now.

In-laws were evacuated last night and are staying our house. Their house is half a mile from where the flames were last night. It took me almost 4 hours to drive home yesterday too. The 91 freeway being closed in both directions meant almost 2 counties of commuters in one of the single worst traffic sections in the entire country were taking to side streets across several cities.

Fire is only 5% contained this morning. Staying home today for sure.

RCSI

I am 2 blocks from mandatory evacuation zones.

NorCal fire pictures seem reminiscent of locations from Fallout, geeze. Stay safe today people.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Updates:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Latest-on-North-Bay-fires-A-really-rough-12263721.php

cFPK34h.jpg

8:56 p.m. Solano County evacuations: Officials have issued mandatory evacuation orders for Twin Sisters Road and Joyce Lane in Solano County due to the Atlas Fire. These are the first mandatory evacuation orders for Solano County.

11:49 p.m. More evacuations in Solano Co.: Residents in the Green Valley area west of Green Valley Road from Mason, north to Valley End Lane, are being told to evacuate now, according to Fairfield police.

11:31 p.m. New wildfire in Santa Rosa: City officials said that a new wildfire has moved from Annadel State Park into the Oakmont community, which is being immediately evacuated.

5 a.m. Cooler temperatures, but fires rage: Cool overnight temperatures aided firefighters battling blazes in Napa and Sonoma counties, but the fires continued to rage out of control Tuesday morning.

High temperatures in the North Bay are forecast to be in the mid 70s to upper 70s, generally 5 to 10 degrees cooler than Monday, said Charles Bell, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service.

At least eight fires were burning across Northern California Tuesday with little to no containment, officials said. The fires have killed at least 10 people, including seven in Sonoma County, two in Napa County and one in Mendocino County.

Stay safe North Cal! The South Cal fire has spread but is still at Anaheim Hills.

If you're in SoCal and near the fire, i found this link that states the current evac order: https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=da77ac6f4912cc9c&hl=en&gl=US&source=web

The OC register also provides the fire zone in Anaheim hills, road blocks, and school closures: http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/09/this-map-shows-where-the-anaheim-hills-brush-fire-is-burning/

Edit: Pozo fire on San Luis Obispo County

Wads

Banned
Dang no wonder the smoke is so bad this morning. Hope they get this contained and it doesn’t make it down to Vallejo.

How are our cali gaffers today? I can't seem to find too many updates except fires are still burning. Please stay safe everyone! I can't imagine what you're going through.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Update on the SoCal side of things:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-orange-county-fire-20171010-story.html

Rmor9EX.jpg

Multiple freeway closures are still in effect in Orange County as the Canyon 2 fire in Anaheim Hills grew to 7,500 acres overnight.

California 241 is closed in both directions between the 91 Freeway and Santiago Canyon Road, where California 261 begins, said California Highway Patrol dispatch supervisor Tom O’Donnell.

The right lane of the eastbound 91 is closed from east of Weir Canyon Road to west of the Riverside County line, he said. The Gypsum Canyon Road on- and- off-ramps are closed in both directions on the 91.

Nine Orange Unified School District campuses will be closed Tuesday due to the wildfire raging in the Anaheim Hills area:

Anaheim Hills Elementary
Running Springs Elementary
Canyon Rim Elementary
Chapman Hills Elementary
Linda Vista Elementary
Panorama Elementary
Santiago Charter School
El Rancho Charter School
El Modena High School

District staffers will monitor air quality at schools remaining open in Anaheim Hills and Orange, and will keep students indoors, according to a statement from the district.

All sports and after-school activities have been canceled.

Top Bottom