• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R patched to 1.3: 60fps, story mode camera changes, lag improved, etc

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think the tradeoff is worth it. The game is just visually unappealing, period. So I'm ok with a visual downgrade if it means better performance.

I actually totally agree with you, but just amazed there even has to be a tradeoff to begin with. :/

shiyrley

Banned
I actually totally agree with you, but just amazed there even has to be a tradeoff to begin with. :/
9WkYyBA.jpg

RedSwirl

On the subject, I'm starting to wonder why Konami hasn't put a Bomberman on PC yet. I mean recently.

I know Konami had pretty much abandoned Bomberman, but it's kind of an opportunity for it to get into the modern online multiplayer market with a "live game." Last gen you had at least one MP Bomberman on each platform, and I think they should do that again this gen, even if it's F2P or filled with microtransactions. I wouldn't be offended by character and stage skins to be honest.

I guess Konami really is that devoted to pachislot and mobile.

Played a round of League Battle online and it's a night and day difference in frame rate and responsiveness. Graphics maybe took a little hit though? Haven't played in 2 weeks so not sure. Didn't notice any lag either. Hopefully it stays that way. Great update and it feels so much better to play. As long as lag doesn't creep in the more I play I'd say this is a great update.

me0wish

Tested in handheld mode:
60 fps in 4 and 8 players mode.
30ish fps in world 6 boss.
40ish fps in story mode, performance depends on the level, it's improved, but definitely not even close to 60.
Controls feel even more improved and refined.
AI have been balanced.

Tested a few story levels on docked, and it's very close to reaching 60 fps, hopefully it will reach 60 fps within the next update.

This just became from a good Bomberman game, into a great Bomberman game.

I kept going back and forth with this game (was going to buy it, then reviews+impressions turned me off from it, then Konami fixed some of the issues with a patch, etc.) but then like two weeks ago I bought it and was saving it for later. I'm glad as hell I waited to play the campaign!

Jazzem

Has there ever been another instance of a game being patched from 30 to 60fps? It seems like such an unprecedented move

Tahnit

Banned
did they fix that dumb perspective? Saw a quick look of it on giantbomb and man I would not want to play bomberman with that view.

Mega

Banned
That's great if true. I was just complaining about this game in the March sales thread and how the 30fps feels choppy.

Multiplayer does play much smoother now! Also, I haven't played in a while, but playing in handheld mode... Doesn't the game look a bit blurry to anyone else?

TZchassis

Tested it on handheld mode.
Controls & fps are much better, but there's clearly a visual downgrade. It's blurry but not as bad as Snake Pass. Did they also change the camera angle a little bit? I haven't played it in a while and I thought it's now more of a top-down angle than before.

Also, new levels are 4000 coins. Konami plz. I haven't unlocked even one of them and I can't stand collecting points. So glad with Konami's support however. I hope they figure out a way to enhance the visuals while retaining the fps in the future.

Luigiv

It's better. Though I can't tell too much between the 45-60 range, I don't think it's exactly a locked 60 either but it's hella close now.

Video is processing now, but should be fully ready to go soonish. I just ran through 1-1 and 1-2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INyqzyncbLM

Yeah looking at this, definitely above 30 but doesn't look entirely smooth to me, suggesting it's not a stable 60 (though I can't really say anything with more precision than that).

Regiruler

Yeah looking at this, definitely above 30 but doesn't look entirely smooth to me, suggesting it's not a stable 60 (though I can't really say anything with more precision than that).
That's from story mode, the difference isn't nearly as noticeable there.

Multiplayer is night and day.

Top Bottom