• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Heel

Bah, this new thread sucks if you only play one board game. This whole GAF COMMUNITY bullshit has really fucked up these forums' efficiency.

/vent mostly aimed at GAF and not this thread specifically

Why are you complaining if you haven't added yourself to the spreadsheet in the OP? You'd have the same, hell even better opportunity to send and receive invites to any board game thanks to this thread. You can post freely about any specific game too, and now you have more people able to read and respond to you. What's the problem with that exactly?

Maybe the spreadsheet isn't visible enough in the OP and people don't get it?

Heel

Heel, I have been learning Food Fight for a while, too. I like it on iOS, but I'm afraid that playing the analog version will be a bit harder.

Since we're both learning, maybe I can set some time aside soon and play a quick game. Or, is it async?

I'm not sure how the multiplayer works but I'd be down. This is probably my last day on iOS for a week or two though.

Slacker

Elder Signs update is UP. Downloading now. :)

New stuff:

•In-app purchases for new Ancient Ones
•All new Cthulhu campaign (In-app purchase)
-Over 30 new adventures
-10 new monsters
-4 new investigators
-Unlockable bonus investigator
-New Map with all new gameplay features
•All new free Yig campaign
•Free unlockable investigator
•Larger investigation glyphs
•New Gameplay Options
-Skip Transitions
-Audio Fading
-Low Res Texture option
•Monster and Task info added
•Reduced RAM requirements
•Bug and Crash fixes

Cthulhu expansion is three bucks.

Why are you complaining if you haven't added yourself to the spreadsheet in the OP? You'd have the same, hell even better opportunity to send and receive invites to any board game thanks to this thread. You can post freely about any specific game too, and now you have more people able to read and respond to you. What's the problem with that exactly?

Maybe the spreadsheet isn't visible enough in the OP and people don't get it?
The only game I own on that list is Carcassonne, and the old Carcassonne thread had a list of people's GameCenter ID's as well. So, from a personal standpoint, the only difference now is whenever I go to check this thread for new posts, odds are it's going to be about some game I don't own or care about.

But again, I'm upset more with GAF's general direction more than I am with this thread, and I understand the purpose and positives in a consolidated board game thread.

Elder Signs update is UP. Downloading now. :)

New stuff:

•In-app purchases for new Ancient Ones
•All new Cthulhu campaign (In-app purchase)
-Over 30 new adventures
-10 new monsters
-4 new investigators
-Unlockable bonus investigator
-New Map with all new gameplay features
•All new free Yig campaign
•Free unlockable investigator
•Larger investigation glyphs
•New Gameplay Options
-Skip Transitions
-Audio Fading
-Low Res Texture option
•Monster and Task info added
•Reduced RAM requirements
•Bug and Crash fixes

Cthulhu expansion is three bucks.
Nice. I'll download it when I get home.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Is Food Fight multiplayer async or real time? I'm scared of starting a game without having time lol.

Also dang, that Carc game was close, the last field was the decisive factor. Ended up better than I expected lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn i'm so jealous. Android doesn't offer all of these great games :<

The async isn't there but there's some good ones:
-Elder Signs
-Carcassonne
-Through the Ages
-Androminion (best Dominion clone on any device)

There's a San Juan clone that's pretty good too.

Heel

The only game I own on that list is Carcassonne, and the old Carcassonne thread had a list of people's GameCenter ID's as well. So, from a personal standpoint, the only difference now is whenever I go to check this thread for new posts, odds are it's going to be about some game I don't own or care about.

But again, I'm upset more with GAF's general direction more than I am with this thread, and I understand the purpose and positives in a consolidated board game thread.

Ah, well, seems like a pretty minor inconvenience in favor of revitalizing the community and bringing more people into the fold. Originally had all the information from the old Carc user list on the new spreadsheet, but decided to start from scratch to be sure everyone was active. Add your name to the list for Carc and we'll get some games going.

Also dang, that Carc game was close, the last field was the decisive factor. Ended up better than I expected lol.

So close! At least I know I can hang in there with you guys. Unless AstroLad was going easy on us. :)

DukeSucks

Damn, DukeSucks beat me bad in ascension. It was weird playing with just the standard deck. Good match.

I wasn't sure that I won at first, lol. Still have no real idea at strategy yet other than I'm trying to get cards that prolong my turn. What should I be doing in regards to construct cards? Playing smiley and he has like 6 to my none, so I think that will be a blowout at end-game.

I do like this game a lot, especially for having never played a card game before. Probably will be buying the expansion soon.

octobot

What is everyone's most anticipated upcoming iOS boardgame release? For myself I can't wait for dominant species, I love that game and look forward to being able to play more.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What is everyone's most anticipated upcoming iOS boardgame release? For myself I can't wait for dominant species, I love that game and look forward to being able to play more.

What's in the pipeline?

Here's what I'm aware of:
-Nightfall
-Innovation
-Bunch of euros I'm forgetting atm....

Be interested to hear what else is up. Neuroshima Hex update is definitely a big one for me.

Smiley90

I wasn't sure that I won at first, lol. Still have no real idea at strategy yet other than I'm trying to get cards that prolong my turn. What should I be doing in regards to construct cards? Playing smiley and he has like 6 to my none, so I think that will be a blowout at end-game.

I do like this game a lot, especially for having never played a card game before. Probably will be buying the expansion soon.

There are a few valid strategies, but it really all comes down to what cards show up when.

Lots of monster cards -> You can try to end the game REALLY quick, before your opponent can stack up cards.

Lots of construct -> Especially mechana constructs can combo up REALLY badly, and you'll just get blown out real bad if the opponent gets his hand on the good stuff, because they essentially get any card they want any turn with all the free stuff and get so much card-draw.

Lifebound -> Imho only works well if you get your hand on the staff/multiples of the staff, then try to get a LOT of conversion into stars.

there's more, but these are off the top of my head

What's in the pipeline?

Here's what I'm aware of:
-Nightfall
-Innovation
-Bunch of euros I'm forgetting atm....

Be interested to hear what else is up. Neuroshima Hex update is definitely a big one for me.

+ the official Dominion app, even though the developers are doing a REALLY crappy job at interacting with the community/advertising. The game mechanics itself should more than make up for it though, I don't see a way they could screw that up.

Also, Summoner Wars and Agricola from playdek should also come out in the next 1,2 months.

Otherwise, totally agree with those.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
oh snap! updated OP and updated myself in the spreadsheet.

let's try to get some nightfall action going soon :D

one protip: if you've put yourself down for a game, be sure you've opened it. don't think the system sends push notifications until you give the app permission

Heel

Nice! There's already a slot for Nightfall in column R of the spreadsheet. I'll join you guys sooner or later. :)

I read the rules last night, did the tutorial, and I think I need to read the rules again. :p

Buying an iPad is what got me into board games (except for Carc), so while I've heard of most of these games, I've never played the physical versions so it will take me a minute to learn everything.

tm24

Buying an iPad is what got me into board games (except for Carc), so while I've heard of most of these games, I've never played the physical versions so it will take me a minute to learn everything.
We're in the same boat. Gotta learn the hard way! Trial by fire!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I need to re-read the rules to Food Fight too. But I don't mind playing before I've learned. Have done that tons on yucata.de as well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
+ the official Dominion app, even though the developers are doing a REALLY crappy job at interacting with the community/advertising. The game mechanics itself should more than make up for it though, I don't see a way they could screw that up.

Also, Summoner Wars and Agricola from playdek should also come out in the next 1,2 months.

Otherwise, totally agree with those.

Ooh forgot about all those. The Dominion one has me a touch worried. Why can't the Carcassonne guys just develop everything? :/

Summoner Wars I'm not a huge fan of but I have a feeling it will be like Thunderstone where the digital version far outclasses the tabletop for me thanks to async and implementation of rules. Agricola is one of my favorite games ever, so yeah....

Smiley90

NIGHTFALL IS OUT, EVERYBODY REJOICE.

Buying and downloading as soon as I'm home, then I'll hit you all up with invites, learn the game in an all-around noobfest, like a boss. Couldn't play that much today because i had work, and that involves gloves, so I try to get turns in when I have to change gloves lol.

I think I'm most looking forward to the penny arcade deck builder game, I've played the physical version, and loved the shit outa it, so I can't wait for that. Another one I can't wait for is Race for the Galaxy, I bought the box a year or so ago, enjoyed it, but only played it once, haha.

As for nightfall, it seems interesting so far, but really confusing right now, haha. I wonder if ascension was this confusing when I first played that. It's been so long I don't remember.

tm24

I've lost like 4 games of ascension to Galvatron by like 12 pts combined. Rage

Also, nightfall is kinda confusing

octobot

Went through the tutorial for Nightfall and then won my first match against an easy ai. I like it. The moon chain mechanic is neat. Just a matter of learning cards and combos. Looking forward to some online matches!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Do the mechanics of Nightfall seem well suited for async play? It seems like the chains would take forever to complete when played async.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I noticed one thing about TTR Pocket -- the notifications show up in my notifications menu but usually not on the icon. Weird but just a heads-up.

Holy hell! I actually pulled out a 4 man game of Carc! Good game guys.

Yeah that was a fresh game even though I lost like 40 Elo for finishing 3rd. Lots of close games today.

Smiley90

Hmmm nevermind? It went right back to $3.99 when I was about to buy it, haha.

Good Carc games guys!

The sale started a few days ago, I mentioned it back then... Maybe it ended now?

Smiley90

I am in on Nightfall. Lots of cards and effects, but eh, seems ok. Lets get some games going.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is happening, then I'll dive into online games lol.

Top Bottom