• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grey's Anatomy S14 |OT| Meredith has seven sisters... yeah, really.

This thread will contain unmarked spoilers for Seasons 1 through 13. Please mark spoilers for all season 14 episodes.

1QwpeqG.jpg

Welcome to the official thread of Grey's Anatomy, Season 14!

*crickets*

Previous seasons threads:
Grey's Anatomy S11 |OT| The ol' ticker just won't quit!
Grey's Anatomy S12 |OT| Better than Dexter S8, Arrow S3, Prison Break S2, & Scrubs S9
Grey's Anatomy S13 |OT| Taking bets on which major character dies next...

Season 14 premieres on ABC on September 28th, 2017. In terms of viewers, season 13 had the lowest premiere of any Grey's season (8.75 million) and the lowest finale of any Grey's season (7.92 million). For reference, Grey's had a premiere of 25.41 million viewers and a finale of 22.57 millions viewers during season 3. However, season 13 had an overall rank of #19, which was better than seasons 7, 8, 9, 11, and 12. Also, the important 18-49 demographic had Grey's season 13 at #9... which is probably the key for keeping Grey's going into future seasons.

Only four major characters are still with the show from the original season:
Dr. Miranda Bailey
Dr. Meredith Grey
Dr. Alex Karev
Dr. Richard Weber

So if you haven't tuned in for a few seasons, well, it's gonna look a little different. Oh, and a bunch of the characters that aren't here anymore are gone because they died... so they can't come back at all. Grey's Anatomy has been killing fools since before Game of Thrones made it cool.

Feel free to join in on the new episode discussion or share your thoughts about how this show is some how still alive!

gdt

7?

My gf watches this still and last I saw there is the half black one and they are fighting over some dude.

I also saw most of an ep where merideth got the shit beat out of her and I though it was pretty solid.

theWB27

Already? I don't know if I can still call this my favorite show...last season was the first I haven't seen, but whenever I think of the show I don't think I want to abandon it.

Miss some of these guys :[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=fTW7EgoKpSE

I also just realized alex's head was shopped into the OP lol

I shopped him in since I forgot him the last two seasons. I didn't even notice he was missing until the last thread honestly.

And yeah, it's weird that promo shot was used so much without him included. Makes me wonder if he wasn't originally meant to be a long-term main cast member.

SUPARSTARX

I haven't watched since like maybe season 5. Someone provide cliff notes for the last few seasons and how who died?

I haven't watched since like maybe season 5. Someone provide cliff notes for the last few seasons and how who died?

Uh... The following are spoiler for seasons 5-13.

Lexi died, Mark died, Meredith's mom died, George died, Heather the intern died, Adele died, Derek died, Reed died, Charles died, Stephanie left, Teddy left, Cristina left, Callie left, Izzy left, Erica left, Shane left, and Leah left/came back/is leaving again.

Meredith and Alex have moved up to high positions within their respective fields (pediatrics for Alex, general surgery for Meredith). Bailey is the chief of surgery. Weber does some surgeries but mainly oversees the intern and residency training. Meredith found out she has another half-sister that is also a surgeon and Weber is the father of this sister.

Meredith has survived drowning, shootings, bombings, plane crashes, and all sorts of other crap.

Joni

Oh I don't care about spoilers.

But I hate her. She's so goddamn whiny and over-dramatic and falls apart all the time over the dumbest things. I'm on S3 (I think) and it's been nothing but a huge self pity fest. Boohoo my life is awful because I'm a surgeon with rich parents and too many boys. Like... really....?

I hope she gets better.

Her mom actively despised her for her entire life, and that is the parent that actually wanted to have her in the house.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ugh...Amelia is fucking annoying. Even with what happened at the end of the 2nd hour I really just don't care anymore.

I'm rooting for the other team. Am I a bad person? haha

Ugh...Amelia is fucking annoying. Even with what happened at the end of the 2nd hour I really just don't care anymore.

I'm rooting for the other team. Am I a bad person? haha

Uh yeah, she's been really annoying. It's sad, because her character news great on Private Practice. I honestly hope they can just treat her surgically and then she goes back to being awesome.

Incoming Hunt feeling crappy about being mad at her. Bet he's angry about for half a season.

Deadly

That was a brain tumor right? Wow the Shepards deaths are full of irony (is this the right word?) aren't they.

Oh I don't care about spoilers.

But I hate her. She's so goddamn whiny and over-dramatic and falls apart all the time over the dumbest things. I'm on S3 (I think) and it's been nothing but a huge self pity fest. Boohoo my life is awful because I'm a surgeon with rich parents and too many boys. Like... really....?

I hope she gets better.

She does. I want to say at about season 6 or 7 she kinda levels out.

That was a brain tumor right? Wow the Shepards deaths are full of irony (is this the right word?) aren't they.

This diagnosis fits the bill, that's for sure. What are the odds?
Could explain some of her behavior post-marriage.

And you know Hunt is gonna feel guilty and not want to leave. Because Hunt's a good guy. But when his sister dies or something, he's gonna have to choose between fulfilling his lifelong dream of having a child or be next to his tumor-ridden wife, a wife that doesn't even want him

This diagnosis fits the bill, that's for sure. What are the odds?
Could explain some of her behavior post-marriage.

And you know Hunt is gonna feel guilty and not want to leave. Because Hunt's a good guy. But when his sister dies or something, he's gonna have to choose between fulfilling his lifelong dream of having a child or be next to his tumor-ridden wife, a wife that doesn't even want him

Your Hunt prediction is 99% accurate I bet. It won't be resolved until the beginning of season 15 too I bet.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Could be setups for any number of characters leaving the show.

Teddy is playing the guy who always gets friend zoned by her true love but waits around for them always hoping :\

You think they'd ever bring Katherine Heigl back? She's probably been humbled a bit by this point? I mean they did bring the homophobic black dude back for a guest spot when Sandra Oh made her exit.

Could be setups for any number of characters leaving the show.

Teddy is playing the guy who always gets friend zoned by her true love but waits around for them always hoping :\

You think they'd ever bring Katherine Heigl back? She's probably been humbled a bit by this point? I mean they did bring the homophobic black dude back for a guest spot when Sandra Oh made her exit.

Never really believed Izzy would return until seeing Burke come back (as you pointed out). I could see it happen, especially near the end of the series if Karev goes on to marry Jo or something like that. It'd be great TV to have Izzy come back, bonus points if she's pregnant or has a kid already via one of Karev's frozen sperm bank samples.

Joni

Strong start for the season. Like the focus on Meredith, Karev, Hunt but I hope they don't neglect Maggie too much and that we go back to interesting fun Amelia.

Heigl was simply not liked by the cast or the writers, especially because how she shit on them. Washington was liked, and he largely shut his mouth. Only one of the cast he badmouthed was TR Knight.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Strong start for the season. Like the focus on Meredith, Karev, Hunt but I hope they don't neglect Maggie too much and that we go back to interesting fun Amelia.

Heigl was simply not liked by the cast or the writers, especially because how she shit on them. Washington was liked, and he largely shut his mouth. Only one of the cast he badmouthed was TR Knight.

What if she begged Shonda lol. I mean she is known for her shock value TV so I don't put anything past her at this point.

firelogic

Izzy coming back would be awesome because no one really gets to be happy on this show. With Wilson's husband story out of the way and her back with Karev, there's gotta be a bombshell to kill that. But, Izzy coming back alone wouldn't be a big deal because Karev is over her. The drama comes into play when she comes back with his kid like the above poster said.

I was addicted to seasons 1 -3. I think the writers strike put me off season 4. Couldn't quite get back into it since then, I've watched a handful of episodes since then. The most notable
George O'Malley's death episode 007!!! I was like oh crap!

If I did get back into it, I'd have 9 seasons worth to chew through.

TheContact

My wife watched this show from season 1 up to the episode with a plane crash or something and said the show just got ridiculous. After 14 seasons though the writers can only do so much to keep the viewers entertained, but to me, the show reminds me of that Ripley clone in that Alien: Ressuredtion(?) movie, like it’s barely alive saying “kill me”

Diablos

Can't believe this show is still on the air. Weren't they going to originally end it around the time they all got together and bought the hospital, but then they decided to keep milking it?

Maggie was a huge bitch last srason, but I still like her. I hope she gets with Jackson.

The Italian sex doctor is hilarious. Much better than the residency whatsherface from last year.

Joni

Oh, didn't realize that Harper Avery was already on Grey's before.

Can't believe this show is still on the air. Weren't they going to originally end it around the time they all got together and bought the hospital, but then they decided to keep milking it?

It should not end before passing ER, and then they can go for Gunsmoke. And honestly, it is the only Shonda show that is worth it.

Oh, didn't realize that Harper Avery was already on Grey's before.

My wife reminded me that Harper Avery was in an episode earlier in which Cristina made a fool of herself in front of him. I think it was two or three seasons after Jackson joined the show.

Joni

My wife reminded me that Harper Avery was in an episode earlier in which Cristina made a fool of herself in front of him. I think it was two or three seasons after Jackson joined the show.

His first season even, when it is revealed that he is related to the 'Avery' clan.

If i remember correct he was when derek was chief.

Indeed.

The title of this thread should have been ( The show where everyone has a sister doctor that works in the same hospital, except Meredith she had THREE ).

Anyhow... so far this season seems more promising than 13 and 12, I sense that it recaptured the feelings of the first 8 seasons.

RedAssedApe

Banned

It is a bit surprising considering how few of the og cast is left. Was still in college when the show started.

But they’ve always done a good job of bringing in new characters that went from reoccurring roles to series regulars.

Velcro Fly

If you think Grey's is bad about having OG cast members 14 years in, take a look at ER's main cast page on Wikipedia. Grey's has done a great job of developing characters that came in midway. That is part of why it has lasted so long. My mom loved ER but the constant turnover of the cast ruined it for her but she has stuck with Grey's. She's even watching old reruns during the day now. I can't wait until Katherine Heigl leaves though because her character is insufferable in these early seasons.

Makes me wonder if even the producers/writers aren't sure if any of them will stick around yet, and will base it on feedback from the audience. I think something like this happened with April/Jackson/Charles/Reed. If I remember correctly, the response to April and Jackson was better than Reed or Charles, hence April/Jackson are still around.

why can't i stop watching this damn show? Why? I've been watching Grey's since season 2. I put up with Heigl who was not good. I put up with the shitty terrible season when Derrick Shepard left and the show felt like it was in upheaval. I put up with the AWFUL plane crash to kill off characters. Or, that terrible ghost season when Heigl had that relationship with a patient.

I even thought that the show was DONE when they let Christina Yang go. I thought, "there's no way the writing team can recover from this." They're phoning it in to let the audience know that the show is nearing completion.

And yet...this show still manages to find its way. They restructure, dig in deeper into the theme of the show, and double down on the strength of a strong rotating cast.

Greys really is my guilty pleasure show. That and L&O: SVU.

So solid.

Top Bottom