• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The SunsetRiders appreciation thread

Back when I was 10 or 11, I discovered this arcade game at some random theme park in Texas. I was hooked immediatley. What's essentially 4 player Contra out in the wild west, I had to result in buying the inferior Genesis port when it finally arrived to 16 bit consoles. While I loved it, the far superior SNES version (which is basically a direct port of the arcade) ran massive circles around it. Levels in the Genesis version were omitted, as well as two other playable characters. Although I'm not sure if SR on SNES able to be played with 4 people via the super multitap, it certainly was the preferred choice against its counterpart.

Where's the GAF love for this 90s arcade classic?

We also need an HD port with optional online jump in/jump out co-op. Stat.

ssrid05.gif

sunset_riders_03.png

Sunset+Riders+Gameplay+4.jpg

118124217433.png

sunset-riders.png

sunset-10.png

sunset_riders_04.png

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I didn't like it in the arcades because of the low frame rate/speed (iirc).

Edit: watching some videos there are no such issues. Could it have been a dodgy/bootleg version I had played on?

But for games with similar themes I got super into Blood Bros.

LiK

They were gonna release this as one of the last games for XBLA Game Room but changed their minds. Stupid Konami.

ReaperXL7

Fantastic, I wasted so many hours on this game with a buddy of mine back in the day. It's such a shame that westerns never really took off in gaming, so many possibilities for the setting.

Game had some of the best music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3O4OdgV7sA

I don't think this is available on any of the downloadable services is it? If not i'm going to have to dig out my genesis I think.

*Edit: nevermind saw Liks post, Sad :(

TheYanger

SNES was only 2 player as well, it was still not the port we all wanted, but it was good enough. When I first found out that the Gen one only had 2 characters though I was flabbergasted, how can you NOT want to be Cormano Wild?

Played the hell out of this when I was a kid. One of my favourite arcade games of all time.

"Marry me with my money"

Is it available on any compilations for consoles or download services? I know it was coming to game room but never arrived...

MNC

I have never completed this game. I got as far as to the last level, but I cannot for the life of it beat this. I hate side scrolling 'beat m up's that dont have saves. :(

Cormano is the bloody best.

This was like, SNES's Red Dead Redemption. The music is so great.

Blizzard

Banned
I played this for the first time this year I think. I played it on an SNES with a friend, and we like used the easiest settings, and it was STILL too difficult. I wish there were an option to continue from a certain point instead of having to replay the whole game.

*edit* Haha MNC feels the same way.

I loved the music in Richard Rose's level. Excellent stuff.

Having only played and beaten the Genesis version, Cormano was my fav at first, but soon I learned the advantage of Billy's double shot pistols with the one gun shooting at that 35 degree angle.

BadWolf

Loved this game, played it at the arcades first and then had it for Mega Drive. Me and my brother replayed it endlessly.

Enhasa

Neo Member
I remember Sunset Riders being pretty difficult and unforgiving, but I may have been a wimp as a child.

ReaperXL7

SNES was only 2 player as well, it was still not the port we all wanted, but it was good enough. When I first found out that the Gen one only had 2 characters though I was flabbergasted, how can you NOT want to be Cormano Wild?

I agree about only having the two, but honestly I was ok with that when the visuals, music, and overall feel of the game was better on Genesis, atleast for me. Urge to hook my genesis is growing alot lately, but I have so many other things I need to play first. :(

Times like this, a game room would be fantastic.

Sunset Riders is not just a good game, it's also startlingly respectful to Westerns.
It's obvious the designers behind this game were huge fans of the genre.

Even the more unrealistic elements like gunning down several guys in a row without any of them so much as getting a shot out works. Since that's pretty much exactly how it happens in the movies.

They were gonna release this as one of the last games for XBLA Game Room but changed their minds. Stupid Konami.

Damn. I was going to say an HD update to this (2D, not Re-Shelled style) would get a buy from me. I honestly wanted this on XBL/PSN before X-Men and The Simpsons.

Edit: Revolver Ocelot as a hidden playable character!

Never played it, but it has some really nice music.

IIRC, wasn't the SNES version a faithful-ish port of the arcade game, while the Genesis version was kind of its own thing? At least, that was the impression I was under.

robot

I own the arcade PCB! One of my favorite 4 player games (too bad I only have a 2 player cabinet). Carmano wears El Greco's sombrero after he kills him (iirc).

The huge ass Sunset Riders movie screen in Mystic Warriors always reminds you which is the better game. Nobody seems to talk about poor ol' Mystic Warriors.

IIRC, wasn't the SNES version a faithful-ish port of the arcade game, while the Genesis version was kind of its own thing? At least, that was the impression I was under.

The Genesis version was about half as long, had about half the bosses (or less), sub par graphics compared to the SNES and only two playable characters instead of four. Music and gameplay was still great though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I've played that too! So many games I've forgotten about until they hit me in the face it seems...

Pretty neat that it advertises Sunset Riders in the drive in.

Blizzard

Banned
My favorite game like this is Turtles in Time, but I can almost actually beat that.

Has anyone here played Bad Dudes? It was an arcade game that never went to SNES as far as I know.

Ocaso

I played them both many, many years ago, but I believe you're right. Though ostensibly still a port, I think there are enough differences in the Genesis version that a fan of the arcade might want to give it a playthrough as well. Sure, it was inferior to the SNES and arcade versions, but it was still a good game in and of itself.

VariantX

no wonder Game Room failed. I was waiting for stuff like this to show up and it never came. Cant even think of any games on Game Room that even came from the 90's.

Great game. Loved it on the SNES back in the day and would love Konami to throw this on XBLA in a bundle with Crime Fighters 1 & 2.

robot

My favorite game like this is Turtles in Time, but I can almost actually beat that.

Has anyone here played Bad Dudes? It was an arcade game that never went to SNES as far as I know.

Bad Dudes was awesome - there was a port for NES which was decent. You can also get it on the Data East Arcade Collection for pretty cheap.

Top Bottom