• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires Definitive Edition exclusively in the Windows Store

JaggedSac

it's annoying because Microsoft had a great UI for a game client right under their nose - the Zune software.

Q5A5wsQl.png

They shipped this UI in 2006. Steam took 10-11 years to catch up to this design. All they had to do was put games in the left part, game info in the center, and extra stuff in the right. Go look at the Steam client now, it's pretty much this now.

Even in current Windows 10 you have to, for reasons I will never understand, go digging in small icons in the UI to even download games you've bought.

Here here

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
(achievements, cloud saves, multiplayer on the fastest, more reliable gaming network and more)

XwURxQu.png
Fastest, most reliable gaming network through the slowest, least reliable gaming store. What a strange combination.

it's annoying because Microsoft had a great UI for a game client right under their nose - the Zune software.

Q5A5wsQl.png

They shipped this UI in 2006. Steam took 10-11 years to catch up to this design. All they had to do was put games in the left part, game info in the center, and extra stuff in the right. Go look at the Steam client now, it's pretty much this now.

Even in current Windows 10 you have to, for reasons I will never understand, go digging in small icons in the UI to even download games you've bought.
That's some beautiful UI indeed. Why doesn't Windows Media Player look like that?

Anth0ny

Q5A5wsQl.png

Ah, 2006. A magical era before the time of "everything must be mobile friendly and clean and minimalist and annoying as fuck to navigate through on a desktop pc"

Things I'd forgotten about AoE1, based on playing it again recently:

- The campaign is really hard on the default setting! Enemies are merciless, and your objectives are often unclear to the point of requiring trial and error in order to get through the missions because you need to figure out what you're supposed to be doing first, then actually do it.

- As I said last post you can't queue unit production in buildings that make units, which is pretty annoying.

On the other hand though, what I'd remembered -- that AoE is a great, though slow-paced, RTS and one of the better games in the genre not from Blizzard -- is absolutely true. I actually played more of AoE1 than AoE2, and for the most part it still holds up pretty well. I would be looking forward to this, if it wasn't on the Windows Store only (for now).

It will sell badly.

A year later, MS will release it on Steam with Windows 7 support, just like Halo Wars, Quantum Break and Killer Instinct.

Then the people who bought it on the Windows store will complain about not being given the Steam version for free while Windows Store version craps itself and fails to install.
Yup.

The idea is that MS sees things like Android, iOS, and consoles, closed platforms where the platform holder makes money from every piece of software sold of their OS... and compares that to Windows, the OS so many people use, but Microsoft doesn't make a cent from software sales there because it's an open platform. Companies don't like missing out on possible profits, particularly not really successful ones like Microsoft.

So, what's the solution? Gradually try to push people onto a closed platform instead of an open one, naturally. That closed platform is Windows 8/10's Android/iOS-inspired tablet-style interface and its store, the Windows Store. Win10 dials back on the tablet element there, but the store is still a separate platform from normal Windows -- you don't have anywhere near as much customizablity in Windows Store applications as you do in regular Windows programs, for example, and Microsoft controls what is allowed to be sold there, the freedom of the open platform is gone. Initially a lot of the software here were things supporting touch, for Windows tablets and the like, but MS also puts its games in the Windows Store now as well.

Now again if MS was just running a normal storefront (like Ubisoft or EA have, for example, or like Steam or GOG or something), it would be entirely fine. The problem, and the danger, is in that walled-garden, particularly if MS tries to force it on people at some point. A PC with the traditional Windows mode disabled would indeed be the end of Windows as it has been... and maybe push gamers over to Linux or something? Anyway, the strong pushback MS have received makes this less likely, but it is still possible.

Age of Empires 3 released like a decade late on Steam.

And even if we restrict things to Digital Distribution, it was on a different version of the Windows Store well over a year before it moved to Steam. I got it for 10 cents during some promotion. Of course, Microsoft laughed all the way to the bank with my dime, since my access is lost in the ether.

Yeah, I got that cheap digital copy of the GfWL release of AoE III as well... that sure still is playable, huh. :S

Tagyhag

I loooved my Zune, especially because of this storefront.

It was so much better than ITunes' at the time.

Things I'd forgotten about AoE1, based on playing it again recently:

- The campaign is really hard on the default setting! Enemies are merciless, and your objectives are often unclear to the point of requiring trial and error in order to get through the missions because you need to figure out what you're supposed to be doing first, then actually do it.

- As I said last post you can't queue unit production in buildings that make units, which is pretty annoying.

On the other hand though, what I'd remembered -- that AoE is a great, though slow-paced, RTS and one of the better games in the genre not from Blizzard -- is absolutely true. I actually played more of AoE1 than AoE2, and for the most part it still holds up pretty well. I would be looking forward to this, if it wasn't on the Windows Store only (for now).

Yup.

Wait, are you playing the Definitive edition? Because they added unit queueing in the expansion and it would be dumb if they took it out for this.

Wait, are you playing the Definitive edition? Because they added unit queueing in the expansion and it would be dumb if they took it out for this.

No, original; hearing that the Definitive Edition is coming made me want to go play the original again, because I really liked it at the time. I remember finding AoE II kind of disappointing actually, I wanted a Blizzard-level improvement from the first game to the second (ie, like WC1 to 2 to SC to WC3), but AoE II feels more like 'AoE but a little bit better'. I don't know, it's a great game and objectively might be the best Age of Empires game, but my favorite was the original.

On that note, maybe I should also mention that the original's soundtrack, graphics, and voice work are still pretty good. The remaster looks even better in all of those categories though, which is great. We're getting both Starcraft and Age of Empires, remade with much better graphics, in the same year? That's pretty awesome.

(Now if only Blizzard would update Warcraft II...)

cuc

Yeah you can only queue one unit in RoR. But you can improve a lot of small things with the fan-made UPatch, some of which (like certain balance changes) are being incorporated into the DE.

Yeah, I got that cheap digital copy of the GfWL release of AoE III as well... that sure still is playable, huh. :S
I kept a permanent copy of the installer I downloaded from GfWL, and wrote down my CD-key.

Rathorial

They either need to make greater strides improving the store, or release on Steam.

That said, I already got it because of Bing rewards paying the whole thing off.

Top Bottom