• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita US Launch Details (Launch Games, Accessory Pricing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For people asking about copying game saves from the PSP games.
Yes, it is possible, you connect the PSP via USB and copy the files from the PSP to the folders the Vita Content Manager created, connect your Vita and you're good to go.
No need to use Media Go or anything.

Is this process on PC or PS3?

turnbuckle

MLB is March 6th.

March 6th is an expensive day for me.

Can't wait to play as the Tigers in the GAF league (if one happens, lol).

Hope some deal is announced where there's a discount if someone wants to buy both versions. I'm certainly getting both, probably getting the Vita first.

e_i

Updated order list:

Paid in full
First Edition Bundle
Uncharted GA
Rayman Origins
HSG
UMVvC

On order from Amazon (because $29.99)
Wipeout

newsguy

So far I only have Hot Shots for the launch. I'm trying to figure out what other games I want. I'm going to hold off on Uncharted, as a previous poster said, I'm experiencing Uncharted fatigue.

I know I'm getting MLB 12 for sure, but I'm wanting something else to help tide me over. I was hoping PSN would have a good deal for God of War: Ghost of Sparta, but I haven't seen anything yet.

I was thinking of FIFA. I haven't played a FIFA game since FIFA 98 for the N64, but I've heard some good things about it. How hard is the learning curve? Obviously, a lot of improvements were made, and the videos look outstanding.

Of you've played Fifa before the learning curve isn't bad. Same concept, buttons are configured the same way. Im also doing HSG and Fifa at launch. Both amazing games IMO

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Imbarkus, how many UMDs do you actually own?

I own about 60 UMD based games, and I'm not angry that I won't be playing those on Vita.

I probably have about 35 or 40. My thing is that I collect, right? I have about 35 or 40 Atari Lynx games I still play now and then. 50-60 Atari 2600 games. I still have about 300 Commodore 64 games. For these, I have no choice but to begin emulating... the original disks are simply losing their magnetic hold on their contents.

I'll keep my PSP, and play my UMDs. And I'll try not to be annoyed that folks who bough PSP games on PSN can enjoy the convenience of playing them on Vita, because I know that at some point in the future they will lose those purchases and never be able to play them again. But I won't buy a Vita if it won't be a vibrant, successful platform.

It just seems to me like you want to try and get people riled up and pimp your damn article.

I wanted my article to point out how things could have been done fairly, but I'll just do that here in discussion now. I don't even use the Google AdSense on bitmob, so I get nothing from the article. But I'm not the only one who has complained about the half-assed BC option being trotted out for those of us with a large UMD library.

Maybe I was also butt-hurt too because I really liked my PSP Too mockup and nobody else did. The truth comes out!

Are you sure about that the PS3 have the ability to read and play PS2 games? If yes, can you please give me some techincal source to this, i want to read up on it.

I mean since PS2 games come on a DVD format, which Blu-Ray drives can read, that releasing a PSN version of GodHand, for example, that you can rebuy and play on the machine, while the disk version if inserted into a PS3 reports that it is unplayable, is an under-handed tactic designed to make you pay again for something you've already bought.

I don't have a technical readup for you though. I just know it runs if you download it and rebuy it, but not if you insert the disk.

I'm honestly trying to see what the complain is about. I fully understand that you want to have BC, and that is fair enough of course, but why do you write it like Sony is some evil company because they dont provide you with a luxury solution? (at least that is how i read it, but please correct me if i'm wrong).

I don't think it's just me. The consumer expectation for backwards compatibility of at least one generation back has been established by Sony itself first in PS2, and later in the first models of the PS3, by Nintendo in the Gameboy Color, the Gameboy Advance, the Nintendo DS (fat and Lite models), the Wii, and the 3DS, and by Microsoft (through software emulation) with the XBox 360. PC games are patched to be run in the newest OS's, and when they aren't the audience finds a way to make it happen through fan patches. iOS games are continually updated to be able to continue to run on the new hardware and iOS releases that come out. But Nintendo is the most important example here because they have set the consumer expectation precedent for the handheld space.

I don't think this feature can really be dismissed as just a luxury solution. It's a feature customers want, and it's one that helps ensure successful platform launches. I want PS Vita to succeed. I think, even right now, its ability to do that in Japan is seriously endangered by the lack of this one feature, given that Nintendo has locked up Monster Hunter for right now.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Your mockup was very well done, by the way!

Thanks man. Honestly.

Maybe I am a representative some slim niche margin of a market, a crazy old collector who hoards all his old games and spends his time making mockups and articles, and tilting at windmills on internet message boards.

I don't have the money to buy both a Vita and a bunch of games for it. I could maybe get one if I could take it on the bus ride and play the PSP games I have already. I'm in the middle of Peace Walker right now, so for now I'll just keep to my PSP, and spend my money on games for it that I haven't got yet (Persona 2).

I'm frustrated because this beautiful thing is launching and I just can't feasibly want it right now. Let's just hope the platform succeeds despite its challenges.

Captain N

Where did you read this?

I've seen them both listed for March 6th.

Edit: Just saw it on Amazon. I won't be starting my franchise until then anyways.

yeah, I was going off looking at it on amazon.com. If you look at Gamestop.com they have it listed as March 6th...so I don't know. Are you getting it on PS3 as well or just on Vita?

Sh0k

Just tried the PS Vita at my local Gamestop, surprised to find demos of FIFA 2012, Hot Shots Golf and Virtua Tennis. Tried most of the demos, including Uncharted and Wipeout and ended up reserving a WiFi Vita. That screen is amazing !

Also ordered from Amazon an 8GB memory, Hot Shots Golf and Wipeout. Picking up Uncharted or MLB The Show on launch day at Best Buy using a $25. gift card.

Can't wait for the 22nd of February !

Just tried the PS Vita at my local Gamestop, surprised to find demos of FIFA 2012, Hot Shots Golf and Virtua Tennis. Tried most of the demos, including Uncharted and Wipeout and ended up reserving a WiFi Vita. That screen is amazing !

Also ordered from Amazon an 8GB memory, Hot Shots Golf and Wipeout. Picking up Uncharted or MLB The Show on launch day at Best Buy using a $25. gift card.

Can't wait for the 22nd of February !

The Show isn't out until March 27th or March 6th.

:/

yeah, I was going off looking at it on amazon.com. If you look at Gamestop.com they have it listed as March 6th...so I don't know. Are you getting it on PS3 as well or just on Vita?

Grabbing both.

ebgames.ca is all over the place with their release dates. They had a bunch of Sony games releasing today. Now they have Uncharted as releasing tomorrow and the other games are in complete limbo. Amazon.ca isn't much better. They don't even have MLB 12 listed.

REMOTE PLAY?

I find the following interesting and wonder if this is true for all games developed for Vita/PS3. For instance the Comm. Mgr. for Sony San Deigo Ramone Russell states that MLB 12 The Show will not feature "Remote Play" and would not give a reason as to why.

Aren't all games supposed to be remote play ready from the last bit of info I heard?

What other dual platform game doesn't feature remote play?

Does that top down diablo looking game have remote play with with the vita?

So just got back from Gamestop and played the full demo of Gravity Rush and 15 mins of Fifa.

Gravity: The game(demo) is superb, I think it's the best looking Vita game to me, a bit of Aliasing when the camera zooms in but nothing major. I can't wait for it, one thing I'm not happy about is the flicking to dodge as sometime when you do it, it seems to not register and you end up getting hit by an enemy attack other than that I felt that it was fun to play and I ended up preordering it through GS.

FIFA: Game looked clean as in not a lot of Aliasing, it was a fun 15 min and I can see veterans of the game complaining about touch controls as it's pretty easy to get a goal with the back panel. The models were a bit small(might have been the camera angle) but the game felt like fifa 09 which was the last one I played on PS3. I'm definitely buying it.

XOMTOR

Thanks man. Honestly.

Maybe I am a representative some slim niche margin of a market, a crazy old collector who hoards all his old games and spends his time making mockups and articles, and tilting at windmills on internet message boards.

Yea, I thought your mockup was pretty sweet as well. I actually thought for a minute it was real.

Anyway, we don't even need a seperate UMD reader since anyone with a 1000/2000/3000 already has one. All Sony would need to do is provide a way to tether the PSP to the Vita and rip the UMD straight to the Vita's memory card. The software already exists to do this. Of course it would require that the Vita build a time-limited encryption key so that you need to tether the PSP to the Vita periodically as a way to re-verify that you still own the disk. Gotta eliminate the whole "buy games and trade them in" or borrowing from friends.

Sony could do it but I think they're willing to alienate an installed userbase in the hopes that you'll double-dip on PSP games on PSN. Sadly, a service Sony won't provide, the crackers will and more unfortunately, there'll be no encryption layer to prevent the re-selling/borrowing of UMDs.

Anyway, I do plan on getting a Vita but it won't be at launch. I'll wait a bit to see how things shake out before plunking down cash.

Slaylock

A few thoughts from my time with a Vita at Gamestop:

• As everyone else has said, the screen is gorgeous.
  • The buttons and sticks are much smaller than I expected, but it didn't seem to effect my gaming experience.
  • I was impressed by all the demos. I've never been a Wipeout fan but I even liked that one (even though I sucked at it).
  • I liked the game cases. Seems like the got the size spot on.
  • It's strange there's not standard pricing. They had HSG for $40 instead of Amazon's $30.
  • The demo kiosk was pretty impressive. Good visual details and solid information.
  • There seemed to be quite a bit of Vita buzz in the store. One person paid off a FEB, another placed a preorder, and several others were asking about it.
I preordered mine from Amazon the first day they listed it but I assumed I would cancel at some point. However, after playing the Vita for a bit I'm thinking strongly of keeping the preorder.

theBishop

Banned
A few thoughts from my time with a Vita at Gamestop:

• There seemed to be quite a bit of Vita buzz in the store. One person paid off a FEB, another placed a preorder, and several others were asking about it.

This actually surprises me. With the fucking dismal tone set by the Gaming Analysts, and certain enthusiast outlets, I don't have a good handle on what the average gamer thinks.

Sony's lineup for the first few months is pretty much locked down, and there are several high quality games coming. But for E3, I really want to see strong 3rd party commitments. Definitely the promised Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and Bioshock. But games that would put it over the top for me are Dark/Demon's Souls, Elder Scrolls, and Borderlands. These are titles I would buy even if they were ports. Especially Elder Scrolls. A port of Morrowind with gamepad/touch controls would be an instant buy for me.

test_account

XP-39C²
I mean since PS2 games come on a DVD format, which Blu-Ray drives can read, that releasing a PSN version of GodHand, for example, that you can rebuy and play on the machine, while the disk version if inserted into a PS3 reports that it is unplayable, is an under-handed tactic designed to make you pay again for something you've already bought.

I don't have a technical readup for you though. I just know it runs if you download it and rebuy it, but not if you insert the disk.
Oh, like that. That is why i was hoping for to get some techincal readup on how the PS2 emulator stuff works for PS3, if it is something more of a general emulator or if it requires custom tweaking to get a game to work properly. If it is custom tweaking, then it makes sense why playing the game from a disc wouldnt work (at least not properly).

I don't think it's just me. The consumer expectation for backwards compatibility of at least one generation back has been established by Sony itself first in PS2, and later in the first models of the PS3, by Nintendo in the Gameboy Color, the Gameboy Advance, the Nintendo DS (fat and Lite models), the Wii, and the 3DS, and by Microsoft (through software emulation) with the XBox 360. PC games are patched to be run in the newest OS's, and when they aren't the audience finds a way to make it happen through fan patches. iOS games are continually updated to be able to continue to run on the new hardware and iOS releases that come out. But Nintendo is the most important example here because they have set the consumer expectation precedent for the handheld space.

I don't think this feature can really be dismissed as just a luxury solution. It's a feature customers want, and it's one that helps ensure successful platform launches. I want PS Vita to succeed. I think, even right now, its ability to do that in Japan is seriously endangered by the lack of this one feature, given that Nintendo has locked up Monster Hunter for right now.
Yeah, backward compability have definitely been a common thing in gaming during the last ~10 years indeed, that is true. And i fully agree that it can somewhat be expected in that regard.

But what i ment with "it shouldnt be expected" is that it should be taken 100% for granted that a future system will be compatible with older games. I wouldnt recommend people to buy i.e PS3 games today with mind set on that the games will be playable on a PS4 guaranteed. I would only recommend that people buy PS3 games with mind set on that they will guaranteed only work on a PS3. There can be several of reasons why BC wont make it in a future system, eventhough that it has been common with BC the last ~10 years.

And what i mean with that BC is a luxury thing is that it is an additional thing that has a "it is nice to have" factor. BC isnt a mandatory feature that must be included in a new system for it to work. For some, BC is definitely a big factor when it comes to wanting the system or not, but i still concider it a luxury feature because it isnt something that is mandatory for the system to work, nor does it have any effect on its current games (it only allows older games to be played).

But to sum up, i fully agree that BC can be a nice thing to have, both when it comes to a internal or external solution. It might also make a system sell more indeed, especially around the launch period. But i personally wont blame (blame as in "it is pretty much my consumer's right to have BC, so you better include it") a company if they decide not to include BC in one of their future systems. This was the vibe i got from your previous comments, that is why i wanted to comment and ask you about it, but maybe this isnt what you ment. But as for wanting BC, and also to expect it is some regards, that i agree with :)

Hatten

Question here: is AT&T subsidizing the Vita at all?

I dont see the point on paying more for a console just to pay more every month to get a capped data plan

Unless you're never at home and can't use XBLA/PSN/Steam I dont see a reason to get the 3G over the regular Vita

If the 3G model was cheaper than the Wifi that would make sense

An unlocked iPhone its almost 3 times the cost of one with a contract.

GQman2121

Banned
I just got back from Best Buy. They have one of their employees carrying the system around on his neck to demo. No kiosk for Vita it seems. They only had Little Deviants to try, but I was more interested in the other functions anyway.

The screen is unreal. Large does not begin to describe it. The shots online don’t do it justice either. I was really impressed with the movie trailers they had stored on the memory card. The playback might not have been true HD, but at that small size, it looks damn close.

The analog sticks were also a bit surprising. At first touch they don’t feel like they have the mobility to get the job done. Compared to the Dual Shock or 360 pads, these don’t move far enough in every direction. However, after about ten minutes I adjusted and they felt fine. They don’t stick out nearly as far as the pictures make them seem either, so that was a plus.

Anyway, has anyone mentioned that the digital copies of games seem to be $5 cheaper than the physical cards? Best Buy has a number of games in their pre-order machine, that I can only assume, are codes that you use to download the games off PSN.

Here’s a photo of their titles and prices:

Super Stardust for $10 is good news.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I just got back from Best Buy. They have one of their employees carrying the system around on his neck to demo. No kiosk for Vita it seems. They only had Little Deviants to try, but I was more interested in the other functions anyway.

The screen is unreal. Large does not begin to describe it. The shots online don’t do it justice either. I was really impressed with the movie trailers they had stored on the memory card. The playback might not have been true HD, but at that small size, it looks damn close.

The analog sticks were also a bit surprising. At first touch they don’t feel like they have the mobility to get the job done. Compared to the Dual Shock or 360 pads, these don’t move far enough in every direction. However, after about ten minutes I adjusted and they felt fine. They don’t stick out nearly as far as the pictures make them seem either, so that was a plus.

Anyway, has anyone mentioned that the digital copies of games seem to be $5 cheaper than the physical cards? Best Buy has a number of games in their pre-order machine, that I can only assume, are codes that you use to download the games off PSN.

Here’s a photo of their titles and prices:

Super Stardust for $10 is good news.

Nice find. GAF exclusivo.

Question here: is AT&T subsidizing the Vita at all?

I dont see the point on paying more for a console just to pay more every month to get a capped data plan

Unless you're never at home and can't use XBLA/PSN/Steam I dont see a reason to get the 3G over the regular Vita

If the 3G model was cheaper than the Wifi that would make sense

An unlocked iPhone its almost 3 times the cost of one with a contract.

no contract = no subsidy. same as with the ipad.

AkuMifune

Banned
yay so psn games ARE cheaper.

Than the MSRP, sure, but you can still get Hot Shots from Amazon for $29, digital seems to be $35.99. I'm sure Amazon will have way more sales than PSN will in the future too.

Sucks, but I'm the stubborn one sticking to my all digital future, so I have no one to blame but myself.

theBishop

Banned
But to sum up, i fully agree that BC can be a nice thing to have, both when it comes to a internal or external solution. It might also make a system sell more indeed, especially around the launch period.

It seems like people have forgotten the circumstances that let to PS3 dropping PS2 BC.

The first run systems cost $600 (estimated BOM $850) and had PS2's chips on the board. You can play virtually every PS2 game, with saves stored on PS3's HDD. It's a nearly perfect implementation.

Then in the mad rush to slash PS3's bill of materials, the PS2 CPU was removed from PS3's motherboard, leaving only the PS2 graphics chipset. PS2 games could still be played on PS3 via software emulation of the CPU albeit with slightly less compatibility (though significantly more than 360 supported at the time).

In November 2007, Sony was able to get within spitting distance of Xbox360's $400 price when they launched the 40GB model, which dropped all backwards compatibility. This was the period where sales picked up significantly.

If PS3 wasn't dying on the vine at $600, there's no telling if decisions would be made differently. I'm sure Sony would love to be selling (significantly more) PS2 games on the PSN store. BC was just the sad casualty of the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom