• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't expect Zelda, the last one isn't even a year old. It's not like Zelda and Mario are the only things that Nintendo ever did... And even with their ,,new'' policy (which they began in like 2007), they still had an amazing first showing off 3DS.

The "amazing" 3DS showing negatively impacted the 3DS's first year, are you really surprised that Nintendo didn't do the same again?

So this years whole deal doesn't really give me confidence, regardless of whether we know ,,that these big games are surely coming anyway''. Bad enough that their teams are apparently so mishandled that they couldn't get anything better ready for launch, but in the year of a new consoles final reveal there should be a promising glimpse of the future, but as of now they are providing the exact opposite.

No, the final year before a console launches should give reasons to buy the console at launch, not providing reason to wait for future games.

Also, I love Wario Land and I love Warioware, so this new game is yet another slap in the face. It's not more than Wii Play and Raving Rabbids back then. All of that could have very well been Nintendoland attractions. It's ridiculous how they want to cash in with the same crap twice (cheap tech demos from last year, with minor efforts in giving them somehow new looks), while they could not even get a full fledged Warioware game ready. A total impertinence in my eyes. It might very well be the most loveless game from Intelligent Systems I've ever seen, if you exclude some downloadable stuff.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I can't really take much you say seriously with comments like "a slap in the face"(really? after the last Wario Ware I am not surprised in the slightest that they went in another direction) & the way you have pre-judged a game before seeing the majority of it(I don't think you understand what a tech demo actually is, no matter how many times you throw around the term), not to mention the repeated ignoring of what is clearly meant to be the launch title for "traditional" Nintendo gamers.

It's fine to not be enthused with the way Nintendo are handling the Wii U, but acting as if Nintendo don't have to appeal to more than Gaffers is foolish(A Japanese company publishing a Karaoke game! The horror!), & even with the wider focus it is still a better selection of games than the GC managed( Luigi's Mansion & Wave Race vs NSMBU, Nintendoland & all the games they are publishing LCS, NG etc.)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Well my Gamescom report will go up soon with my Wii U impressions (Rayman Legends, Wii U Gamepad, Pro controller, Toki Tori 2 PC)

Just as a tidbit: All of the stuff mentioned above is really really good :)

Can't wait for Rayman Legends impression, this game looks so incredible. Played ZombiU perhaps?

Hoodbury

Yeah, I hope they don't use this as a big "must wanted" reveal on the next Nintendo Direct and then don't announce anything else.

Seems like if something is leaked as much as CoD on the wii-U is that they should just make it official. It's lame they don't have an official forum for the Wii-U yet on the BO II boards, Gfaqs, etc. Let stores take pre-orders on it like the other platforms can. They're just losing sales left and right to the PS360 since people are putting in their preorders already.

It's leaked, we know it's there, just announce it already. Sheesh.

ikeg

It's also yet another shitty excuse for 3rd parties to say ,,well, we don't want to bring games since we need to make something with that new feature''.

I think you're blowing challenge of doing something with the second screen a little out of proportions here. We're already on the second generation of Nintendo handhelds that use a second touchscreen for almost exactly the sorts of purposes. And developers (for the most part) haven't had problems finding uses for the touchscreen on those platforms.

Can't wait for Rayman Legends impression, this game looks so incredible. Played ZombiU perhaps?

No on ZombiU, the line was insane (more about that in the article)

I will only post the link to the article in here when its up. Don´t wanna get banned for advertising another site...

Hoodbury

Sigh, sometimes I really have to wonder how misinformed some of these "hardcore" PS360 fans really are. In a CoD for Wii u thread it was asked whether it would have voice chat or not due to the "kid friendly Nintendo network".

Are people really this clueless about Nintendo these days? Do they really think the only games it has are rated SYK for Super Young Kids?

/end rant

The_Lump

Banned
Sigh, sometimes I really have to wonder how misinformed some of these "hardcore" PS360 fans really are. In a CoD for Wii u thread it was asked whether it would have voice chat or not due to the "kid friendly Nintendo network".

Are people really this clueless about Nintendo these days? Do they really think the only games it has are rated SYK for Super Young Kids?

/end rant

This is probably due to the poor media coverage of the whole 'Nintendo censoring miiverse' thing. A simple quote about their levels of online moderation was given the "Nintendo smh lololol" treatment and some people took it to mean miiverse will be like Stalinist Russia and standard voice/text chat won't be available.

So yeah. People really are that clueless.

D-e-f-

Banned

/end rant

but don't you know that Nintendo Network has everyone holding hands and greeting each other with pre-determined messages after exchanging a 12-digit code with every person everywhere they go and they're all smiling and laughing and nodding through colorful fields of flowers for 15 minutes and then everyone takes a break.

it's a safe, happy place full of smiles. for everyone, really. especially U.

*yuck*

Hoodbury

Sounds like a classic port, no effort technologically on wiiu.

They did what a lot of us have asked. 3rd parties have said they don't want to port their games to Nintendo because they don't want to do the new innovative controller injustice. So a lot of people have said they don't care about that and we just want the games that the other systems are getting.

They are giving us their biggest IP and biggest game. I am happy.

D-e-f-

Banned
Sounds like a classic port, no effort tecjnologically on wiiu.

so far it should be forgivable when they manage to port a game over WHILE it's still in development and release it simultaneously with other versions. please remember that it is completely new hardware they're working with.

We do know the Wii U version looks better though, but yeah other than that they didn't do much technology wise.

We don't. We have heard someone say it may look better. We have no actual proper comparison or access to confirm that.

muu

Didn't know I was a hardcore PS360 fan! These 3DS games I've been racking up must fit in that DVD drive somehow, and I must be playing DQX on a PS3 I don't own.

A Wii isn't the go-to hardware for those kinds of games, don't expect everyone to know what you know. Thanks for answering the question though.

Hoodbury

Didn't know I was a hardcore PS360 fan!
It was a generalization.
A Wii isn't the go-to hardware for those kinds of games, don't expect everyone to know what you know.
I don't expect that; I spend a lot of time on Nintendo related sites and forums. I do expect people on a gaming related forum to know that the Wii is more than just pretty butterfly's, unicorns, and rainbows though. Maybe I am wrong to assume that I suppose.
Thanks for answering the question though.
NP, if you are into shooters you really should give them a try on the Wii-U if they do support the Wii/mote pointer controls. Oh, and in addition to voice chat, Cod on the wii had NPC's saying swears as well. So put those kids to bed if you play with the sound up. :p

Stewox

Banned
You may have also remember that in another(?) interview, Shinen also said:

"I think we currently only tapped 20% of its potential and our first game already looks and plays brilliant.”

Now if this is the same game(it's logical to assume so) where they are rendering those thousands of animated objects(twice, in multiplayer with gamepad), and they believe they are still only tapping 20% of Wii U's potential, then I find that mighty impressive.

We still have yet to see this game, but if Shinen says it looks brilliant, then I'm inclined to believe it's - at the very least - a good looking game.

As we expected wiiu to be 3x to 4x better on paper... we expect that to be even higher in a extreme case of dedicated software with top class optimization.

jmizzal

Two more WiiU game Rumors Need for Speed: Most Wanted and F1 Race Stars - He claims its not a rumor but a fact tho lol, He does say what he think is the release date is speculation tho.

http://wiiclube.uol.com.br/blog/201...ara-wii-u-e-possivel-data-de-lancamento/73671

"Ok, I promised on Facebook and now it's time to open the beak: I learned two games that have not yet been announced for the Wii U, but will leave that to the console when it is released. The games are Need for Speed: Most Wanted and F1 Race Stars ."

I think F1 Race Stars was outed on a few retail lists and basically confirmed on this message board, so that would not be surprising.

Need for Speed..I just do not see why EA would hold off on unveiling that when they showed off ME3 and the sports games t his month.

Yea Codemasters Dirt and F1 was listed last year but we have not seen anything of them, and NFS has been rumored for a while along with EA's Medal of Honor, maybe they are holding off on them cuz they are coming out later then the other versions as in next year not like ME3, Madden and Fifa idk.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Two more WiiU game Rumors Need for Speed: Most Wanted and F1 Race Stars - He claims its not a rumor but a fact tho lol, He does say what he think is the release date is speculation tho.

http://wiiclube.uol.com.br/blog/201...ara-wii-u-e-possivel-data-de-lancamento/73671

"Ok, I promised on Facebook and now it's time to open the beak: I learned two games that have not yet been announced for the Wii U, but will leave that to the console when it is released. The games are Need for Speed: Most Wanted and F1 Race Stars ."

I think F1 Race Stars was outed on a few retail lists and basically confirmed on this message board, so that would not be surprising.

Need for Speed..I just do not see why EA would hold off on unveiling that when they showed off ME3 and the sports games t his month.

Meelow

Banned

Awesome, It still shocks me we still don't know all of Wii U's launch titles.

Notice though EA only announced the games we knew where coming to Wii U at that conference, NDA still was on for EA at the conference.

Stewox

Banned
so far it should be forgivable when they manage to port a game over WHILE it's still in development and release it simultaneously with other versions. please remember that it is completely new hardware they're working with.

Sounds nice, but I disagree.

First of all, porting while developing is nothing special, you may need to look around on how dev processes are done.

Then, new hardware and tools means much easier development closer to the PC tech level, as we heard many devs confirm this in various examples.

Infact its because they arent focusing on that, a simple decision of priority. Don't expect groundshakers in WiiU's first 6-12 months of market availability.

NFS makes some amount of sense because there's inexplicably a Vita version. I see no reason to even bother with that unless the game is going to be for everything capable of running it, which has been the standard for every NFS game.

schuelma

Iwata, can you hear me? I'm sending my brainwaves to overpower yours; give us info.... now!

Or gimme Nintendo Direct

Its coming Sadist, its coming.

I'm personally starting to think we might see a Monster Hunter Wii U version announced.

jmizzal

I just looked up info on NFS: Most Wanted for the first time, im not into racing games but wow that looks good, I will def buy it once the price drops.

Sadist

NfS MW looks like Burnout Paradise with licensed cars. Hopefully with "restart last race" option!

And yeah, the wait is almost over. I don't expect MH on Wii U though. Or we'll see MH 4 United or something like that.

Chaplain

oooooo, that is a great question. I would assume not because it's Nintendo, but who knows.

I asked because I mainly use this feature on racing games, and 100% of the time I do not like the soundtrack developers put on their racing games.

Hopefully they allow it.

oAJD1.jpg

From the IRC. I don't know if that devkit number is new or not, so posted just in case.

schuelma

Doubt it.

I think it is possible, and would explain the mixed signals coming from Capcom on localization.

I find it hard to believe Capcom is going to give up on home consoles when Tri did a million in Japan and did pretty well in the west.

Its coming Sadist, its coming.

I'm personally starting to think we might see a Monster Hunter Wii U version announced.

There have been...weird indicators of an HD Wii U Monster Hunter (likely an up-port, not a new game) lately.

Enough that I feel something is coming but that's my gut. I'd still brace for disappointment.

schuelma

There have been...weird indicators of an HD Wii U Monster Hunter (likely an up-port, not a new game) lately.

Enough that I feel something is coming but that's my gut. I'd still brace for disappointment.

Ahh ha! My spidey senses have been tingling for a while listening to Capcom's hints and explanations.

I suspect a Tri G online port with a few new monsters could still get the job done for Capcom.

I'll try and not get my hopes up, but it does make sense.

Edit- and your description of the indicators being weird is certainly interesting and has me flummoxed.

GameE

Ahh ha! My spidey senses have been tingling for a while listening to Capcom's hints and explanations.

I suspect a Tri G online port with a few new monsters could still get the job done for Capcom.

I'll try and not get my hopes up, but it does make sense.

3 versions of MHTri would be weird to me :S

AppleBlade

Anyone planning on changing how they go about purchasing games once the Wii U launches? Bad habits you are trying to break? Etc?
Yeah, I usually end up buying like 5 games when I buy a system (I don't usually buy at launch so I can usually get the good launch games at $20-$30) and I don't want to that especially since I'm buying at launch and the games will be full price.

My goal is 2-3 games but I am having a hell of a time trying to decide which ones. NintendoLand is in stone. After that, I am not sure. On one hand I still haven't played Mass Effect 3, Darksiders 2, Batman: AC (I only played a few hours of) and I might hold off to get Assassin's Creed 3 for WiiU. So I got those legit AAA third party multiplats. On the other hand we have ZombiU which I don't will be quite in the same league as those titles but it is an exclusive and seems like it'll make better use of the gamepad. Then of course there is New Super Mario Bros. U, I had a blast playing the Wii NSMB with my friends and family. Then there's other stuff like Rayman Legends, Project P-100, Pikmin 3, Rabbids Land, Just Dance 4 (I want some party games).

I guess reviews will make a big difference. It does look like this launch is going to blow away the Wii launch for sure though. Some Wii U haters like to ignore the multiplats but if you're own an owner and you haven't played those games those are legit AAA games to play and with those included this really is a strong launch. If it had a AAA Nintendo game (3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid Prime) it would be the best ever imo.

Dartastic

Another source from a month ago also said the Wii U version is releasing October 31st, the October release is very likely.
Do you have a link to that? That would make me very, very happy. =D

Yeah, I usually end up buying like 5 games when I buy a system (I don't usually buy at launch so I can usually get the good launch games at $20-$30) and I don't want to that especially since I'm buying at launch and the games will be full price.

My goal is 2-3 games but I am having a hell of a time trying to decide which ones. NintendoLand is in stone. After that, I am not sure. On one hand I still haven't played Mass Effect 3, Darksiders 2, Batman: AC (I only played a few hours of) and I might hold off to get Assassin's Creed 3 for WiiU. So I got those legit AAA third party multiplats. On the other hand we have ZombiU which I don't will be quite in the same league as those titles but it is an exclusive and seems like it'll make better use of the gamepad. Then of course there is New Super Mario Bros. U, I had a blast playing the Wii NSMB with my friends and family. Then there's other stuff like Rayman Legends, Project P-100, Pikmin 3, Rabbids Land, Just Dance 4 (I want some party games).

I guess reviews will make a big difference. It does look like this launch is going to blow away the Wii launch for sure though. Some Wii U haters like to ignore the multiplats but if you're own an owner and you haven't played those games those are legit AAA games to play and with those included this really is a strong launch. If it had a AAA Nintendo game (3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid Prime) it would be the best ever imo.
Rayman Legends is my only MUST HAVE day 1 game. The rest I can sorta wait on. I'll probably wind up getting ZombiU and Mario at launch also, but I LOVED Rayman Origins. Must get Legends.

Dartastic

Has to be a mistake since right above that they explicitly say there is no release date for Wii U.
For the system. Not for the game. It makes sense that the game will come out around the same time as the system. HEHEH

Edit: I'm getting a bit crazy. I need new news. o.o

Do you have a link to that? That would make me very, very happy. =D

Rayman Legends is my only MUST HAVE day 1 game. The rest I can sorta wait on. I'll probably wind up getting ZombiU and Mario at launch also, but I LOVED Rayman Origins. Must get Legends.

Before this week, Zombi U was my Must Get title with Rayman Legends being a Will Also Get, which I was sure I'd probably buy along with the system. After playing Origins… oh, man, so good. Soooo gooooooooood. It's better than New Super Mario Bros Wii, and I liked that game quite a bit. In fact, maybe I should start referring to Ubisoft as the True First Party for Nintendo systems.

Come to think of it, didn't Ancel or some other Ubi-guy say a while back that they wanted to increase their quality to Nintendo level for coming titles? I think they pulled it off.

Every move is like flying. SOOOOOO GOOOOOOD!!!!!

edit: Here it is:
Ubisoft Aiming for 'Nintendo-like Quality'

they were only 3 years late with their promise

thought i'd run this by bgassasin etc

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1661804&postcount=1897

Could be nothing but is this an insider saying Wii U is just using an overclocked Xenos as the GPU?

It is a bit surprising because WiiU devkits are quite well distributed now and most everyone has them.

If I were to contribute something it would be I think the reason why much hasn't come out is that... there isn't much to come out. Think of the Wii GPU relative to the Gamecube, not much to say there really, but this time it's the WiiU relative to the 360.

Don't expect any crazy surprises. The real surprise will be it's exactly what you expected.

Edit: Wii U GPU explicitly is known to be DX10 though right? Or at least "supposedly"

Meelow

Banned
thought i'd run this by bgassasin etc

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1661804&postcount=1897

Could be nothing but is this an insider saying Wii U is just using an overclocked Xenos as the GPU?

Edit: Wii U GPU explicitly is known to be DX10 though right? Or at least "supposedly"

Considering BG and some other people said it uses GPGPU and we know it uses Radeon HD, I don't think so.

I heard from some sites that's it's DX11, I could be wrong though you should ask BG.

JordanN

Banned
Wii U's GPU is guaranteed to be more feature set heavy than Xenos ever will be so that comparison is literally meaningless.

"The AMD custom graphics processor features a modern and rich graphics processing core, allowing the new console to shine with new graphics capabilities."
http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-and-nintendo-join-2011june07.aspx

Xenos is 7 years old and based on X1950/R600 technology (both have been discontinued by AMD for the longest time now)...

Wii U's GPU is guaranteed to be more feature set heavy than Xenos ever will be so that comparison is literally meaningless.

"The AMD custom graphics processor features a modern and rich graphics processing core, allowing the new console to shine with new graphics capabilities."
http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-and-nintendo-join-2011june07.aspx

Xenos is 7 years old and based on X1950/R600 technology (both have been discontinued by AMD for the longest time now)...

Xenos is not based on X1950. For one it had unified shaders.

I wonder if they could have just glued on DX10 to the Xenos chip or something? Just scatter shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom