• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed with Destiny 2 reveal?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Destiny Reveal for me was like

Pre-Show

observing.gif

Luke Talking

KBx7fQoLxuV7G.gif

First Gameplay

tumblr_nirxmyD1mq1smzyhdo1_400.gif

PC Spec and Feature News

tumblr_inline_nhkrm74QcO1t1c5s5.gif

About an hour later when people started talking about a delay

giphy.gif

When some Activision person more or less confirmed it

SmpV6sKa1vBxm.gif

Today

SDiiSUD.gif

Spoo

I'm of two minds about it.

I prepared myself mentally long before the game was revealed such that I don't think it'd be fair to say I am disappointed. In a way, I sort of feel like, I'm not capable of being disappointed in something that I'm 100% responsible for creating the expectations of -- Bungie never gave us much to snack on in preparation, so I'm coming at it completely fresh.

I do think it's the *safest* approximation of Destiny 2 that they could have done. It's a completely iterative step; not too far in any one direction, maintains the gunplay that everyone loves, and the flow of it seems to be more or less what we left off with the latest version of D1. There's still clearly a lot they haven't shown, explained, or delved into -- so it would be really presumptuous to make assertions about lack of content, or what-have-you.

I'm in a cautiously optimistic part of my reaction. I want to see more, and I want to know more. I want to get my hands on it. I need, and this is a big one, *need* to know what their content pipeline looks like.

What will they do on a daily basis? Weekly? Monthly? Yearly? How will they keep the game fresh. They have a "new" engine, probably tool chain, so how does that translate to a better Destiny experience. We need those details almost more than anything else.

I do think people who are calling it an expansion, or D1.5, aren't being too fair. We simply need to know more if we're going to go into it with those sort of accusations.

Very disappointed.. I don't think they added a single new feature outside of clans. Could be wrong..

Still buying it day one.. lol.

Don't judge me

Fuck no I wasn't disappointed. I am hyped even more watching the reveal, as were my friends. But we all put a thousand hours or more into Destiny 1 and we're all in our 30's.

I am not surprised with the GAF reception of the reveal though. D1 was hated on by the general gaming boards and I see D2 being no different. BUNGIE is making D2 for the fans of D1 and I couldn't be happier. If you weren't into D1 then Destiny 2 probably won't be for yoy and I think with how HUGE the D1 community was and how many people still play the game 3 years later, Bungie is fine with that. I made some amazing online friends with D1 and I still play with those people today. Can't wait to pour another thousand hours into D2.

Fireflu

Absolutely, everything about it feels so painfully safe and dull.

It looks like a carbon copy of Destiny 1's visuals and gameplay. For some reason I was expecting Bungie to go all out with Destiny 2 and build off of the foundations they made in the first game. Instead they played it so safe that this looks like it could have easily been an expansion (hell for all we know it could have originally been before it got the sequel branding).

So utterly disappointed with the direction this series has taken. The competitive multiplayer feels like the primary focus of this franchise now and I couldn't be any less interested...

But man after playing Horizon Zero Dawn recently I cannot get over how awful this game looks graphically. It looks like a mid gen PS3 release without the excuse of being developed for last gen consoles anymore. Everything in the game looks so flat and cheap, like all the reflections and shaders have been disabled, giving the game a horrible matte look...

A bit disappointed actually.

I think not releasing with Xbox Live support on PC is a mistake and huge missed opportunity. Bungie/Activision shitting on Xbox players YET again...

Just makes me shake my head.

...Such as?

Off the top of my head? Enemy count, environment scale, the graphics and animations are better, there are actual NPCs that can accompany you through missions now, the patrol zones are larger and there's presumably a lot more to do in them, load times are reduced by virtue of not needing to load out to orbit first. These are things that they couldn't do with an expansion to D1.

As someone looking at Bunge's past catalogue of Halo, I was hoping for an FPS with good and interesting AI again but that doesn't seem to be the case from the reveal, seems the same as the first game.

BlakeofT

Having new classes and enemies and dedicated servers is just too much for Destiny fans. Having new classes, Too radical of a change!

If Nintendo ever listened to these types of fans they never would have made BOTW.
But it does have new (sub)classes and new enemies... Even the ones that persisted are drastically different from what I can tell.

No dedicated servers, sure thats disappointing but I wouldn't have been surprised either way.

Edit: and as for the Zelda comment, expecting that much change for any given sequel is a total mistake.

NaviLink

Disappointing for me for multiple reasons:
- PC version apparently being released later than consoles (to be expected but still, annoying)
- No cross saves between platforms, which bothers me a lot
- Guided games and clans inside the game are steps in the right direction, but I'll never understand why they don't just put an optional matchmaking for every type of activity instead of making this so convoluted
- Crucible being 4 Vs 4 for all game types is a baffling decision in my eyes
- And as many said, the feeling of Destiny 1.5 is real. But that opening mission being more scripted and having that setpiece feeling is nice, it definitely was lacking in the first game.

I'll probably wait for the DLCs to come out, just like I did with D1 and The Taken King.

psyfi

Banned
I was (and still am) extremely critical of Destiny 1, and while I have some reservations about Destiny 2, I see a lot to be excited about. The class changes, the bigger playspaces with more exploration opportunities, the new weapon system, the new weapons, and all the QOL changes -- all of it looks great. I think the graphics look too similar to the first game, but I don't care much about graphics. My only big concern is that the launch content is going to get old fast again.

Off the top of my head? Enemy count, environment scale, the graphics and animations are better, there are actual NPCs that can accompany you through missions now, the patrol zones are larger and there's presumably a lot more to do in them, load times are reduced by virtue of not needing to load out to orbit first. These are things that they couldn't do with an expansion to D1.

I have to wonder how many of these are "can't do in D1" vs "didn't do in D1". The Destiny team had notoriously shitty development tools, didn't they? How much of that accounts for "we couldn't do that"?

Like, the technology wasn't available to have an NPC accompany you for Destiny 1?

jwk94

for those saying that this just seems like an extension, what are you looking for in a sequel?

Cross-posting myself from the Destiny 2 stream thread:

Clearly different setting and look. That's the problem people have with Destiny 2, the visual identity is far too simular to Destiny 1.

Every uncharted is Nathan Drake shooting stuff or it wouldn't be an Uncharted game. That's it's visual identity. However, with each subsequent entry, Naughty Dog is willing to tweak that visual identity to make it apparent that this isn't the game you just played. Those tweaks could involve different art styles, way new areas, or something ass simple as a change to the hud (this is most apparent in destiny 2).

A similar logic applies to the cod games, although to a lesser extent. They all are clearly cod, but unless you're visiting a vastly different setting (ww1, vs ww2, vs future), they all maintain a largely unchanged visual identity. That's why everyone always says cod games look the same as the last one. Unless you're very attentive and bother to do a quick comparison, you'll probably think the same thing.

So when people say Destiny 2 looks like an expansion they say that because Bungie didn't so much to change the game's visual identity. They prescribed to the " don't fix what's not broken model." That's all fine and dandy when your shooting is top notch like Destiny, but you need to do something to the visuals to make consumers feel like they're not doing the same thing over again.

If you want me to elaborate further, I'd be more than happy to. I typed this on my phone just after waking up, so my thoughts might be all over the place.

Edit :
You can apply the same logic to why people thought the recent 2d Mario games and Splatoon 2 vs Splatoon 1 look so similar.

Neverwas

I wasn't blown away by anything shown, but it does look a lot more cinematic than D1, and that's a decent selling point for me.

I have to wonder how many of these are "can't do in D1" vs "didn't do in D1". The Destiny team had notoriously shitty development tools, didn't they? How much of that accounts for "we couldn't do that"?

Like, the technology wasn't available to have an NPC accompany you for Destiny 1?
Accompanying NPCs is a Scorpio feature.

psyfi

Banned
No new race and class is super disappointing. It seems like a standard thing to expect from an addon/sequel.
I think it's fair to expect it, but it's also fair of Bungie to not prioritize it. If we have different abilities anyways, what's the difference?

btags

I'm of two minds about it.

I prepared myself mentally long before the game was revealed such that I don't think it'd be fair to say I am disappointed. In a way, I sort of feel like, I'm not capable of being disappointed in something that I'm 100% responsible for creating the expectations of -- Bungie never gave us much to snack on in preparation, so I'm coming at it completely fresh.

I do think it's the *safest* approximation of Destiny 2 that they could have done. It's a completely iterative step; not too far in any one direction, maintains the gunplay that everyone loves, and the flow of it seems to be more or less what we left off with the latest version of D1. There's still clearly a lot they haven't shown, explained, or delved into -- so it would be really presumptuous to make assertions about lack of content, or what-have-you.

I'm in a cautiously optimistic part of my reaction. I want to see more, and I want to know more. I want to get my hands on it. I need, and this is a big one, *need* to know what their content pipeline looks like.

What will they do on a daily basis? Weekly? Monthly? Yearly? How will they keep the game fresh. They have a "new" engine, probably tool chain, so how does that translate to a better Destiny experience. We need those details almost more than anything else.

I do think people who are calling it an expansion, or D1.5, aren't being too fair. We simply need to know more if we're going to go into it with those sort of accusations.

I think this is a major point. I only played the beta of destiny, but I think the main problem with the game has always been lack of content for me and for a lot of people post launch a lack of regular content updates. I am still not super interested in Destiny 2, but I hope that the tool chain allows them to come out with much more regular content updates. I also think it would be really smart for them to detail how that could now be possible and maybe make a comparison of something that was really difficult to do development-wise in Destiny 1 but is now much more streamlined for Destiny 2. I do not think they will talk or show much of that, because it is not too attractive for advertising.

They couldn't program an NPC to follow you before? That makes absolutely no sense.

And I'm having a hard time sourcing any of the other claims like enemy count, environment scale, etc. Any interviews/impressions that back those up?

From what we've heard of the dev tools in D1 they were a nightmare. Didn't Kotaku have that piece talking about the map editor taking a dozen or more hours to make any changes?

You can see that they were able to do a lot more with encounters and enemy counts once they dropped last-gen support - Wrath of the Machine encounters like the death zamboni would not have been playable on a PS3. It feels like they're able to dramatically increase the scale of things in D2, doubling the players that you can be instanced with and the size of patrol zones. I think a lot of things weren't technically possible on D1 with the dev tools they were working with.

Par Score

From what I've seen it's a bunch of cut content from Destiny combined with a few cut expansions. It doesn't look like anything that couldn't have been done working off Destiny as a base, and that's a problem.

You either go full WoW, 10 year plan, single point of entry, or you make meaningful changes and true sequels.

When you're touting matchmaking, slight tweaks to weapon classes, and being able to switch planets without being able to go to orbit as major features in your reveal, it's just...

I'm sure the shooting will be fun, because it's Bungie. But it all feels so, so lacking. Lacking in ambition, lacking in content. So, kinda like Destiny.

Absolutely, everything about it feels so painfully safe and dull.

It looks like a carbon copy of Destiny 1's visuals and gameplay. For some reason I was expecting Bungie to go all out with Destiny 2 and build off of the foundations they made in the first game. Instead they played it so safe that this looks like it could have easily been an expansion (hell for all we know it could have originally been before it got the sequel branding).

So utterly disappointed with the direction this series has taken. The competitive multiplayer feels like the primary focus of this franchise now and I couldn't be any less interested...

But man after playing Horizon Zero Dawn recently I cannot get over how awful this game looks graphically. It looks like a mid gen PS3 release without the excuse of being developed for last gen consoles anymore. Everything in the game looks so flat and cheap, like all the reflections and shaders have been disabled, giving the game a horrible matte look...

Is this serious? This is why people don't take Destiny hate seriously. Do you remember what 2009-era PS3 games actually looked like, or do you just want to be as negative as possible?

mrqs

I mean, i will play it, for sure. Loved my time with Destiny 1.

But it really looks the same, and i didn't find the new planets that good looking. Haven't got me excited.

The gameplay alone and the loot cycle is what i want, but sure, disappointing.

It was about what I expected to be honest. Although, despite it being an unrealistic hope, I was disappointed that they didn't announce some method of cross platform play. All my friends are on PS4, but I want it so bad for PC.

Toni

I honest to god, cant believe people are putting this as a grand, new feature as an end to all things.

Demon Souls, in 2009, in PS3, had quests where NPC's accompanied you in missions.

Skyrim in PS3, also had it. And that came out in 2011.

Holy shit folks.

The thing with D2 is it was clearly designed around the purpose of fixing the things the actual Destiny community had with the original and not necessarily to bring in outsiders

Almost every QoL improvement we've seen is directly tied into issues that active players had the most issue in. The constant needing to go to Orbit, Patrol zones being lifeless and boring, not a ton of functionality in game for finding and grouping with friends and other players, etc.

This game was designed to appeal to those that are playing it right now in Year 3 still and to those who put a lot of time in D1 but have gotten bored with it. It wasn't designed as a total reworking to get people on board who aren't there already, as there is no guarantee trying to appeal to those people would even work and the huge changes may piss off the already huge loyal fan base.

Bungie is delivering a safe sequel but I'm not sure they can really be faulted on that front all that much. Their dedicated base are the ones who are going to be buying expansions / microtransactions. Not a new player they rope in to rush through the campaign and move on.

There are thing to critique. Dedicated servers should be there. It shouldn't be delayed launch on PC. They likely could and should have added some more variety to the content. But at the end of the day D2 is a game designed and targeted at it's base not to convert new people over to it.

0racle

Big time.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it was not this.

I played everything destiny has to offer up to and including the taken King. I enjoyed the game of course, but was not obsessed. I had one character and played all the content and raided a few times for gear.

I tuned in off and on during the reveal yesterday at work mainly wanting to see how it looks. I really know nothing about the structure of the game or what's new. But from the gameplay reveal and strike I saw I can't tell if if someome was trolling by having destiny 1 footage with destiny 2 video title on you tube.

Graphics and overall look is almost exactly the same from what I remember with destiny 1. Sure, hardcore players may notice bigger changes but from a player that put in hundreds of hours in the first and stopped, my memory of d1 is what I see with d2. Its doing nothing for me excitement wise. I feel I have already been there done that.

Zakalwe

Banned
I played Destiny for about 5 hours and that was good enough for me. D2 reveal did nothing to tempt me.

You really didn't get to /any/ of the good stuff.

I honest to god, cant believe people are putting this as a grand, new feature as an end to all things.

Demon Souls, in 2009, in PS3, had quests where NPC's accompanied you in missions.

Skyrim in PS3, also had it.

Holy shit folks.

The only thing that deserves a "holy shit people" here is your silly, OTT response to a single aspect listed in the improvements that user poster.

Single one thing out and hold it up as incompetent devs or something similarly dumb.

This thread is hilarious.

Spoo

Asked this in a different thread, and I'll ask it here:

What warrants an overhaul in any aspect of this game?

Nothing, necessarily.

They had two potential paths to take. Take the D1 formula and iterate on it heavily (which is what they chose), or branch off, go full MMO, and become something in the same universe but very, very different.

Of course, given their choice, they do need to be *on point* with their iteration. It needs to be, in almost every way, better than the first game.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Things I like:

- Clans
- A proper campaign
- Unlocked fps on PC
- No need to go to orbit

Things I don't like:

- No new classes or new races
- No dedicated servers
- PvP locked on 4v4 for all modes
- 30fps on consoles
- PC release delayed
- No new enemies
- Reused assets
- Besides QoL improvements, game feels more like an expansion rather than a brand new sequel.

I was expecting a lot more for D2, but they failed to impress me.

No, I was not disappointed at the limited reveak without any real details about the stuff you speak of OP.

We arr in the age of overraction. Just let it happen, let it release, let the beta come and go and then mayne complain.

Shredderi

In a way. I wasn't invested in Destiny 1 in any way so I wasn't super interested in this. I was hoping it would look amazing and make me want this but it failed to do that. Seems like it's catering to the fans of the first one and since there are more than enough fans for it, it's not a bad move propably, but for newcomers like me who weren't impressed by the first one, this fails to captivate me. Looks like the first one. The lighting looks a bit better but I did expect a bigger graphical improvement.

So far, not for me.

Skyrim in PS3, also had it.

Holy shit people.

lol I don't know why you're seemingly so upset about it. I didn't tout it as a grand new never before seen feature, but Destiny didn't have NPCs outside of standing in place at the tower. Being able to have friendly AI, even if they're scripted, can go a long way to making more engaging story missions and areas feel more alive. I can only assume the reason Destiny didn't have any (and never added any in expansions) is because they lacked the ability to do so.

RdN

I'm a HUGE Destiny fan, with more than 80 days played on it already...

And I admit, I'm underwhelmed.

It just doesn't look like a full sequel to me.. From the graphics to the reconditioned skills.. It feels more like an expansion like TTK than a full fletched sequel.

And don't get me started on the lack of fucking DEDICATED SERVERS. It's 2017! What the fuck is this P2P shit?

I hope Bungie has more in store, specially a really great Scorpio version.

pieface

To me, it feels like what Destiny 1 should have been, and not a true sequel. If the game plays how they say it will it could be fun. But there was a lot of promises with D1 and I feel I got completely ripped off. I didn't play the DLC, they didn't deserve the money.

After the reveal I only have 2 complaints.

Nerfed movement
The removal of special weopons slot.

Both seem to try to slow the pace of combat down. I'm sure the encounters will be designed for it. But I'm still a little bummed.

R0ckman

I'm not trying to sound condescending but I don't feel that to be a destiny fan means you need to be accepting of everything. That seems more like a "loyalist". The stream yesterday was more for fans that lean towards the "loyaltist" side of the spectrum.

The stream didn't show anything with the core gameplay showing real dynamic enhancements. Normally in sequels, besides new locals, you get new mechanics that enhance the original or changes the dynamic in a way that you aren't just doing the exact same thing with a different backdrop. The fact that we only get somewhat remixed and shuffled abilities, very limited enemy changes, etc shows that not much was looked into changing what was there, its VERY safe. I can't say exactly what's going on since I'm not a dev at bungie but I can't imagine a imaginative developer working on the abilities "excited" about these changes to the subclass abilities. In the video where they are saying how cool the powers are it honestly confused me, it didn't feel cool or ambitious or exciting. The arcstrider still did what he did before as a bladedancer only with a pole and more flashiness. It's like getting excited that you get to build a car with the exact same pieces you had before and following the same limitations, and I guess thats what I feel, I feel like the dev team was under somekind of limitation rule.

Like with strikes, just as a quick off the wall example, why not have actual instances or zones that are built to have random people in the space help out in parts of strikes? It adds something new to the formula but doesn't change the entire thing that makes strikes strikes. But As of now, the strikes play exactly the same, not good for players like me who played 4-6 hours, sometimes all day playing strikes over and damn over. The formula is EXACTLY the same, absolutely no new variables to make the experience actually NEW.

I feel we are getting more, but more of close to the exact same.

entremet

Yes. It seems the whole Destiny 2 schtick is to please its hardcore than bring in new blood.

I'm in the new blood territory and it's doesn't seem appealing.

Top Bottom