• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds Aonuma Interview From Nintendo's Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-...f-zelda-a-link-between-worlds/379446052188331

Hi, I am Eiji Aonuma, producer of The Legend of Zelda series. I was thrilled to see so many comments from all over Europe to Monday's post, so I've decided to answer all of the original questions! Let's begin…

Players will be able to choose which weapons they upgrade. Which weapon upgrade do you find especially useful?

I would recommend the bow. When you upgrade the bow you can fire 3 arrows at once and they spread out in a fan shape so it's far easier to hit enemies than with a single arrow like normal. However, since you are firing 3 arrows at once it will use up more of your energy gauge. So be careful because if you get carried away and keep on firing too much, after a while you won't be able to fire any more.

Fans will recognise many elements from the world of A Link to the Past. What was your process behind deciding which elements of that world to keep and which ones to replace with something new?

Most of the enemies that appear in the field for example are touched up versions of characters from A Link to the Past. We've recreated a very similar world to that game in 3D so we thought it would be fun if the enemies there fought in the same way as in A Link to the Past. However, since the 3D effect introduces the new concept of height to the gameplay we have changed some attacks so that they take height into account. We have also brought back some characters from A Link to the Past. These are characters where there is a point to having them there in a similar role to what they had in A Link to the Past. Perhaps most notably Sahasrahla, who guides Link on this adventure too, helping him, using the knowledge he has as an elder.

As players are free to tackle the dungeons in any order, how did you ensure that someone who picks a certain dungeon first can enjoy it just as much as someone who tackles that particular dungeon last?

In terms of the difficulty level, each dungeon features new ideas involving the item you need to use there, so there isn't some kind of process or order you can follow to make it easier. However, if you are using a particular item more than normal you will become more used to it so you may find it easier to complete the corresponding dungeon in that case. However this is a reflection of your own skills increasing so I think the game would be most fun if you try out lots of different approaches.

Yuga is the main villain in the game. What can you tell us about his origins?

The name “Yuga” is derived from the Japanese word for oil paintings because he has the ability to use magic to turn people into paintings. We wanted the character concept to be a crazed artist and so we made him into an unusual character where you can't quite tell if he is supposed to be male or female. He might be close to Ghirahim from Skyward Sword in terms of having an over inflated self-importance.

Who is Mother MaiaMai and how did all her babies get spread all over Hyrule and Lorule?

She is shrouded in mystery. I don't actually know myself exactly why she looks like she does. However, as the question mentioned, she exists in both Hyrule and Lorule and we thought it would work well to make her a bit different from other characters since she has this ability to travel between worlds. So we decided to make her look a bit alien. If you rescue all of the Maiamai then you may learn a little more about her so I would encourage you to play and discover this for yourself.

Oh, one more thing. I see many of you have been asking about a remake of Majora's Mask for Nintendo 3DS. It's nice to see such a strong response to this title and we haven't forgotten about Link's adventures in that world. If you play A Link Between Worlds, you may better understand what I mean by that.

Thank you so much for your comments! Until next time,

Eiji Aonuma

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Eiji Aonuma said:
Oh, one more thing. I see many of you have been asking about a remake of Majora's Mask for Nintendo 3DS. It's nice to see such a strong response to this title and we haven't forgotten about Link's adventures in that world. If you play A Link Between Worlds, you may better understand what I mean by that.
Passing cameo confirmed?

Mistle

It's great if this game has a connection to MM (and not just shoehorned in, but proper origin ties and such).
But even if it does, I still want the remake! D:

I'm having trouble figuring out how the difficulty curve is going to progress in a balanced way if you can choose your dungeons in any order...

TreIII

Lorule is termina then?

Or perhaps they're both just smaller segments of the same world.

I mean, the Oracle games confirmed that Hyrule isn't the only landmass that exists in these games (at least in this timeline branch, certainly). So, maybe the way Termina and Lorule exist together is like how Labrynna and Holodrum are neighboring lands to Hyrule.

My theory on the Majora's Mask is that Majora's Mask is something that exists in all timelines and Zelda universes. Maybe it's the same one and somehow finds its way into each one like it has a mind of its own, like Galactus.

I'm having trouble figuring out how the difficulty curve is going to progress in a balanced way if you can choose your dungeons in any order...

He had this to say on IGN. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10...rlds-impact-on-zeldas-past-present-and-future

His response leads to the inevitable questions: Can such an open format still maintain a type of progression? Will some dungeons still be harder than others? Aonuma told us that the adventure is split into two clumps: early dungeons and later dungeons. The earlier dungeons are easier since they’re the first dungeons in the game. Potentially, these dungeons would show players the ropes and teach them how to get through the game. “But in the late dungeons, things do get more difficult. Within each dungeon, you’ll have a lot of obstacles to overcome using different actions, “ Aonuma said.

“As far as the items themselves, even though you have the items from the beginning, some of them are more difficult to use. Some of them will take more practice. I think that’s where you’ll find the differences in difficulty showing up. You might find a dungeon that requires you to use an item that you maybe haven’t used a lot yet, so you have to train yourself in order to overcome something.” Aonuma also confirmed if a player dies with a rental item from the shop, they lose that item.

TreIII

Glad to see they haven't forgotten about the best Zelda game ever.

I want a new Zelda game in the Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 worlds.

You and me both. But considering that ALBW introduces the most interesting development to this side of the TL that Z1 and Z2 belong to, maybe we finally will find out what happened after AOL one day!

Thanks. I'm still skeptical. I don't like the way items revolve so heavily around a shop instead of being integrated into the overall exploration part of the game, nor do I like seeing a spread of the various items before you get them, thus eliminating some of the novelty of discovery. I kinda wonder why they didn't just stick with LoZ, LttP, or OoT which give you options between two or more dungeons at certain points, or leave side quests or mini-dungeons more open to player discretion while still maintaining a strong overall arc.

Timeaisis

I'm still digging the any order dungeons, thing. I think it gives them a reason to make each dungeon more unique and difficult or challenging on it's own merits, as opposed to making the first one easy and steadily increase. Gives me faith in the dungeon design overall, which is good.

As for the item rental thing, I'm still not sold on the concept, and you can bet I'll be buying my items. ;)

Still, this game looks amazing and I'm really excited for it.

RagnarokX

Might want to dial back your expectations, guys. The Majora's Mask cameo in Ravio's shop satisfies this quote. It could be nothing more than that.

Velcro Fly

I bet we see a couple scenarios where doing a dungeon early makes it harder (but not impossible!) just for lack of a certain item or two than if you did it later on. It wouldn't be surprising to me if there was some sort of "intended order" not explicitly stated in the game. Also difficulty in Zelda dungeons is seldom linear from start to finish. That goes for puzzles, traversing the dungeon, and even boss fights.

Timeaisis

I bet we see a couple scenarios where doing a dungeon early makes it harder (but not impossible!) just for lack of a certain item or two than if you did it later on. It wouldn't be surprising to me if there was some sort of "intended order" not explicitly stated in the game. Also difficulty in Zelda dungeons is seldom linear from start to finish. That goes for puzzles, traversing the dungeon, and even boss fights.

I actually really like that idea. Like some dungeons you really only need the bow, but there's a part that's a lot easier when you have the hookshot or something. Could make for an interesting progression and different play experiences among people. I dig it.

Might want to dial back your expectations, guys. The Majora's Mask cameo in Ravio's shop satisfies this quote. It could be nothing more than that.
Specifically mentioning demand for a 3DS port would be a hell of a way to allude to one minor visual cue within a new game, and hopelessly oblivious coming from a guy who has had a decade to come to understand how wound up fans of the series can get over the smallest slip of the tongue.

giapel

To be honest, zelda dungeons never really increased in difficulty as the game progressed. You just get to use different (more) items. Sense of progression is a tricky thing though, one that crippled Prince of Persia when it did the whole "any level at any time".

saska

45137-Instant-karma-just-add-cat--Pa-uXJ8.gif

that last part about majoras mask

KarmaCow

As players are free to tackle the dungeons in any order, how did you ensure that someone who picks a certain dungeon first can enjoy it just as much as someone who tackles that particular dungeon last?

In terms of the difficulty level, each dungeon features new ideas involving the item you need to use there, so there isn't some kind of process or order you can follow to make it easier. However, if you are using a particular item more than normal you will become more used to it so you may find it easier to complete the corresponding dungeon in that case. However this is a reflection of your own skills increasing so I think the game would be most fun if you try out lots of different approaches.

Am I reading too much into this or does this mean each dungeon isn't entirely focused on the key item? So you could say use Pegasus Boots to run through a closing door instead using the Cane of Somaria to weigh down a switch.

RagnarokX

Specifically mentioning demand for a 3DS port would be a hell of a way to allude to one minor visual cue within a new game, and hopelessly oblivious coming from a guy who has had a decade to come to understand how wound up fans of the series can get over the smallest slip of the tongue.

He said that they haven't forgotten that world. A cameo would be proof they haven't forgotten.

Albo

It hard to make out if he means there's more hints in there to MM 3DS or that it'll play a part in the story. I have a feeling it's just the former but i'd like to be wrong.

Perhaps most notably Sahasrahla, who guides Link on this adventure too, helping him, using the knowledge he has as an elder.

Hmm...

My theory on the Majora's Mask is that Majora's Mask is something that exists in all timelines and Zelda universes. Maybe it's the same one and somehow finds its way into each one like it has a mind of its own, like Galactus.

It always existed in each timeline, we just don't know what happened to it in the adult and downfall timelines. The happy mask salesman may never have gone to termina at all, or maybe he did but skull kid never came across the mask, so the events of MM never took place or maybe they did and termina got destroyed.

Perhaps it eventually rebuilt as lorule or something, as the destruction set the foundation for a dark kingdom now predominantly inhabited by evil. The inhabitants with the masks in the official artwork, mm in the shop, the large, long chasms that could've been caused by the moon crash and the world has a central area like clock town surrounded by the different regions...Feels like I'm reaching a bit here lol

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

It feels like he's GOTTA mean something more than that, if only cause the Mask was right there in pre-release media. It'd be like saying "ohoho OOT fans, we haven't forgotten you, just play through Wind Waker and you will see why," and he was referring to the Keaton mask behind the figuring making guy.

Chris R

Item rental system sounds really strange. I'm not going to buy the game day one, but I'll pay close attention to the threads that pop up and read a few reviews... If it works and the game is great I'll be able to get past the graphics and enjoy it I hope.

RagnarokX

It feels like he's GOTTA mean something more than that, if only cause the Mask was right there in pre-release media. It'd be like saying "ohoho OOT fans, we haven't forgotten you, just play through Wind Waker and you will see why," and he was referring to the Keaton mask behind the figuring making guy.

I'm hoping it's more than that, too. I'm just saying better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

ZTF2i.gif

JDSN

Banned
A Link Between Worlds tying all the Zelda universes together and even the Stephen King ones CONFIRMED.

Bagu

Or perhaps they're both just smaller segments of the same world.

I mean, the Oracle games confirmed that Hyrule isn't the only landmass that exists in these games (at least in this timeline branch, certainly). So, maybe the way Termina and Lorule exist together is like how Labrynna and Holodrum are neighboring lands to Hyrule.

You know that 'enemy nation' mentioned in Majora's Mask. I bet it was Lorule!

TreIII

You know that 'enemy nation' mentioned in Majora's Mask. I bet it was Lorule!

...You might be on to something, there!

I mean, who knows if Aonuma and his crew even remember that plot point, but it sure would be interesting if they did!

The thing about Lorule is that it's a parallel dimension and not actually physically connected to the world in which Hyrule resides. Link rode to Termina on a horse. Then he fell down that hole and maybe some weird stuff happened and maybe he ended up in another dimension, but he rode out of Hyrule on a horse and then fell down the hole. To get to Lorule, Link goes into portals in the walls, sort of how he uses portals under rocks and stuff in LttP. Also, Termina doesn't look like Hyrule at all like Lorule. Termina looks like a completely different country. So, what I'm saying is that Lorule is the Sacred Realm.

Xelinis

Majora's Mask remake using the A Link Between Worlds engine confirmed.

Now that would be interesting.

Bagu

...You might be on to something, there!

I mean, who knows if Aonuma and his crew even remember that plot point, but it sure would be interesting if they did!
That's how it should be from now on; Aonuma taking radom, throw-away lines from past games and creating stories, settings, and mechanics from them.
The Legend of Zelda: Grooseland Rebellion for the Nintendo VR handheld-console hybrid in 2020!

Tookay

The thing about Lorule is that it's a parallel dimension and not actually physically connected to the world in which Hyrule resides. Link rode to Termina on a horse. Then he fell down that hole and maybe some weird stuff happened and maybe he ended up in another dimension, but he rode out of Hyrule on a horse and then fell down the hole. To get to Lorule, Link goes into portals in the walls, sort of how he uses portals under rocks and stuff in LttP. Also, Termina doesn't look like Hyrule at all like Lorule. Termina looks like a completely different country. So, what I'm saying is that Lorule is the Sacred Realm.

Termina is in a parallel dimension too. That's the reason why there are counterparts to OoT characters there (well, the canonical reason anyway, because the developmental one is just that they reused assets).

Termina is in a parallel dimension too. That's the reason why there are counterparts to OoT characters there (well, the canonical reason anyway, because the developmental one is just that they reused assets).

Whatever it is, it's not the reflection of Hyrule that Lorule is.

Top Bottom