• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu provides new details for Matsuno's Crimson Shroud

duckroll

JQSl1.jpg

INQlU.jpg

- The story of the game is set in a middle ages fantasy era, where magic has existed in the world for a thousand years. But this is not a world where magic naturally exists, instead the back story of the world revolves around "Gyfts" which people believe to be given by the gods. Magic in not something which people learn and master in this world, but rather used by harnessing these objects known as Gyfts. It is said that magic first came into this world through the "Original Gyft" a thousand year ago, a Gyft with the power to copy and replicate magic. Since then, Gyfts have spread throughout the world, each Gyft can be harnessed to use a specific type of magic.

hdXZV.jpg

- The main character Giauque is a Chaser in his late 20s. Chasers are bounty hunters who are paid to track down objects or people. He possesses keen insight and sharp judgement, which helps him his job and he is well respected by his peers. Based on his mannerisms, it is believed by some that he is of noble upbringing and is a cultured person.

ZCKtN.jpg

- I'll just copy the info about Frea from the first trailer, since it is so much better:
Frea is a girl of the Kush tribe, a people known for their many shamans. The Kush are a nomadic tribe that traverser all borders, beholden to no land. They are loathed by the common-folk as a heretical sect, and are frequently subjected to acts of prejudice. THeir religious beliefs are unpopular and unaccepted, forcing them to live as outlaws. These wanderers believe the pursuit of "knowledge" is the be-all and end-all, transcending conventional hierarchies of kingdom, race, and faith. Still, the Kush have long been adept practitioners of sorcery and astrology, and were once even trusted by those who remember a time before the "Gyfts." In those days, they were believed to be the "Ones that Show the Way."

- Frea is one of the party members in the game, and her knowledge of Gyfts is a driving point in the adventure. The prologue shows Frea getting injured, but how and why she is in that position is something players will find out in the game itself through a flashbacks.

5Vi44.jpg
NSEcj.jpg

- The main game is about Giauque receiving a dangerous task to investigate the truth behind the "Crimson Shroud" which is the proper name for the Original Gyft. This mission brings him to the Sun-Gilt Palace of Rahab, the site of an ancient ruin. This is what brings his party members together, and the setting of the entire game.

- The gameplay is a mix of text adventure and dungeon exploration. There will be set locations around the Palace of Rahab which will initiate event scenes or battles when explored. The event scenes are presented like a text adventure, and there will also be choices the player can make along the way. There will also be multiple endings. After finishing the game once, some choices which were not previously available will become available when the game is played again.

- The battle system is a menu based combat system where players pick from commands to execute. Sometimes, when executing a certain command in battle, you will be required to roll a set of die to determine your success. Matsuno says that initially he wanted to make every single command dice driven to simulate the feel of a table top RPG, but that created pacing problems in the game was wasn't very fun. Since then he has toned down the frequency of the dice roll requirements, and balanced it out.

- The game is not expected to be very long, but rather replayable. As for the feel of the game itself, Matsuno says that the game can be compared to taking out all the climatic events and the final dungeon in a big RPG, and making an entire game focused around that. A short story which starts from the climax of a larger tale.

Text adventure and dungeon exploration? This was easily my most hyped game of the bunch but knowing that....maybe not so much any more. Guess I was hoping for something else.

Still sounds like it could be good though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Very cool. Seems like something straight out of a C64 RPG except you know, better graphics and perhaps a more fleshed out story :p

Reveirg

"Matsuno says that the game can be compared to taking out all the climatic events and the final dungeon in a big RPG, and making an entire game focused around that. A short story which starts from the climax of a larger tale."

That sounds awesome.

- The gameplay is a mix of text adventure and dungeon exploration. There will be set locations around the Palace of Rahab which will initiate event scenes or battles when explored. The event scenes are presented like a text adventure, and there will also be choices the player can make along the way. There will also be multiple endings. After finishing the game once, some choices which were not previously available will become available when the game is played again.

- The battle system is a menu based combat system where players pick from commands to execute. Sometimes, when executing a certain command in battle, you will be required to roll a set of die to determine your success. Matsuno says that initially he wanted to make every single command dice driven to simulate the feel of a table top RPG, but that created pacing problems in the game was wasn't very fun. Since then he has toned down the frequency of the dice roll requirements, and balanced it out.

- The game is not expected to be very long, but rather replayable. As for the feel of the game itself, Matsuno says that the game can be compared to taking out all the climatic events and the final dungeon in a big RPG, and making an entire game focused around that. A short story which starts from the climax of a larger tale.

I'm ok with pretty much all of this. This sounds a lot better than what I had expected months ago.

duckroll

What platform is this for? This sounds amazing.

It is part of an omnibus game collection called Guild01 on the 3DS. It'll be out in Japan in May, and it consists of 4 games from different creators. Suda51 is making an anime style 3D top down shooter, Matsuno is making a RPG, Yoot Saito is making an airport sim, and some Japanese comedian is making a weapon shop sim.

http://www.guild01.jp

This is Crimson Shroud: http://www.guild01.jp/crimsonshroud/index.html

Bruno MB

It sounds (as I expected) great. As a Matsuno fan I was eagerly waiting for more news about its new project, I wish him the best of lucks.

Thank you very much for the info :)

botty

Banned
The Suda51 game is with the sci-fi anime chick, right? And we now have info on this game... but have we seen or know anything about the airport sim?

I haven't been following this game too hard.

Sounds kind of like Unlimited Saga with the text and dungeon exploration...

Or maybe I just want it to sound like US since I was one of the four people who actually enjoyed that game :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sounds like what I was expecting Phantasy Star Adventure to be - a J-ADV game with slight dungeon exploration and RPG trappings. Story seems (thankfully) less political than the usual Matsuno fare, and the style of game tickles my fancy. I hope it comes to the US.

luca1980

Banned
The event scenes are presented like a text adventure, 1

Matsuno says that the game can be compared to taking out all the climatic events and the final dungeon in a big RPG, and making an entità game focused around that. A short story which starts from the climax of a larger tale. 2
1 sigh

2 hype +1000%

Man i want Matsuno godsend on 3ds!!
My only complaint is the zero cutscenes!

duckroll

1 sigh

2 hype +1000%

Man i want Matsuno godsend on 3ds!!
My only complaint is the zero cutscenes!

I don't think it's particularly bad:

img_game06.jpg

I'll take that over a badly directed cutscene which tries too hard to be cinematic. If this were a full retail RPG with a proper team creating quality cutscenes like Vagrant Story, of course it would be better. But given that it is a small scale project, text-based events give RPG fans the biggest bang for the buck.

Yuterald

Has it been confirmed anywhere if Sakimoto is doing the music for this little Matsuno game? I couldn't imagine anyone else doing the soundtrack.

luca1980

Banned
But given that it is a small scale project, text-based events give RPG fans the biggest bang for the buck.
Indeed, it's ok considering the budget: still nostalgia makes me prefer small cutscenes like the ones in tactics ogre and fft (normal sprite characters and fixed camera)...
Anyway these are just personal thoughts, the only think that it'll matter is an hands on.
Story bits are already intriguing!

Vinci

Danish
I like that Matsuno's doing a small project like this. It allows him to stretch himself in various ways without having the burden of a vast machine on his shoulders. I approve.

Truth101

Banned
When I joined Level5, I had originally been planning for a different, more lighthearted type of game... When it was decided I would be part of Guild01, I actually asked Mr Hino, "Can I just do a puzzle game for this project?" His answer was a clear and simple rejection: "That would not be a Matsuno game."(laughs)

Thank you Hino. ::bows::

Chasers.
Risk Breakers.
Matsuno has a thing for oddly named professions or something.
Also that last part of the interview kinda got to me. Matsuno is tired of the Matsuno feel. I'd actually like to see him do something different.
A light hearted adventure?

NichM

Banned

If his light hearted adventure would be qualitatively different from the dozens of light hearted adventures made every year, sure. If not, I'm okay with forcing Matsuno to be Matsuno on the rationale that even if he's retreating old ground for him, it's still fresh in the context of the industry.

duckroll

If his light hearted adventure would be qualitatively different from the dozens of light hearted adventures made every year, sure. If not, I'm okay with forcing Matsuno to be Matsuno on the rationale that even if he's retreating old ground for him, it's still fresh in the context of the industry.

Yeah I don't see a distinct problem with Matsuno trying something different as long as it is something he is actually interested in, and not something he is trying out of a sense of insecurity that no one is interested in what he is good at anymore. It's all about motivation. If a talented creator wants to try something that isn't what he usually does, it could still be cool.

Chasers.
Risk Breakers.
Matsuno has a thing for oddly named professions or something.
Also that last part of the interview kinda got to me. Matsuno is tired of the Matsuno feel. I'd actually like to see him do something different.

What we need is more Madworld Matsuno.

monome

Matsuno.

I really wish he gets happy with Crimson Shroud and goes on a bigger production.
I would spoil my trunks if he gets to build a new IP for LEVEL5, PlatinumGames or Nintendo (one can dream), he's from the rare breed of people who can go crazy but actually lend on their feet, although it seems it has taken a toll on him.

"However, although it is a "short story," that does not mean the content is thin, I would like to think of it more as something concentrated, like an espresso coffee. I hope the players will appreciate the richness delivered in a deceptively simple package."

Yep, Matsuno is awesome

Top Bottom