• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should MS Moneyhat Virtua Fighter 6?

Havoc2049

Microsoft already killed two sega franchises by releasing sequels on xbox consoles: Jet Set Radio and Panzer Dragoon (and Shenmue didn't sell a lot on that machine too)

Xbox is for dumb people with bad taste

Microsoft published Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Shenmue II (Xbox version). It's not like the previous games in those franchises were retail hits before coming to the Xbox. If anything, Microsoft kept those franchises alive longer. Jet Set Radio Future sold better than Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon Orta sold better than Panzer Dragoon Saga and the Xbox version of Shenmue II sold better than the Dreamcast version.

If you include the pack-in sales, Jet Set Radio Future and Sega GT 2002 were both million+ sellers on the Xbox. If anything, Sega should have capitalized on the renewed exposure that some of their franchises received on the Xbox and released sequels on both the X360 and PS3.

Microsoft already killed two sega franchises by releasing sequels on xbox consoles: Jet Set Radio and Panzer Dragoon (and Shenmue didn't sell a lot on that machine too)

Xbox is for dumb people with bad taste

Lol WTF is going on in GAF these days? Prior to the mass exodus, Juniors would've been banned about 5 minutes after spouting this kind of console warrior nonsense.

FZW

Doesn't seem like a good move to me, the Xbox just doesn't have a presence in the places it would need to for this to be worth anything to Microsoft.

If has to be done then it really needs to be one of the other two console manufacturers.
The point of doing this would be to increase ms presence in those places. How does that not make sense to you? I thought this would be obvious.

lol no and i hate you for making me wish for VF6, you bastid

You're welcome. People are forgetting one thing. This man Harada is the King of Console fighting games. If not Harada then who?

IMG_8982RS_81974_screen.jpg

vs

SDC10236.jpg

Havoc2049

What Microsoft should do is moneyhat a North American and European release of Phantasy Star Online 2 to the PC and Xbox One, with cross-play.

xviper

any 3rd party game becomes exclusive to Microsoft platforms will have a Very high risk of failure, even if the game is amazing like Titanfall 1, i like how a lot of people who "played" Titanfall 1 and said it's flop but when Titanfall 2 came out on all consoles, it's MP is suddenly considered amazing and underrated even though most people who REALLY played Titanfall 1 agree that Titanfall 2 MP is a huge step back and a big disappointment compared to the original

Microsoft has lost this generation by a big gap, there is nothing they can do to get back on the competition in the current generation

however, next generation may be different, even though i highly doubt there will be a next generation of Xbox

Microsoft has Killer Instinct... they don't need to money hat VF6... what should happen is Sega should take some of that Sonic money and have am2 bring Virtua Fighter into the e-sports world... hell... i'd take a F2P version where i get thrown a million costumes a day just to be able to see this game come to fruition.

Since VF's inception it's never missed a generation... I hope that's not the case for this one.

I hope you're right and Sega doesn't allow Virtua Fighter to miss a console generation. But I don't think it's a bad idea for MS to have multiple exclusive fighters on their resume. The X-box need to be at EVO too.

I don't think I need to jump on board and further prove the XBOX is not the console for Virtua Fighter to reach it's true audience on... but I do believe there is a place for it in the market. Although it would most likely be on PlayStation.

I don't think I need to jump on board and further prove the XBOX is not the console for Virtua Fighter to reach it's true audience on... but I do believe there is a place for it in the market. Although it would most likely be on PlayStation.

Japan might be where Virtua Fighter's true audience is, but most copies of the last two installments of Virtua Fighter were sold in the US. Yes the world best players are in Japan, but the bigger audience has always been in the United States.

Japan might be where Virtua Fighter true audience is, but most copies of the last two installments of Virtua Fighter were sold in the US. Yes the world best players are in Japan but the bigger audience has always been in the United States.

Oh in terms of geography, then yeah, sure. In terms of console, I believe Final Showdown sold quite poorly on 360. I tried VF5 on PS3 when I got it for Christmas in 2008 and I also got Final Showdown but barely anyone played it, the online community, at least in my experience, was dead.

I'd love to see a huge reboot on PS4/PC with a big advertising blow out from Sony. That would be great.

yurinka

MS should invest in their own IPs and to acquire new AAA 1st party studios.

Virtua Fighter was only big in Japan, and Xbox is basically dead there so it wouldn't make sense.

Tricky Eileen

Neo Member
If they made a VF6 I don't care what console it's on, I'll play it. Many of the hardcore VF5FS players still use their xbox360 for that one game alone. There is a large VF base already on the xbox and a decent amount of those players made the jump to xbone too. Granted, on PS4 they'd have the Street Fighter V install base but those players don't tend to jump ship. If MS supports VF6 like they are KI, then VF can make a comeback.

Just make the damn game already sega.

A combo of what others have said. Those who would care, aren’t their audience. Can’t see it being a wise investment for either brand.

JP

The point of doing this would be to increase ms presence in those places. How does that not make sense to you? I thought this would be obvious.
It doesn't make sense to me in what I would assume to be the same ways that it doesn't make sense to the majority of people who have said something similar in this thread.

Lets be accurate, this not being a good idea for Microsoft to do this is clearly the overriding feeling for the vast majority of people who have posted in this thread which means I'm unsure why it should make more sense to me than it does to the many other people who also believe it would be a mistake to do?

tsab

Tekken Producer Katsuhiro Harada has expressed interest in directing Virtua Fighter 6 in an interview witth Hip Hop Gamer. A sure fire way for Microsoft to make a big splash at E3 2018 or 19 is to show us the real graphical power of a true 4K Virtua Fighter. I remember the days when Virtua fighter was the graphical standard bearer. I 'd like to see a story mode that tries to create or recap the stories from the game. It would be nice to see one of those snazy CG intros and those endings that Tekken is known for.

I 'd love to see what Harada could do with the series that birthed 3d fighters.

Harada needs to make Tekken X Street Fighter first

yurinka

Where are the numbers to support this claim?
I don't have them here because they are super old. But these games were really popular in Japanese arcades, they were everywhere and had good console sales when looking at the Famitsu charts of that age.

But considering they killed the IP and stopped making new Virtua Fighter games, worldwide sales should be pretty low, because that's the main reason of why you kill a brand.

If they revive Virtua Fighter it should be multiplatform: I don't want to see more Sega IPs being killed after going MS exclusive. They should consider that MS is now weaker than ever in Japan.
Harada needs to make Tekken X Street Fighter first
Yes, please

If they revive Virtua Fighter it should be multiplatform: I don't want to see more Sega IPs being killed after going MS exclusive. They should consider that MS is now weaker than ever in Japan.

Yes, please

That shows so little faith in Harada who has sold 46 million copies of the Tekken franchise, That's three million less than Metal Gear solid lifetime sales. When a high profile director wants to make a game the correct answer is always yes.

DiscoJer

I was talking to a co-worker (he's 19) about fighting games the other day and mentioned that I was a Virtua Fighter fan.

He had not heard of the series. I explained it was from Sega.

Then he was like "Wait, is that the one where you can fight as a car?"

Which I then explained that was Fighters Megamix

But honestly, I don't think it has much name recognition anymore

Heath V

Lol WTF is going on in GAF these days? Prior to the mass exodus, Juniors would've been banned about 5 minutes after spouting this kind of console warrior nonsense.

Thank you!! That was an absolutely ridiculous statement by him! I guess I have bad taste because I love my Xbox! I also love my PlayStation 4 and Switch but some of these comments are absolutely ridiculous.

I was talking to a co-worker (he's 19) about fighting games the other day and mentioned that I was a Virtua Fighter fan.

This.

I've owned and loved every installment of VF (and would naturally love another) but right now I don't see any appeal it would have for newcomers given that all the fighters are just so "normal".

That shows so little faith in Harada who has sold 46 million copies of the Tekken franchise, That's three million less than Metal Gear solid lifetime sales. When a high profile director wants to make a game the correct answer is always yes.

The same Harada who is butchering that series? I dipped on Tekken 6, sold it days later. Tried TTT2 and T7, really don't like modern Tekken.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Almost every series MS has moneyhatted is either dead or damaged, they're like the kiss of death.
even Exclusives that went Multiplatform have had a bumpy ride or never returned afterwards.
No thank you.

Suzuki Yu

regarding the topic why would i need Harada to work on my Virtua Fighter? i am not asking for a tekken skinned as virtua!
also AM2 is still exist and strong as ever (the most talented team within the arcade industry since 1985)

Are those guys still around anyway ? I don't remember them releasing anything meaningful in the last 10 years.

What is AM2 doing these days? Is it still a thing?

these are their major/currently running series with frequent updates (aside from the smaller projects/medal type of games)
cz5Kowf.jpg

DArxXWp.jpg

pYUXODk.jpg

and this is their next major project which is about to hit the arcade in Japan
jBw16c6.jpg

SQb31FP.jpg

and they are already teasing what looks like a complete new project for BORDER BREAK
http://borderbreak.com/newproject/

RootCause

No no no! They should spend the money on reviving Jade Empire 2. Seriously, I need my martial arts action/rpg game. Come on Phil! Do do it! :)

NahaNago

You know what after finding out that it has been 10 years since virtua fighter 5, I'd say go ahead. It's been long enough without Sega making one and i don't see them making one anytime soon.

The same Harada who is butchering that series? I dipped on Tekken 6, sold it days later. Tried TTT2 and T7, really don't like modern Tekken.

I don't know what your problem is with Tekken 7. The game is super polished in all aspects. I suspect the sales numbers will reflect that in two years time. I wouldn't be against NetherRealm taking a shot a 2.5 D reboot of Virtua Fighter.

I don't know what your problem is with Tekken 7. The game is super polished in all aspects. I suspect the sales numbers will reflect that in two years time. I wouldn't be against NetherRealm taking a shot a 2.5 D reboot of Virtua Fighter.

I've followed Tekken since the very first game and seen all the highs and lows, but Tekken 7 is just terrible. The new characters are getting worse with each title, even when I thought the new additions in 6 were really bad. Only Miguel really stood out to me as being a character that really felt worthy of Tekken. The game just feels like anime fan services these days and is a transformation system away from becoming a Dragon Ball Z clone.

Story was great for a time, individual character stories were also great and then after Tekken 5:DR the whole series just seemed to turn into some kind of pop culture thing. Jim Sterling perfectly voiced my thoughts on modern fighting games and the whole pop-up juggle scenario that's killing competitive fighting for people like myself who enjoy a healthy amount of play time to get a reasonable level of skill but when it comes to playing online, you always end up playing the kind of folk who's skill levels verge on the level of bullshit and it makes me completely put off the multiplayer mode. There is virtually no balancing there.

The tier system just keeps getting more and more bullshit. Hworang is pure bullshit in terms of his skill and usability. I haven't beaten a single Hworang player yet and I really gave it a good go.

Honestly, I bought Tekken Blood Vengence with the HD version of Tekken Tag Tournament and it dawned on my then with Tekken 6 that this franchise is never going to be the same again.

Only a Mishima will win the tournament, nobody will ever be more powerful. In story context, Jin, Heihachi and Kazuya are the most powerful with every other character minus Paul in T1 and T3 being classed as cannon-fodder. New characters have been shite and poorly thought out since Tekken 6. The music is more of an annoyance than a part of the design of the game and the ending sequences were just fucking stupid. That scene between Leo and Yoshimitsu was just stupid.

I can't play Tekken anymore. Harada would do old time players a big favour and fuck off for a while and let someone else bring some life back into Tekken.

Resident Evil 7 brought me back to Resident Evil, even if it did ditch the tension and horror for action after the boat sequence. But the old franchises seem to think the market is completely different between each iteration and have to make drastic changes. I'm quite happy with games like Yakuza that are more of the same with innovative and minor changes that really help build on the franchise. I can play Yakuza until the cows come home.

And Kazuma Kiryu would have been my only reason to play Tekken 7 if he made a guest character.

EDIT: Also, Rage system. Should not be in Tekken.

Schnauzer

Economically it would flop as a Microsoft exclusive. On the other hand, I would easily buy an Xbox One X for the game alone of it's the graphic showcase the game has always been...

I ended up returning my Xbox One as I couldn't justify the value.

Then again if it's also on PC which would be superior for my home experience, it wouldn't do a thing....

I'd rather nothing, but if it had to be something I'd rather a new Fighters Megamix if was Sega x MS and they were willing to make it a little goofy like old Marvel vs Capcom.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
You're welcome. People are forgetting one thing. This man Harada is the King of Console fighting games. If not Harada then who?

Because of Tekken? No thank you.

Yu Suzuki started the 3D fighter genre, and he will forever be the king of it.

If Harada is to do it, then I hope he will respect the fundamentals of the game. And don't waste resources on stupid "jack of all trades, master of none" and commonly seen "story mode". Instead make the core game as refined as possible. Part of the magic of Virtua Fighter is hinting at the possible story, without wallowing in it.

Because of Tekken? No thank you.

Yu Suzuki started the 3D fighter genre, and he will forever be the king of it.

If Harada is to do it, then I hope he will respect the fundamentals of the game. And don't waste resources on stupid "jack of all trades, master of none" and commonly seen "story mode". Instead make the core game as refined as possible. Part of the magic of Virtua Fighter is hinting at the possible story, without wallowing in it.

The characters are so lacking in clear motivation and personality, the obvious reason the game lacks in popularity when compared to its peers. I couldn't be more on the polar opposite of your statement above.

Moneyhatting is bottom-of-the-barrel, trash-tier levels of acquiring content for your console platform. If a developer and/or publishers is interested in creating a game and your platform is a contender, the userbase and technical specifications should stand on its own without the need for added monetary incentive. The console manufacturers that participate in this practice and the fanbase that advocate for it strike me as pathetic.

So, no, Microsoft (nor anyone else) should moneyhat Virtua Fighter or any other series that does not require said funds to be created.

Mooreberg

It's what happens when a brand (or in some cases, an entire subgenre) goes dormant for a decade. Look at "arena shooters" - UT3 came out not long after VF5's Xbox 360 release, got squashed by the torrent of other 2007 shooters, and ten years later nobody is really building a player base for that sort of shooter.

It would never happen in a logical fashion, but I think a F2P Virtua Fighter where cosmetics you don't want to earn through a Quest Mode are paid for. Straight up transactions with transparent values, not loot boxes. But this a company that sold costumes in VF5 Final Showdown that apparently could not be seen by opponents who had not made the same purchase because... uh... Sega?

danmaku

The characters are so lacking in clear motivation and personality, the obvious reason the game lacks in popularity when compared to its peers. I couldn't be more on the polar opposite of your statement above.

I agree 100%. VF has lots of problems in today's market, and a big one is the characters and story. The characters are super plain and boring, they could be more generic only if they were called "ninja guy" and "karate guy". The story is barely there. Even if you want to sell it as a purely competitive game, you still need interesting characters, at least visually, and some kind of backstory.

Sure, it's not important for gameplay, but it's what makes people want to play your game. Nobody starts playing a game thinking "I'm going to put 500 hours into this and become a champion!". They all start for other reasons and some of them become champions.

This portable fighting game went completely unnoticed by me. Concept art and renders are better than most fighting games on the market. Gameloft should bring this title to consoles as a traditional fighter. The establishment has grown stale. Give these guys a budget.

attachment.php

attachment.php

gallery_53632_2169_336507.jpg

DilWSTS

VF is dead. Fighting games in general don't have a great stigma to them atm so if they are going to moneyhat something, do something popular.

Top Bottom