• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us : Listen Mode, Melee Prompts and Tag Pop Ups can be turned off

Pranay

8uA3OWY.gif

Big news since this was what most gaf members wanted

What is Listen Mode?

If you stay still you can "hear" people and infected moving around via sillhouettes through walls and such. Only if they are moving though, like active sonar in MGS3.

I would use it for normal playthrough but turn it off for Hard. In the demo it was useful in some situations but could be a problem if you become too dependent on it.

Hanmik

If you stay still you can "hear" people and infected moving around via sillhouettes through walls and such. Only if they are moving though, like active sonar in MGS3.

I would use it for normal playthrough but turn it off for Hard. In the demo it was useful in some situations but could be a problem if you become too dependent on it.

and that is wrong...

you just press R2, and Joel crouches and the world goes into black and white, and you can see the silhouettes of alle the enemies that are within the range of the Listen-mode. You can even move around (crouched and a bit slow)

and that is wrong...

you just press R2, and Joel crouches and the world goes into black and white, and you can see the silhouettes of alle the enemies that are within the range of the Listen-mode. You can even move around (crouched and a bit slow)

Yeah, you can move slowly. But it's not an all around wallhack like some people claim. It's useful at times but not game breaking.

Cade

"Violence?" I mean, I'm all for settings to disable gratuitous gore if you want it, but the whole subject matter and even enemy designs are pretty messed up. What's that setting do exactly Arken? :p

Good! I knew this was coming (I swear they've already said Listen Mode would be 100% optional), but glad to see it in a screenshot confirmed. Love that.

Thank god for the optional listen mode, when I played the demo and watched others. I got yelled at for not using it while everyone else did. This isn't Perfect Dark yo.

AHA-Lambda

Good news but still the game may be designed around it and we could end up with Hitman Absolution where turning off instinct mode didn't make things any better.

stryke

Where's my credit bitch, and more deservedly for AKyemeni who found the videos. (Yeah I'm being salty :p ).

It's great that ND can give us these options.

Andrew.

Banned
Too bad there's no option to turn off the Uncharted-esque bullet spongey same old gunplay that I'm hearing about.

Andrew.

Banned
One of the dudes in the preview thread stated that the enemies tend to soak up the bullets Uncharted style. Granted, it could be false info but I was under the impression it would only take a couple good shots to bring at least a human enemy down.

sunnz

Great news, was annoying to see it in but not really gonna affect my purchase ( would affect my experience) so knowing it can be turned off is fantastic.

Gbraga

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS

Thank you ND!

I think I'll keep the melee prompts at least for my first playthrough, but hints, listen mode, popups and lock-on? All gone.

Good. Listen mode can fuck right off.

My first play through will be:

Difficulty - Hardest one I can select
Subtitles - off
Game hint - off
Strategic tips - off
Tutorial hints - off
Violence - on
Lock on aiming - off
Listen mode - off
melee prompt - off
show tag pop ups - off

I expect this to be the game I die the most since playing Demon's Souls.

Andrew.

Banned
ROFL are you serious... There is always one.

Im not 100% serious and something like that wouldnt deter me completely from the experience, but if it's in there it would be slightly disappointing. The only foootage Ive seen was that e3 demo and from there it looked like dudes could be put down with one or two well placed shots, which is what it should be.

Turn off the unlimited ammo section in the demo, and all/any other unlimited ammo 'set-pieces' in the game thereafter. Can't understand why you are ammo limited during the game but during that set-piece you aren't.

Breaks tension and immersion, see.

Im not 100% serious and something like that wouldnt deter me completely from the experience, but if it's in there it would be slightly disappointing. The only foootage Ive seen was that e3 demo and from there it looked like dudes could be put down with one or two well placed shots, which is what it should be.

For someone nick picking gun combat, you sure loved Bioshock Infinite's arena shooter.

One of the dudes in the preview thread stated that the enemies tend to soak up the bullets Uncharted style. Granted, it could be false info but I was under the impression it would only take a couple good shots to bring at least a human enemy down.
The zombies soak up bullets, the humans get demolished

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
"Violence?" I mean, I'm all for settings to disable gratuitous gore if you want it, but the whole subject matter and even enemy designs are pretty messed up. What's that setting do exactly Arken? :p

as a dad, even though my daughter is almost a teen, I WISH I would have had these violence/profanity options more prevalent when she was younger. It basically meant a ton of games I simply couldn't play while she was awake/around.

violence/language options aren't to curtail the violent video games condemning.. there so that people with kids can actually feel comfortable about playing these games while their kids are in the room or around.

Kinyou

Hm, seems like there is a lot of stuff that wasn't shown during the first gameplay demo. Maybe I shouldn't have gone for a media blackout.

Well at least you can turn it off.

StuBurns

Banned
as a dad, even though my daughter is almost a teen, I WISH I would have had these violence/profanity options more prevalent when she was younger. It basically meant a ton of games I simply couldn't play while she was awake/around.

violence/language options aren't to curtail the violent video games condemning.. there so that people with kids can actually feel comfortable about playing these games while their kids are in the room or around.
But you're still virtually murdering people. Isn't it the act of murder which they shouldn't see, not the little spats of blood?

Top Bottom