• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One DVR records gameplay every time an achievement is unlocked

In a interview conducted with Xbox Australia product manager Adam Pollington via YouTuber ChampChong at EB Games Expo, it was revealed that, in addition to recording around five minutes of game footage, the Xbox One’s DVR will seamlessly record any achievement that you unlock. This, of course, is in addition to the 5 minutes of gameplay footage you can record at will.

Adam also mentioned that it’s possible for developers to use the Kinect camera to record a live reaction feed of the player at the time of an achievement unlock. These are just some of the many exciting social features Microsoft is looking to offer for its upcoming next-gen console.

Link to interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9CNbpFdQvw
http://gearnuke.com/xbox-one-dvr-records-gameplay-every-time-an-achievement-is-unlocked/

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have to admit I don't understand. Does it mean record and save? Wouldn't it be recording the achievement anyway by virtue of the fact it is always recording the last 5 minutes of gameplay?

Thats pretty cool, can help people with obscure/difficult achievements and general can be cool for the player to see.

I hope MS have done something about games where getting an achievement causes the game to lock up for a second playing a title recently and I can tell when I'm about to get an achievement because it locks up just beforehand.

Adam also mentioned that it’s possible for developers to use the Kinect camera to record a live reaction feed of the player at the time of an achievement unlock

?

How do most people act when they get an achievement? Is it normal for people to get excited or really happy or something?

Carl

It'll be pretty cool for achievements that require you to do something that looks cool. Be pretty boring for story related ones though - you'd just have a clip of you standing still for 5 seconds whilst a cheev pops up

ascii42

I have to admit I don't understand. Does it mean record and save? Wouldn't it be recording the achievement anyway by virtue of the fact it is always recording the last 5 minutes of gameplay?

Yeah, I'm figuring that means it saves it, or at least makes it searchable in some way. So instead of going through 5 minutes of video, you can just search for the achievement.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Yeah.

It sounds like for convenience it'll save x number of seconds of footage around an achievement from the buffer it's constantly recording anyway.

Thats pretty cool, can help people with obscure/difficult achievements and general can be cool for the player to see.

I hope MS have done something about games where getting an achievement causes the game to lock up for a second playing a title recently and I can tell when I'm about to get an achievement because it locks up just beforehand.

I think that's part of the benefit of the two virtualized OSes. One shouldnt affect the other

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how many achievements do Xbox games normally have? multiply by 5 minutes and that's going to take a chunk of HDD space

gruenel

Yeah, I don't really understand it either.

Edit: There was stupid shit here, I thought it recorded the player.

JaggedSac

This removes the need to go to the Upload Studio and manually save off the section.

Well TBH most gamers' expressions on earning an achievement/trophy is normal, only their eyes move to the part of the screen where achievement/trophy is displayed.

Even after I get a platinum, my reaction stays pretty normal.

And what about the weirdest reaction captures of all? Someone scratching their jewels and *click*record*

Bsigg12

how many achievements do Xbox games normally have? multiply by 5 minutes and that's going to take a chunk of HDD space

I'm pretty sure it only saves the 30 second clip of it leading up to and actually getting the achievement.

Me neither. Probably means that it saves the recording when you get the achievement.

too bad most of these clips would just be of the tail ends of cutscenes, since devs are lazy as shit when it comes to achievements

interesting idea, though

This is simply the process of the system in place. It will record the last X amount of gameplay.

This can be said the same for the PS4 it will do the same thing in theory

Yes, but it doesn't save all it records. It's constantly recording so you can go back and check something out, but with achievement unlocks it will save those moments into a separate part.

well that..seems pretty fucking pointless.

if i WAS excited about a trophy, before my therapy started i would just click save on the last recorded 5 minutes.
500gb HDD been taken up by trophys is all we need.

CTLance

Yeah, I don't really understand it either.

If they mean auto-save (& upload?), I just hope it is deactivated by default, otherwise MS's next PR disaster is just around the corner ("unsuspecting dude playing naked on couch filmed by Xbox One & uploaded to cloud after he unlocked an achievement" :p).
He may just burst into treats.

Seriously though, I bet they just dump a part of the five minute ring buffer to HDD. I seriously hope this won't affect the game, achievements/trophies nowadays sometimes cause small skips and fps drops, and all they do is load a small image and play a sound.

Kinect... Well, everybody willingly installing the camera and accepting the probable deluge of disclaimers, warnings and EULAs but STILL sitting nekkid in front of it will deserve being broadcast to the world, flaccid genitals and all.

Copenap

That actually sounds like a fun feature though regarding the recording of the reaction, I don't think I ever gave a fuck about getting an achievement.

Mokubba

I normally never have reactions when I get a trophy.

Sound Shapes death mode was the only set of trophies that got a reaction out of me.

They should also take a picture when someone logs on and the achievement sounds comes on. Just to see the face of disappointment when the dream is crushed.

codhand

fist-pump-baby.jpeg

it'll be a lot of footage of me doing this over and over

Adam also mentioned that it’s possible for developers to use the Kinect camera to record a live reaction feed of the player at the time of an achievement unlock.

I predict this will not be a feature on any of the launch titles. This sounds optional, and I doubt many devs are going to spend the time to do this, especially at launch. Plus, WTF, who wants to watch someones reaction to unlocking an achievement? What type of reactions are there to record? Do people really jump, dance, sing, spin, and go crazy for achievements? I do not think I have ever even smiled when I unlocked a trophy/achievement.

Top Bottom