• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UTIII: Epic didn't steal user created map, unbans user from forum, GAF wipes off egg.

This happened Today, and I'm still shocked by it.

I'm sure many of you already seen the new UT3 360 trailer, but what most of you don't know is that one of the maps shown there ( DM-ArcticShipment ) is actually a user created map done by a member that goes by EpicJon on the Epic Forums.

The map, while not being exactly the same, is a blatant rip off, it's a cargo boat, in the middle of the Artic ocean, with snow falling and with icebergs on the background. When EpicJon posted about his discontent in the Epic Forums he got banned and his thread deleted.

You guys can see the map in action in this trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32978.html

And here is a shot of the user created one:
2a65ged.jpg

And the thread for the map on Epic Forums:
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=605011&page=10

I wonder if this is what Epic means by getting MODs on the 360 version, stealing them from users and putting them on XBL without any notification. While they're most likely allowed to do that legally it's a very low blow for the modding community.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I love UT but their rampant stupidity as of late calls in to question me spending anymore money at all on them. I'm just fine going back to hoarding valve products and infinity ward is on a roll so I'm all set for what this company does besides I play ut99 more than anything they brung out in years.

Kittonwy

Banned
theBishop said:
That is terrible if true. Maybe modders should post their work on a server not controlled by Epic...

Maybe modders should just abandon UT and move onto other games if that's how they'll get treated.

Justin

Not sure it is a rip-off yet. We only see one little corner of the map for 2 seconds in that video. Wasn't there a boat level in the first UT or UT99?

Minsc

Gold Member
This is basically how mods work on the PC, so I'd doubt it'd be any different on a console.

Anything you make for any game is owned by the people who own the game. It doesn't matter if they took his very exact same mod and sold it for $9.99 and make $10M from it. That's about how it works when it comes down to it.

You do not own or have the rights to anything you mod for any game, all rights are given up in the EULA.

So I'm hardly surprised. They probably banned him because he was being a jerk about it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Minsc said:
So I'm hardly surprised. They probably banned him because he was being a jerk about it.

Here's his post right before he got banned:

ok this is bull, they stole my arctic shipment map idea, the exact same thing - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33033.html

look at the map wit the crane and the crates, its snowing and there icebergs and everything from like my map. Thats retarded, is Epic really going that low to steal others work? I can't believe this...

Not really all that bad a post if you ask me.

nestea

I've had it with Epic's shit. They continue and continue to talk shit, but this just about does it for me. Fuck em.

For some reason, EpicJon sounds like an Epic employee, who may have hijacked the map and called it his own. Just a thought...

Also, this reminds me of the Halo RTS mod, which got shut down.

Well how similar are the maps actually? Is it just a similar theme or they similar in layout and gameplay. It's not like Epic has never set a map on a boat before, they did that back in the original UT.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
No wonder they like modders so much, they steal their ideas and then ban them.

Minsc

Gold Member
chubigans said:
Here's his post right before he got banned:

Not really all that bad a post if you ask me.

Epic can't exactly steal what they already own though... that's the problem. Look at his attitude, if he wants to vent, in my opinion he's stupid if he thinks Epic would allow it on their forums.

laserbeam

Banned
Minsc said:
This is basically how mods work on the PC, so I'd doubt it'd be any different on a console.

Anything you make for any game is owned by the people who own the game. It doesn't matter if they took his very exact same mod and sold it for $9.99 and make $10M from it. That's about how it works when it comes down to it.

You do not own or have the rights to anything you mod for any game, all rights are given up in the EULA.

Its not as clear cut as you say. There is a reason why other companies have BOUGHT Modders work. Theres a whole lot of grey area and public relation nightmares awaiting Epic.

MisterHero

Minsc said:

That's why I don't want to learn anything based on modding. Even if it's your work, it really isn't. :lol

mint

Banned
Wow. I can't believe a company, not some individual, but a freaking company would do a move like this.

Unless they banned him for some type of reason.

Dever

Banned
What the fuck... They could've at least asked him for permission. I'm sure he would have agreed to it anyways.

neight

Banned
Minsc said:

Red Orchestra started as a mod and the developers released it as a standalone game for profit.

It's a dick shit to do regardless and he should have at least gotten credit.

harSon

Banned
laserbeam said:
Its not as clear cut as you say. There is a reason why other companies have BOUGHT Modders work. Theres a whole lot of grey area and public relation nightmares awaiting Epic.

They don't buy the modders work, they purchase the talent behind the mod.

FrankT

Minsc said:

And that is the real world folks. Modders don't own jack.

Speevy said:
No matter what they put in the 360 version, NOTHING will be exclusive to the 360 version of this game.

WTB split-screen. WTB Gears 2 Beta. Make it happen Epic. Ball goes both ways Speevy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, there goes my last bought game from Epic. Unless Epic really does something to cover it up.

mint

Banned
Kandrick said:
Wow at people here defending EPIC :lol

Thats really poor behavior from EPIC.
Not defending a company. If you slapped Konami or even Sega on there, I would do the same.

Top Bottom