• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any character that's disliked here? I'm really not fond of Vega at all.

I'm actually really fond of Vega. I thought he was cool, even if he and Cortez occasionally annoyed me.

If there's a squadmate I don't like, it would probably be Ashley. Thought she was a little mean. I'm also not in love with Samara, but I don't hate her either.

long post

I agree with this nearly 100%.

As for the current discussion, if you're enough of an idiot to let things with Wrex escalate, then of course Ashley is justified in killing him. But god, to miss out on how great wrex is is truly a fate I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Edit: I dislike Jacob, Samara, and EDI as a squadmate far far more than I dislike Vega. Vega is fun in the group dynamic and relatively inoffensive.

Dennis

Banned
I am at work so I can't post the obligatory Virmire screenshots.

Somebody should, though.

They need to either return to exploration of lush alien planets OR alternatively, do something like a tightly focused C-Sec Investigations that really flesh out the Citadel.

i-Lo

We need more scenic places like Virmire:

ieL3NrwqRWuhr.gif

iDzpNis0sfUbP.gif

ibuVV9F9O6J7cu.gif

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I agree with Dennis - go with very detailed game invironment with focus on game mechanics, not cinematic bullshit or go full exploration with randomly generated landscapes and stuff. Let me play Zaeed and build my Blue Suns
you can make it turn-based tactical strategy while we at it but I'm sure a lot of people would be pissed

When is the next mass effect due for announcement?

Well the team said they're taking a lot of the core systems from DA3 and going from there in the next Mass Effect. They said they're not starting from scratch, so it shouldn't be that long of a wait actually.

Basically I'd say the VGAs at the earliest this year, maybe a quick teaser. If not, then definitely at E3 next year.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I want the new one to have that same sense of wonder like the first Mass Effect. The second and third games were amazing but never captured the atmosphere of the original.

Mononoke

Banned
While I personally loved ME2, I thought the story was kind of non-sense in the end. Hell, really the whole end plot of ME2 into the
Crucible
plot in ME3 was pretty awful stuff. In hindsight, I don't think Mass Effect ever had a good main story. Some of the best writing came from the side missions.

What do I want this time? Well, better writing for one. A plot that is actually thought out this time, and actually comes together. Jumping from 1 to 2 to 3, it's pretty obvious they were just making it up as they went along (which is fine, that's what most storytellers do. But they did a really poor job connecting everything together and making a coherent plot). The other thing I want is what others have already said, but more world. More exploration. Make the game more about world building, and not a single linear/action narrative. Then again, this is EA/New BioWare and I kind of doubt they will fall away from that. Which I'm okay with, as long as they give us more stuff on the side.

I don't have too much time for a lot of gaming these days but Mass Effect 1 & 2 were the only games this generation I managed to play through more than once. They were worth putting aside the time to play and I've always been a sucker for space operas. 3 was meh. I'm definitely looking forward to what comes next.

I agree with everyone saying they should think smaller. I'd want no overarching universe destroying threat and no childish messiah/chosen one/galactic savior protagonist. ME2 was the best of the series precisely because most of the game was character driven missions that had little to do with the Reapers or the Collectors. My perfect ME4 would play like a Morrowind in space . Next generation tech should allow them to include a space combat/exploration component without too much difficulty. Make it a space sandbox game set in that universe (preferably some time after ME3 with the galaxy still recovering) and I'm certain it will sell. Most of the 15m or so people that bought Skyrim didn't do it for the main quest.

Mononoke

Banned
I loved the Citadel in the latest ME3 DLC, i hope that if the Citadel is back in the next game, they go with that style.

I feel bad that I never played the DLC. Everyone raved about it. As a huge Mass Effect fan that played 1 and 2 like 6 times each (or something insane like that), I was just really let down by ME3 in many ways. So that once I beat it twice, I just stopped playing it. Gave up.

I don't have that motivation to go back and play the DLC, but everyone raves about how it's one of the best missions in the entire series. Bleh.

My hopes would be pretty standard honestly.

More aliens, more classes, more planets you can land on. Bring back planet exploration, no more probes. The Mako was slow, but you could improve the pacing, physics, and controls with a new lander. Populate the planets with more "dungeons", items, and overland enemies. It was all sorta RPG Blaster Master.

Improve the inventory and customization from 1 rather than ditch it completely. Characterwise, I have no problem with being able to sleep with anything on 2 legs. Just for god's sake, make some romance conversations that feel like they were written by someone with more personal experience than watching JAG reruns and soap operas in a basement for 20 years.

Labadal

Improve combat. I feel they did a feally good job with this. Combat got better with each game.

No linearity like in ME2 & ME3 but not a lot of empty planets like the first. Maybe have five planets with a city or two on each and give the player cool places to explore on those planets.

Improve the writing from ME2 & ME3.

Have good companion options.

Give the player the ability to customize his character as he wishes instead of classes.

I'd buy this type of game day one.

Is Mass Effect 4 still set out to be a prequel? Or will it continue after 3?

It was never said to be a prequel...

If by continue after 3 you mean continuing Shepard's story, then no. Shepard's trilogy arc is 100% done. They're creating something new in the ME universe.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think most people would like the style and atmosphere of ME1 but with many, not all, of the refinements of ME2/3 for ME4, with obvious improvements all around. Larger, more diverse environments, no distinction between combat and noncombat areas. More roleplaying and exploration all around with more interesting and useful non-combat approaches to situations.

2/3 were too choreographed. Everything was centered around you specifically, the whole Space Jesus thing got a bit too far, where as in ME1 it mostly just felt like you were there, a small part of a much greater happenings, stumbling along in a galaxy infinitely greater than yourself.

ME2/3 didn't have the sense of wonder and awe that ME1 had, and that wasn't just because they were sequels, it was the tone and direction they took them in. I loved them to death but they were different for sure. BioWare nearly wiped the slate clean with the ME3 ending, so there's a lot of freedom to really change things up for the next installment in the series. They can go back to the ME1 style of wonder and vastness that the world held if they choose to.

I really hope they don't just put the galaxy in a state like little happened in ME3 and everything's back to rainbows and sunshine. I hope they take the most dire of view of the Destruction ending and face the issues head on as to what would really happen if the entire galaxy was almost completely annihilated and the Mass Relay System, the heart and nervous system of their entire society was nearly destroyed.

What kind of discord would ensue, what unlikely alliances would form. How would things transpire if some areas maintained their Mass Relays while others were lost and cut off from the rest of the galaxy for decades. What would Turian worlds cut off from the rest of their society look like, or human colonies, or any of them. What would happen if new forms of travel were developed that allowed for travel without the MRS, what would we find in those vast areas of the galaxy never before available to us. What kind of worlds and societies would we discover. This is the kind of stuff BioWare should be thinking about now for ME4.

Easily my favorite series this gen, and in my top games of all time. I even liked ME3 the best. Also one of the only people I know who's preferred style was pure renegade. No one fucked with Miriya Shepard. I shot Wrex myself. That's what he gets for pointing a gun at her. I even played a ton of the multiplayer.

I hope they take their time with the next one though. I also really like Dragon Age so that will easily tide me over until then.

Miriya Shepard:

Toa TAK

Banned

If by continue after 3 you mean continuing Shepard's story, then no. Shepard's trilogy arc is 100% done. They're creating something new in the ME universe.

By continuing after 3 I mean exploring the universe with a new character after the events of the trilogy.

thumb

Banned

It's going to be hard to make a non-Shepard-like character if they want the new series to be as expansive as the last. Shepard's status as a spectre and military commander gave him/her significant access to the galaxy, both physically and politically.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I feel bad that I never played the DLC. Everyone raved about it. As a huge Mass Effect fan that played 1 and 2 like 6 times each (or something insane like that), I was just really let down by ME3 in many ways. So that once I beat it twice, I just stopped playing it. Gave up.

I don't have that motivation to go back and play the DLC, but everyone raves about how it's one of the best missions in the entire series. Bleh.

If you like Mass Effect that much(well, other than ME3), i dont see why you would skip that DLC. It was made for fans. There is none of that starchild or Reapers origin or non-stop combat action or planet scanning/pacman minigame that probably let you down in ME3. Its pure fanservice and you'll probably laugh a lot since it doesnt take itself seriously at all.

By continuing after 3 I mean exploring the universe with a new character after the events of the trilogy.

Certainly possible. They haven't said anything yet besides the story having nothing to do with Shepard this time. They said calling the next game 'Mass Effect 4' is doing it a "disservice", because it implies a certain linearity and continuity from the original trilogy, so it sounds like they want to move forward and away from the trilogy.

At the same time though, they also said they might take into account some choices you made in the trilogy, so it sounds like the next game could at least reference the original games in the some form.

My favorite new IP this gen. Still play ME1 regularly on 360(Installed to HDD and with motion blur and film grain turned off seems to improve performance). It should come as no surprise that I'd love to see more of the rally builds from 2006.

Shame EA had to buy Bioware. Not that the sequels were bad, but the change in publisher felt pretty noticeable.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Certainly possible. They haven't said anything yet besides the story having nothing to do with Shepard this time. They said calling the next game 'Mass Effect 4' is doing it a "disservice", because it implies a certain linearity and continuity from the original trilogy, so it sounds like they want to move forward and away from the trilogy.

At the same time though, they also said they might take into account some choices you made in the trilogy, so it sounds like the next game could at least reference the original games in the some form.

You play 100 years later, Shepard became a legend, we meet our old Asari and Krogan friends(Liara, Wrex, etc.) because these bastards are lucky enough to live for hundreds of years.

They have so many choices for their next game. No matter what they do, people are going to be either happy or mad.

Yep. Sound like a Mass Effect game.

You play 100 years later, Shepard became a legend, we meet our old Asari and Krogan friends(Liara, Wrex, etc.) because these bastards are lucky enough to live for hundreds of years.

They have so many choices for their next game. No matter what they do, people are going to be either happy or mad.

Yep. Sound like a Mass Effect game.

Wouldn't be a Mass Effect game without irrational meltdowns. :p

Vashetti

Banned
Everyone talks about Mordin in ME3, but Mordin died in the Suicide mission for me :(

I would have replayed it to save him, yikes

When Tali committed suicide in ME3 in that scene with Legion, my god, I was so gobsmacked.

I reloaded a save from five hours ago to get her back.

inky

I'll take the wankery of The Shepard if it means they've got a clean template to work with in telling a new story. New factions, new politics, new alliances, new characters, and new goals. And best of all no restrictions in what stories they can tell.

And are they going to do anything with that? Or every species will be a one dimensional affair, and just there for the new Shepard to bang more aliens?

I don't have any hopes for the future of this series other than general universe stuff (new locations, new engine, new species), but maybe setting the bar so low allows for something in there to surprise me. *shrugs*

Ushae

Banned
Hope its not a prequel title, it should be set in the future after the events of ME3. Hopefully they can pull it off.

StUnNeR H2K

Mass Effect was probably the first game that ever floored me that wasn't a game I really had much interest in. My sister-in-law bought the game as a gift for Christmas and said she had heard good things about it. Never have had a game surprise me as much as Mass Effect.

I'm also excited to see where things go now that Shepard's story is done. My biggest hope is that we get to choose a race to play with this time around. Was even thinking the other day as to how awesome it would be if the next game revolved around the surviving members of Shepard's squad, and when you started the game you were able to choose which one you would play as or be the primary group leader...

Also what leads me to believe we'll see a teaser at the VGAs is that they were already asking what we'd like to see in a teaser earlier last month. Usually it takes a good couple months to make sure a good teaser is properly made, I believe.

j5VSw2hVrSTxz.png

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I loved Mass Effect 1. LOVED. I actually got all the achievements for it (and wanted to), the only game I've done this for. Multiple play throughs with different characters and choices. Sure it had flaws.

- The Mako was often frustrating, but I did like going landing on the planets
- The planets you landed on were often completely barren with stupid mountains that the Mako couldn't traverse
- The copy and paste 3 dungeon templates for the side missions
- The inventory system was awful

But I loved the world, the story with Saren, the sense of exploration. The music was amazing and I loved the grainy filter on the visuals. The encounter with the VI on Ilos is my favourite moment of the whole series.

Mass Effect 2....was a disappointment. I enjoyed it but I don't love it the way I do the first Mass Effect. I only have two playthroughs on it.

- instead of fixing the controls on the Mako, they just took it out
- while the side missions were better, I missed the exploration and sense of scale of the first game. The scanning was awful
- While the recruitment missions and loyalty missions were great, I didn't care about most of the new squad members. Mordin and Legion were the only ones I truly cared about. The others I either didn't like or was completely indifferent to Oh, I also really liked EDI.
- Small thing, but I hated how they changed the guns to have clips. I liked the overheating mechanism in the first game

The overarching story was very weak. I never could believe that my Shepard (ANY of my Shepards) would work with Cerberus

The less said about Mass Effect 3, the better. While I liked some parts of it, the story was terrible. That stupid god child thing at the end and the 'choice' was infuriating. Oh, and the fact that I couldn't import my Shepard, the one that I had used in 1 & 2 in the the 3 game was a huge WTF.

I'm on wait and see about the next Mass Effect.

You didn't try to go back and make everyone live?
I can't speak for him, but I had someone die during the suicide mission and I didn't go back to change it. I feel like that kind of misses the point of the whole thing. I make my choices and stick by them.

I really want a return to the amazing soundtrack direction of Mass Effect 1 rather than what was in ME 2/3. Presidium forever *swoon*

My idea for a Mass Effect game is an entire game set in a massively open world Presidium, where you go on quests and such here, and dungeons are generally some 'trip' off to some planet, a number of preset destinations, but some dungeons exist on the Presidium itself too.

Basically in the game you'd exist as some sort of investigator in the Presidium covering some case, and obviously you'd have to search for clues and be social and use your prowess with language or violence to get past barriers, but eventually the mystery will tie into larger ones involving the ME universe.

I dunno it's much smaller in scale in some ways, but larger in scale in other ways. But I just think the series needs a new direction after it went off the rails in ME3, not necessarily in gameplay but in story focus (although I could use a heavy return to some of the more stat depth of ME1).

Sounds really good actually! Lol

Such an amazing series!

I really hope for the next game in the series, that it takes place far removed from the time of the trilogy: Creation of the Reapers, Prothean War, or thousands of years in the future.

I'll not sure if I'm more exited for the next game in the series, or Casey Hudson's new game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom