• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI (June 07) Review Scores

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm bored, might as well.

Raw Danger (PS2) - 4.5 (5.0 SO)
Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm (PS2) - 6.5 (6.5 SO)
Super Paper Mario (Wii) - 9.5 (9.5 SO) GOTM
Heatseeker (Wii) - 7.5 (7 SO)
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (Wii) 7.5 (7.25 SO)
Rayman: RR (360) - 7.25 (6.75 SO)
Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia (360) - 7.5 (7.25 SO)
C&C3: Tiberium Wars (360) - 8.5 (7.75 SO)
Infernal (PC) - 4 (5.5 SO)
Touch the Dead (DS) - 7 (6.25 SO)
Brooktown High (PSP) - 6.75 (6.5 SO)
Etrian Odyssey (DS) - 6 (5.75 SO) <---- GAF am cry =(
Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos (PSP) - 6 (5 SO)
Pokemon D&P (DS) - 8.25 (8.5 SO)
Zendoku (DS) - 6
Cube (PSP) - 5
Time Ace (DS) - 6.75
Death Jr. and the Science Fair of Doom (DS) - 7
Diner Dash (DS) - 7.25

There you go.

Rumors:

Halo 3 in Sept.
Riddick: Butcher Bay getting an updated port to the PS3/360
R6: Vegas on PS3 will include the Live map packs with the game.

And....not seeing any other rumors. There is an article called "The Big Questions" Includes "Has the PS3 already lost?" "Is PC gaming dead?" "Are Console Exclusives always bad for gamers?" "Can anyone make good Wii games other than Nintendo?" "Does raw power matter in the console war?" "Is Microsoft ripping you off?" "Did Wii online get a free pass?" "Is the PSP a failure?" "Will downloadable content replace retail?" Haven't read it yet though.

Sean

Banned
they scored Paper Mario right this time... though that's a little high IMO.

can you post the rumors please?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
You have the mag? So whast the new Square game

edit:

SWEET WHO WANTS TO GET THIS SPIRITUAL ZOMBIES ATE MY NIEGHBOR AND BE MY LIVE FRIEND AND PLAY IT WITH ME

Mrbob

Super Paper Mario is one of the most overrated games of the year so far.

1) The Story is horrible

2) The Wiimote functionality is a joke

3) The 2D/3D mechanic isn't implemented very well

4) The supporting cast outside of Mario is worthless

Anyway, just an observation. I really don't want to detour this thread into a flamefest over the game.

jvalioli

John Harker said:
You have the mag? So whast the new Square game

edit:

SWEET WHO WANTS TO GET THIS SPIRITUAL ZOMBIES ATE MY NIEGHBOR AND BE MY LIVE FRIEND AND PLAY IT WITH ME
There is already a thread on the SE game.

duckroll

Kintaro said:

Zendoku (DS) - 6
Time Ace (DS) - 6.75
Diner Dash (DS) - 7.25

Joke issue confirmed?

VALIS

Buh? OXM trashed it, if I remember. I had an eye on this, too, but then OXM, but now this... I'm so confused... so confused... ellipses...

Kintaro

Odrion said:

Are you seeing things? No Odin Sphere review in this issue. Anyone lower than a 10 for OS will be a crime punishable by death anyways. Yes, I'm judging it before I even tough it. =)

Thermite

a little late on the Halo 3 releasing in September rumor, but it's adding more fuel to the fire.

Pokemon's score is about right, it's not really over a 9 but not under an 8.5.

Odrion

Banned
Kintaro said:
Are you seeing things? No Odin Sphere review in this issue. Anyone lower than a 10 for OS will be a crime punishable by death anyways. Yes, I'm judging it before I even tough it. =)

Sssh.

Innotech

Banned
I think that score is justified for SPM. Its a great game. Im enjoying it quite a lot and I think the pointer function is well implemented. the wiimote not so much but its rarely used to even matter. Remember this started as a Gamecube game.

Innotech said:
I think that score is justified for SPM. Its a great game. Im enjoying it quite a lot and I think the pointer function is well implemented. the wiimote not so much but its rarely used to even matter. Remember this started as a Gamecube game.

then it should have been on the gamecube.

Yoboman

That's like the third Riddick HD rumour. Must be some basis to that one. Hopefully it gets an NGS like update. It doesn't really need it though, it still holds up well against next gen games

Kintaro

Because I love fellow RPG fans getting hot blooded, I'll write some notes from the EO review.

"Using the touch screen to draw and rotate your map is a fun and natural fit...but the game built around this function is clunky and unforgiving."

Didn't like fetch quests in same areas

Lack of story to keep player interest. "I had to give my party members names like "Fight" and "Heal" just so I could recognize who should do what in battle."

"I have nothing against games that hearken back to old-school sensibilities, but EO just feels like an outdated game that snuck onto a modern console."

From the SO: "My nostalgia fuled enthusiasm for EO was slowly whittled away by constantly repeating environments, Dragon Warrior inspired battle presentation, and complete lack of story." "...a boring level grind with little payoff."

EO DEFENSE FORCE - FINAL FUSION! APPROVED! PROGRAM DRIVE!

Sorry, has a GaoGaiGar marathon this weekend

Yoboman

Mrbob said:

1) The Story is horrible

2) The Wiimote funcionality is a joke

Anyway, just an observation. I really don't want to detour this thread into a flamefest over the game.
From under-rating Paper Mario 2 to overrating Super Paper Mario

Dali

Riddick: Butcher Bay getting an updated port to the PS3/360

I wonder if the source of this is the Riddick HD listing on the fake 360 release list that was circulating.

"Has the PS3 already lost?"
No
"Is PC gaming dead?"
No
"Are Console Exclusives always bad for gamers?"
No
"Can anyone make good Wii games other than Nintendo?"
Yes
"Does raw power matter in the console war?"
Hmmmm...
somewhat
"Is Microsoft ripping you off?"
Probably
"Did Wii online get a free pass?"
apparently
"Is the PSP a failure?"
Depends on what Sony's goal was.
"Will downloadable content replace retail?"
No

Innotech

Banned
DemonSwordsman said:
then it should have been on the gamecube.

no because the pointer functionality pretty much would make a Cube version cumbersome. You have to point the wiimote at the screen to uncover hidden things or reveal clues. On a Gamecube youd have to do that with analog and it would suck.

Socreges

Banned
Mrbob said:

1) The Story is horrible

2) The Wiimote functionality is a joke

After all these years, you remain such a huge douche. :lol

duckroll

Kintaro said:
Because I love fellow RPG fans getting hot blooded, I'll write some notes from the EO review.

"Using the touch screen to draw and rotate your map is a fun and natural fit...but the game built around this function is clunky and unforgiving."

Lack of story to keep player interest. "I had to give my party members names like "Fight" and "Heal" just so I could recognize who should do what in battle."

"I have nothing against games that hearken back to old-school sensibilities, but EO just feels like an outdated game that snuck onto a modern console."

From the SO: "My nostalgia fuled enthusiasm for EO was slowly whittled away by constantly repeating environments, Dragon Warrior inspired battle presentation, and complete lack of story." "...a boring level grind with little payoff."

I have...... no words. :(

Talka

Doesn't Game Informer normally err on the side of score inflation? I think this month's collective scores are unusually low for them. The average must be around a 6.75.

Evlar

Banned
He was really looking forward to an old-style dungeon grind fest but this game feels like Dragon Quest dammit!

Kintaro said:
I'm bored, might as well.

Raw Danger (PS2) - 4.5 (5.0 SO)
Super Paper Mario (Wii) - 9.5 (9.5 SO) GOTM
Heatseeker (Wii) - 7.5 (7 SO)
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (Wii) 7.5 (7.25 SO)
Rayman: RR (360) - 7.25 (6.75 SO)
C&C3: Tiberium Wars (360) - 8.5 (7.75 SO)
Infernal (PC) - 4 (5.5 SO)
Pokemon D&P (DS) - 8.25 (8.5 SO)
Zendoku (DS) - 6
Cube (PSP) - 5
Time Ace (DS) - 6.75
Diner Dash (DS) - 7.25

There you go.

Rumors:

Halo 3 in Sept.
Riddick: Butcher Bay getting an updated port to the PS3/360R6: Vegas on PS3 will include the Live map packs with the game.

And....not seeing any other rumors. There is an article called "The Big Questions" Includes "Has the PS3 already lost?" "Is PC gaming dead?" "Are Console Exclusives always bad for gamers?" "Can anyone make good Wii games other than Nintendo?" "Does raw power matter in the console war?" "Is Microsoft ripping you off?" "Did Wii online get a free pass?" "Is the PSP a failure?" "Will downloadable content replace retail?" Haven't read it yet though.

51HW4K1YPCL._SS400_.jpg

...oh please oh please let it be at least the PC's Developer's Cut :D :D :D

duckroll

"I had to give my party members names like "Fight" and "Heal" just so I could recognize who should do what in battle."
"I had to give my party members names like "Fight" and "Heal" just so I could recognize who should do what in battle."

:(

;_;

T_T

>_<

-_-

._.

ethelred

Translation: "We tried to beat this game but, uh, we kinda got our asses kicked."

Translation: "I have nothing against old-school games, but EO is an old-school game and I've got a real problem with that."

"My nostalgia fuled enthusiasm for EO was slowly whittled away by constantly repeating environments, Dragon Warrior inspired battle presentation, and complete lack of story."

I can't wait for their Dragon Quest IX review. "My enthusiasm for this game was ruined by the fact the Dragon Warrioresque battles."

"...a boring level grind with little payoff."

I really want to know if these guys played Nocturne or DDS.

That is... just about the most idiotic thing I've ever seen in a review. Aside from the fact that the game does have a story (though I guess it doesn't count if it's not told through countless hours of FMV)... Have they ever played Wizardry? D&D? Any game where you create and customize your own characters?

Avalon

ethelred said:
Have they ever played Wizardry? D&D? Any game where you create and customize your own characters?

Basically, they tried to apply modern RPG standards to who was obviously going for something completely different. Something thats fueled by the players motivations and not whatever bogus scenario other games try to force.

ethelred

vareon

Kintaro said:

What. What. What.

duckroll

I'm still baffled and shocked that something like this can be seen in a professional print mag review.

One more time......

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
:lol @ Wii games and Diner Dash scores. WTF @ Etrian Odyssey score. More proof that GI sucks ass.

Avalon

DarknessTear said:
Aha so EO is most defintely a non-buy for me.

Yeah right, like you were ever interested in the first place. :p

No one who like dungeon crawlers and is interested in Etrian Odyssey should be worried about it's quality. The game doesn't burden itself with trying to be accessible or appeal to the mainstream. It's exactly the kind of game it wants to be, I would say that's pretty damn rare these days.

Kintaro

You know what's funny, I actually want to give this game a try after reading this review. :lol

Durante

ethelred said:
I really want to know if these guys played Nocturne or DDS.
I agree with your sentiment, but that's not a good comparison. From what I gather about EO, it really has very little payoff for the dungeon crawling story- or otherwise. Surviving the dungeon is a purpose in itself - and that's fine in a traditional dungeon crawler for most off us, but apparently not for the reviewer.
But I wouldn't compare it to Nocturne or DDS. Those games had big dungeons to explore, but they also had great storys to uncover and maybe even influence, and some interesting characters to interact with. (If I'm wrong and EO actually has those on the same level, then your point is justified)

That's more than I expected. For niche animu RPGs, I usually have to add 3 or so to the GI score, that would make this game really great :lol

Innotech

Banned
EO is made by Atlus right? they usually make pretty good software. Like, Odin Sphere for example. I have no doubts EO is a good game.

Top Bottom