• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria: Azure Revolution |Import OT| Wild Armaments

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey, another fantastic FFXV song you never hear in the game!

Actually
you hear that when you fight against Adamantoise

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ive been playing the game but literally have nothing nice to say about it for the most part.

Does not help that the gameplay is pretty boring also with how easy it is to roflstomp everything.

Leveling up your weapons is a bit of a pain in the ass also. Leveling the characters on the other hand is a non issue.

Honestly they should not have even used the Valkyria name if they went this far off tangent. Then again if they didnt use the name even less people would have bought it I imagine.

Linkura

Ive been playing the game but literally have nothing nice to say about it for the most part.

Does not help that the gameplay is pretty boring also with how easy it is to roflstomp everything.

Leveling up your weapons is a bit of a pain in the ass also. Leveling the characters on the other hand is a non issue.

Honestly they should not have even used the Valkyria name if they went this far off tangent. Then again if they didnt use the name even less people would have bought it I imagine.

Pretty much what I expected. Thank you for posting.

Parakeetman

Pretty much what I expected. Thank you for posting.

People who like mindless action and feeling like a total badass just due to how easily you can bowl over the enemies might find the game amusing though. Even more so if someone never has played any of the previous Valkyria games.

So I suppose thats a positive or something people can look forward to who still want to pick up the game when it hits the West.

People who like mindless action and feeling like a total badass just due to how easily you can bowl over the enemies might find the game amusing though. Even more so if someone never has played any of the previous Valkyria games.

So I suppose thats a positive or something people can look forward to who still want to pick up the game when it hits the West.

How's the story (or lack thereof?)?

Parakeetman

Its ok. The whole setting seems to be something that would be familiar to fans. Granted the world is different along with the weapons used.

Short of it is basically the same general idea of small country fighting back against the fascists. Though the leader while being part of the military he is also part of a group that is in the fight for revenge.

Dunan

I bought the "Player's Navigator" artwork/early-game-strategy book (if anyone wants one, let me know) and the game certainly looks amazing; if not for the savage reviews I would be totally hyped for a new take on Valkyria. Beautiful cities, nice UI; a faux-Europe map again with distortions of real country and city names -- but Jutland is Turkey, somehow -- and everything you would expect from a prequel set in the actual Valkyria timeline. The OST is also excellent. I'll probably pick this up when it gets translated, or when it gets a little cheaper. I'm already seeing used copies on Amazon.jp for under $50.

Strings

Kinda made me laugh because the game will NOT SHUT UP. There are so many over-long and uninteresting cutscenes.

I've stopped at chapter 4 with basically no intention of continuing.

EDIT: Might as well add, I actually think the game is super ugly. Sooo much empty brown and grey, and the texture detail clashes badly with the artstyle (not sure how to phrase this).

ranmafan

I've been meaning to play my copy for a while now, and now that I'm putting off Re7 since I can't find a PSVR (so I won't be playing that for a while), I think it's the perfect time to play tonight. Impressions have me concerned but hopefully I'll enjoy.

Parakeetman

I've been meaning to play my copy for a while now, and now that I'm putting off Re7 since I can't find a PSVR (so I won't be playing that for a while), I think it's the perfect time to play tonight. Impressions have me concerned but hopefully I'll enjoy.

Yeah if you dont mind that the game itself is not too difficult and you need something to keep yourself busy with in the mean time then you might enjoy it just fine.

ranmafan

Yeah if you dont mind that the game itself is not too difficult and you need something to keep yourself busy with in the mean time then you might enjoy it just fine.

Yeah I noticed that playing the demos that it was really easy. but honestly I could use a nice good easy experience and all right now. Will nicely counter nioh's difficulty when it comes out. Hopefully I'll enjoy it.

The demo was horrible but I was hoping that it would get better in the actual game :(

Parakeetman

Yeah I noticed that playing the demos that it was really easy. but honestly I could use a nice good easy experience and all right now. Will nicely counter nioh's difficulty when it comes out. Hopefully I'll enjoy it.

Yeah if anything the game is not something that would cause stress for the most part. As its not like the original 3 titles where you actually felt threatened while playing. So seeing that you just want something to relax with and go through the story the title most def would give you just that lol.

The demo was horrible but I was hoping that it would get better in the actual game :(

It is much better than the original demo that is for sure. But if the demo you played was the final one which was released before the games launch then it has not changed from that.

Kysen

13hrs in and loving the game even more. Switched to Brigitta and using loads of action up skills. Feels like an ARPG being able to issue commands constantly on top of having insane dps/mobility. The skill trees are finally opening up for me as I am getting loads of ragnite drops from missions now.

One huge issue I noticed is how dumb the party AI is unless you set the manifests. This is bordering on Ni no kuni levels of stupidity. Even with the manifests there are still pathing issues for the melee classes.

ranmafan

Yeah if anything the game is not something that would cause stress for the most part. As its not like the original 3 titles where you actually felt threatened while playing. So seeing that you just want something to relax with and go through the story the title most def would give you just that lol.

Well I would've loved for it to be more like the originals as they are amazing, I'll take what I can right now. After spending the weekend venting over last weeks PSVR restock annoyances I just need something to breeze though. Still a shame it isn't the Valkyria we all want

Parakeetman

Well I would've loved for it to be more like the originals as they are amazing, I'll take what I can right now. After spending the weekend venting over last weeks PSVR restock annoyances I just need something to breeze though. Still a shame it isn't the Valkyria we all want

Yeah I saw your posts on the PSVR situation. It has been a mess post launch. Do imagine the reason why Japan got less stock too was seeing how little domestic support it had software wise for the most part.

Though yeah in the wild have yet to see any units actually in stores since the launch. I was surprised I managed to get my reservation done at the Shibuya Tsutaya later in the afternoon when reservations went live. Apparently they still had a decent stock back then too.

This game since it uses the same game engine that Shining Resonance used figured it was going to turn out more action based, even more so after seeing the initial demo and how close it was to being a "reskinned" Shining Resonance lol. Though glad to see that they at least attempted to make changes and mold it at least closer to Valk IP.

Am actually playing it right now to just see if I can knock it off the list of things to clear.

ranmafan

Yeah I saw your posts on the PSVR situation. It has been a mess post launch. Do imagine the reason why Japan got less stock too was seeing how little domestic support it had software wise for the most part.

Though yeah in the wild have yet to see any units actually in stores since the launch. I was surprised I managed to get my reservation done at the Shibuya Tsutaya later in the afternoon when reservations went live. Apparently they still had a decent stock back then too.

This game since it uses the same game engine that Shining Resonance used figured it was going to turn out more action based, even more so after seeing the initial demo and how close it was to being a "reskinned" Shining Resonance lol. Though glad to see that they at least attempted to make changes and mold it at least closer to Valk IP.

Am actually playing it right now to just see if I can knock it off the list of things to clear.

Lucky you got one. Hopefully I'll get lucky with the next batch or sometime afterwords.

Yeah it does feel strange being more action based from what little I've played so far. Hopefully I get used to that. Certainly want to enjoy it and all. Even with its flaws.

Parakeetman

Lucky you got one. Hopefully I'll get lucky with the next batch or sometime afterwords.

Yeah it does feel strange being more action based from what little I've played so far. Hopefully I get used to that. Certainly want to enjoy it and all. Even with its flaws.

The whole action part is fairly easy to get used to. Esp with how the general commands and whatnots work. So should not take you too long to adjust to the various mechanics. Though one thing you might want to experiment with is the whole AI system with the various commands you can add into their AI queue. More of those unlock from the sub events and whatnots I think.

I just did some general settings before I fully started pushing into the game and have not changed them since for the most part lol.

Not really counting on my AI to do anything correctly anyways so I just wind up killing most things myself and taking control of the various characters manually.

Game does have some interesting gameplay mechanics though which is nice. As I like the various spells and skills that can be equipped then how they sometimes have random perks attached to them making it slightly better than a vanilla version of a spell / skill. Gives a bit more flexibility to the characters with being able to swap these in and out and such.

ranmafan

The whole action part is fairly easy to get used to. Esp with how the general commands and whatnots work. So should not take you too long to adjust to the various mechanics. Though one thing you might want to experiment with is the whole AI system with the various commands you can add into their AI queue. More of those unlock from the sub events and whatnots I think.

I just did some general settings before I fully started pushing into the game and have not changed them since for the most part lol.

Not really counting on my AI to do anything correctly anyways so I just wind up killing most things myself and taking control of the various characters manually.

Game does have some interesting gameplay mechanics though which is nice. As I like the various spells and skills that can be equipped then how they sometimes have random perks attached to them making it slightly better than a vanilla version of a spell / skill. Gives a bit more flexibility to the characters with being able to swap these in and out and such.

Sounds like there is some good in there with the downsides. I like what I hear about the spells and skills. AInstuff sounds interesting but I can understand from previous gaming experiences how the ai would t do what one wants correctly so I'll keep that in mind when tinkering with it.

Going to give it a go a bit tonight and more so tomorrow.

Nyoro SF

So after finishing the first chapter, I was made aware that the game has a boatload of DLC?

That's rather ridiculous. This game was already very expensive at retail and digital, and now you are selling cutscenes piecemeal microtransaction style? I can forgive potentially bad games but not obvious greed. People are going to be pissed when Sega America publishes all this DLC in the west, especially since the game has already been contentiously received. Just reeks of a grab and run.

Some Nobody

So after finishing the first chapter, I was made aware that the game has a boatload of DLC?

That's rather ridiculous. This game was already very expensive at retail and digital, and now you are selling cutscenes piecemeal microtransaction style? I can forgive potentially bad games but not obvious greed. People are going to be pissed when Sega America publishes all this DLC in the west, especially since the game has already been contentiously received. Just reeks of a grab and run.

How the fuck do you sell cutscenes? What's Sega thinking?

Nyoro SF

Was going to wait until I was finished with the game until I wrote more, but I wanted to note, the cutscenes in this game are insanely long. Much longer than Chronicles cutscenes.

Even though I've just started chapter 2, it's really crazy how long the cutscenes take. And the weird part is, despite these multiple in a row 10+ minute cutscenes, it's mostly just people standing around talking; which is what the talking portraits cutscenes in VC1 was for. If you're going to have a scene with no one moving, you might as well just use portraits again.

So I have to ask Sega, do you want to make a movie or a game? Chronicles cutscenes were very well paced in terms of ratio of movie to game. But I just started Azure Revolution, and it has been 1 hour, and I haven't been able to play the game.

Was going to wait until I was finished with the game until I wrote more, but I wanted to note, the cutscenes in this game are insanely long. Much longer than Chronicles cutscenes.

Even though I've just started chapter 2, it's really crazy how long the cutscenes take. And the weird part is, despite these multiple in a row 10+ minute cutscenes, it's mostly just people standing around talking; which is what the talking portraits cutscenes in VC1 was for. If you're going to have a scene with no one moving, you might as well just use portraits again.

So I have to ask Sega, do you want to make a movie or a game? Chronicles cutscenes were very well paced in terms of ratio of movie to game. But I just started Azure Revolution, and it has been 1 hour, and I haven't been able to play the game.

Oof my expectations keep dropping. I don't mind slow starts myself, but that's a bit of a limit. Is what they're saying interesting at the least, kinda like the Kiseki games?

ranmafan

This has been the thing thats really bugged me too about the game. I don't usually have problems with cutscenes. I can handle a long one and all. Heck MGS4s long cutscenes were great and all for example. But here they are indeed way too long and boring a lot of the time. In fact Ive tried to play the game on my vita at night just before bed and Ive literally fallen a sleep in the middle of some of these long cutscenes because they just have failed to hold my interest. Which then means I have to go back and do them all over again. Really that is something they really should've worked on more about the game.

Also I haven't checked my ps4 copy of the game yet, but the vita version, some of the text is impossible to read. Especially in those books you can read to get information on things in the game. If its like that in the ps4 version too I would be shocked and all, but no matter on the vita its embarrassingly bad. Makes the complaints people had about the hard to read signs in the PS4 version of persona 5 seem so moot in comparison.

Haven't given up on the game, but its being put a side a bit at the moment. Which is sad as I was really looking forward to it despite the bad demos. But I'm certainly going to take getting through it slowly compared to what I had originally planned.

Nyoro SF

Oof my expectations keep dropping. I don't mind slow starts myself, but that's a bit of a limit. Is what they're saying interesting at the least, kinda like the Kiseki games?

Dialogue is fine, but it's too drawn out, and since it isn't really accompanied by any dynamic expressions (like in VC, they covered this with portraits + changing facial expressions), it can make scenes very uninteresting.

Nyoro SF

Wanted to post and give people a heads up that the trophies on my console are popping up in English instead of Japanese now (and the trophy category has the localized name). Trophy cert submission being completed usually means a release date is incoming, because trophy cert is part of the larger certification process for consoles.

I plan on doing the English OT as well, so I hope Sega gives the official localized names for characters soon so I can update them.

So...

Valkyria '06?

Oh no, not nearly that bad, lol... but there are some strange looking cutscenes because of either total stillness, characters walking in from off-screen that should have never caught anyone off guard, or idle animations that play way out of control. There's one cutscene in chapter 2 where I was almost choking with laughter because each Vanagard member's "stunned" animation being played way too fast, making it look like everyone was doing a rave dance.

Strings

Figured I might as well give my impressions of the complete game, now that I've finished it. It was...

Just really, really awful. A 3/10 if you want a number (whereas the original Valkyria would be a 9.5, the second a 7.5, and the third an 8.5). Divorced from those three and judged on its own merits (which is the only fair way to try talk about it imo, seeing as the setting and systems are completely different), it's best described as a super janky, padded mess.

Padded in two ways - with copy-pasted maps and missions, and with hilariously loooooong cutscenes (where nobody ever shuts the fuck up, and nothing that couldn't have been said in just two minutes is ever uttered) that feature the worst staging and composition I've seen in maybe a decade.

These cutscenes also inexplicably fade to black... only for the next one to start... and it's the same scene? And no time has passed? Huh? To whoever directed the cutscenes - I can't believe you've done this.

The story they're telling isn't great either. It's not quite bad, but it over-relies on stupidity and over-exposes the boring villains by constantly cutting to them in their lair, where they all wear scary armour / hoods and deliver inane speeches at one another. The setting is a huge step-down from the previous games, taking place in a more generic anime-fantasy world where everyone can use magic, which really undercuts the titular Valkyria (who is a laughably bad character / does a fine job undercutting herself by losing to you a half-dozen times / lol see what I did there with the 'tit-ular'?).

The playable cast is fine. There's a faux social-link system which was one of the few things I unironically enjoyed. The main character is about as fun as a wet blanket; all dour and brooding and edgy. Everyone's designs are uniformly terrible.

I've held off on mentioning the actual gameplay because I'm not sure what to even say. It's very janky, and feels super dissatisfying to control because of the cool-down every action triggers (like a global cool-down in an MMO, except your auto-attack is bound by it too). Strategy / competence means very little in comparison to whatever level you are versus whatever level the enemy is. There are a ton of party members to play as, but the system renders them all equally uninteresting. Guns suck.

As a silver lining, you can fill up a gauge at the top of the screen which in turn disables the action cool-down, and lets you play a semi-decent ARPG for a bit. The upgrade systems are pretty decent too.

The music is fine. Kinda disappointing when you consider it's Mitsuda. The look of the game is sub-par, with rubbish animations and a ton of distracting pop in. The oddly-detailed character models clash with the more pleasing (if overwhelmingly brown) world around them, and overall, it just looks worse than the game from 2008.

The mission padding strikes when you least expect (I actually thought I was about to finish the game, only to discover I was just halfway through (at which point I dropped it for two weeks)).

To be completely honest, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

EDIT: The long-ass, slow cutscenes were pretty good Japanese practice though.

Linkura

Thank you, Strings, for the extensive impressions. Sounds like a complete shitshow. You'll probably be saving a lot of people some money.

Parakeetman

Figured I might as well give my impressions of the complete game, now that I've finished it. It was...

Just really, really awful. A 3/10 if you want a number (whereas the original Valkyria would be a 9.5, the second a 7.5, and the third an 8.5). Divorced from those three and judged on its own merits (which is the only fair way to try talk about it imo, seeing as the setting and systems are completely different), it's best described as a super janky, padded mess.

Padded in two ways - with copy-pasted maps and missions, and with hilariously loooooong cutscenes (where nobody ever shuts the fuck up, and nothing that couldn't have been said in just two minutes is ever uttered) that feature the worst staging and composition I've seen in maybe a decade.

These cutscenes also inexplicably fade to black... only for the next one to start... and it's the same scene? And no time has passed? Huh? To whoever directed the cutscenes - I can't believe you've done this.

The story they're telling isn't great either. It's not quite bad, but it over-relies on stupidity and over-exposes the boring villains by constantly cutting to them in their lair, where they all wear scary armour / hoods and deliver inane speeches at one another. The setting is a huge step-down from the previous games, taking place in a more generic anime-fantasy world where everyone can use magic, which really undercuts the titular Valkyria (who is a laughably bad character / does a fine job undercutting herself by losing to you a half-dozen times / lol see what I did there with the 'tit-ular'?).

The playable cast is fine. There's a faux social-link system which was one of the few things I unironically enjoyed. The main character is about as fun as a wet blanket; all dour and brooding and edgy. Everyone's designs are uniformly terrible.

I've held off on mentioning the actual gameplay because I'm not sure what to even say. It's very janky, and feels super dissatisfying to control because of the cool-down every action triggers (like a global cool-down in an MMO, except your auto-attack is bound by it too). Strategy / competence means very little in comparison to whatever level you are versus whatever level the enemy is. There are a ton of party members to play as, but the system renders them all equally uninteresting. Guns suck.

As a silver lining, you can fill up a gauge at the top of the screen which in turn disables the action cool-down, and lets you play a semi-decent ARPG for a bit. The upgrade systems are pretty decent too.

The music is fine. Kinda disappointing when you consider it's Mitsuda. The look of the game is sub-par, with rubbish animations and a ton of distracting pop in. The oddly-detailed character models clash with the more pleasing (if overwhelmingly brown) world around them, and overall, it just looks worse than the game from 2008.

The mission padding strikes when you least expect (I actually thought I was about to finish the game, only to discover I was just halfway through (at which point I dropped it for two weeks)).

To be completely honest, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

EDIT: The long-ass, slow cutscenes were pretty good Japanese practice though.

Yep this is pretty accurate.

wow...that sucks, really debating on buy it, since I wanna support Valkyria, but the demo/trailers haven't impressed me and the reviews haven't been exactly glowing either.

Parakeetman

Not that I expected differently, but this game sounds dreadful.

Its not that its really dreadful, but overall they really halfassed a lot of things. So the game is just super watered down gameplay wise making it quite the boring experience. There literally is no tension with the battles due to being able to roflstomp pretty much any poor bastard who is in your way. And yeah the story will bore you to tears due to how up its own ass it is.

Not exactly something Id tell people who really wanted to play it to buy at full price.

wow...that sucks, really debating on buy it, since I wanna support Valkyria, but the demo/trailers haven't impressed me and the reviews haven't been exactly glowing either.

Doubt you would really be supporting Valkyria since all it would tell Sega is basically that people are ok with such a poorly executed use of a niche yet fairly popular IP. Pretty much in Japan anyways think Sega got the idea that they went and fucked up with the project. Honestly no idea why they even thought it was a good idea.

Strings

Yeah, this is basically why I bought it.

Luckily, the producers of the series stated that this was greenlit before the PC release of the original, and that more 'traditional' Valkyria games are coming (Source: December 2016 interview with Dualshockers - which I think is banned on GAF?).

EDIT: Still kinda worrying that they thought releasing something of this quality was acceptable.

Toa Axis

It's a shame that the game seemingly turned out so poorly. I'm a big fan of the original, and while I was very disappointed that this game would be quite different, I was still interested to see how it would hold up on its own merits.

That didn't shake out, it seems.

We can take solace in the fact that we supposedly have more traditional Valkyria games on the way, I suppose.

Yeah, this is basically why I bought it.

Luckily, the producers of the series stated that this was greenlit before the PC release of the original, and that more 'traditional' Valkyria games are coming (Source: December 2016 interview with Dualshockers - which I think is banned on GAF?).

EDIT: Still kinda worrying that they thought releasing something of this quality was acceptable.

DualShockers has been unbanned for a few months at least now. If it's any solace, I've seen mods citing Dualshockers articles recently. If you dig that interview up again, could you post it?

Anyway, my theory on this game's quality is that they decided after the first demo's reception that they decided to just polish it a bit without too much more investment, shit it out quickly, and then move all efforts onto a proper VC title.

Strings

DualShockers has been unbanned for a few months at least now. If it's any solace, I've seen mods citing Dualshockers articles recently. If you dig that interview up again, could you post it?

Anyway, my theory on this game's quality is that they decided after the first demo's reception that they decided to just polish it a bit without too much more investment, shit it out quickly, and then move all efforts onto a proper VC title.

Here you go: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/12...-will-continue-valkyria-revolution-explained/

Nyoro SF

Still waiting to finish the game before writing more, but it sure is taking its sweet time with these cutscenes... lol.

But to make my criticism simple for now, the vision of the world is flawed, and the game is incomplete and too limited. There's enough enjoyable stuff to keep going for someone like me, but the overall cheapness of everything is what turns me off more than anything else. I think the story and characters are fine in terms of writing (so far), and the music is bar none the best part, but the low quality of so many things besides that is so lame that it kills my interest and ruins a lot of immersion.

Like I said, more later, right after all these cutscenes are over. :p

It's like they just can't realize people just want the original again.
They just can't stop chasing what they percieve to be the current trend on the Japanese games market, think "that's where the money is!" and do that rather than looking at the VC1 sales numbers (post-PC port) and going for that (like Capcom did with Resident Evil 7).

Same with VC2: Released on PSP (big in Japan back then, not in Europe) with an absolute cringefest of run of the mill anime high school slice of life characters and story (that's what everyone wants!)

They can't stop single mindedly taking nothing but the Japanese market and what they thing is the biggest local target group into account. They don't even bother to check how much the IP sells in the west relatively to Japan. I think that they think so little of the series and its appeal is one of the reasons for that, so they try to make "as much money as possible" back to save their investment that they start targeting what they think is safe returns rather than going for an actual, globally and fanbase appealing product.

That they're also releasing the game on the XBone of all consoles rather than the PC shows that Sega Japan lives in a bubble of ignorance and has no idea what they are doing.

Even with a small budget they should still target the bigger, western market with a VC1 gameplay sequel with a PC release, that's where the money and the biggest current fanbase of the series is.

Sadly expecting Sega to go "lolol, see, no one wants Valkyria games anymore, we were right, lolol" and killing the series off rather than doing the right thing and releasing a proper VC1 sequel.

EmiPrime

I got my fill from the demo, it really is a grab bag of the worst of Japanese video games. The cut-scenes are long, pointless and many (I think I counted 7 between the game starting and actually being able to play), female characters have weird anime doll faces and the game itself is mindless mash square combat you've seen in a hundred other crappy Japanese action RPGs. Why Sega have chosen to localise this and port it to Xbox One for the west is a mystery to me.

I've enjoyed reading the reviews on Amazon Japan at least.

cireza

Banned
This topic depresses me. I will still give the game a try, but I now have 0 faith in it being possibly good.

:(

Top Bottom