• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vehicle plows into counter protesters in Charlottesville

I don't think it is disturbing. It is an editorial slant, for sure. There are at least three rationales for this: 1. They are racist and want to protect the racist, 2. They don't want to offend the racists, and 3. They don't want to stoke the flames of tribalism.

The last one seems most likely and, if this thread is anything to go by, is a very worthwhile thing to do. The driver hasn't had his day in court and some posters are calling out his mother and are saying that the driver is emblamatic of all Trump voters. This tribalism is dangerous. This Manichean thinking is why your political culture is as toxic as it is and is exactly the kind of thinking needed to internally justify running people over with a car.

The US is better than that. If the news is avoiding language that could enflame already highly partisan thinking, that's a good thing.
Weird how the media has no qualms about stoking the fire when it's a muslim terrorist. Very curious.

ZOONAMI

OK so sent my bro the wiki eugenics and nazi racial policy and he finally gets it. God damn it's like we went to the same fucking high school and they didn't teach him shit or something. Kid is smarter than me so I'm honestly baffled.

Sigmaah

Well yeah, they nazis.

What did you expect them to do?

Ok it did sound kinda stupid lmao but I don't think I've ever seen a photo of regular white guys id see at like work or at the bar etc just out here being a nazi like it's Gucci. To me it's usually just old white guys but boi welcome to murrica.

Rupetta

I don't think it is disturbing. It is an editorial slant, for sure. There are at least three rationales for this: 1. They are racist and want to protect the racist, 2. They don't want to offend the racists, and 3. They don't want to stoke the flames of tribalism.

The last rationale is achieved through the 'both sides' argument, here's eg NYT Sheryl Strolberg "

"The hard left seemed as hate-filled as alt-right. I saw club-wielding "antifa" beating white nationalists being led out of the park"

https://twitter.com/SherylNYT/status/896575560650035200

The public gobbles up this line of thinking

This feeds the myth that Heider's death was her destiny btw.

cirrhosis

Been reading this thread all day. Still processing it all but the last time I felt this way was election night and right after. The shit that i feared would happen has been happening but this is kicking it up.

I almost showed up at this today. I was ready to go but our ride told us he didn't feel comfortable letting us join. He was serving as a de-escalator for the first time. Didn't want to drive down myself and I'm sort of glad I didn't, while also feeling really ashamed about it.

NEO0MJ

So on the way to work I heard Trump's speech on the radio and I can't believe he pulled the "both sides" thing. Fucking unbelievable.

watershed

Banned
The last rationale is achieved through the 'both sides' argument, here's eg NYT Sheryl Strolberg "

"The hard left seemed as hate-filled as alt-right. I saw club-wielding "antifa" beating white nationalists being led out of the park"

The worst part is she covers race, gender, and politics for the NYT. She's their official voice for this stuff.

Mortemis

Banned

Man, shit like this just gets me heated. So many people out there trying their hardest to cancel out the hate they see with some both sides or many sides bullshit. Like it's their defense mechanism to this and they just don't wanna deal with the problems they see.

"The allied powers seemed hate filled as the Axis of evil. I saw 'allies' killing gas chamber operating Nazis. BOTH SIDES"

Hallowed

So happy that terrorist driver has been caught.

These white supremacist/Nazi's/whatever the fuck, they are a very small minority though right? At least I fucking hope so.

oakland is upset

major freeway

Jakten

Man, shit like this just gets me heated. So many people out there trying their hardest to cancel out the hate they see with some both sides or many sides bullshit. Like it's their defense mechanism to this and they just don't wanna deal with the problems they see.

Many people have experienced such little real problems in their life that they don't know how to deal with it or don't want to deal with it because it scares them. So instead they wish really hard it will go away. It really is their defence mechanism because they can't handle knowing that they do not live in the peaceful world their privileged life has taught them existed. The only thing they are taught is to calm their anxious mind by trying to minimize the severity of things and dismiss it, by school, society, television etc.

This isn't as easy as deciding whether or not throw out the bread because you forgot when the expiry date is this is SSCAAARRRYYY. They are interested in personal quiet peace not peace that brings consequences to the unjust.

Zen Aku

Just read the statement from the suspect's mother about Trump.

"Trump isn't a white supremacist. He has a black friend so..."

Fucking joke of a family that is.

I still can't believe there are so many fucking nazis in the US of all places, the very country that has patted itself on the back for decades for helping defeat Nazi Germany as if they'd single-handedly won the war. Like, what the hell is going on.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I still can't believe there are so many fucking nazis in the US of all places, the very country that has patted itself on the back for decades for helping defeat Nazi Germany as if they'd single-handedly won the war. Like, what the hell is going on.

I know right. It's crazy that Nazis have managed to gain such a foothold in this country. It floors me every time I think about it. It also angers the ever loving hell out of me.

SilentRob

oakland is upset

major freeway

Fucking FINALLY.

If this and Trumps reaction isn't the tipping point that leads to country wide protests and riots I lose pretty much all of the little hope I have left for the US. If all of this isn't enough to mobilize people nothing will ever be.

bplewis24

Neo Member
It's not the advice given. Look what happened in the public, hell, on here. Every thread dealing with republicans during that time people referred to them as dumb, ignorant, uneducated masses. I said this was unacceptable, this animal needs to be put down, not locked up. I do have two degrees. And the only people I cannot stand are scumbags like this, or those property damaging and looting scum from other protests. Trash comes in many colors, I'm an equal opportunity hater of scumbags. So yeah by that example, if that stance and mindset doesn't change, and they don't target the normal, the demos will lose again.

I'll be sure to remember this advice when I decide to care about the opinions of cowards and imbeciles.

NEO0MJ

Many sides.

Like a tetrahedron.

I hate him so much.

I bet he thinks that going with "many sides" was oh so clever.

President of the free world
for white people specifically

I mean he actually commented this time so it's progress. Maybe he'll actually condemn it next time!
yeah right

*who are straight, non-jewish, non-Islamic rich males who praise him

No no, he loves the Jews. Tremendously. Didn't you hear him say how he only trusts funny looking guys in yarmulkes to count his money? Also, some of his best friends are Muslims.
This is a joke comment built on past statements from Trump.

EdmondD

OK so sent my bro the wiki eugenics and nazi racial policy and he finally gets it. God damn it's like we went to the same fucking high school and they didn't teach him shit or something. Kid is smarter than me so I'm honestly baffled.

Was he asleep during history class? What the fuck? Seems like a lot of people slept through history now that I think about it.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
oakland is upset

major freeway

I'm pleased, but also worried this will be widely ignored and leading to nothing. Also, the antifa flag alone will probably be enough for social media to turn it into yet another "They're bad, too!" thing.

Get out there, USA. Please.

Well, after seventy years of Nazis being shown as villains apparently the only less learned was that bad guys have accents.

Drewboy64

Ugh, I hate that false equivalency shit. Anti-fascist is in their fucking name, how is that "just as bad" as fascism, when they're fighting against all the terrible things fascists want?

Even if antifa was beating nazis and white nationalists being led out of the park, is that really something we're going to put a lot of effort into condemning? I'd rather nazis and klansmen be afraid in public than not.

SugarDave

America is such a joke.

I hope this is the spark for people to come together nationwide and expunge the festering shit from your country.

Mr. X

America is such a joke.

I hope this is the spark for people to come together nationwide and expunge the festering shit from your country.
Lol we talking about the nation who is shouting All Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter now giving a fuck about minority lives?

This is undistilled America today. Look at all these both sides and this intentional attack called an accident coming from the news.

the210

Also that this nazi scumbag driver served too. How could someone that has been in the military to protect the country even think of anything like this, let alone do it?

Because despite people wanting things to be different this is a racist nation at its core. Many military, police, and government officials are white supremacists. That's why it boggles my mind to hear people wanting to curtail who gets the right to free speech.
They point out how other nations have banned Nazi's but don't seem to think about how America is different in that it embraces white supremacy. Other Nations try to make up for their past transgressions but we act like ours never happened.

Vamp

I think this is the time to unite and kick that orange monkey out of white house. There should be country wide protests against that asshole.

SugarDave

Lol we talking about the nation who is shouting All Lives Matter and Blue Lives Matter now giving a fuck about minority lives?

This is undistilled America today. Look at all these both sides and this intentional attack called an accident coming from the news.

I understand, and don't actually expect anyone to accomplish anything after this, but please allow me at least a few minutes to hope and imagine that "the greatest country in the world" has it in them to do something.

Top Bottom