• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata: Nintendo 2013 R&D Preview [Large Scale Restructure, New Miyamoto Team]

AzaK

Miyamoto WiiWare

Which would be amazing. He could let his creativity loose with smaller projects and we could see some amazing gems from him.

This all sounds really interesting that's for sure. Tune into the stock market tomorrow to see the aftermath :)

Thoraxes

I'll believe new IPs when I see them (not including smaller titles), but this kind of change seems better than no change.

A new IP is a new IP, no matter what way you skew it. I would argue what they're starting to do with Pushmo is great because it was an awesome new IP that came out this year, and the sequel looks to be mindblowing in conceptualizing how to complete levels lol

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
2013 Expected Iwata Changes
+ Major shift in Kyoto development sources involving 3 R&D buildings
+ Shigeru Miyamoto stepping down as EAD General Manager
+ Takash Tezuka becoming new EAD General Manager
+ New Groups / New Producers announced for EAD Kyoto / SPD Kyoto
+ EAD Tokyo Expansion / Masahiro Sakurai Possibly Joining EAD Tokyo
+ New Division lead by Miyamoto with younger staff focused on smaller scale games
+ Miyamoto's Departure Inspiring New IPs for the EAD Kyoto Division

I like all of this.

@MUWANdo

Banned
New here?

I don't doubt most of what he said, it's just irritating that he says "Sources: blah" without actually linking to them. I don't want to have to go and drag 'em all up myself just so I can cross-reference 'em with what he posted. Some of those bullet points at the end seem very optimistic...

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Hmm.

Wouldn't Smash be being developed in Tokyo? If I remember my Game Center CX well enough, that's where Namco's headquarters are.

EAD Tokyo seems like a decent place for him to set up offices in the meantime.

Iwata wanted Sakurai to join EAD Tokyo back for Brawl. But Sakurai thought he could run a studio without direct Nintendo management. He was wrong. With Project Sora closing, it seems all but evident that Sakurai should go back to Iwata's original plan to form the third main section of EAD Tokyo alongside Producer Shimizu and Producer Koizumi.

The news that excites me the most is Miyamoto finally getting back to directing games instead of being a manager.
A man of Miyamotos caliber working with a new generation of designers on smaller games without all the baggage is amazing news, and must be a dream come true for both Miyamoto and the designers who were working under him before.

I doubt he can be a regular game director ever again. His job as a Senior Directing Manager (corporate) is the most important and highest paying thing he has ever done. It eats up most of his time. All this new division would do, is probably have his ideas closer to the end product since they are simpler games. But they would still be directed by someone else.

Can you link to your sources?

I have EAD guys on my facebook. I can post some crazy stuff if i really wanted to. But this is a rather neutral post. And I even posted the sources that hinted at all this stuff.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
+ Expanse of Retro Studios to peruse greater in Western design philosophies.

Please.

EDIT: God, my English is shit this weekend.

Satoru Iwata has big plans for Nintendo Company Limited in 2013. Iwata, who architectured the big restructure of 2002 where he dissolved the legendary Nintendo R&D1 and Nintendo R&D2 to strengthen Nintendo EAD and also create Nintendo SPD. Iwata has long admitted several deficits in the company he wanted to address, including expanding the network team of Nintendo, and initiating another huge rehaul of the software development division.

By December 2012, Iwata hopes to put place a new mysterious restructure of R&D which revolves around a new Kyoto R&D building hoping to exlusively house over 1200 developers. Previously, Nintendo has its R&D split between its main Central Building and its old Kyoto Research Institute Building. It is very unclear how the third R&D building will change the dynamic in Kyoto, but Iwata has mentioned wanting to support expansion as well as efficiency.

Additionally, Nintendo has continued to expand R&D operations in its Tokyo sector. Tokyo being the largest city of Japan by far, has created a window where several veteran developers from Square, SEGA, Koei, Epoch, and Konami can easily transition to join the EAD Tokyo development section.

But alongside all the expansion in Kyoto and Tokyo, comes the biggest news that Shigeru Miyamoto is expected to leave the EAD Division most likely by December 2012. Miyamoto has expressed concern that his presence is over shining all the new producers and directors creating content in the EAD Division (the largest of two gaming divisions at Nintendo). Miyamoto has vocalized his intent of stepping aside as General Manager of EAD to perhaps to create a third development sector where he would work with younger developers and focus on smaller resource, and faster to develop games.

2013 Expected Iwata Changes
+ Major shift in Kyoto development sources involving 3 R&D buildings
+ Shigeru Miyamoto stepping down as EAD General Manager
+ Takash Tezuka becoming new EAD General Manager
+ New Groups / New Producers announced for EAD Kyoto / SPD Kyoto
+ EAD Tokyo Expansion / Masahiro Sakurai Possibly Joining EAD Tokyo
+ New Division lead by Miyamoto with younger staff focused on smaller scale games
+ Miyamoto's Departure Inspiring New IPs for the EAD Kyoto Division

Source: Guardian UK. Nikkei. Wired.

1200(!) new developers? i said wow.

It all sounds good so far.

A new IP is a new IP, no matter what way you skew it. I would argue what they're starting to do with Pushmo is great because it was an awesome new IP that came out this year, and the sequel looks to be mindblowing in conceptualizing how to complete levels lol
well it's not the same to me. I give more shits for new IPs with large investments.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Iwata wanted Sakurai to join EAD Tokyo back for Brawl. But Sakurai thought he could run a studio without direct Nintendo management. He was wrong.

What makes you say this? The dissolution of Project Sora isn't an indicator of Sakurai's management skills--it was a formal arrangement that allowed Sora LTD to procure Nintendo staffers whenever production ramped up, with the ultimate aim of facilitating the next Smash game, but he's working on Namco now so it was no longer necessary.

I have EAD guys on my facebook. I can post some crazy stuff if i really wanted to. But this is a rather neutral post. And I even posted the sources that hinted at all this stuff.

Well I guess it's just irritating to see stuff like "EAD going for more IPs?! Sakurai to join EAD Tokyo?!" presented (or even just interpreted) as fact or certainty when it's just hopeful speculation, no matter how informed, because it gets spread around the internet like it's gospel and blows up from there. I can guarantee your post is gonna be posted on a million news sites by tomorrow.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Iwata-sama!

*hair flick*

I'd love to see Miyamoto step down the stairs a bit. One of the more rightly vocal insults thrown at Nintendo is the fact that they are reliant upon existing IPs, despite their habit of creating a new IP or two every generation. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Miyamoto steps down from a "leadership" position and what frontiers Nintendo might conjure without his ever-apparent presence.

If you build it, Nintendo, they will come. Sign me up if in-house Nintendo output shoots up considerably for the Wii-U gen.

Yeah, what the hell do they do with all those resources? 1200 for a third R&D division? Are they building super-weapons to take over the world or something?

What makes you say this? The dissolution of Project Sora isn't an indicator of Sakurai's management skills--it was a formal arrangement that allowed Sora LTD to procure Nintendo staffers whenever production ramped up, with the ultimate aim of facilitating the next Smash game, but he's working on Namco now so it was no longer necessary.

Well, Sakurai did sign an incredibly shitty contract with Meteos.

He got paid for his work but retained ownership over nothing and they just used his ideas for other Meteos games without needing him.

Linkhero1

A lot of this sounds good. Hopefully this restructure means many new ips. Like EatChildren said, I would love to see Retro expand in terms of making games for the Western Demographic.

I was all wtf is that, then I google it and realized they changed the title and I wasn't aware.

You've been gone for far too long Pyro!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Also a major shoutout for Tezuka to take on the General Manager position of EAD. One of the best personnel Nintendo has might finally catch some limelight despite never wanting to appear within it.

If you build it, Nintendo, they will come. Sign me up if in-house Nintendo output shoots up considerably for the Wii-U gen.

Yeah, what the hell do they do with all those resources? 1200 for a third R&D division? Are they building super-weapons to take over the world or something?

Expansion of Nintenjas' HQ.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Well, Sakurai did sign an incredibly shitty contract with Meteos.

He got paid for his work but retained ownership over nothing and they just used his ideas for other Meteos games without needing him.

Has he ever said anything that suggests he's bothered by this? I mean, Meteos came out relatively soon after the HAL split, so maybe he just wanted to be able to work on something for the hell of it and then move on, without worrying about a long-term agenda or whatever. Maybe he did, I don't know, I never really paid much attention to that game.

Katsuragi

Very interesting changes! I'd love to see Miyamoto back in actual game development. He could train a new generation of Nintendo developers by coming up with concepts and ideas for smaller eShop projects.

apana

Thank you for the info. Nintendo needs to keep expanding. They have IP that are profitable but don't necessarily need to be done by the same people again and again. For example NSMB and DKC need to be high quality but don't need to be handled by studios that would be better utilized making new games, like Retro. I don't know what to make of the Miyamoto news, probably for the best.

edit: I agree with the call to expand Retro, makes perfect sense. Have one group revive old Nintendo IP and the other make new IP.

A lot of this sounds good. Hopefully this restructure means many new ips. Like EatChildren said, I would love to see Retro expand in terms of making games for the Western Demographic.

You've been gone for far too long Pyro!
I post too much on the OT side and too little on the gaming side lately. Need to balance dat shiteee.

Axiology

a8fskq.gif

Wow with this news it really feels like they're about to drop some life-changing bombs soon.

Best guesses as to what it could be?

-F-Zero/Star Fox back
-Purchasing Platinum Games
-Hiring [Developer X]
-Competent online infrastructure... powered by Steam... For free
-Shenmue III
-Retro's 1080p (yeah right) Metroid Prime 4 :O

Which would be amazing. He could let his creativity loose with smaller projects and we could see some amazing gems from him.

This all sounds really interesting that's for sure. Tune into the stock market tomorrow to see the aftermath :)

Myamoto's been itching to get back to developing smaller titles for a while now. he's talked about it on quite a few different occasions. Sounds great really, especially the new IP's from EAD.

jonno394

I have been considering whether i should cancel my Wii U preorder recently. This news, though unlikely to have any effect for at least 12 months has quashed that, and i am extremely excited for what the future holds for Nintendo now.

I would love to see a dev group focus on turn based rpgs ala ff and dq.

edit- Forgot Monolith Soft already do this....

Reuenthal

Banned
Sounds awesome. Iwata is really one of my favorite people in the business, Nintendo is lucky to have him. He proves it when he does things right, he even proves it by adapting to mistakes like 3DS price level and he even took a cut to his own salary.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Managing a studio, producing and directing games was way beyond Masahiro Sakurai. Sakurai's wife helped him managed the studio as well, but it just wasn't enough. Specifically procuring and hiring talent became arduous for Sakurai. Basically he was never able to assemble an internal staff capable of developing a game on its own. For Smash Bros. Brawl and Kid Icarus, they only we able to hire about 20-50% of the necessary staff required for a Wii-3DS game. Nintendo had to subcontract several companies for each game to reach development. Again, they tried to hire staff for the Smash HD-3DS project, and they just gave up, liquidated the subsidiary, and hired Namco-Bandai to do the intial labor. Three strikes and you are out.

Iwata wanted Sakurai to join EAD Tokyo from the beginning. Have management run the studio, and just have Sakurai focus on producing or directing the games. Sakurai initially refused.

Well I guess it's just irritating to see stuff like "EAD going for more IPs?! Sakurai to join EAD Tokyo?!" presented (or even just interpreted) as fact or certainty when it's just hopeful speculation, no matter how informed, because it gets spread around the internet like it's gospel and blows up from there. I can guarantee your post is gonna be posted on a million news sites by tomorrow.

I waited till the weekend. But technically Steel Diver and Nintendo Land were new Nintendo IPs. Wii Music, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and Wii Play before it.

Well. One of the issues is Iwata wants more efficiency. So its not exactly 1200 new Kyoto developers, as much as taking some people from central office, and some from kyoto research institute, and then hiring people, and making them all work in the same building. Again how the numbers will workout between the three Kyoto buildings will be interesting.

guit3457

Shikamaru, correct me if I'm wrong, but they plan to house other small developers owned by Nintendo like Intelligent Systems in the new building.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Managing a studio, producing and directing games was way beyond Masahiro Sakurai. Sakurai's wife helped him managed the studio as well, but it just wasn't enough. Specifically procuring and hiring talent became arduous for Sakurai. Basically he was never able to assemble an internal staff capable of developing a game on its own. For Smash Bros. Brawl and Kid Icarus, they only we able to hire about 20-50% of the necessary staff required for a Wii-3DS game. Nintendo had to subcontract several companies for each game to reach development. Again, they tried to hire staff for the Smash HD-3DS project, and they just gave up, liquidated the subsidiary, and hired Namco-Bandai to do the intial labor. Three strikes and you are out.

Iwata wanted Sakurai to join EAD Tokyo from the beginning. Have management run the studio, and just have Sakurai focus on producing or directing the games. Sakurai initially refused.

I waited till the weekend. But technically Steel Diver and Nintendo Land were new Nintendo IPs. Wii Music, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and Wii Play before it.

Hmm, okay, fair enough. I don't doubt you or your sources, I'm just generally frustrated at the way these things are usually reported, so I'm being extra nitpicky ATM. Thanks for the info.

The_Lump

Banned
This expansion does not compute. Thought they were doomed?? ;)

Srsly tho, cool news. The Miyamoto part especially. Shouldn't coup that guy up in a high level role, let him start designing games ground up again. Benefits EAD too as he can finally let go of the reins and allow a new generation of designers to blossom.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Shikimaru, correct me if I'm wrong, but they play to house in the new building other small developers owned by Nintendo like Intelligent Systems.

Right now.

Central Office (Kyoto, Japan)
Nintendo EAD Kyoto, Nintendo IRD, SRD

Kyoto Research Institute (Kyoto, Japan)
Nintendo SPD, Intelligent Systems, Nintendo RED, Mario Club

New Kyoto Office (Kyoto, Japan)
?????? -

Nintendo Tokyo Office
Nintendo EAD Tokyo

Wow, these changes all sound like good ideas, and make me think Nintendo is not fucking around at all with their plans for next gen. I would imagine myself being awfully worried if I were a Sony Japan employee right now.

onilink88

Iwata-sama!

*hair flick*

I'd love to see Miyamoto step down the stairs a bit. One of the more rightly vocal insults thrown at Nintendo is the fact that they are reliant upon existing IPs, despite their habit of creating a new IP or two every generation. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Miyamoto steps down from a "leadership" position and what frontiers Nintendo might conjure without his ever-apparent presence.

Now, forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you, but even after this supposed restructure, they're not going to be any less reliant on Mario/Zelda/whatever else.

Top Bottom