• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Way To Immediately Get Rid Of Heartburn

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I suffer from a lot of heartburn. I take Prilosec and it has helped tremendously. Last night, I went out for a little drinking (wasn't drunk) and came home and went to sleep. Today, I have some annoying heartburn. It's not horrible, but it's enough to prevent me from going to lunch. Any advice on what would be good to remedy this right now? Pepto Bismol or...?

Meadows

Banned
Any dull pain in the chest, or any pain rising from your left arm up to your neck, or is it defs heartburn?

If so, then some over the counter medicine or alkaline stuff such as milk.

grumble

Milk won't work well. Also, it isn't alkaline. ph ranges from 6.4 to 6.8, making it slightly acidic.

Pepto-bismol demolishes heartburn.

Meadows said:
Any dull pain in the chest, or any pain rising from your left arm up to your neck, or is it defs heartburn?

If so, then some over the counter medicine or alkaline stuff such as milk.
No, no signs of 'heart attack'. I've had heartburn for years now.

BTW, see my post above why milk is not a good idea.

So I guess running out for some Pepto is my best bet then?

clav

Darkmakaimura said:
No, no signs of 'heart attack'. I've had heartburn for years now.

BTW, see my post above why milk is not a good idea.

So I guess running out for some Pepto is my best bet then?
Tums works as well.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Already-Dead-e1263400503343.jpg

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I get heartburn often and Tums gives me instant relief.

mrkgoo

I,ve heard crackers and stuff do well. It's the baking soda.

I once tried an irreversible proton pump inhibitor, and that worked REALLY well.

mrkgoo said:
I once tried an irreversible proton pump inhibitor, and that worked REALLY well.
Yeah I take Prilosec (a PPI) and it's still the best thing for heartburn over the long run. I've never really had much luck with Pepto but I haven't taken it in awhile. Guess I should hit the store for some.

Drink a tablespoon of vinegar or cider, seriously. It tastes a bit nasty but it will immediately start to take effect in eliminating heart burn.

Ashhong

Darkmakaimura said:
Doesn't this aggrevate heartburn?

Milk has calcium and protein, and these cause even more acid in the stomach.

I have frequent heartburn, probably like every day. Milk helps for temporary, instant relief.

I find tums helps in a moderate amount of time, and I take Aciphex which helps after the Tums wears off.

Crazyorloco

Isn't prilosec only to be used for two weeks? I get heartburn lot, if I can use it everyday I will. It works great.

D-Pad

Meadows said:

This happens to me, pain in both arms and chest after certain soft-drinks. Why?!

And yes, Pepto gets rid of it...

Sqorgar

Banned
Darkmakaimura said:
Yeah I take Prilosec (a PPI) and it's still the best thing for heartburn over the long run. I've never really had much luck with Pepto but I haven't taken it in awhile. Guess I should hit the store for some.
How frequently do you take it? I've had GERD for pretty much my entire adult life and I've been on Nexium for about ten years. I've recently been told that PPIs have a seriously high risk of osteoporosis and brittle bones. But that's not the bad part. The bad part is that your body develops a need for the PPI and you can't just stop cold turkey. The Nexium Rebound, as they call it, had me literally burping clouds of acid and the pain was excruciating - even with stuff like Zantac and Tums to help me through it. I had to taper off of Nexium slowly over a period of six months and it was not fun.

Long story short, doctors are moving away from frequent PPI prescriptions and going for lifestyle changes (no fried foods, tomato based products, alcohol, caffeinated drinks, tea, or spicy foods) instead.

Crazyorloco said:
Isn't prilosec only to be used for two weeks? I get heartburn lot, if I can use it everyday I will. It works great.
Don't take it every day, but if you mix it up with other stuff, you can prevent your body from becoming addicted to it.

Aselith

Ashhong said:
I have frequent heartburn, probably like every day. Milk helps for temporary, instant relief.

I find tums helps in a moderate amount of time, and I take Aciphex which helps after the Tums wears off.

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/418/main.html

"Contrary to popular belief, milk is not a recommended antidote to heartburn. A glass of milk does provide immediate relief as it goes down, but milk contains calcium and protein, and these eventually stimulate even more acid production in the stomach. This can cause a more severe heartburn that can return in as little as a half an hour."

Ashhong

Aselith said:
http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/418/main.html

"Contrary to popular belief, milk is not a recommended antidote to heartburn. A glass of milk does provide immediate relief as it goes down, but milk contains calcium and protein, and these eventually stimulate even more acid production in the stomach. This can cause a more severe heartburn that can return in as little as a half an hour."

That's right about the time that the Tums kicks in! :lol

Crazyorloco said:

Without a doctor, it's only recommended to have a 14 day regimen every few months.

Many patients use PPIs for months at a time under doctor's orders.

Sqorgar said:
How frequently do you take it? I've had GERD for pretty much my entire adult life and I've been on Nexium for about ten years. I've recently been told that PPIs have a seriously high risk of osteoporosis and brittle bones. But that's not the bad part. The bad part is that your body develops a need for the PPI and you can't just stop cold turkey. The Nexium Rebound, as they call it, had me literally burping clouds of acid and the pain was excruciating - even with stuff like Zantac and Tums to help me through it. I had to taper off of Nexium slowly over a period of six months and it was not fun.

Long story short, doctors are moving away from frequent PPI prescriptions and going for lifestyle changes (no fried foods, tomato based products, alcohol, caffeinated drinks, tea, or spicy foods) instead.

No spicy foods is the deal breaker for me. Is it my weak European genetics!? >:|

And to OP, OTC stuff may work for a while; but if the heartburn is persistent you really need to see a doctor. I tried all the OTC solutions and none of them helped long term, and IIRC the Prilosec gave me horrible headaches so I couldn't take that.

Nexium is what I'm on now and a low 20mg IIRC dose daily keeps me from burning up.

TylerD

Counteract your heartburn with habenero peppers. Blend them up with a couple of ounces of Sriracha, that should take care of it.

Tum tum tum TUMS.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I was having horrible heartburn but then I gave up Diet Coke and all carbonation in general.

It completely went away! I can do spicy foods no problem also. Still can't even touch anything carbonated without it coming back though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Darkmakaimura said:
So, I suffer from a lot of heartburn. I take Prilosec and it has helped tremendously. Last night, I went out for a little drinking (wasn't drunk) and came home and went to sleep. Today, I have some annoying heartburn. It's not horrible, but it's enough to prevent me from going to lunch. Any advice on what would be good to remedy this right now? Pepto Bismol or...?
You need to see a GI doctor for future care. You don't want to take OTC stuff more than a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom