• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE scores - issue 219 - October 2010

Searched and couldn't find a thread, so here's the scores and some snippets from the October issue of EDGE;

Hype;

Dead Rising 2 (360, PS3, PC)
Halo: Reach (360)
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (360, PS3, PC)
Star Wars: The Old Republic (PC)
Skulls of the Shogun (360)
Fable III (360)
Super Scriblenauts (DS)
Pac-Man Battle Royale (Coin-op)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
Conduit 2 (Wii)
Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley (360)

Articles;

Vanquish
Rock Band 3
EA
An audience with Alex Garland
Rare Vintage

Time Extended;

Tomb Raider II

Making of;

Harvest Moon

Reviews;

Metroid: Other M - [8]

Other M dabbles in cinematic tricks and sensational set pieces, but it's strength is in it's foundations; it builds an enveloping 3d world from straight lines and right angles, and ups the gears of it's rewarding basic constantly. It offers an uncluttered slice of sci-fi action, a singular take on the 3rd person adventure, and a combat system of pared-down beauty. Team Ninja had good material to work with, but the studio's own contribution is a fine complement indeed.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 - [6]

With Peace Walker having so recently demonstrated what can be done when a complex, home console series is carefully adapted to PSP, Valkyria Chronicles feels like a missed oppertunity. It's battle system still provides an excellent alternative to the rigid chess boards of many a strategy RPG, but one that feels comprimised rather than optimised for it's new setting. There's nothing wrong with heading back to school, but Valkyria Chronicles was already qualified.

Mafia II - [6]

There is, perhaps, a metagame moral in Mafia II's open-world teasing. It reminds us that the best sandbox stories are still within the reach of good writers rather than frivolous player-agency. Though 2K Czech's operation doesn't run entirely smoothly, there's a definite spark of potential and the roots of an abandoned attempt to engineer something more than throwaway entertainment. Like the characters it portrays, Mafia II expects loyalty to it's blinkered cause but unfourtunetly, in a more fatal parallel, it also falls pray to the offer of easy money and some cheap thrills.

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days - [6]

As with many games. the blights and blemishes are partly concealed by playing it through in co-op, and there are extensive and intriguing multiplayer modes in the package, too. But as a single player experience, Dog Days feel underdeveloped. It's most striking ideas don't fulfill their promise, and it's successes are etched by pervasive minor flaws. The towering, terrifying city and the lens through which it is shot, drag you onward through the game's lesser parts. but you sense that the real crime in this whole bloody escapade is that it doesn't live up to it's dark flashes of imagination.

Puzzle Quest 2 - [6]

It'd be easy to punch holes in Puzzle Quest 2 for not moving the match-three vehicle farther down the road, but it's not a series that's stalled, just one build on a concept that hasn't really moved on. The gems that this sequel is connecting - the RPG and match-three puzzler - still need one more to complete their chain; character.

Ruse - [8]

Eugen's real triumph has been in packaging the games complexities in an entirely accessible manner. By cross-developing for PC and console, the French developer has found a way to facilitate deep strategy on just a handful of buttons, streamlining the interface at little cost to the tactician. The conservative setting and lack of an engaging storyline may do little to excite RTS veterans but, in it's ruleset, Ruse expands upon the genre in a way that goes beyond gimmick. As a result, it's deserving of a wider audience than recently released high-profile rivals might allow for.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - [6]

As the more intimate title suggests, this may be as much about Croft's brand awareness in the face of unprecedented (and Uncharted) competition. It certainly gets the job done in the gap between boxed released, but you can't resist the feeling that the series about grand adventure should be scaling greater heights.

Tom Clancy's HAWX 2 - [5]

A game about the most ridiculous form of human-on-human combat, HAWX 2 should be anything but pedestrian. But in miring the action in a crayon-written plot, and applying air brakes to anything going too fast, the screaming thrills it does provide are the exception, not the norm.

Guwange - [8]

Guwange appears the most accessible of Cave's late 90's output, even if the latter stages of the game will require a combination of dedicated practice and natural skill to overcome. That said, there are no concessions to the newcomer. The game is designed exclusively for score attack or single credit runs, it's stern Japanese arcade mentality unmoved by the jump to console and a potentially wider audience with no extra credits or easier modes. Despite all this, the game remains enthralling and the fully featured leaderboards will obsess and delight those skilled or patient enough to excel at it.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World - [6]

Too calculated to be a truly sympathetic adaption, what Scott Pilgrim is missing in inspiration it makes up for - inappropriately - with sheer professionalism. It may be quietly lacking when it comes to the ad-libbed charm of the source material, but this is still a detailed and intelligent fraud; a slice of cool, corporate entertainment for an audience that probably sees no contradiction with that notion.

Ace Combat: Joint Assault - [6]

Murky, muted visuals and a lack of ground details let's the games presentation down, but the satisfying combat and customisation - especially when you unlock the Tune menu, which lets you add custom parts to your aircraft - do their best to hold your attention despite the frequently repeating missions.

Shank - [6]

Like the movies that doubtless inspired it, Shank ultimately has more style than substance. It looks fantastic, but it's hardly a lengthy game and it does little to trouble your brain. As throwaway entertainment goes, it's solid popcorn stuff.

That's a lot of sixes.

Pooya

With Peace Walker having so recently demonstrated what can be done when a complex, home console series is carefully adapted to PSP, Valkyria Chronicles feels like a missed oppertunity. It's battle system still provides an excellent alternative to the rigid chess boards of many a strategy RPG, but one that feels comprimised rather than optimised for it's new setting. There's nothing wrong with heading back to school, but Valkyria Chronicles was already qualified.
icecold :lol

Dynoro

Can't say I agree with the Lara Croft score as I thought the game did push into new territory quite well and managed to appeal to non-Tomb Raider players but yeah it should have possibly been more ambitious.

Katana_Strikes said:
RUSE is suprising me. Hopefully I can get into the demo.

I'm stoked. Finally a good RTS for consoles AND I can play it with Move ... :D

Looks like we'll have to wait for another month before Edge reviews anything Move, eh?

DMeisterJ

Banned
R.U.S.E. is definitely on my radar now, especially with Move support... A competently controlled RTS on consoles? Sign me up!

MMaRsu

Banned
What nonsense in the Mafia 2 review. They must have played the Ps3 version.

It's also not a sandbox game.

Corto

It's the Beast issue!!!! The End is Neigh! Repent gamers.

On other news RUSE appears to be the true sleeper hit of Sony's Move. Wich is nice.

fr4nz

here is the cover :

219coverSMALL.png

Eugen's real triumph has been in packaging the games complexities in an entirely accessible manner. By cross-developing for PC and console, the French developer has found a way to facilitate deep strategy on just a handful of buttons, streamlining the interface at little cost to the tactician. The conservative setting and lack of an engaging storyline may do little to excite RTS veterans but, in it's ruleset, Ruse expands upon the genre in a way that goes beyond gimmick. As a result, it's deserving of a wider audience than recently released high-profile rivals might allow for.

Damning with faint praise indeed.

Sipowicz

Banned
Spiegel said:
First game scored only one point higher (7)

that's good to know. i'm still getting it it got good scores from other decent outlets

but the text makes it sound like they made it crapper just because it's a handheld game which i think a lot of people were worried about

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
RUSE is getting lots of praise for a console RTS.

yurinka

WTF I expected better scores for Valkyria Chronicles, Scott Pilgrim and Shank. Specially the last 2, games that I'm playing right now and feel so good.

GhaleonQ

As always, the numbers feel like they were drawn from a hat. "Low" or "high," they always seem random. I don't understand Edge.

GhaleonQ said:
As always, the numbers feel like they were drawn from a hat. "Low" or "high," they always seem random. I don't understand Edge.
They support their numbers with a detailed review text. Reading one of those may actually shed light on this ongoing enigma.

anddo0

I'm set to purchase this no matter what. I didn't expect VC to compare to it's PS3 counterpart.. And comparing it to PW isn't fair either.. I mean it's f'n Metal Gear.

Mafia II - [6]

Seems about right.... Never had a good feeling about this game.

Ruse - [8]

Very pleased.. The PS3 demo later today will determine my purchase.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World - [6]

Seem about right, good not great game.

Ace Combat: Joint Assault - [6]

Very disappointed about the ground visuals... At least the gameplay seems to be there.

markao

MMaRsu said:
What nonsense in the Mafia 2 review. They must have played the Ps3 version.

It's also not a sandbox game.
Read a bit more of it on their web site, they do not say is is a sandbox game.

EDGE - Mafia II Review

And after just finishing it, I mostly agree with their assessment of the game,I would just rate it a fraction higher, as I had less problems with the story then they did.

sublimit said:
They gave a 7 (lol) to the first VC so a 6 for VC2 isn't very surprising.
I agree VC is a 7. It's fun to play the missions but skipping through all the silly cutscenes gets quite tiresome.

People don't seem to realise that a 7 in Edge counts as a great, solid game and 6 is good...fucking Gamesmaster and CVG just give every game 96%, I stopped buying those magazines after purchasing Enter The Matrix based on their 90%+ reviews D:

Top Bottom