• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo increased presence at Toys R Us for Holidays

Chairhome

Just passed by Toys R Us and thought this was interesting. Mock if old/not thread-worthy.

Its like they're finally trying. Two aisles wide, all three 3ds models, 2 Wii U stations with newer vids (including Smash Bros Trailer) with another wii u station at another end cap, lots of signage, some floating boxes and a giant mario standee.

Jeels

That's actually pretty impressive considering how small the gaming sections in general are in lots of Toys R Us.

ajjow

im in new york.
at toy r us in times square u could see a big showing from nintendo but no one seemed to care. it was completely deserted area. sony and microsoft killed any interest people could have at nintendo zone.
im really worried because a see piles of wii u every place i go. Chicago was the same. they not moving systems.

Dukey

Banned
They have the best games available and their consoles are readily available as well in bundle-form. It's now or never for the Wii U. I contributed to it this week - Wii U Mario bundle + 3D World + Zelda WWHD.

It's an intelligent place to push for increased visibility. Aside from the obvious (being aimed at a younger audience or people buying gifts for a younger audience), PS4 and especially XB1 have probably priced themselves outside the range most people are looking to spend at a Toys R Us at the moment, so they're not likely to come in and try to shout out Nintendo with their marketing there the way they would in Targets or Best Buys.

Tan

That's actually pretty impressive considering how small the gaming sections in general are in lots of Toys R Us.

Yeah, this display would probably take up all the space of the gaming section of the closest Toys R Us near my house.

jackal27

Banned
They've also been training representatives that are staying in the electronics sections of Toys R Us stores. I talked to one 2 days ago.

So I was in gamestop yesterday morning an a man, about 35 or so asked the guy at the counter for a copy of the new SM3DWorld. I'm 27 for reference

I said "wow.. I kinda wish I had a Wii U so I could play that"

He said "yea my son really enjoys his"

.... :(

antonz

Guessing Nintendo was waiting for the launch of everything else to really push systems

Iwata awhile back basically said they sat on any form of Wii U advertising and basically let it rot because prior to Pokemon launch they were focused on the 3DS.

Stupid in my mind but they apparently think this will work for them now that they are Wii U focused

bjork

Last time I was in my TRU, they had a cardboard archway for Infinity. It was uneven and looked like it was going to fall over. At least this stuff is neat and clean looking.

Persona7

Banned
Skyward Sword

Thanks. That is interesting, and strange because I have not noticed that game in any retail space for a while now. I still see the DS zelda games but Skyward Sword is nowhere to be found. I still see Metroid : Other M, Rhythm Heaven, Sin and Punishment 2 and other games you would think to be long gone.

So I was in gamestop yesterday morning an a man, about 35 or so asked the guy at the counter for a copy of the new SM3DWorld. I'm 27 for reference

There's no doubt the game is targeted at younger players. But that's no reason you can't enjoy it.

Esque7

I saw a SM3DW commercial at the theater before The Hunger Games Catching Fire today. Also saw a Killzone one too...

good thing for nintendo.

they definately should push promotion in Toys R us, best buy, gamestop etc.

out of curiosity how many NSMBU+NSLU bundles were there?

Rootbeer

Banned
Last time I was in my TRU, they had a cardboard archway for Infinity. It was uneven and looked like it was going to fall over. At least this stuff is neat and clean looking.

Same... I go to the Toys R Us next to the Pixar studios, you'd think it would be pretty nice but no, I'd never see a nice setup like this in there.

Looks fantastic, hope they sell a lot of stuff this holiday.

Oh shit that actually looks really impressive. Nintendo is finally stepping it up. Good for them, because more people need to play the glorious game that is SM3DW.

Saw a big Christmas tree - like cardboard in a store on friday, it was full of WiiU boxes and a giant cat Mario was printed on it. On the other hand there was nothing for the Xbone and the consoles were hiding under some 360 games.

ElNino

I'm giving the game to my son for either Christmas or his birthday (mid-December). We love playing the Mario games together (Wii and Wii U) and he loved 3D Land on his 3DS so I'm sure we will have a blast playing this one.

It's pretty much the only game my wife will play with us as well.

Top Bottom