• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why has From Software not ported/re-released Metal Wolf Chaos?

Psxphile

The first level is awesome, and then the game turns into shit as you keep running out of ammo all the time and the flaws of the game really show.

Sounds like it could really use some of that old-school WD-style gameplay balancing.

massoluk

Banned
A Kickstarter for an import? o_O

Anyway, I do understand From's reluctance a bit since it's hard to tell when you're dealing with a different culture what the difference between awesome over-the-top tropes and horribly insulting stereotypes are. Since they made the president the hero, I don't think they'll have much trouble, assuming the story doesn't have a crazy twist towards the end.

USA survived "That's My Bush", I think it can survive this game.

androvsky

USA survived "That's My Bush", I think it can survive this game.
I seem to recall a fair amount of bitching about that show, but if anyone makes a stink about this, it'll mainly be people who don't play video games anyway. I don't think anyone would get upset, really. No one batted an eye over Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love's interesting portrayal of 1930's Harlem, I'm sure Metal Wolf Chaos will be fine.

daegan

But the point is they wouldn't even have to affect their production line at all. We were offering to handle the port completely with just them overseeing as executive producers. Since we didn't really want to change the core game or acting, etc, it was pretty much a straight port and re-skinning. Not a big deal. The mindset is the problem.

Do they know that there are people who genuinely want it over here? If I just start mailing $5 bills to them will they get the hint? (That's not even a joke, but seriously, aside from "lol online petitions" how can we show that we want to shovel money at this?)

cj_iwakura

Do they know that there are people who genuinely want it over here? If I just start mailing $5 bills to them will they get the hint? (That's not even a joke, but seriously, aside from "lol online petitions" how can we show that we want to shovel money at this?)

Kickstarter for Metal Wolf Chaos HD. Money talks.

And I'd back it up.

Karuto

I actually intend to meet with From Software at this upcoming E3, and one of the things I will be bringing with me is a paper full of questions about follow-ups to some of my favorite older games to companies like them.

For From Software, it basically comes down to, "Where is Otogi 3?" and "May we have Metal Wolf Chaos on XBLA?"

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I always assumed that releasing a game in 2004 about the American President trying to kill the Vice President at a time where the Vice President was basically living in a bunker (and also kind of an asshole) was probably not worth it.

I heard that it was being localised at one point but my initial question was "so... how will they change the president gunning down waves of helicoptered marines on the lawn of the Whitehouse?"

Game is crazy - good crazy. From Software have become gods over the years. Otogi 1 + 2 were good efforts as well.

Sigh - I sold my copy to Chris Kohler. What WAS i thinking?!?

Wreckless 2 looks better than a lot of current gen games.

runs at 720p as well. Unless i'm tripping and misremembering. The graphics guy on that game made some crazy PC demo thing that i stumbled across recently looking at reflections and effects. It was suitably insane looking.

haha, brings back memories of the fanboy "PS2 could do Wreckless" arguments. An argument that died a horrible death with the PS2 release of Wreckless!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Xbox seems to have had a handful of interesting Japan-only exclusive games that are next to impossible to find any information on...
Magatama
and of course this game. Any others that people know of?

Magatama is on Japan XBL's games on demand, FYI. I remember there being themes and avatar/gamertag images tied with it and a whole bunch of other X-box 180 releases on the launch of that service.

Lyriell

18-girls_pw_style-img433x600-1197652464girls12.14__69_.jpg

Billy Mitchell on the right??!??

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Jesus they look awful. Glad they stayed in Japan.

Dinosaur Hunting is surprisingly solid, the others are all pretty horrible - especially Muzzle Flash.

MWC was the stand out title that was exclusive to Japan. Psyvaria 2 is a decent shmup as well of course.

TheSeks

Dinosaur Hunting is surprisingly solid, the others are all pretty horrible - especially Muzzle Flash.

MWC was the stand out title that was exclusive to Japan. Psyvaria 2 is a decent shmup as well of course.

I dunno. SMT:9 sounded like it was before it's time. If HG101 is right, it does some things that FFXII would do 3-4 years later on the PS2. I've kinda wanted to play it because of that.

Also there is some 720p X-box games, yeah. IIRC Ninja Gaiden Black and the vanilla Ninja Gaiden are two of them. I dunno if they're native or upscaled like "HD" twins HD games are or what though.

cj_iwakura

I dunno. SMT:9 sounded like it was before it's time. If HG101 is right, it does some things that FFXII would do 3-4 years later on the PS2. I've kinda wanted to play it because of that.

It was a half-finished project that was supposed to have an online compoent that never happened.

SMT Imagine does what NINE attempted to far, far better.

smt9-6a.jpg

I'd play it given the chance, but it's supposedly a very unpleasant experience.

Karuto

I played a solid 20 hours of Shin Megami Tensei Imagine.

Stay as far away as you possibly can.... stick to the console versions.

cj_iwakura

I played a solid 10 hours of Shin Megami Tensei Imagine.

Stay as far away as you possibly can....

10 hours? I played it for ten months.

:(

To be fair, it's not a horrible game. It has fun combat, it's just extremely repetitive, but it did nail the atmosphere and music.

TheSeks

I played a solid 20 hours of Shin Megami Tensei Imagine.

Stay as far away as you possibly can.... stick to the console versions.

Really? I kinda want to dick about with Imagine but have nothing capable of running it other than a laptop that would overheat and explode from it. :/

*ahem* In any case, CJ: Modding an X-box is incredibly easy if you have Splinter Cell/Mech Assault or Agent Under Fire. And since XBL has been dead for a good three years there is no reason not to mod the X-boxes anymore.

cj_iwakura

Really? I kinda want to dick about with Imagine but have nothing capable of running it other than a laptop that would overheat and explode from it. :/

*ahem* In any case, CJ: Modding an X-box is incredibly easy if you have Splinter Cell/Mech Assault or Agent Under Fire. And since XBL has been dead for a good three years there is no reason not to mod the X-boxes anymore.

I don't. :( (Fun fact: I never had XBL, and I bought my Xbox when Doom 3 came out. Got it just for the 1p games.)

Karuto

10 hours? I played it for ten months.

:(

To be fair, it's not a horrible game. It has fun combat, it's just extremely repetitive, but it did nail the atmosphere and music.

Hah, sorry, I edited my original post because I remember I played it over an entire weekend, so 10 hours felt small. I don't think it's a horrible game either, but it does a disservice to the series and wasn't very well done. It certainly does look like a SMT game and loved the character and creature designs, but it was bogged down by so many mechanics and heavy text that it wasn't enjoyable.

@TheSeks - You can give it a try, but there's a reason not many people talk about it on this forum. It has its share of fans, but I think they like it more for the fact that it is an SMT game and not because it is a good MMO. Series loyalty, I suppose.

cj_iwakura

Hah, sorry, I edited my original post because I remember I played it over an entire weekend, so 10 hours felt small. I don't think it's a horrible game either, but it does a disservice to the series and wasn't very well done. It certainly does look like a SMT game and loved the character and creature designs, but it was bogged down by so many mechanics and heavy text that it wasn't enjoyable.

Most of the music was remixed from classic SMT games. I'm still curious how Atlus decided to let Cave of all people handle that game.

TheSeks

I don't. :( (Fun fact: I never had XBL, and I bought my Xbox when Doom 3 came out. Got it just for the 1p games.)

What!? Mech Assault was pretty fun for the time and Splinter Cell was one of the better tech demo games on the system. It's worth tracking one of them (but Mech Assault is easier apparently since you have to get a certain version of SC to use) down. AUF wasn't good and like SC it needs a certain disc. I'm sure you could probably get these for less than $10 on Ebay or elsewhere since the X-box has been "dead" for a while.

If there was an English patch for MWC I'd probably attempt to hunt down a copy and play it. But it isn't huge on my list of priorities since From Software games are kinda clunky. I didn't like Otogi for instance despite all the praise it gets from other X-box fans.

cj_iwakura

What!? Mech Assault was pretty fun for the time and Splinter Cell was one of the better tech demo games on the system. It's worth tracking one of them (but Mech Assault is easier apparently since you have to get a certain version of SC to use) down. AUF wasn't good and like SC it needs a certain disc. I'm sure you could probably get these for less than $10 on Ebay or elsewhere since the X-box has been "dead" for a while.

Is there a reputable guide to it anywhere? If I can play some Metal Wolf Chaos on my Xbox, I'll pursue it.

d0c_zaius

Dept. of Homeland security would not approve.

But OP, I like you for bringing this game back from the grave.

Because, despite the premise, the game is not very good.

Hey its not that bad! You got the Otogi engine for destroying shit, a mech suit with a bunch of guns and some goofy dialogue/plot.

Although you can just watch the long trailer on youtube and pretty much enjoy the game just as much. So yea....I guess its not very good haha.

MC Safety

The Xbox seems to have had a handful of interesting Japan-only exclusive games that are next to impossible to find any information on...
Wreckless 2
Shin Megami Tensei Nine
Magatama
Dinosaur Hunting
Muzzle Flash
and of course this game. Any others that people know of?

We reviewed Dinosaur Hunting when Xbox Nation was being published. It was localized and everything, and we always wondered why it didn't come out.

(I mean, we got a reviewable build and after the fact were told the game was delayed.)

Nevertheless, I don't think you missed anything.

TheSeks

Is there a reputable guide to it anywhere? If I can play some Metal Wolf Chaos on my Xbox, I'll pursue it.

I'm not sure if the links in this "guide" still works but it has the basic gist. AFAIK Xbins is still around and should have the files you need.

You'll need to hunt down an Action Replay or similar device for the X-boxs memory card bit, and the AR doesn't have a Win Vista or 7 version (since it obviously came out in the XP era) so you'll need an XP computer or lower to use the app there but the mod itself is completely easy.

cj_iwakura

Any game with this line:

Suck on my missile punch!

Belongs in everyone's library.

metalwolfchaos-2a.jpg

I'm not sure if the links in this "guide" still works but it has the basic gist. AFAIK Xbins is still around and should have the files you need.

You'll need to hunt down an Action Replay or similar device for the X-boxs memory card bit, and the AR doesn't have a Win Vista or 7 version (since it obviously came out in the XP era) so you'll need an XP computer or lower to use the app there but the mod itself is completely easy.

That seems complicated. :( I suppose a Japanese Xbox can't be too costly...

Karuto

TheSeks said:

Well, you don't really need to track down Splinter Cell since it's been not only on the PC but released as an HD Collection. However, I feel that the game is very, very dated. Really hard to get into the stealth action genre when it's so slow moving and the AI can be a bit of a mess. Looking at it now, you may not be as impressed as you were a decade ago.

@TheSeks - Did you ever play Otogi 2? It cleaned up a lot of the problems of the first and had multiple characters to choose from. Tsuna <3

sonicmj1

Metal Wolf Chaos isn't a fantastic game, but there's certainly enough value in it to make it worth bringing over. The dual wielding leads to some interesting and fun combinations, even if weapon switching is a little clunky, and the hover/boost elements are good. The gameplay would have to be totally broken to cancel out the joy of the premise and voice acting, and that isn't the case from what I've played.

I can sort of understand the perspective From has (even if it's rooted in a position of ignorance), but they're only hurting themselves by not putting this on XBLA.

TheSeks

That seems complicated. :( I suppose a Japanese Xbox can't be too costly...

It's not that complicated.

1. Get on irc
2. Get files from X-bins
3. Put files on memory card
4. Boot game of choice with files for game of choice on X-box harddrive.
5. BUFFER OVERFLOW/Exploit.
6. Back up C:/ and Flashrom (should be put on C:/Backup IIRC)
7. Install dashboard with EvoX.
8. wait
9. ???
10. PROFIT!

And no, I didn't give Otogi 2 a chance since Otogi 1 was a terrible terrible experience for me.

Karuto

Because, despite the premise, the game is not very good.

I think plenty of people would pick it up for the novelty value more than anything. Not a real good game, but certainly above average from what I've played and seen of it.

TheSeks said:
And no, I didn't give Otogi 2 a chance since Otogi 1 was a terrible terrible experience for me.

Aw, you need to! I thought Otogi 1 had a lot of faults as well but the second was great. I mean, it even has a Nine-Tails Demon Fox in it. :D

We reviewed Dinosaur Hunting when Xbox Nation was being published. It was localized and everything, and we always wondered why it didn't come out.

(I mean, we got a reviewable build and after the fact were told the game was delayed.)

Nevertheless, I don't think you missed anything.

The other 5 places that reviewed it seemed to like it...

http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox/917952-dinosaur-hunting/index.html

It looks like it could have been good cheesy fun, like EDF2017.

cj_iwakura

It's not that complicated.

1. Get on irc
2. Get files from X-bins
3. Put files on memory card
4. Boot game of choice with files for game of choice on X-box harddrive.
5. BUFFER OVERFLOW/Exploit.
6. Back up C:/ and Flashrom (should be put on C:/Backup IIRC)
7. Install dashboard with EvoX.
8. wait
9. ???
10. PROFIT!

Steps 5-7 made my head hurt.

Do Japanese discs just work off the bat if you pull that off?

Vic, thank you for your efforts to bring this over here. I know I would donate a chunk of change to kickstart this and Otogi 1/2 for digital services!

TheSeks

Steps 5-7 made my head hurt.

Do Japanese discs just work off the bat if you pull that off?

Should. If they don't put them on the harddisc via the rip app in EvoX and then run them off the harddrive. Simple.

TheSeks

would also like to see a release of Rent-a-Hero No. 1

the translation was done!

It seems there was a bunch of these games that were translated but scrapped at the 11th hour. I'd love to know why and someone should come forward with the info.

That said: I'd also like to see these leak, but I'd doubt that'll happen and if it did it wouldn't be big news since there is no X-box emulator for the masses to run them.

atomsk

Party Pooper
It seems there was a bunch of these games that were translated but scrapped at the 11th hour. I'd love to know why and someone should come forward with the info.

That said: I'd also like to see these leak, but I'd doubt that'll happen and if it did it wouldn't be big news since there is no X-box emulator for the masses to run them.

not entirely sure the GAF policy on "never released" games, but R-A-H translated did indeed leak

though not sure how easy it is to find these days

Yuterald

I'd kill for an update/port of Metal Wolf Chaos to PSN or wherever the fuck it needs to go. I do have a copy of the game (in some fashion), but I need to mod an original XBOX to play it.

More importantly though, I think From Software of whoever makes the decision regarding PSone games on the store and PS2 classics should get their old catalog rolling. We need the following to happen:

*Bring King's Field II & III and Shadow Tower (which are KF I & II in NA) to the PSone store.
*Bring King's Field IV: The Ancient City to the PS2 Classics store.

OR

*Put King's Field: The Ancient City & Shadow Tower Abyss (translated) onto an HD collection (or separate as downloads).

Demon's/Dark Souls have made From the cool kids in town. It's time for players to show their respect and check out their older games so they can appreciate what they have now. I really do hope From doesn't forget their roots. King's Field and Shadow Tower made what Demon's and Dark Souls is today. I think gamers who missed out on these titles would really dig them now.

I've said it before, if this is really what Japanese people think America is like, then AWESOME.

"Cancel all my appointments. I'm going to go SAVE AMERICA!!"

Top Bottom