• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

I think I'm going to wait for open beta before dropping cash. I like the game as it is now but in the recent Gwent stream previewing whats ahead it looks like they're changing a lot of core mechanics.

Yeah that's probably smart. As I mentioned above they're changing so much I'm not even sure if I'll like what the game will be after the changes. Like how 7.0 actually made me not want to play Dota since everything changed so much.
grave.gif

Eric WK

I would love to know whether Ranked Rewards are regional or global.

Haven't played in a month and I'm at about 1500 Global. Not sure whether I want to push or not.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think it'll always be niche but it could still be profitable for CDPR.

Awesome!

Not sure how I feel about Faction abilities being removed. Leaning towards not agreeing with it. During the closed beta I pulled out some clutch wins because of them

I will miss them, but I think there is more flexibility in the game now

NGs ability was too good and is now universal which is awesome

Love how they are adding things like armour.

Sorian

Banned
Finally time for me to come back? Guess I'll log in tomorrow and see what rank I fell too ever since persona took over my life. Wonder if I can salvage top 100.

Finally time for me to come back? Guess I'll log in tomorrow and see what rank I fell too ever since persona took over my life. Wonder if I can salvage top 100.

You're top 300 right now:

https://gwent.io/en-US/leaderboard?q=sorian

This site got linked to me through hg3's stream. The ladder functionality alone is so much better than what's in the client.

Also I finished Persona 5 recently too. I think I preferred P4G's ending/twists/epilogue section, but overall P5 with the UI/hand-crafted dungeons/overall polish is by far the better game.

Sorian

Banned
You're top 300 right now:

https://gwent.io/en-US/leaderboard?q=sorian

This site got linked to me through hg3's stream. The ladder functionality alone is so much better than what's in the client.

Also I finished Persona 5 recently too. I think I preferred P4G's ending/twists/epilogue section, but overall P5 with the UI/hand-crafted dungeons/overall polish is by far the better game.

Hmm, not as far behind as I was expecting, excellent.

And yeah, P4 was the better overall story but P5's last twist was the best thing ever.

i've fallen to practically #2k na, so in order to console myself, the badges for top 1000 are based on the global leaderboard, not the regional ones, right?

Hmm. Went to gwentdb to pull a random deck since I am out of practice. Moren Operator ST deck by guy who reached Top 5 with it doesn't seem like it suits me since I'm losing more than I am winning with it. In the end lost 100 mmr from where I started, and am out of top 1000 again -_-;

Any of you old timers here have recommendations as to what to play? During Challenger quals I felt like Henselt was the strongest deck, maybe I'll just go play my Challenger Henselt again and see how that takes me.

Sorian

Banned
Hmm. Went to gwentdb to pull a random deck since I am out of practice. Moren Operator ST deck by guy who reached Top 5 with it doesn't seem like it suits me since I'm losing more than I am winning with it. In the end lost 100 mmr from where I started, and am out of top 1000 again -_-;

Any of you old timers here have recommendations as to what to play? During Challenger quals I felt like Henselt was the strongest deck, maybe I'll just go play my Challenger Henselt again and see how that takes me.

Will be in the same boat I'm sure and wonder if it's worth me risking dropping a bit before closed beta ends. Didn't even get to play in challenger since a family emergency landed on me that week.

JustinBB7

I've been using this one:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/17407-upt-5-3k-mmr-top-1-south-america-st-control

Got me to like 505 recently. Now I'm at 590 looks like. But I'm too scared to play more so I'll just stay here and get the top 1000 reward and not try for top 500. Too scared to drop out of top 1000 lol.

https://gwent.io/en-US/user/JustinBB7

Spend
bountyrune.gif
to buy kegs! You'll get to reopen them again next week anyway.

It's been a while since I had to worry about cards for decks, but I think warcry Skellige is still pretty effective without any legendaries. (Wild Boar, Birna, Ermion etc are fine).

I thought that you only get kegs back that you bought with real money during closed beta.

I was under the impression after reading the dev post that you wouldn't get kegs in open beta that you spent ore on during closed.

Sorian

Banned
I thought that you only get kegs back that you bought with real money during closed beta.

I was under the impression after reading the dev post that you wouldn't get kegs in open beta that you spent ore on during closed.

This is correct, kegs back will only be from real money or earned through level and rank landmarks.

I think I'm going to miss a bit the planning needed with the weather cards, as it affected both rows. I hope they introduce later new weather cards with the same effect of affected friendly and enemy rows.

I think it'll always be niche but it could still be profitable for CDPR.

I have a pretty good feeling about it. Certainly doesn't have the initial pull of a new Blizzard game or whatever but neither did Witcher 3 and we know the success story that followed.

Kinda iffy on the weather changes. Like, I overall like the direction of damage over time instead of just dropping everything down to 1, but still feel like it should affect both sides of the board. Wouldn't Monsters need it to be that way for some of their cards to work?

Kinda iffy on the weather changes. Like, I overall like the direction of damage over time instead of just dropping everything down to 1, but still feel like it should affect both sides of the board. Wouldn't Monsters need it to be that way for some of their cards to work?

I was under the impression that they would still affect both rows honestly, the tool tip language is a bit ambiguous I think. Need to see it in action.

Weather affects one side, but I bet there are cards to change thaf

There will be cards to amplify weather effects too

It all allows them to better add on to content in the future

JustinBB7

Hm, slowly dropping on the leaderboard. #606 now. I won't drop 400 spots before monday when the servers go down will I... I really don't wanna risk it so late... I dropped like 16 spots in like 10 hours or something.

Hm, slowly dropping on the leaderboard. #606 now. I won't drop 400 spots before monday when the servers go down will I... I really don't wanna risk it so late... I dropped like 16 spots in like 10 hours or something.

I'll be grinding, as will no shortage of people I assume. I did go from 1000+ to 560 ish in just 200 mmr or so, so I don't think your position is very secure.

Haly

I have a pretty good feeling about it. Certainly doesn't have the initial pull of a new Blizzard game or whatever but neither did Witcher 3 and we know the success story that followed.
It's less about brand pull so much as that Gwent is very algebra and decision heavy compared to Hearthstone. The reason why Lifecoach prefers Gwent to Hearthstone is precisely the same reason that Hearthstone will always be more immediately appealing to your average person. CDPR seems to be aware of this and is adding more "interaction" in the open beta but I feel there will always be a complexity wall that will be hard to overcome. Turn 1 in Gwent, for example, is massively more complex than most turns in Hearthstone.

JustinBB7

I'll be grinding, as will no shortage of people I assume. I did go from 1000+ to 560 ish in just 200 mmr or so, so I don't think your position is very secure.

It's so back and forth though, the higher you get the less points you get for a win and losses give you -502092. So I'll see where I am tomorrow night I guess.

JustinBB7

#622 now. If I'm 700 tonight I might play. Weekend will be when most people will play so just have to see how fast I drop by not playing. Thought I'd drop harder honestly. Dropped like 32 spots in 24 hours. Don't think I will drop 388 spots in 2 more days then. 3 days left
lets say I drop 50 spots a day because weekend then I'd be 772. If I drop 80 a day I'll be 862.. if I drop 100 a day I'll be 922. Ok don't think I have to play lol.

Also I'll start working on the open beta thread this weekend when I have time and post it on Tuesday I suppose!

Edit: Holy shit, I dropped to like #655 so I was like fuck it, I'll just play one. Control ST deck but didn't have the right draws against consume monster, and he won the first round. I had Ciri in hand but didn't play her yet, scorches wouldn't be enough etc, his board was too far ahead.

Client error: This game has been shut down because of client inconsistencies etc etc. VICTORY! +36mmr and now I'm #564 leaderboard. That should be more than safe for a top 1000 finish. Thank fuck.

Streamers are playing the PTR now!

Haly

I was down on the OBT Gwent but after looking at it being played I'm coming around to it.

They just need to tone down some of the weather spam.

I hope all the streamers playing on the PTR doesn't mean there aren't going to be opponents for me to play against when grinding ranked this weekend...Trying to purposely avoid reading too much about the new changes so I can focus on grinding the existing ladder to a high enough rank.

JustinBB7

Any open beta OT suggestions?

Just some random ones since I can't think of anything else right now, suggestions welcome.

Gwent - Open Beta OT1: Point for me!
Gwent - Open Beta OT1: Gwent 2.0
Gwent - Open Beta OT1: Tunnel Vision
Gwent - Open Beta OT1: Witchers The Gathering
Gwent - Open Beta OT1: Gwent: Heroes Of The Witcher

Haly

I was supposed to say Cate not Tilda I get them confused a lot.

Will this game ever get some form of co-op like in MTG? (2v2, 3v3, 4v4, etc)

One of the reasons I quit Hearthstone, since at launch they said it'll be in a future update but they gave up on it. 1v1 gets too stale.

Makareu

I dont think they ever talked about coop. All we know is that there is an unannounced pvp mode, and there will be a meaty pve content (pretty sure the witcher 3 writers are working on the campaigns).

Haly

Decided to make a real ladder push 2 days before open beta. Milled all of NG and NR to build ST. Might mill Monster soon as well. ST 2 gud.

Top Bottom