• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

One of my favorite city maps visually was Boardwalk.
Too bad the map sucked ass.

halo_reach_map_boardwalk2.jpg

That campaign level had the GOAT human architecture/city feel.

Cranster

Banned
That's one of my biggest gripes with Halo maps post Halo 2. It's beyond annoying when you're trying to get away or bank grenades, but you're constantly hitting some piece of geometry to mess everything up. Why is this still the case??
No idea but I agree with you. It's one of the reasons why I dislike Blackout .In Lockout the skill of bouncing grenades is key at times to draw enemies out of camping spots. With all the visual clutter on the walls in Blackout with physics properties and the stairs instead of ramps grenade bouncing became almost impossible in some situations as the grenade would bounce in a direction you never intended it too or bounce back in your face instead.

Trup1aya

That's one of my biggest gripes with Halo maps post Halo 2. It's beyond annoying when you're trying to get away or bank grenades, but you're constantly hitting some piece of geometry to mess everything up. Why is this still the case??

Yeah, the problems at an all time high now, when you've got enemies surviving perfect rockets because the explosion is happening inside a wall, or you can't bank grenades because they'll get redirected by steps. Forgers have sense enough to lay invisible blocks along staircases to prevent this issue.

TCKaos

Well you're assuming the people designing the maps can strafe or bank grenades. Let's not forget that Bungie's two HD entries into the series had sandboxes designed around slot machines meant to be used while running forward at each other and either engaging armor lock or beating your opponent down.

belushy

Banned
Offtopic (COD, ewwww) but ideas for HCS since I know Tashi reads here!

-----

Tournaments for the COD World League this year.

C7X_oIeXgAAhPdl.jpg

One of the main reasons why I think MLG would be great for Halo, those 2k online tournaments every other week. It would have something frequent that pros will play in (but won't really be negatively effected if they skip them) but its mainly to help build the AM scene, with those teams playing constantly and sometimes even beating pro teams.

Also the tournament structure for the "Global Pro League" is great, and I think HCS should look at doing something similar. Online Pro League was doing well and I enjoyed it but online is a bit unreliable so a "LAN" league could be an alternative in the future game.

Trup1aya

Offtopic (COD, ewwww) but ideas for HCS since I know Tashi reads here!

-----

Tournaments for the COD World League this year.

C7X_oIeXgAAhPdl.jpg

One of the main reasons why I think MLG would be great for Halo, those 2k online tournaments every other week. It would have something frequent that pros will play in (but won't really be negatively effected if they skip them) but its mainly to help build the AM scene, with those teams playing constantly and sometimes even beating pro teams.

Also the tournament structure for the "Global Pro League" is great, and I think HCS should look at doing something similar. Online Pro League was doing well and I enjoyed it but online is a bit unreliable so a "LAN" league could be an alternative in the future game.

The biggest issue hampering the AM scene and dissuading Orgs from getting into Halo esports is the lack of opportunities for teams outside of the top 8 to matchup and compete against pro league teams... and it's by design.

Back in the first season of Pro League ESL basically said they were OPPOSED to the idea of AMs and Pros competiting in HCS tournaments. So we had a relegation finals where after a season of grinding against other AMs a whopping TWO AM teams got to play against Pro Teams.

They and 343 have backed off from that idea and got UGC and Millenial involved, but even at LANs all AMs have to grind through the open, while pros twiddle their thumbs for a day and a half. Only 8 AMs make it to champs, and they get two series against Pros if they're lucky.

Keep in mind Pros have no reason to scrim AMs during the season since the scenes are so segmented.

The best thing about COD and Gears is that teams can earn points throughout the season that qualify them for pool play at LANs. In Halo, this would means top AMs would get more series against Pros. They'd also get more stream time, which would get Orgs more interested in teams outside the top 8.

Madness

Crazy to think the biggest tournament of the year is 4 days away and there's no advertising. What happened?

This HWC 2017 feels sort of like a whatever tournament. Last year we had Hurricane Lethul, Rostermania, then Halo being at X-Games and people seeing it on ESPN, we got the LCQ as almost 35k tuned in to see Flamesword and OpTic compete, Regionals drew a lot of viewers and then we cracked over 100k for worlds etc.

Now it is whatever. Not really excited to watch. Maybe some of the other teams to see how Splyce does. I also don't see any NA team dropping to other teams. Hopefully there is more interest soon.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Idk, I'm pretty hyped. The Las Vegas qualifier had amazing matches and I expect we will see some great ones again. Optic will be tough to take down. Scrimms have been close.

Yeah, the problems at an all time high now, when you've got enemies surviving perfect rockets because the explosion is happening inside a wall, or you can't bank grenades because they'll get redirected by steps. Forgers have sense enough to lay invisible blocks along staircases to prevent this issue.
You mean you don't like this R I V E T I N G gameplay where your Rockets get neutered in obscure pieces of geometry??

jem0208

I just came unfuckingbelievably close to my first ever perfection.

And a guy with a sword killed me when we were at 49 kills.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
0 and 7 today. Can I get some decent teammates? Or ones that stick around?

Updated. Omg.

I think most people just agree all the UNSC maps have a VERY boring art design. Like where is our elongation styled UNSC map? I really loved the space station aesthetic of that map.

Honestly their Forerunner maps hit the same issue, go back to the forerunner ruins style for some of the maps for the love of god, no one likes the see the same design over and over and over. I looked great in H2A!
Yepppppppppppppppppppppp.

The same industrial look really got old fast, especially when 343 doesn't mix in any other variety. Very few alien feeling maps in H5. Truth looks amazing and it's literally the only one of its kind. Regret is supposed to be an alien environment but it doesn't have much feel to me. Tyrant is in space, but even it doesn't feel alien enough to me or even forerunner. And ignoring WZ/BTB, there are no outdoor/wilderness/jungle/ruin style maps to be found. Beaver Creek, Zanzibar, Relic, Valhalla, Isolation, Guardian, snowbound? Nope. And I'm not saying all of those are good maps, but I appreciate the effort.

I thought my 50 marine kills in one game was going to be unbeatable but that record only lasted like one day :'(

If you get the right game I think 80+ is achievable, If my team didn't take all bases again I think I would've hit that easily as we were only 700 or so at the time.

op_ivy

I sware I've been playing since the beginning, but has firing a gun always shown up on radar or is this a halo 5 addition? Never noticed before

op_ivy

So they did the whole Ghost in the Shell Forge competition...

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/ghost-in-the-shell-forge-contest-winners

I came second! :)

Kinda bummed I don't get to go annoy Tashi in person in California, but the 2nd place prize means a seriously cool replica Needler ;)

Really awesome to have all my Forge addiction pay off in some way.

majordisturbance-1-fa909d4c423148598d58be9350e85858.jpg

NICE !!!!!
dditionally, the Spider Tank itself is built extremely well, and even has two exploding barrels inside so that players can mock-destroy it in the middle of a match

op_ivy

In yesterdays Scrimms Liquid beat Optic 8-5 and NV destroyed Splyce 13-0.

splyce is so hit and miss. i could see them getting top 4 at worlds, or 7-8th. then again, this is true for several teams so they arent alone

Trup1aya

Splyce can slay, but their objective efficiency is lacking. Seems to me they focus too much on getting the next kill, instead of blocking the correct spawns and getting the right rotations.

Top Bottom