• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Again, I really don't hear anything in that video that could be classes as "terrible" or even "bad" writing.

Yes. I am aware of this. This was my point. Some people just aren't bothered by terrible writing in games. Most people don't care about it. Largely, it doesn't bother me (considering I played through ME2 multiple times) but I can at least identify it. "This isn't about strategy or tactics. It's about survival" and "The plan? The plan is we FIGHT or we DIE!" is just terrible. The VA clips don't really have a ton of context, but we have context enough on others to call those portions bad. And they are bad.

i-Lo

Anyone else find the use of "A" or "X" button for running, dodging as well taking cover a bit too much? Sometimes the controls didn't respond properly and in a combat situation, it is massively frustrating.

Also, they really need to pull back on the FoV.

I was playing Half Life 2 yesterday and came to realize how good the lip syncing and facial expressions on the characters are. Most importantly their heads and eyeballs move to simulate real people. Skyrim, another vast RPG possesses very good lip syncing if not the whole package life HL. So how come Bioware still can't get it right in the third iteration of the game... Honestly, the stupendous voice works need better avatars to be a proper credit to them.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
We will, I mean, I assume we will. Just saying, like many, that the face importing feature of the ME3 demo is broken. Using the same face code from ME2 won't necessarily work, sometimes to the point of generating a completely different face.

But as jediyoshi said it might not be built to be compatible via the codes, but instead raw data. Or it could be bugged in the demo. Who knows.

I'm sure they will work fine, it looks like they have messed round with what the codes mean between ME2 and ME3, some of my characters codes aren't on the sliders or skip the number they should be.
Or it could just be a demo thing which wasn't built or checked for importing issues as they don't let you in the first place.

I imagine the importing will be perfectly fine, I don't see a reason it shouldn't work fine between ME2 and ME3, it was probably more work to make sure they imported from ME1 to ME2 than it would be for this one.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yes. I am aware of this. This was my point. Some people just aren't bothered by terrible writing in games. Most people don't care about it. Largely, it doesn't bother me (considering I played through ME2 multiple times) but I can at least identify it. "This isn't about strategy or tactics. It's about survival" and "The plan? The plan is we FIGHT or we DIE!" is just terrible. The VA clips don't really have a ton of context, but we have context enough on others to call those portions bad. And they are bad.

ScreenSplitter was directly replying to the notion that the out-of-context lines from the leaked squadmate dialogue were bad, not an assessment of the demo dialogue heard during the two presented levels. I'm not going to defend BioWare's writing in those cases, but it's a bit premature to criticise a single line or two, out of context, for a character nobody has seen in action.

I find that, at this point, BioWare will cop a bum rap for all their writing regardless of whether it is good or not. For example, while I the intro was ripe with cringe worthy junk, I didn't feel any of the dialogue in the second part stood out as particularly bad. Outstanding? No. Nothing worth going crazy for. But not 'fan fiction' bad.

After playing the demo, I don't understand what exactly bioware have been doing for the development period of this game.

Everything that is fun has been in the previous two games, with nothing really feeling improved.

Although the cover system seems more fluid, the animations / dialogue seems so basic, especially when you see what much smaller developers can produce.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
ScreenSplitter was directly replying to the notion that the out-of-context lines from the leaked squadmate dialogue were bad, not an assessment of the demo dialogue heard during the two presented levels. I'm not going to defend BioWare's writing in those cases, but it's a bit premature to criticise a single line or two, out of context, for a character nobody has seen in action.

I find that, at this point, BioWare will cop a bum rap for all their writing regardless of whether it is good or not. For example, while I the intro was ripe with cringe worthy junk, I didn't feel any of the dialogue in the second part stood out as particularly bad. Outstanding? No. Nothing worth going crazy for. But not 'fan fiction' bad.

Well, there really wasn't any dialogue in the second bit to speak of. And BioWare games will always have ardent defenders and vocal dissenters.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, there really wasn't any dialogue in the second bit to speak of. And BioWare games will always have ardent defenders and vocal dissenters.

That doesn't really refute my point that judging a handful of out of context leaked squadmate lines as bad based on completely separate in context lines experienced in the demo is silly.

BigDes

After buying ME 1 and 2 on PC I'm considering making the switch to 360. I never got any of the DLC for ME2 because I occasionally saw sales on the XBox marketplace and kept waiting for something like that on PC, but it never happened, or if it did I wasn't aware of it.

What you could have done was buy the xbox version and then pester EA for them to unlock the pc license for the DLC as it (or at least used to) say that buying the 360 DLC also unlocked it for the pc.

Which EA are happy to do if you ask them nicely

One part I loved;

Wrex: Glad you're here Liara. Nobody else I'd rather be fighting with

*Garrus coughs loudly*

I felt the squadmates didn't have enough interaction in ME1, so this was perfect.

There were some awesome moments like Tali and Garrus commenting on elevators in the citadel.

That was the one exception, but I still find it kind of weird that Wrex acts like he knows Garrus when the two had virtually no interaction in the past games. Its like bioware is just implying that they got to know each other hanging out in the Normandy's garage in ME1.

AngryMoth

The demo has left me really on the fence about this game. I'm in the "mass effect 2 is a bad game" camp, but I have always really enjoyed the story and the lure, and the demo has definitely peaked my curiosity to see how it ends. I will say as well that the combat seems improved, although that isn't an endorsement by any means. I dunno, I still maintain that the series is one which is severely impaired by todays technology (stiff animation, wooden robotic characters, etc).

That was the one exception, but I still find it kind of weird that Wrex acts like he knows Garrus when the two had virtually no interaction in the past games. Its like bioware is just implying that they got to know each other hanging out in the Normandy's garage in ME1.

That's exactly what they did. You think they spend all their time standing on their own side of the wall, eye-ing eachother but too afraid to talk?

There's a lot of moments during these games where it's implied that your squadmates get to know each other even when you're not around.

Yeah, it's weird but due to the racial conflict between Garrus and Wrex I always imagined they'd play out a sort of Legolas/Gimli relationship.

EatChildren

Mass Effect next gen needs to use the Infinity Engine. If it doesn't I'll cry.

And firebomb BioWare Edmonton.

inky

You never know what happened in the cold and lonely places of the ship. Maybe they got to know each other... too well. Now I understand! That "I thought you'd gone soft" line makes sense after all :O

If you wish to keep discussing this finding I'll see you all in the BSN romance subforum.

Mass Effect next gen needs to use the Infinity Engine. If it doesn't I'll cry.

And firebomb BioWare Edmonton.

LOL. You can start crying now.

I have to say with all the criticism I have given the single player demo.. I have to admit that the multiplayer demo has reasurred me that the game may actually be pretty damn good. It is very addicting... So much that I have to stop playing it since no progress transfers over and I don't want to burn myself out.

I will bet anything the next ME game will be on Frostbite 2.

That would sound likely, except that the reuse of assets is kind of neat. And UE4 might be better, depending on next-gen demands. There is no way to tell how this will develop, of course, but I would imagine that changing engines on a running franchise is a pretty poor business decision unless it is really necessary or nets more money.

Demo has to be at least older than the GTTV episode.

Demo:
demo.png

GTTV:
demo3.png

Donos

Well, tried the PS3 demo now ... not a good idea since i'm playing through ME2 (insanity) on PC atm. That was like night and day (performance and graphicwise). I know that it is a early demo but no ME on consoles for me (although the controls were rather good).

Some really bad lines and expressions but that's part of the ME charme. Going to try the PC demo soon.

Wiggum2007

One part I loved;

Wrex: Glad you're here Liara. Nobody else I'd rather be fighting with

*Garrus coughs loudly*

I felt the squadmates didn't have enough interaction in ME1, so this was perfect.

Y'know, some of the previews have made it seem like there are situations where you don't have a choice in your squad members. I was disappointed when I first heard that, but if it means more moments like the 2nd demo level with some actual squad banter, then count me in.

Demo has to be at least older than the GTTV episode.

Demo:
demo.png

GTTV:
demo3.png

Am I missing something, or how can you tell that the demo is older than the GTTV episode? Only difference I can tell is a slight change in lighting and possibly the Demo Shepard's uniform is slightly higher res.

rozay

Banned
Am I missing something, or how can you tell that the demo is older than the GTTV episode? Only difference I can tell is a slight change in lighting and possibly the Demo Shepard's uniform is slightly higher res.
There are some signs that the GTTV episode's build is older as well so I wouldn't call it conclusive. Hopefully someone gets their hands on the final game early to confirm which is it.

One thing I thought was pretty funny during the first part of the SP demo (I skipped the 2nd part to avoid spoilers) was how Shepard is ALWAYS blaming everything on the Reapers. I mean, yeah.. he's right, but it came across as Al Gore in south park during the Manbearpig episode, or the "Is such a thing even possible?" guy and how he blames everything on aliens.

You don't want to be spoiled and you click a link related to a secret squadmate?

Did you read what I wrote? I said had "Secret squadmate" been the title of the video, I wouldn't have been spoiled, since hearing a voice doesn't really mean jack shit. Could've been anything. But the name of the video spoils instantly, hence why the lack of being told "BTW THIS IS THE VOICE FOR SUCH AND SUCH" is quite annoying.

Should I pick up the ME2 DLC before playing this? I never really looked into it, but if characters from the DLC are going to be popping up, I would at least like to know what is going on with them.

Should I pick up the ME2 DLC before playing this? I never really looked into it, but if characters from the DLC are going to be popping up, I would at least like to know what is going on with them.

I'm willing to be that every single major decision in the series thus far affects the ending of ME3, or at least what species sides with you in the war.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

If you hadn't already I would pick up "Lair of the Shadow Broker" just because it is the best DLC and is generally just really awesome, also has some story elements you might want to know before going into ME3 regarding certain characters.

The other DLC I'm not so fussed on, "Arrival" was nice and is a kind of set up for the beginning of ME3 but doesn't really give you any real choice over the situation.
"Kasumi Stolen Memory" was alright at times and I personally quite like the SMG they give you as part of it, and "Overlord" is more along the lines of a ME1 DLC with a side planet to zoom around on and was a sort of interesting side story away from the rest of the game.

Regardless of if you don't play any of the DLCs they still would have happened in ME3 but without any small decisions you would have made in them.

Is the arrival dlc necessary?

Or any good? I have Overlord and Shadow Broker.
It is alright, a little bit of a let down as I was expecting more exciting things to happen, it is really just another side mission and the implications of it's events are what leads into ME3 but you have no choice over their consequences.

Petrichor

In the same way that lots of people in the east that speak english do so in an american accent....

(secret character spoilers)

Maybe the prothean learned how to speak english by watching cool runnings

Rokam

In the same way that lots of people in the east that speak english do so in an american accent....

(secret character spoilers)

Maybe the prothean learned how to speak english by watching cool runnings

'Nuff people say, you know they can't believe, Jamaica, we have a bobsled team

Top Bottom