• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

A great time for sci-fi on UK Netflix right now.

All the previous Star Treks, Star Trek Discovery, Generations, First Contract, Insurrection too. I think Beyond Darkness is there as well. Then you have Season 1 & 2 of The Expanse, Killjoys and... boy not enough hours in the day!

They’ve removed the goat though, Battlestar Galatica :(

rjinaz

Nope, Bell Media did the same deal as Netflix for Discovery+rest of the Trek shows for Canada.

Only the first episode airs on regular CBS.
The first two episodes will be available for streaming this Sunday.

That's my understanding as well. Both will be available on All Access this Sunday.

Thanks. Looks like I'm subscribing today then.

It sucks because I have no interest in any other CBS shows, but I'm a huge Star Trek fan so what can you do?

Morts

Just subscribed to the commercial-free tier of CBS All Access. I don't really mind because I'm already in the habit of subscribing to HBO for the duration of a GoT season and then canceling, and this is cheaper. Just scrolled through the app though and there's nothing else I can see myself watching... maybe The Good Wife? Oh well.

Game of Thrones. That thing is pirated the week before its release, or as it's aired!

Game of thrones is on sky in the UK and on affiliated HBO networks elsewhere in the world. The cost of entry for Star Trek on netflix is minimal next to a Sky or HBO subscription - that's the reason it is pirated. Game of Thrones is also broadcast at the same time as the US showing in certain countries.

DieH@rd

Banned
The show comes out at like 7am the following day in the uk. Nobody is desperate enough to pirate a show that will be on less than a few hours after airing in the US.

Don't count on that.

Broadcast timings are irrelevant for pirates (all of them encoders, uploaders and users). Yes the show is on Netflix, but majority of world is not using Netflix.

Game of thrones is on sky in the UK and on affiliated HBO networks elsewhere in the world. The cost of entry for Star Trek on netflix is minimal next to a Sky or HBO subscription - that's the reason it is pirated. Game of Thrones is also broadcast at the same time as the US showing in certain countries.

And yet it's still pirated. People will do what they want to do, regardless of what time something is aired.

Don't count on that.

Broadcast timings are irrelevant for pirates (all of them encoders, uploaders and users). Yes the show is on Netflix, but majority of world is not using Netflix.

Well going back to the original comment and your, I don't really see why having this ting on Netflix outside the us is a disastrous thing. Plenty of shows air on Netflix and so just fine. I mean, sure, fair enough the system in the US isn't going to help the situation there, but it doesn't wash with me that Star Trek's viewing figures are going to be effected much by piracy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So is the show coming out at midnight today, or are they just holding it back so they can air it on CBS?

Just subscribed to the commercial-free tier of CBS All Access. I don't really mind because I'm already in the habit of subscribing to HBO for the duration of a GoT season and then canceling, and this is cheaper. Just scrolled through the app though and there's nothing else I can see myself watching... maybe The Good Wife? Oh well.
The Good Fight, the only other exclusive, is okay. I guess it's something to watch if you have nothing to do and you're still paying for it.

fade_

giphy.webp

First not review but, like, c'mon, from Mashable.

http://mashable.com/2017/09/23/star-trek-discovery-michael-burnham/#hz2ViSYWYiqW

I can't speak to whether consumers will flock to All Access for this one show. But having seen the first three episodes, I can attest to the quality of the product in question.

This is science fiction TV of a caliber that I haven't seen since the Battlestar Galactica reboot of the 2000s. And you don't have to be a Trekkie to enjoy it.

I get the need for secrecy to preserve the "wow" factor, but at a minimum the audience needs to understand going in that we're on a very twisty journey here: you can't really judge the show based on the first episode (which is the only one screening on CBS proper this Sunday night; All Access will add episode 2.) I didn't fully get on board with the show until I saw episode 3.

Suffice to say that this is thinking person's science fiction — a plot that's going places on a slow burn, that won't insult your intelligence and will take its time to settle into shape. It looks beautiful and boldly goes where no previous Star Trek has gone before.

This is a Star Trek quietly confident in itself, flexing muscles it has gained from the pantheon of science fiction movies. I caught references to Contact, to Alien, even to Star Wars. There were moments when I caught an Indiana Jones vibe, a welcome Game of Thrones-esque feeling, and a dash of Shawshank Redemption mixed in for good measure.

If there's a flaw, it's that Discovery is a very serious show. There are precious few moments of comedy relief. But after all those forced jokes in the rebooted Star Trek movie series, perhaps it's time the franchise boldly went in a more dramatic direction.

Effect

Been wondering just how big they would look on a actual shelf.. I've been wanting to start collecting some of these for a while.

That they are. They've got some quality issues here and there, but nice detail overall.

What are they made out of? Plastic or resin I assume?
I have a bunch of their Marvel figurine collection they stopped making a few years back, those were actually pretty damn good.

The selection of ships on their website is pretty fantastic, I would heavily consider getting some of the models of the ship classes I absolutely adore...

Yarbskoo

I have a bunch of their Marvel figurine collection they stopped making a few years back, those were actually pretty damn good.

The selection of ships on their website is pretty fantastic, I would heavily consider getting some of the models of the ship classes I absolutely adore...

It's a mix of die-cast metal and plastic. The 1701-A, for example, has a die-cast saucer, but the secondary hull and nacelles are plastic. The 1701-D has both die-cast and plastic parts on its saucer section.

SArcher

Banned
I'm by no means a hardcore Trek fan but the writer mentioning BSG makes me nervous.There was so much toxicity in the BSG fanbase because the new series was so drastically different from the original. And the original BSG lasted for only a single season.

If DSC is the Star Trek equivalent of the rebooted BSG then I'm thinking a large part of the Trek fanbase will absolutely despise it.

Pluto

I'm by no means a hardcore Trek fan but the writer mentioning BSG makes me nervous.There was so much toxicity in the BSG fanbase because the new series was so drastically different from the original. And the original BSG lasted for only a single season.

If DSC is the Star Trek equivalent of the rebooted BSG then I'm thinking a large part of the Trek fanbase will absolutely despise it.
So what? Let them despise it, why do you care what some random fans think?

BSG lasted for 4 seasons and I think a certain % of the fanbase will hate it regardless. No one hates Trek more than Trek fans!

SArcher

Banned
So what? Let them despise it, why do you care what some random fans think?

The constant negativity on the forums was just so exhausting at the time. If the same thing happens here then I'll be avoiding comment sections like the plague.

Plastic and metal. It varies how much of each ship to ship.

For price the quality is fantastic, I used to subscribe but stopped after about 85 ships as they really just releasing some boring, obscure ships now.

Customer service was great for issues with damage or missing deliveries (2 missing deliveries in about 4 years, replacements turned up with missing deliveries so ended up with 2 DS9 and 2 NX-01/Romulan TNG Warbird.), had one broken nacelle on Ent B and they replaced it when I contacted them with a picture, but I glued broken one and it good as new anyway.

Effect

BSG lasted for 4 seasons and I think a certain % of the fanbase will hate it regardless. No one hates Trek more than Trek fans!

Seriously. There will always be a section of the fan base that will hate DSC because it doesn't appear 1:1 with the 60s designs of the TOS. Never mind that the TOS movies are suppose to be three years after the TOS series. Some don't want this to exist at all regardless of its quality. You have ignore those people and bring in others to off set them.

Seriously some of Trek's own worse enemies are apart of the fandom itself.

That said BSG was a complete reboot. DSC is suppose to be an addition. I think the reaction should be different. I like to hope many got it out of their system when they hated on the reboot films.

I don't mind the writer bring in up BSG. Putting tone and changes to the side BSG was a high quality show on many fronts. If Discovery is sparking that kind of reaction again then that's a good thing and money was spent well, casting was done well, etc.

Plastic and metal. It varies how much of each ship to ship.

For price the quality is fantastic, I used to subscribe but stopped after about 85 ships as they really just releasing some boring, obscure ships now.

Customer service was great for issues with damage or missing deliveries (2 missing deliveries in about 4 years, replacements turned up with missing deliveries so ended up with 2 DS9 and 2 NX-01/Romulan TNG Warbird.), had one broken nacelle on Ent B and they replaced it when I contacted them with a picture, but I glued broken one and it good as new anyway.

As mentioned, I know Eaglemoss and know their stuff is usually good. :)
And cool thing, they used die cast lead for the Marvel figures, but eventually stopped because the cost was getting too high (especially for the bigger ones like the Blob, those just had a lead core but the main mold was resin).

Ricker

All actors that I dont particularly like,but they are good actors for the most part,so I'm hoping for the best just the same...what I mean is like the Captain,he mostly plays bad guys,creeps etc etc so thats why I dont like him but I guess its because he does a good job at what he is suppose to be...for example in Brotherhood,I think I hate his face since that show lol...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Wait, I thought Canada was getting it through Netflix?! What the damn hell is this?!
I don't know why you're surprised. Space and CraveTV are both owned by Bell. Bell wasn't going to shell out the cash to air it on Space without also getting the online rights here.

I love that Space has been doing a Star Trek movie marathon since yesterday leading up to this. They're playing I-VI then repeating then the 4 TNG movies then repeating those 4 before Discovery premieres tomorrow night. They're currently on the second showing of IV.

rjinaz

All actors that I dont particularly like,but they are good actors for the most part,so I'm hoping for the best just the same...what I mean is like the Captain,he mostly plays bad guys,creeps etc etc so thats why I dont like him but I guess its because he does a good job at what he is suppose to be...for example in Brotherhood,I think I hate his face since that show lol...

I kind of get what you're saying but Jason Isaacs is the man. He's one of the most down to Earth actors I have seen. Seems like a genuine guy. He's also had some solid non villain roles like on "Awake" which it's a damn shame that show was cancelled.

But yeah my first time seeing him was on The Patriot and I really hated that dude lol.

Description of 101 from Canada.

Coming across a relic in space leaves Federation First Officer Michael Burnham between captain and crew of the starship Shenzhou.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It's a pretty good collection overall, but I was a bit late to it subscribing, I'm only about halfway through where it is currently. There's some awesome kitbash and concept ships coming up.

I've been subscribing from the beginning, well, my wife has been paying. I did a bunch of housework for her as we were having visitors and as a thanks she said I could have anything I want, at which point she gives me this nudge wink, anything. Two days later the advert for Star Trek Starships is on the TV, I just point and say I want that, 4 years later she is still getting them for me including the special editions. At this point it has to be near a grand and half worth of ships, totally worth that "anything".

That's my collection so far, only up to like issue 71 as I haven't had time to put the rest out and want to get a few more shelves to spread them out, and some better lighting.

Annoyingly Discovery ships will be in their own separate collection next year, will seemingly cost a bit more, but will also only be once a month. So hopefully will also be a bit better quality too.

Kadin

Well I'm really hoping the best for this show. The last show I enjoyed was DS9 so I'm not too confident but we'll see. If not, I have The Orville to keep me company at least.

SRG01

I don't know why you're surprised. Space and CraveTV are both owned by Bell. Bell wasn't going to shell out the cash to air it on Space without also getting the online rights here.

I love that Space has been doing a Star Trek movie marathon since yesterday leading up to this. They're playing I-VI then repeating then the 4 TNG movies then repeating those 4 before Discovery premieres tomorrow night. They're currently on the second showing of IV.

I suppose so.

I don't have Space or Crave, so I'll probably have to go out to a watch party at a pub.

Effect

Okay I'm ready for tomorrow. Signed up for the ad-free version. I was going to go with the limited ad version but decided against it. I know it's going to be annoying. I figure the ads will be significantly less then what you'd get on broadcast TV but I don't want the beginning of the show to be interrupted. I might downgrade to it later if the reports of the placement isn't to bad. I'd rather watch them all up front but I don't think that's an option. Since I'm likely not going to be subscribed in the months the show isn't on the higher cost shouldn't be a problem.

Just need to decide how I'm going to watch. Via the CBS app on my PC or borrow a Amazon Fire Stick. My monitor is a decent size and I'm close to it but would like to watch this on the TV though.

Kevin

Yeah I also subscribed for the ad-free version of CBS All-Access. I usually don't subscribe to many streaming services but I really wanted to support this show as I am hoping it doesn't get canceled.

Yeah I also subscribed for the ad-free version of CBS All-Access. I usually don't subscribe to many streaming services but I really wanted to support this show as I am hoping it doesn't get canceled.
Same. I'll cancel once the season is over, but I enjoyed The Good Fight back when that aired, so the service is capable of doing good shows at the very least.

As long as there's at least one other show on the service I like I think it'll be worth it, and it has Classic MacGuyver, so I think I'm good. :D

I don't subscribe to cable anymore since we were MASSIVELY overpaying for it, so even with all the streaming services (Sling, Hulu, Netflix, HBO Go, Showtime, etc) going at once (which we are careful not to do), we still save a lot of money.

Kevin

Right. I'm not happy about having to pay but I'll definitely do it for this show. I know a lot of people will unfortunately pirate it but I try to support the shows that I enjoy as much as possible. Way to many shows getting canceled these days due to piracy and the lack of support from people.

Vic_Viper

So how many episodes total is this supposed to be? 6 now and 6 more early next year? Do we know if this is just a 1 season thing or are they waiting to see how it does?

Everything I've read so far, aside from the positive feedback of the episodes, is about the troubled development at the start. Something about Fuller leaving and CBS worried about it doing well. Sounds like everything got worked out in the end and it turned into a great sci-fi show though which is awesome if true. Can't wait, just wish it was on TV for the whole season.

jerry113

Banned
So how many episodes total is this supposed to be? 6 now and 6 more early next year? Do we know if this is just a 1 season thing or are they waiting to see how it does?

Everything I've read so far, aside from the positive feedback of the episodes, is about the troubled development at the start. Something about Fuller leaving and CBS worried about it doing well. Sounds like everything got worked out in the end and it turned into a great sci-fi show though which is awesome if true. Can't wait, just wish it was on TV for the whole season.

15 episode order for this season. Nothing beyond that is known so far, but the showrunners aim for multiple years.

Kevin

It's 8 now and then 7 in January for a total of 15.

Top Bottom