• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

lead CGI artist (Resident Evil remake) working on ProjectZwei

king zell

zwei_promo_2-e1352104028626.jpg

Equally as interesting, the lead CGI artist from Biohazard Rebirth's environments will be acting as lead environment artist of this project. Rebirth is widely considered one of the most atmospheric titles of all time. All things considered, Project Zwei looks to be a stand out title in every regard. While no platform has been set, it is said to be arriving in the later portion of 2013. Check back for more information as it becomes available.

http://projectzwei.net/index.html

nice, i really loved the way RER looked.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just replayed REmake and it looks gorgeous.

Zwei will look good.

dc89

REMakes environments were outstanding. So yeah, this should have great atmosphere and aesthetics.

Nemesis_

I am definitely here for this.

8v1Fh.gif

Why is it called Zwei?

I believe it's a code name / project name.

Great news. What do we know about this project so far outside of this?

We have a quote from Mikami.

A true “survival horror” game is one in which the player confronts and overcomes fear … I've found my focus and once again I'm striving for pure survival horror. I am being very hands-on in the development of this game to ensure that the quality is there. Rest assured.

MiGkM.jpg

A shiver just ran down my spine when I read the title. All of you bastards had better be there day one when the game drops or we deserve to drown in CoD and RE6.

JoeFenix

This is fantastic news, REmake has INCREDIBLE art design. So atmospheric!

I love Mikami but he isn't as bulletproof as someone like Kamiya, I don't know what to expect from this game but I'm getting hyped just thinking about it!

Sounds like he's going in fullblast, out to prove a point. Can't wait until this is shown!

Mik2121

While I'm looking forward to this, you guys have to remember that the environments were pre-rendered. Not saying that this project will look bad. In fact I hope it looks good, but it's just not exactly the same stuff. Pre-rendered backgrounds means no polygon limit, no lighting limit, just do whatever you want...

We have a quote from Mikami.

A true “survival horror” game is one in which the player confronts and overcomes fear … I've found my focus and once again I'm striving for pure survival horror. I am being very hands-on in the development of this game to ensure that the quality is there. Rest assured.

MiGkM.jpg

First Zombi with the one death nail biting gameplay, and now this? Horror just might make a come back.

While I'm looking forward to this, you guys have to remember that the environments were pre-rendered. Not saying that this project will look bad. In fact I hope it looks good, but it's just not exactly the same stuff. Pre-rendered backgrounds means no polygon limit, no lighting limit, just do whatever you want...

Yes, but the point here is whether or not the environments are pre-rendered, but the atmosphere it ensues. Since limitations of age-old tech are lifted, this kind of criticism is way overdue.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I forgot, who's supposed to be publishing this?

Bethesda since Tango Gameworks is owned by Zenimax.

It's really great that a publisher like Bethesda/Zenimax going full force on a pure survival horror game (dead genre for many big publishers in this day and age).

salromano

It is a fan site. The webmaster is the same person who runs Biohaze.com.

I've seen reports on this from Doope, Polygon, Siliconera, and VG247, and each of them calls this site 'official' in some capacity. Clearly, it's not.

That said, Bethesda Softwarks has 1) still not announced a release window for Zwei and 2) has not confirmed this Resident Evil Rebirth CGI artist as a staff member.

So there's no news here then, yeah? Other than a community opening for fans of the project.

Yama

I've seen reports on this from Doope, Polygon, Siliconera, and VG247, and each of them calls this site 'official' in some capacity. Clearly, it's not.

I'll take it as a compliment, haha. The site was never written as official, a simple five second read would have made that clear, along with the 'yamaink' tag and link to the left. Apparently news posters are quick to hit submit without reading things in full.

As for the lead environment artist, that is in fact news, just not current. It has been known for quite some time, but perhaps not wide spread. Shinji Mikami has hired lead art and environment director Naoki Kataki (Biohazard Gamecube) for the project. So do rejoice in that regard.

Thanks, fixed the 'REVELAITONS' style error.

salromano

I'll take it as a compliment, haha. The site was never written as official, a simple five second read would have made that clear, along with the 'yamaink' tag and link to the left. Apparently news posters are quick to hit submit without reading things in full.

As for the lead environment artist, that is in fact news, just not current. It has been known for quite some time, but perhaps not wide spread. Shinji Mikami has hired lead art and environment director Naoki Kataki (Biohazard Gamecube) for the project. So do rejoice in that regard.

Thanks, fixed the 'REVELAITONS' style error.

Ah, just searched up his name. But by definition, news should be current, unless referring to news of the past. As it turns out, it was revealed Naoki Kataki joined Tango in November 2010. Performing a quick Google search reveals that the outlets publishing this story today have already reported on it in 2010.

It is about the atmosphere. If there is someone out there who gets atmosphere it is the folks who worked on REmake.

Sounds like Resident Evil for WiiU.

As awesome as it would be, I bet Nintendo would have been chomping at the bits to get that one under their publishing wing. Don't see it happening, but I would love to eat all the crow if so. Gamepad is the best yet for survival horror.

Riposte

It is about the atmosphere. If there is someone out there who gets atmosphere it is the folks who worked on REmake.

Sure.

Then again most people fail to realize there is more to atmosphere than "moody" (raining) and "spooky" (dark), or some combination of the both. It astonishes me that those are pretty much the only situations where the word atmosphere or atmospheric get used on GAF, despite the obvious fact that most games, including "AAA blockbusters", have a clear atmosphere for their scenes (i.e. a mood).

Feindflug

Great news! REmake's environments were amazing, Zwei is my most anticipated title of 2013 already...hopefully we'll see some screenshots or even a teaser in the next weeks.

Top Bottom