• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Konami horizontal arcade shooter - Otomedius!

bloke

pswii60 said:
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection says hi. (excludes PSP version)
Ok maybe it will be happening with arcade revisons, but with totally original stuff like new Konami shooter... I'm kinda doubting that.

STG!

jiji said:
I will take this stuff on a disc (hopefully a PS2 DVDROM) at full price.

Ditto.

Great to see Konami continue to support new shooters (and a horizontal one, nice!). Can't wait to see some screens/video.

Inumaru

duckroll said:
It's called "Otomedius" and it features female characters as the name implies.

I don't get it. Why does "Otomedius" imply female characters?

Sounds like a rare...I dunno...ear disease or something to me.

Akai

Inumaru said:
I don't get it. Why does "Otomedius" imply female characters?

Sounds like a rare...I dunno...ear disease or something to me.
I figure because "Otome" is Japanese for "young lady"...

crunker99

god yes, why more companies dont do this for us is beyond me

well it isnt really, i konw its cause of money, but still, WE WANT MORE

Tain

Awesome. When was the last time Konami made a shooter, though? Gradius IV?

Curious as to how this turns out.

I will take this stuff on a disc (hopefully a PS2 DVDROM) at full price.

Yeah, no doubt.

duckroll

_dementia said:
Is there any reason why most newer shooters prominently feature young women?

To try and grab as much of the otaku fanbase as possible. Shooters are a dying genre, you need all the fanbase you can get.

lupin23rd

If you go by demographics, this will come out for 360 (think DOA).

If we go by Konami's track record, this will come out for PSP.

If I had my way, it'd be coming out for PS3 or Wii :)

In any event, one more week before Exelica is out!

m

duckroll said:
To try and grab as much of the otaku fanbase as possible. Shooters are a dying genre, you need all the fanbase you can get.
Hopefully this one, with a name like that, will take the piss out of the whole moe phenomenon at the same time as it rides it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Tain said:
Awesome. When was the last time Konami made a shooter, though? Gradius IV?
Err, Gradius V? Or are you not counting that since it was developed by Treasure?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I do too so that way I would stop being reminded that Treasure has nothing to do with the game for every new thread or review that comes up.

Looking forward to six months of empty "while not developed by Treasure..." preambles.

Good luck with the game, Konami.

Tain

Err, Gradius V? Or are you not counting that since it was developed by Treasure?

Right.

I guess there are technically the Parodius and Twinbee remakes they just released, but they're more graphical revamps than anything.

And G.rev would be awesome, but I'd like to see Konami make it on their own.

Jonnyram

Awesome news... maybe a smaller dev is working on it and Konami is just manufacturing/distributing? The -dius games have always had home ports though, so I'm looking forward to this getting one too.

Or maybe it's just Gradius V with Otome sprites/models, considering that never came out in the arcades.

duckroll said:
For what it's worth, this game uses Konami's e-AMU cab with CVT. Anyone familiar with the hardware?
As far as I can tell, eAMUSEMENT is just the system that handles cards for user data, and CVT means it's a conversion kit. I think. It might run on either PS2 or PC-based hardware, as those seem to be the two types of platforms Konami's using most recently.

Pics from the AOU show, courtesy neo-arcadia:

2li7dck.jpg

34e95w0.jpg

Buh...they might be playing this one straight (i.e., focus on the "maiden" and none on the "parody"). Looks like they've wrangled Yoshizaki Mine and his pervy talents for the character designs, though.

Interesting

Haha see-through skirts they thought of everything. Guess Cave's recent obsession with girls in 2D shooters has rubbed
one
off on others more than I imagined.

Guess I should be happy about never seeing another Darius game, probably be filled with nothing but mermaids or something.

Also in that first pic the blue haired girl is sitting in a cockpit with a wing-shape similar to the Vic-Viper. Just a guess there but it would fit the color scheme.
(Blue/Light Blue = Vic-Viper)
(Red/Pink = Lord-British)

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
are companies now TRYING to make shooter fans feel guilty about their interest? (futile I know)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
jooey said:
are companies now TRYING to make shooter fans feel guilty about their interest? (futile I know)
How long is it before ships are replaced by boobs that shoot boobs at other flying boobs until they explode into a smoldering pile of boobs?

Somnid

SapientWolf said:
How long is it before ships are replaced by boobs that shoot boobs at other flying boobs until they explode into a smoldering pile of boobs?

Like the opposite of Cho Aniki?

Top Bottom