• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden and Persona 4 Arena surpasses sales expectations

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/1...passed-expectations-golden-sales-also-strong/

Index Corporation reported sales numbers for Persona 4: Golden and the PlayStation Vita port sold 260,000 units in Japan since it was released on June 14. Total sales should rise next month when Atlus  publishes Persona 4: Golden in North America on November 20.

Persona 4 Arena was Atlus Japan’s first foray with the fighting genre and sales greatly exceeded the company’s expectations. Persona 4 Arena sold 220,000 copies. The hit titles contributed to Index Corporation’s bottom line in a big way.

Index Corporation reported 447 million yen in net profit or roughly $5.64 million.

Sophia

Those are some pretty fantastic numbers, and they don't even take into account western sales. We know Atlus USA shipped every copy of P4A they had, so that must mean the game is nearing 400k or more.

Dantis

Kind of hilarious that Golden sold more than Arena.

Those are some pretty fantastic numbers, and they don't even take into account western sales. We know Atlus USA shipped every copy of P4A they had, so that must mean the game is nearing 400k or more.

Pretty sure it's not even close. It sold less than 50k in its first month in the US, and I doubt it then went on to sell an additional 130k+ in its second month.

Noi

I'm consistently impressed by devs/pubs that actually set reasonable sales expectations for their titles instead of expecting everything to be a million seller. Capcom should take notes.

Sophia

Pretty sure it's not even close. It sold less than 50k in its first month in the US, and I doubt it then went on to sell an additional 130k+ in its second month.

Really? That surprises me that it's that low.

And I'm not really surprised Golden sold more than Arena; but I'm not nearly as critical of it as you are. :p

Kind of hilarious that Golden sold more than Arena.

Not really, one's an rpg and the other's a fighting game, the latter usually don't sell that well on home consoles in Japan no matter what franchise it is from what I've seen. If arcade profit counted then I'm sure it'd be Arena>Golden though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I did my part.

Now please give me Persona 5 on my Xbox. Please, please, pleeeeease!!

Dantis

Not really, one's an rpg and the other's a fighting game, the latter usually don't sell that well on home consoles in Japan no matter what franchise it is from what I've seen. If arcade profit counted then I'm sure it'd be Arena>Golden though.

But still, one's an original game developed for the two most popular platforms of the time, and one's a slightly enhanced port on a floundering handheld.

Really? That surprises me that it's that low.

And I'm not really surprised Golden sold more than Arena; but I'm not nearly as critical of it as you are. :p

I just hate everything. SMASH IT ALL UP. SMASH UP ALL OF ATLUS' DREAMS.

Is the P4A number only for Japan though?

Jb

Great news :) Hopefully it means when P5 comes out they'll at least consider a vita version (although at this point I just want them to announce the damn game).

Noi

But still, one's an original game developed for the two most popular platforms of the time, and one's a slightly enhanced port on a floundering handheld.

Japanese sales. The 360 version was one of the worst selling games that month, while the PS3 version was in top 5.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Putting P4 Golden on digital platforms like Live and PSN will do them even better in terms of sheer revenue. They've already cleaned it up for a higher resolution. Just sayin'

this is not port beginning

hongcha

Wow, roughly 1 in 4 Japanese Vita owners bought P4Golden. Just goes to show, good software sells well on the Vita.

Takao

Banned
Putting P4 Golden on digital platforms like Live and PSN will do them even better in terms of sheer revenue. They've already cleaned it up for a higher resolution. Just sayin'

this is not port beginning

No it wouldn't. The Vita version is at an MSRP of ¥7,329 ($92) and there's no way you can try that price point on PSN/XBLA and expect it to sell.

They wouldn't do a port either, they'll just put up P4 in the PS2 Classics section like P3.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Good stuff, now get on that character DLC or start working on P4A2 upfront.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No it wouldn't. The Vita version is at an MSRP of ¥7,329 ($92) and there's no way you can try that price point on PSN/XBLA and expect it to sell.

Why sell it that high ? Why not 29.99$ or so ? Digital distribution and all its not like they'll be printing and pressing shit, and we all know prices in Japan are bloated way higher than their Western counterpart.

Ravage

Why sell it that high ? Why not 29.99$ or so ? Digital distribution and all its not like they'll be printing and pressing shit, and we all know prices in Japan are bloated way higher than their Western counterpart.

Persona 4 will most probably appear on the PSN as a $9.99 PS2 Classic sometime next year.

By the time it arrives, that is pretty much the number of players that will be still interested in the game...

Yeah, I don't think it's making it out in 2012 at this point and by the time it comes out I wonder how much of an online community there will be and it won't have as much attention from the FGC to boost awareness like it did a couple of months ago.

Kazerei

Banned
BTW, how did the Persona 4 anime series fare? I assume it was well-received, since sales of the two videogames were strong.

This reminds little old PAL me that I need to pre-order/import P4G from the US, because...

ATLUS DON'T CARE
about Europe

I've already lost all interest in P4A while I was really interested to buy it this Summer. Alas Atlus, shame.

I remember how foolish I was at the beginning of this gen thinking that because of things like XBLive and PSN there wouldn't be a lot of lag time between US and European releases anymore.

Guess I was wrong.

LuchaShaq

Banned
This reminds little old PAL me that I need to pre-order/import P4G from the US, because...

ATLUS DON'T CARE
about Europe

I've already lost all interest in P4A while I was really interested to buy it this Summer. Alas Atlus, shame.

I remember how foolish I was at the beginning of this gen thinking that because of things like XBLive and PSN there wouldn't be a lot of lag time between US and European releases anymore.

Guess I was wrong.

As someone who bought P4A 100% for story.

Just find videos of the story portions so you are caught up when the next rpg comes if it connects. I kinda wish I did that instead of playing a fighting game I dislike between story portions.

Dantis

As someone who bought P4A 100% for story.

Just find videos of the story portions so you are caught up when the next rpg comes if it connects. I kinda wish I did that instead of playing a fighting game I dislike between story portions.

Yup, worked for nme. And you don't even need to watch them all, just Labrys, Elizabeth and any other character.

Dantis

Eh I found all the stories enjoyable even though the Labrys/elizabeth are certainly the most important.

In terms of plot though, they're all the same. I know some people enjoyed them, but you don't lose anything by not watching them all.

Top Bottom