• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Well The Depths is amazing compared to Blighttown, lol. Toxic is so annoying and I went in with zero poison or toxic heal items. Dat framerate...Seriously From, design your next game with near-constant 30FPS in mind.

And as I expected, Quelaag was easier than Capra. Is Capra one of the harder bosses? Everything else has been far easier.

The Depths was just an annoying maze imo, once I got into the actual waterways. It's like there was one maze filled with rats and another filled with curse guys. idk. Only one bonfire too unless I missed one. Didn't get cursed though.

I was probably going to use the free Lightning Spear in Sen's Fortress. Is that a worthy replacement for the Drake Sword? I know it's going to get outdated soon but it's honestly been fine so far. 3 or 4-shots the purple dudes/fire breathing spiders and 1-shots the mosquitos in Blighttown.

Also, how do my stats look? I'm sitting at the entrance to an opened Sen's Fortress with about 21 vitality., 14 attunement, 20 endurance, 16 strength, 14 dex, base resistance/intelligence and 12 faith. Drake Sword/Short Bow for weapons, Heater Shield and base Talisman (just Heal), and some shitty light armor. I think I upgraded the chest piece +2 or something though. eh

Game's been hit and miss so far. Everything up to Capra was pure gold. Capra through Blighttown was...less enjoyable.

I'd say Capra is one of the harder bosses because of the equipment you're likely to have and the area in which you have to face him. Blighttown was probably my least favorite part of my first play through. You've got some really awesome areas coming up, and then after those the back half of the game which the community is kind of polarized about.. after countless playthroughs I think it's all good!

I'm not a fan of either the lightning spear or especially Drake Sword. The DS is going to suck soon, you'll see. And the lightning spear's moveset is just boring with no versatility. It's a great weapon in terms of damage for when you get it in the game, but I'd at least upgrade a weapon you like in tandem with using it. Like the drake sword, the lightning spear doesn't benefit at all from any increase in stats. But even if you wanted to go the elemental route with your weapons, there are many more interesting choices than the lightning spear. But if you happen to like it, fully upgraded it can easily last you through the end game.

Funny/cool to see new players in this thread going by the catacombs in the beginning of the game or otherwise getting wrecked by a game that explains nothing. If you look back through this thread and other OTs for this game you'll see you're far from being alone in making these mistakes.. it's part of the fun. Try out other areas if you get stuck for too long, remember that upgrading equipment/weapons is at least equally important to upgrading stats, and that grinding for levels might not be the answer.

The game doesn't need a map.

joe2187

Banned
I know I first tried my hardest at venturing down into the catacombs at the beginning I actually made it to the first bonfire before I wore myself down and made a mad heart wrenching dash towards firelink.

Most people tend to head down towards the catacombs because that seems like the most straightfoward path in the beginning, took me a while to find the other routes in the game. Of course the next route I took was towards New Lando ruins, and that just made me want to strangle puppies.

Booshka

Try out other areas if you get stuck for too long, remember that upgrading equipment/weapons is at least equally important to upgrading stats, and that grinding for levels might not be the answer.

The game doesn't need a map.

I'd say upgrading is more important than levels, this game is all about gear. I suggest farming for upgrade supplies and souls to upgrade your weapons and armor, and not to level. The game will become a lot easier when you have good gear to work with.

Okay, I've never summoned a helper in this game yet but I think I'll have to just to be the damn queen Quelaag. So I use a summon stone right before I go in there? Where do I get these items if I don't have one (at school and can't remember if I have one in my inventory). Thanks!

joe2187

Banned
The soapstones you have are used for YOU to engage other players.

To summon a co-op partner you must simply be in human form, You can get an NPC phantom while in human form in blighttown you are invade by black phantom Man-eater mildred, after you defeat her she will be available as a summon near quellags boss door, you should find summon signs from other players near a bonfire or before the boss door.

Be careful staying in human form too long though, it increases your chances of being invaded by other players.

Booshka

Okay, I've never summoned a helper in this game yet but I think I'll have to just to be the damn queen Quelaag. So I use a summon stone right before I go in there? Where do I get these items if I don't have one (at school and can't remember if I have one in my inventory). Thanks!

You don't need to put a summon sign down, you just need to be Human form and you will see other players summon signs, usually near the bonfire. Check the bonfire and go to Reverse Hollowing, if you need a Humanity, go into your inventory and use one, then go back to the Bonfire and Reverse Hollow, you will then be Human. In Human form you can summon other players and also be invaded.

The Summon Sign item is given to you by Solaire, he is on the balcony of the bridge where the Hellkite Dragon is right after you beat Taurus Demon.

Daigoro

To add to and revise this a bit, Raw doesn't need a Slab, it only goes to +5 and you only need Large Shards for it.

You can also get a Red Slab by trading an Ascended Flame to Snuggly, upgrade it to +15 then ascend it, then when you trade it you can get a Red Slab.

thanks. i just got the achievement for upgrading a Raw weapon. that was relatively cheap and painless.

could someone point me to that jpg showing what Sl is good for what area in co-op again please? thanks!

Booshka

DarkSouls-Co-opguide.jpg

The Chef

I experienced for the first time being summoned in the Flame or Kin or whatever it's called. The dude who summoned me began attempting to summon a phantom to fight.

What surprised me was that when a phantom was summoned, the host stood atop a nearby hill and watched the phantom and I battle to the death. After I won, he again summoned another phantom to which I fought. He all the wile sat on the hill and watched us fight with amusement.

I realize now how common this practice actually is. It's happened to me like 4 times now. Totally hysterical.

I wish there was a gesture for "Are you not entertained!? Are you not entertained!"

Finally killed Quelaag, 6th time against her I think. Her patterns seemed a lot more predictable this time. Maybe I wasn't paying attention before, and rather than strafing close, I kept a little distance, still close enough for her to attack with a sword, but not so close I couldn't see what she was going to do next.

I experienced for the first time being summoned in the Flame or Kin or whatever it's called. The dude who summoned me began attempting to summon a phantom to fight.

What surprised me was that when a phantom was summoned, the host stood atop a nearby hill and watched the phantom and I battle to the death. After I won, he again summoned another phantom to which I fought. He all the wile sat on the hill and watched us fight with amusement.

I realize now how common this practice actually is. It's happened to me like 4 times now. Totally hysterical.

I wish there was a gesture for "Are you not entertained!? Are you not entertained!"
There actually is.

7011.png

Mike M

Nick N
Had a bizarre dream that I invaded someone's game in Anor Londo, dropped an item on the corner of the ledge where the archer on the right was, then set up shop around the corner with the Dragonslayer bow aimed at head level and lay in wait for the host to take the bait.

Seems like a glorious dick move, but probably not very feasible to pull off.

Alright sorry to bombard you guys with questions but I have no idea what I am doing.

I am at LVL 97 and I am continuing to grind cause I want my ATK, DEX, and END to be 40.
Right now they are all sitting at 37. Should I just start NG+ at this point?

Also bearing in mind my stats is there a better weapon I should be using? I have a Iaito Lightning +5 but it doesn't scale at all with my stats so I find I go back to using the Dark Knight Sword +5 really often.

Mike M

Nick N
Alright sorry to bombard you guys with questions but I have no idea what I am doing.

I am at LVL 97 and I am continuing to grind cause I want my ATK, DEX, and END to be 40.
Right now they are all sitting at 37. Should I just start NG+ at this point?

Also bearing in mind my stats is there a better weapon I should be using? I have a Iaito Lightning +5 but it doesn't scale at all with my stats so I find I go back to using the Dark Knight Sword +5 really often.

With STR and DEX that high, I think most any ugraded scaling weapon will outclass lightning anything.

Find a moveset you like and upgrade the shit out of that weapon.

With STR and DEX that high, I think most any ugraded scaling weapon will outclass lightning anything.

Find a moveset you like and upgrade the shit out of that weapon.

I want something faster than the Dark Knight Sword but a good reach as well. Any thoughts?

Mike M

Nick N
I want something faster than the Dark Knight Sword but a good reach as well. Any thoughts?

Silver knight spear or Black knight halbred, maybe? Silver knight spear has crazy reach for a spear, and the R2 move has a huge area of attack (But is slow to come out.). Halbred is heavier and slower, but I think it has a simar moveset.

One of the other katanas would probably be a good choice too.

Silver knight spear or Black knight halbred, maybe? Silver knight spear has crazy reach for a spear, and the R2 move has a huge area of attack (But is slow to come out.). Halbred is heavier and slower, but I think it has a simar moveset.

One of the other katanas would probably be a good choice too.

Excellent thanks Mike.

Mike M

Nick N
I retract my advice for the black knight halberd (Wasn't the weapon I was thinking of), but I'm still a fan of the silver knight spear (Which counts as a divine weapon, for some reason)

Guevara

I retract my advice for the black knight halberd (Wasn't the weapon I was thinking of), but I'm still a fan of the silver knight spear (Which counts as a divine weapon, for some reason)

I had no idea. The Silver Knight weapons are really fun and have surprising movesets, which is useful in PVP. Didn't the SK Sword have lightning prior to the patch?

M.D

Man, I just can't get PVP in this game.

I spent the last couple of hours invading as a Darkmoon Blade in the undead burg, and out of maybe 30 or more fights, I won only 3 or 4.
The last 3 times invading, I invaded a group of 3 guys hitting me at the same time and acting like dicks lol

I don't know if it's lag or whatever. I ALWAYS get back stabbed while attempting to backstab! This shit doesn't make sense to me.

Booshka

I spent the last couple of hours invading as a Darkmoon Blade in the undead burg, and out of maybe 30 or more fights, I won only 3 or 4.
The last 3 times invading, I invaded a group of 3 guys hitting me at the same time and acting like dicks lol

I don't know if it's lag or whatever. I ALWAYS get back stabbed while attempting to backstab! This shit doesn't make sense to me.

Don't lock on so much, you can manipulate the lock on system and strafe behind ppl for easy backstabs. If you are fishing for backstabs the other player can cut the corner and counter backstab you, it looks really laggy, but it's a legit strategy, I do it all the time to ppl that fish for backstabs. Try to just roll and attack, hit and run, go for backstabs only if a player is turtling or fishing themselves, or healing/casting a spell. Otherwise just roll around, pick and choose your attacks and go for stunlock if you can.

Canova

Banned

Anticipate lag. when you see an opponent 5-6 steps ahead of you, he's actually already in your face

2AdEPT

Finally killed Quelaag, 6th time against her I think. Her patterns seemed a lot more predictable this time. Maybe I wasn't paying attention before, and rather than strafing close, I kept a little distance, still close enough for her to attack with a sword, but not so close I couldn't see what she was going to do next.

Good work! Now make sure you visit the covenant below, get pyro if you want......but above all.....get the armour at the start of demon's ruins!!!! Figure it out yourself for a challenge.....or if you are into spoilers:

(many people died to bring you these plans!) Pretty big spoiler....

First, bring a homeward bone just in case you get into trouble and you don't want to suicide.....(many people plan to suicide here) planning to suicide on this trip makes getting the armour a snap, but it is a better challenge to try to service both the trip there and back. Plus I hate dying...even if its on purpose.

Head out toward the big gate by going down the ramp avoiding the deformities. Once you go across a bridge and get there, then just enter and hug the cliff all the way to the right and you will see the armour on a stand. Once you take the set you have an option to run back while ceaseless discharge chases you, eat a home bone, or stay and fight. If you choose not to go to any bonfires after Queelag you can actually appear back a the fire in Blighttown and you will now have the best poison and fire armour in the game (at least in combo) and can search better with less reliance on purple moss.

really big spoiler on how to cheese this boos:

run away back where you cam from immediately...roll if you have to ....CD will follow....run all the way back to the gate but don't exit....just wait for CD....once he gets there you will be in a safe spot right up agaisnt the door. You can cheees a few ranged weapons, but after a short time there you can just walk up to CD and whack away......I m not aware of any patches that have fixed this....if it is a glitch or intended I am not sure...FROM is weird sometimes. This kill enables you to go further into the Demon's ruins and nab certain embers.

the level after this is quite difficult but all parts of the game are doable with various strategies or equipment....summoning also works well here.

Virgin here. I owned both OST's but never got a chance to play this games. Have no clue how they flow because I put myself in a media blackout. Looking forward to it :)

Mike M

Nick N
Maybe it's because I'm tackling the area relatively late in the game, but Ceaseless Discharge was pretty easy. I just hung out in the alcove where he first attacks (WAS NOT EXPECTING), and any time he raised a... Tendril to attack, just jogged along the ledge until he whiffed, then turned around and got a few hits in. Rinse and repeat.

He's so ponderously slow and telegraphs his every move. I still got hit a few times, but that was before I figured him out.

krakov

Maybe it's because I'm tackling the area relatively late in the game, but Ceaseless Discharge was pretty easy. I just hung out in the alcove where he first attacks (WAS NOT EXPECTING), and any time he raised a... Tendril to attack, just jogged along the ledge until he whiffed, then turned around and got a few hits in. Rinse and repeat.

He's so ponderously slow and telegraphs his every move. I still got hit a few times, but that was before I figured him out.

He has a swipe that is really hard to dodge. Also if he decides it's time to blow shit up all the time you are pretty much dead no matter what. It's a bit random like many other bosses and when one unexpected move can end your life it's a big difference.

Mike M

Nick N
He has a swipe that is really hard to dodge. Also if he decides it's time to blow shit up all the time you are pretty much dead no matter what. It's a bit random like many other bosses and when one unexpected move can end your life it's a big difference.

Yeah, I barely had enough health to survive the swipe attack. Never did see him use any sort of fire attack though.

Maybe I just got lucky, but it sure seemed like his attacks were dependent on my position relative to his (In front of him: Tentacle slam. To his side: Tentacle swipe). I'm willing to believe he was just being lazy and he could have mixed it up if he wanted, but he was pretty predictable.

2AdEPT

Virgin here. I owned both OST's but never got a chance to play this games. Have no clue how they flow because I put myself in a media blackout. Looking forward to it :)

am vvery jealous....nothing would delight me more than to embark on a similar experience than what was the last 2 years of souls gaming.

edit: but because I am not an expert gamer or anything signing on to GAF early on made the experience bearable....so in essence, if ou continue your blackout you will have a different experience than me...I chose allow mysefl to see some spoilers for demons but cut myself off mostly for dark. I only got post privileges after a one year wait leading up to the release of dark while I picked up demons agaain in orderto prepare.

balddemon

Banned
so i went UP the cliff, much easier lol. better than the ghosts i couldn't attack, and the skeletons i couldn't kill T_T

anyways, i'm going down some winding staircase, when a dude with a giant sword kills me through my block in one hit. awesome. now i'm back in firelink shrine because i didn't know you have to sit down at a bonfire for it to save. al;skdfj;alskf

joelseph

so i went UP the cliff, much easier lol. better than the ghosts i couldn't attack, and the skeletons i couldn't kill T_T

anyways, i'm going down some winding staircase, when a dude with a giant sword kills me through my block in one hit. awesome. now i'm back in firelink shrine because i didn't know you have to sit down at a bonfire for it to save. al;skdfj;alskf

Skip that dude for now. You almost to the next boss! You are doing good!

Clevinger

now i'm back in firelink shrine because i didn't know you have to sit down at a bonfire for it to save. al;skdfj;alskf

The game saves every couple seconds (every time you see that little fire icon at the top right of your screen). But you respawn from the last bonfire you sat at after you die.

MechaX

Man, trying to actually coordinate co-op with a friend is difficult (mostly due to level ranges or just sever hiccups). But I did help out three players in a row in beating Capra Demon when trying to kill time (one player summoned two phantoms, which I think is pretty overkill for this boss). We stun-locked the fuck out of Capra, but he deserves it.

Basically, I like the co-op aspect of the game a hell of a lot better than "backstab fest" PvP.

Man, trying to actually coordinate co-op with a friend is difficult (mostly due to level ranges or just sever hiccups). But I did help out three players in a row in beating Capra Demon when trying to kill time (one player summoned two phantoms, which I think is pretty overkill for this boss). We stun-locked the fuck out of Capra, but he deserves it.

Basically, I like the co-op aspect of the game a hell of a lot better than "backstab fest" PvP.

Yeah its a pain in the ass to play with people you actually know. Me and my brother spent about 30 min restarting the game just to get into the same server.

cnizzle06

Banned
I need to get back into this game to finish up my first run but it's been so long that I feel like I've forgotten everything. I'm intimidated.

krakov

When I try to summon people I know it usually takes less than a minute. Still summoning fails a whole lot, especially since it seems people are usually spamming down their sign.

Booshka

Yeah its a pain in the ass to play with people you actually know. Me and my brother spent about 30 min restarting the game just to get into the same server.

If you aren't seeing the sign make sure to reset it about every minute. Put it in an out of the way place so no one else will see it. Resetting to dashboard/XMB and booting the game back up works usually. If you are on 360, you can go to your friends profile and try to Join Session in Progress, this usually connects you to his/her server and it will be easier to see their sign. If you are seeing their sign fine, but just aren't connecting, keep trying until it works, this has to do with hiding your sign so less people are trying to summon your friend at the same time.

I've been thinking of picking up a Dark Souls avatar. Know where I could look for one? I'm thinking something with the Elite Knight Set.

joe2187

Banned

Roche

So I've currently got around 45 dex and I'm using a normal Rapier with the Balder Side Sword both at +15.

I love the Side Sword but I find I'm not getting much use out of the Rapier especially in PvP matches, I was thinking of replacing it with a similar weapon, any suggestions?

So I've currently got around 45 dex and I'm using a normal Rapier with the Balder Side Sword both at +15.

I love the Side Sword but I find I'm not getting much use out of the Rapier especially in PvP matches, I was thinking of replacing it with a similar weapon, any suggestions?

Try the other thrusting swords maybe? Estoc has range and has a slashing hard attack which is very good. Ricards is all thrusting with shorter range but it is very fast. They are good weapons but you need a lot of patience with them and most fights are you whiting away at your opponents health(unless you buff them)

Booshka

Shotel maybe? Rapier is better if you make it Chaos, the scaling isn't good so you will get more damage out of it, and you will also get fire chip damage to finish off weak players. I like having a Chaos Rapier +5 so I can backstab ppl that are healing or casting a spell, and it's great for keeping pressure on players and chipping them down until they die.

Sullichin

Think I'm gonna do a SL1 run soon. I've already beaten the game at SL15 - mostly just leveled to use the uchigatana. What are my choices for weapons in this play through besides lightning/fire/chaos/ handaxe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom