• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

botty

Banned
Hello, everyone. Glad to see a new OT for my favorite game series. Hopefully this one survives longer than the other.

COM has more plot in one grubby card than KH2 has in its entire deck. It's an important game. Hardly a side story. It's where the rest of the series plot line birthed.

Interesting that you say that, considering CoM's plot doesn't really go anywhere until you have gone through half the game.

The Lamp

Can't wait for the KH remix 1.5 HD to release in NA. But seriously, where is Kingdom Hearts 3? Think it will ever get made?

I think they've been trying to make it for 6 years they just keep snipping off Nomura's plot ideas and turn them into separate, smaller games.

Mit-

In KH3,
once all of the characters like Ventus, Aqua, Terra, Roxas, Xion, and maybe Naminé are 'rescued,' I don't think it makes much sense for Roxas and Ventus to be separate characters. The fragment of Ventus's heart should be restored to him, so there'll just be fully separate Sora and Ventus (but give Ventus all of Roxas's memories).
It makes more sense because Roxas is just an Organization name, not a real name.

I kind of agree with this. They have the same personality pretty much, and they don't have memories during the time of the other person's lifespan (Roxas has no memories during Ventus' lifetime, Ventus has no memories during Roxas' lifetime).

I mean really, are they just gonna be some psycho form of twins otherwise?

Narolf

Banned
Hello, everyone. Glad to see a new OT for my favorite game series. Hopefully this one survives longer than the other.

Rest assured it will, granted it almost reached the same length as the previous one in no less than a couple of days.

The Lamp

Interesting that you say that, considering CoM's plot doesn't really go anywhere until you have gone through half the game.

Doesn't matter. It's significance is huge even though you have no idea what's going on the first few hours. Not only is nearly every important plot element and character from the series besides the original Sora Riku Kairi introduced or found origin in this game, KH2 has no context without COM. You also find out a lot more about the original three as well. And Mickey.

botty

Banned
Roxas is already unified with Sora. The idea that Ventus and Roxas need to be combined contradicts the fact that Sora needs Roxas to be complete. Also:
Roxas gave all of his memories to Sora in DDD.

Salvadora

Ok, so let's start with a question? Which Disney (or Pixar's or Marvel's) worlds do you guys would like to see in
Kingdom Hearts 3
the next game?

My answer:
FldaEpL.jpg

Best Disney movie ever.

Toy Story would be pretty amazing. Any Pixar or Marvel world would be incredible though.

Nohar

I just hope that there will be others playable characters. Sora is fine, but I would love to continue to play Riku, and even have the chance to play Kairi. I prefer Aqua to Kairi, though.

The best option would be to make all 7 keyblade wielders (Sora, Riku, Kairi, Aqua, Ven,
Lea-Axel
and Mickey) playable, and set up a gameplay where you can switch between characters on a whim (that would allow duo teams with Sora/Riku, Kairi/Aqua, and Ven/
Lea-Axel
, and also maybe a Disney team with Mickey/Donald/Dingo, though I honestly don't see those two sidekicks leave Sora's side, and I believe that Mickey is at this point canonly too powerful to really become playable). I don't expect
Terra
to be playable (and well, they didn't introduce the other spoiler-tagged character for nothing). Such repartition would allow multiple stories to follow, like in Birth by Sleep. And, well, our protagonists can't be everywhere, especially considering the number of enemies that will await them in KH3 : with
13 incarnations of Xehanort
, they will need to split up in order to face the menace and protect the 7 princesses
(minus one, who will obviously be able to take care of herself)

On a side note, I read some theories in which it was explained that Roxas
isn't Ventus, but is in fact Vanitas. With Ventus's heart shattered and resting inside Sora, both sides of his personality didn't merge. The "Ven" personality stayed inside Sora' heart, even when this one became a heartless, whereas the Vanitas personality stayed inside Sora's body, thus explaining why Roxas has Ven's appareance and has way more temper (and possibly darkness) than Ven. This also explains why Roxas doesn't have any memories of Ven, and vice-versa. This also allowed Vanitas to develop his own heart, since we know that it's possible since KH3D
. Though, it's just a theory, and it has its flaws (such as
Roxas being the one to give his memories to Sora, and the fact that Roxas is able to use Light-based attacks
).

botty

Banned
Doesn't matter. It's significance is huge even though you have no idea what's going on the first few hours. Not only is nearly every important plot element and character from the series besides the original Sora Riku Kairi introduced or found origin in this game, KH2 has no context without COM. You also find out a lot more about the original three as well. And Mickey.

Well, I am not disagreeing with you that CoM's story isn't important; I just found it odd that you said it has more plot than KH2. KH2 has more things going on: The Maleficent plot develops, the gathering of hearts, we learn about Xehanort's origin (the first origin, not the many more that would come after), the disney world sub-plots, and the stuff with Roxas.

I would argue that CoM's plot left a lot to be desired, but that sort of helped it to be such a focal point to connect so many games in the series.

Seda

I really hate how Maleficient went from a seemingly legitimate threat in KH1, to more of a less serious villain in KH2.

Vashetti

Banned
I really hate how Maleficient went from a seemingly legitimate threat in KH1, to more of a less serious villain in KH2.

Yeah did we ever find out if she succeeded in taking the Nobody HQ?

What is her role in BBS?

I still haven't played it.

botty

Banned

Her goals also became really blah in Kingdom Hearts 2. In the first game she was the leader of a Disney villain army, working to take over all the worlds and command the heartless. Then in Kingdom Hearts 2 she wanted to take over the remnants of the Radiant Garden castle. And finally...
to control the digital world
? This is like the opposite of character development.

Nohar

Poor Maleficient suffers from a severe case of villain decay... Something which is rather saddening, as she is a very likable disney villain, who is able to be rather clever (but is too smug for her own good). And, well, I don't see her becoming a real threat in KH3, unless she pulls a Starscream at the last minute.

I'm just glad we're getting KH 1.5 so I can finally play CoM and understand why Sora was asleep at the start of KH2, that was quite a shock when I first played KH2 all those years ago!

I've read about CoM and watched most the cut scenes on YouTube but will be nice to play the game.

I kind of agree with this. They have the same personality pretty much, and they don't have memories during the time of the other person's lifespan (Roxas has no memories during Ventus' lifetime, Ventus has no memories during Roxas' lifetime).

I mean really, are they just gonna be some psycho form of twins otherwise?
lolno

Ventus is cheery and energetic. Roxas is serious and a little depressed most of the time.
I'm just glad we're getting KH 1.5 so I can finally play CoM and understand why Sora was asleep at the start of KH2, that was quite a shock when I first played KH2 all those years ago!

I've read about CoM and watched most the cut scenes on YouTube but will be nice to play the game.

If you haven't played KH 1 recently, then it will be fun. I say this because all of the worlds in KH RE:CoM have the same story as they did in KH 1.

If you haven't played KH 1 recently, then it will be fun. I say this because all of the worlds in KH RE:CoM have the same story as they did in KH 1.

I haven't played KH1 in a long time, but when the HD collection comes out I'll probably play KH1 then CoM or is that a bad idea?

Esura

Banned
Poor Maleficient suffers from a severe case of villain decay... Something which is rather saddening, as she is a very likable disney villain, who is able to be rather clever (but is too smug for her own good). And, well, I don't see her becoming a real threat in KH3, unless she pulls a Starscream at the last minute.

Seems like she might just end up being a servant to
the true Xehanort.

I haven't played KH1 in a long time, but when the HD collection comes out I'll probably play KH1 then CoM or is that a bad idea?
It's up to you, really. I think cutscenes can be skipped in CoM and the Castle Oblivion fights are really fun.
Atlantica is not a piece of shit this time around, too.
I'd nuke the non-Disney stuff out of it. I can't stand what Square-Enix has done to the franchise.
Then what's the point in playing Kingdom Hearts? We've had the same fucking worlds until recently with BBS and DDD.

botty

Banned
lolno

Ventus is cheery and energetic. Roxas is serious and a little depressed most of the time.

I agree with this. Though, I might not consider a character who has spent about 5 games sleeping to be "energetic" :p

Esura

Banned
I'd nuke the non-Disney stuff out of it. I can't stand what Square-Enix has done to the franchise.

I actually prefer the unique stuff they introduced to the franchise (and the FF cameos)over the Disney cameos. Wouldn't mind them toning down some of the Disney stuff though although they wouldn't be able to tone it down too much since quite a few Disney characters are core to the story.

I do think it was at its best when the Disney worlds and villains were the big focus...it fell of a cliff once they got away from that but hey, that's just me. I don't care about Org. XIII or their ilk, give me Disney villains instead.

I need to restart my 3D game. I was playing it but stopped and now I totally forget what I'm supposed to do.

Good thing I'm not too far into it, so I'll probably start up again. Kinda am considering getting an XL just to play this properly lol.

Well, it's not like they started moving away from Disney after the first game. In KH 1 you had original KH worlds like Traverse Town, Destiny Islands, Hollow Bastion, and End of the World. Then we had Twilight Town, The World That Nevew Was, Land of Departure, Castle Oblivion, and the Keyblade Graveyard. I'm really glad they shifted focus and concentrated on KH characters.

Esura

Banned
Do anyone think Sora in KH3
gonna become a Keyblade Master eventually or would he just end up like Naruto, being low ranked but still owning everything and being more powerful than most of the current cast?

Why does [][/spoiler vanitas] look like Sora? Is there reason behind this?
Because at the start of KH BBS Ventus "borrowed" some of Sora's heart because Xehanort took the dark out of Ventus.
Do anyone think Sora in KH3
gonna become a Keyblade Master eventually or would he just end up like Naruto, being low ranked but still owning everything and being more powerful than most of the current cast?
I think Sora needs to become a Keyblade Master to take on the Xehanorts or something.

Seda

Why does
[Vanitas]
look like Sora? Is there reason behind this?

At that point
Ventus has been split into two halves, light (Ventus) and dark (Vanitas). Young Sora's heart was needed to heal Ventus's heart at that point. When that happened, Vanitas grew to take on the look of Sora. Basically Ventus's heart was merged with Sora's, and Vanitas's appearance is a side-effect of that

It's not a great explanation, but it's the best thing we got.

(Anyone else feel free to correct me or elaborate.)

Berordn

At that point
Ventus has been split into two halves, light (Ventus) and dark (Vanitas). Young Sora's heart was needed to heal Ventus's heart at that point. When that happened, Vanitas grew to take on the look of Sora. Basically Ventus's heart was merged with Sora's, and Vanitas's appearance is a side-effect of that

That's pretty much all we know, unless 3D decided to overcomplicate this too.

I should probably play 3D eventually.

Wasn't he already formed at the start of BBS, tho?

His formation is the opening cutscene to BBS. The Dive to the Heart sequence for Ventus at the very beginning is talking to young Sora, right as he was split.

Esura

Banned
At that point

That sounds about right.

Wasn't he already formed at the start of BBS, tho?

Yeah, you are right. Seda's explanation makes more sense.

sappyday

In KH3,
once all of the characters like Ventus, Aqua, Terra, Roxas, Xion, and maybe Naminé are 'rescued,' I don't think it makes much sense for Roxas and Ventus to be separate characters. The fragment of Ventus's heart should be restored to him, so there'll just be fully separate Sora and Ventus (but give Ventus all of Roxas's memories).
It makes more sense because Roxas is just an Organization name, not a real name.
Knowing Nomura he'll probably find a way to make them two people.

Top Bottom