• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post a picture of the city you live in

Status
Not open for further replies.

goomba

Banned
Christchurch, New Zealand

DSCN3502.jpg

christchurch.jpg

BothBarsOn said:
OP, I've always assumed you were from the UK or Ireland because of the Garth Marenghi avatar (which makes me giggle literally every time I see it, BTW). My whole world's been turned upside down here.

I saw Darkplace on Adult Swim years after it originally aired in the UK. Its still new to me. Awesome show.

KidOmega said:
I think Trent Strong (person who started this thread) is olimario. This same exact topic and it's own thread can be found over at opa-ages. Olimario started it there.

What the what? I don't know what "opa-ages" is. I don't know who this Olimario is.

I live in an dull & ugly commuter town named Wickford about an hour outside of London by train;

1036287_644b4a3b.jpg

We've got an over-abundance of housing, few local jobs or amenities, a fading town center and little sign of improvement from our local council, but between the suburban detritus there are still patches of natural beauty;

227057_f058b159.jpg

556407_ef642e75.jpg

751348_f5232c47.jpg

G-Bus

Banned
Not currently living here, but it's where I was born and spent most of my life. Moving back later this summer.

castlegar_view_01_640.jpg

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Huntsville, AL USA. Boring little southern "city". Considering the amazingly cheap real estate even in the nice parts of the city and border (Madison), it's not a bad place to live. Very jealous of New Zealand and all the beautiful pics though. :D

Space & Rocket Center

srctimelapse.jpg

Downtown

13huntsvilleal.jpg

Public park

dsc04019.jpg

32374507704fc69f6ec3.jpg

Public garden

38754894206110aaecf7b.jpg

Ominym

Banned
Zophar said:
I came to post the exact same picture. This is the most interesting photograph of Omaha that's ever been taken.
Oh that's not all true, we can still photograph pretty good.

omaha_nebraska_385x261.jpg

omaha_ne.jpg

28240_7745_m.jpg

pirata

GDGF said:
I so want to move to Austin. Looks and sounds awesome.

Do it! For a city that is so prominently populated by video game players and developers, there are far too few gaffers here (that I know of). The city may be getting more crowded, but a few more awesome people wouldn't hurt, I think:D

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
cdyhybrid said:
Currently: Seattle, WA - recently graduated from UW and still living in the area.

5cemiq.jpg

Even though it's a fairly cliche photo, I'm new enough to the area that this view still brings some happiness into my life each time I walk down those steps at Kerry Park. It's nice living just down the hill from here.

Viewt

TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
Tallanasty, FL.

27930d1222536994-state-has-best-worst-capitol-building-florida_statecapitolbuilding.jpg

The Penis state's capital building.
Doak Campbell Stadium - the largest brick structure in the U.S.
Dude, I miss that dick so much. I left Tallahassee this past August, and I actually really miss it every once in a while. I've been visiting a lot more lately, though.

Anyway, since I was really brief some more, I'm gonna educate you guys on Miami a little bit.

Ahem.

So, to outsiders, when they think of Miami, odds are this is what they think of:

2794198508_37b509978c.jpg

Scantily clad women.

Miami-Beach-V_1.jpg

Beautiful beaches and hotels.

72-running.jpg

Awesome boating.

And it does in fact exist!

2ajt7d4.png

HERE.

But Miami is a big place, friends, and while palm trees can be found all around the city, to us natives, Miami means three other things.

traffic_jam.jpg

Shitty traffic.

3-21-07-nissan-1.gif

Shittier drivers.

el1w10.png

Perhaps the worst music to ever happen to Earth.

Miami: A Nice Place to Visit, A Nicer Place to Leave.

jiggles

Banned
Massive Nights said:
Derry, Northern Ireland. Famous for it's walls, but it really hard to get a good picture of them on Google images. It's mostly political crap, hence the last picture

Snap. I'm pretty surprised to see Derry in this thread at all, let alone on the front page.

Here's a view from the best postition (that is, fucking far away).
35k6gxk.jpg

Viewt said:
traffic_jam.jpg

Shitty traffic.
What the what what

That's like a crime against humanity.
When you've come to that point, you should just ban cars altogether and go for an extensive public transport system of busses, streetcars and trains that all Miami inhabitants are able to use for free + a network of biking roads.

pirata

Souldriver said:
What the what what

That's like a crime against humanity.
When you've come to that point, you should just ban cars altogether and go for an extensive public transport system of busses, streetcars and trains that all Miami inhabitants are able to use for free + a network of biking roads.

Unfortunately, they live in America, and America can't have nice things like public transportation :(

pirata said:
Unfortunately, they live in America, and America can't have nice things like public transportation :(
You do have to wonder why though. An extensive and cheap (or free for certain/all demographic groups) public transport system can help both the economy and the overall livability of a city. Traffic jams are a major cost for the economy, and making all parts of the city accessible for every person with public transportation can give boosts to the economy. And then there are side effects like less noise inconvenience, less accidents and less pollution, which all have their effect on the economy and budget of the city.

I'm not saying more public transportation is best by definition. It still is a very expensive service, and has to be thought through very well. But when you've got a 20 lane highway going through your city, you definitely should look into it.

So has Miami tried to solve the road problem? And if yes, by anything other than building extra lanes? And if no. Why not? Financially impossible? No infrastructure? No support due to the mentality of the inhabitants? Also, I guess starting from scratch building public transport almost seems impossible, if the city has never been built with it in mind.

Viewt

Souldriver said:
You do have to wonder why though. An extensive and cheap (or free for certain/all demographic groups) public transport system can help both the economy and the overall livability of a city. Traffic jams are a major cost for the economy, and making all parts of the city accessible for every person with public transportation can give boosts to the economy. And then there are side effects like less noise inconvenience, less accidents and less pollution, which all have their effect on the economy and budget of the city.

I'm not saying more public transportation is best by definition. It still is a very expensive service, and has to be thought through very well. But when you've got a 20 lane highway going through your city, you definitely should look into it.

So has Miami tried to solve the road problem? And if yes, by anything other than building extra lanes? And if no. Why not? Financially impossible? No infrastructure? No support due to the mentality of the inhabitants? Also, I guess starting from scratch building public transport almost seems impossible, if the city has never been built with it in mind.
The main issue with getting around Miami is that it's an extremely large city that was designed with cars in mind. You're basically expected to have a car in Miami, because if you don't, you're going to have a ridiculously hard time getting around. There are buses, but they're few in number (missed your bus? guess you'll be waiting 45 minutes for another one), so unless you plan your route really well, it takes forever to get anywhere.

We do have the Miami Metrorail, though.
miami-metrorail-isp.jpg

The Metrorail's actually not that bad - it's pretty prompt and really cheap. Unfortuantely, there just aren't a whole lot of stops on it - maybe 19 or 20 in total. And when you've got a city as gigantic as Miami, that's just not enough for efficient commuting - you have to take a bus to the Metro, then take another bus after getting off to get where you need to be. They're working on adding other routes/lines, but with the city being as broke as it is, who knows when that'll happen.

delleps

Neo Member
Well I'm jealous of most of you guys. I don't live in a city, or even a town. All I've got is some town-ish thing in NY, but all that it is is a mailing address. There is no actual village with stores and houses all together and such.
I live somewhat close to Poughkeepsie, though, but theres not really anything there.
We do have this big bridge, which is a big deal I think.
Walkway_over_the_Hudson_opening_day.jpg

Also we've got a nice view of the Hudson I guess.
2773398-Mid_Hudson_Bridge_As_Seen_From_Vassar_Hospital-Poughkeepsie.jpg

Those two things are kinda the same though, so whatever.

Viewt

So, like, where do you get your groceries from? You just drive into town every weekend? Also, where do you work?

I've always wondered what it's like to live way out in a rural area. I can get over not having city amenities, and even the idea of seeing people often. But how do you actually make a living and keep yourself stocked up and such? I assume that not everyone is a farmer or something.

Belfast

Trent Strong said:
You trolling fucks. All of you live in big cities? No way. Where are the Springfields, the Greenbow Alabamas, the Shelbyvilles? Also, most of these European cities are amazing. America is ugly.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Springfield, OR (Taken from Kelly Butte, about half a mile from where I live... it doesn't always look this good from the ground):

springfield.jpg

And Eugene, OR (Shelbyville, yes Matt Groening grew up here. Eugene/Springfield are the conceptual inspirations for both cities, if not necessarily the visual ones -- though there certainly are a few similarities):

eugene.jpg

Eugene's prettier overall IMO, but the towns are literally right across the river from each other. Might as well be one.

Lamel

Banned
Well my current town is Carteret, NJ. Which is too boring to post.

But I did love in NYC for 5 years, so here goes...

NYC_Times_Square.jpg

387606063_408c203f6c.jpg

Belfast said:
Ask and ye shall receive.

Springfield, OR (Taken from Kelly Butte, about half a mile from where I live... it doesn't always look this good from the ground):

And Eugene, OR (Shelbyville, yes Matt Groening grew up here. Eugene/Springfield are the conceptual inspirations for both cities, if not necessarily the visual ones -- though there certainly are a few similarities):

Eugene's prettier overall IMO, but the towns are literally right across the river from each other. Might as well be one.

Awesome.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I bet none of you have ever heard of this place, ever (GASP! Not in Europe or US! :lol )

Bandung:

no68ew.jpg

10nz7h3.jpg

5b9r3q.jpg

23wjrz7.jpg

5x64io.jpg

nqbbxl.jpg

Though, the above are definitely not the most flattering photos of my city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom