• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins: Combat and Arena Deep Dive - IGN First

I swear, people who say the series was based around being a stealthy assassin in the early games and that it is becoming less important over time just have no fucking clue what they are talking about. Unity is the first time in the series that stealth became really important. The very first game in the series intentionally has you literally fight through two entire armies to get to your final target. You're flying a giant machine in two while lighting fires across the entire city. You take over the entirety of Rome in Brotherhood through the destruction of the Borgia towers and purchase of property. You blow up an entire city in Revelations and are constantly blowing shit up with the bombs in your inventory. The first five or so games in the series are all about making the Assassins a well known presence that purposefully make their assassinations occur in full view of the public to make a political point. The outfits they wear are not meant to hide them, they wear them to ensure everyone knows who they are. They exist to turn the public against the Templars because they want everyone to know who their true enemies are.

The group the Assassins were based on were all about making loud proclamations before killing their targets. They were not expected to survive because they were about sending a message.

Sorry, something about rewriting history when it comes to the supposed intentions and design of the first few games bugs the hell out of me.

Jedi2016

I should have rephrased that. I more concerned about a level requirement dictating if you can stealthily take put a target.
Mission targets are always leveled to you, so you can always stealth-kill them. The only ones you can't kill are off-mission world targets that are higher level than you. I don't have a problem with this. Plenty of other games do the same thing, you avoid those too?

DataBased

I like that they are trying new things with the combat for the first time in a while. I am still wary of the overall quality, and will wait for a review regardless.

Fingers crossed!

The different enemies look cool and arena sound fun also.

FinishedCreamyAsianporcupine.gif

ImaginativeMenacingImago.gif

GargantuanSmugGoa.gif

holy crap
gifs that sold me on a game

Looks pretty good, may end up picking this up after all.

The super / finishing moves or whatever they are called look good but the animation on a couple seem a bit off. The weapon seems to often not make proper connections.

dreamfall

I really missed my annual fix of Assassin's Creed - and this looks like a dream. I love the changes to combat, though I am worried venturing into zones where higher level enemies roam may put a huge damper on exploration, much like being under-leveled for an MMO. That was a problem for me in both Unity and Syndicate, but I spent a lot of time gearing up before exploring, and it still felt like a pace killer.

I love that the game just feels so much more expansive and complex concerning movement. Trying to decide to get the game on PC, where I play most things or maybe finally take advantage of this 4K tv that hasn't seen anything to that visual fidelity, and splurge all that Gamestop to Amazon credit from that Summer trade-in glitch on a new Xbox One X. In any case, I'm hyped!

wolgoen

I can't decide if they have ruined the combat system, on the one hand it's nice to see a change but it looks janky like a souls game whilst on the other hand the old system maybe tired but was satisfying and smooth like the combat from Ryse.

I like all the changes they've made, but the animations just look 'off' across the board to me. The way he moves, the way weapons clip through enemies...

It looks rough around the edges, which despite what some might say, has never really been a problem for the series before (for me at least).

Sauronych

Neo Member
I just can't get excited for enemies having levels and spongey HP bars in an AC game. The one thing that the old combat system had going for it was the lethality and how badass the 1/2-shot kills made you feel. I realize it's very difficult to make a system like that challenging without it becoming frustrating, but this feels like they went too far in the opposite direction.

I'm also worried about how all of this will affect stealth gameplay. My biggest fear is stabbing someone from behind with the hidden blade only to realize that the enemy's HP bar lost like 20% and you need to bash him over the head repeatedly now.

Frostman

I really missed my annual fix of Assassin's Creed - and this looks like a dream. I love the changes to combat, though I am worried venturing into zones where higher level enemies roam may put a huge damper on exploration, much like being under-leveled for an MMO. That was a problem for me in both Unity and Syndicate, but I spent a lot of time gearing up before exploring, and it still felt like a pace killer.

I love that the game just feels so much more expansive and complex concerning movement. Trying to decide to get the game on PC, where I play most things or maybe finally take advantage of this 4K tv that hasn't seen anything to that visual fidelity, and splurge all that Gamestop to Amazon credit from that Summer trade-in glitch on a new Xbox One X. In any case, I'm hyped!

Now they've designed the combat around hitboxes, dodging and parrying, a higher Framerate will matter more. Which is why I will be getting it on PC.

UrbanRats

Now they've designed the combat around hitboxes, dodging and parrying, a higher Framerate will matter more. Which is why I will be getting it on PC.

...to never reach stable 60fps, with constant stutter that will force you to lock at 30, like every other Ubisoft open world game on PC.

Ancient civilizations with magnificent cities and combat improved? count me in. When you take time and effort this is what you can accomplish.

Its a pity Paris during the revolution and victorian London couldnt have the same work and effort put into it (and I say this liking syndicate), becuase i love the idea of visting that type of cities also.

For me assassin's creed is the cities, and I love what im seeing here.

BTW, I havent seen many missions videos becuase I dont want to spoil myself. How is the characterization of the main character, is it a walking serious all the time plank, or has he a little bit of personality and can be fun when it needs to?

I guess hard or highest difficulty is the way to go here.

Has there been any information on what the higher difficulties bring to the game?

I hope it's more than increased damage from enemies. I also hope it doesn't mean higher health pools.

Nev

Banned
Can they do the same for the platforming? Holding R1 and stick forward is an insult to the player and the trashy automated system is ridiculously retarded, usually making you eat walls and go the opposite direction.

I reckon fixing that should've been a priority over combat. It's that terrible.

Theorry

Can they do the same for the platforming? Holding R1 and stick forward is an insult to the player and the trashy automated system is ridiculously retarded, usually making you eat walls and go the opposite direction.

Uhh they did.

Theorry

Links? Thanks in advance.

No need i can tell you. Xbox controls.
Right bumper - Light attack
Right trigger - Heavy attack
Left bumper - Shield
Left trigger - Bow
A - Climbing up
B - Climbing down
X - Roll

And you sprint with the left thumbstick.

Nev

Banned
No need i can tell you. Xbox controls.
Right bumper - Light attack
Right trigger - Heavy attack
Left bumper - Shield
Left trigger - Bow
A - Climbing up
B - Climbing down
X - Roll

And you sprint with the left thumbstick.

That's the same as the previous games except sprinting with the stick lmao. I was thinking of something like pressing X to jump freely, which is obviously asking too much.

When did you last play AC? I've never had that problem with the new parkour system.

Lister

Banned
I can't deny that these are nothing but great improvements over the series combat, but man, I really do hate the silly action game trope of rolling on the ground like an idiot every other second. I hope it doesn't get over used.

Theorry

I can't deny that these are nothing but great improvements over the series combat, but man, I really do hate the silly action game trope of rolling on the ground like an idiot every other second. I hope it doesn't get over used.

3 rolls or dodges and then a cooldown i believe.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Ayyyy. Bloodborne is that you??

I don't mind floating numbers (love it in division) but there's something about the font on this that's just a turnoff.
Personally I tend to turn off damage numbers when given the option.

eshwaaz

I like all the changes they've made, but the animations just look 'off' across the board to me. The way he moves, the way weapons clip through enemies...

It looks rough around the edges, which despite what some might say, has never really been a problem for the series before (for me at least).
Not sure if this is exactly what you're referring to, but it always drives me crazy in games when a weapon is supposed to be impaling an enemy, but the blade/shaft swims around in the enemy's body, ruining any illusion that the body is solid mass. Shadow of Mordor avoided this issue really, really well.

"... some of them are single powerful attacks, some are multi attacks, some are what we call rage mode, where you get 10 second to go crazy on everyone around you..."

Sing with me: "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is more useful than rest"

I swear, people who say the series was based around being a stealthy assassin in the early games and that it is becoming less important over time just have no fucking clue what they are talking about. Unity is the first time in the series that stealth became really important. The very first game in the series intentionally has you literally fight through two entire armies to get to your final target. You're flying a giant machine in two while lighting fires across the entire city. You take over the entirety of Rome in Brotherhood through the destruction of the Borgia towers and purchase of property. You blow up an entire city in Revelations and are constantly blowing shit up with the bombs in your inventory. The first five or so games in the series are all about making the Assassins a well known presence that purposefully make their assassinations occur in full view of the public to make a political point. The outfits they wear are not meant to hide them, they wear them to ensure everyone knows who they are. They exist to turn the public against the Templars because they want everyone to know who their true enemies are.

The group the Assassins were based on were all about making loud proclamations before killing their targets. They were not expected to survive because they were about sending a message.

Sorry, something about rewriting history when it comes to the supposed intentions and design of the first few games bugs the hell out of me.
The first game was most definitely about being a stealthy assassin. You'd get as much info as possible on your target and use that info to create a stealthy as possible plan of attack that, if carried out to perfection, meant you were pretty much undetected until you got that last super dramatic one hit kill on your target. Then that would end in you basically hightailing it out of there as fast as possible. You could fight off groups of soldiers effectively but it was never to any benefit and it was more efficient to run. The series really hasn't been so much about that since the very first game though. I don't even say that out of nostalgia either since I actively hated the first game for it's repetitiveness and AC2 & Brotherhood are my favorites in the series despite their increased focus on combat effectiveness.

hydruxo

I can't decide if they have ruined the combat system, on the one hand it's nice to see a change but it looks janky like a souls game whilst on the other hand the old system maybe tired but was satisfying and smooth like the combat from Ryse.

There was really nothing to ruin. I love AC games but the combat was never anything to write home about. Origins' combat looks way better than anything we've had previously.

The first game was most definitely about being a stealthy assassin. You'd get as much info as possible on your target and use that info to create a stealthy as possible plan of attack that, if carried out to perfection, meant you were pretty much undetected until you got that last super dramatic one hit kill on your target. Then that would end in you basically hightailing it out of there as fast as possible. You could fight off groups of soldiers effectively but it was never to any benefit and it was more efficient to run. The series really hasn't been so much about that since the very first game though. I don't even say that out of nostalgia either since I actively hated the first game for it's repetitiveness and AC2 & Brotherhood are my favorites in the series despite their increased focus on combat effectiveness.

correct. here's an average mission: https://youtu.be/ubw__iOLDMI?list=PLBz-8qkNkY377ClwxBayCWzXGo8_Dc5IO&t=1367

& i clearly remember that there were a number of complaints at the time about that final combat-oriented mission not fitting in with the rest of the game :) ...

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
]I'm not the biggest souls fan so I was ok with the combat being how it was but everything else looks amazing.[/B] This and South Park so close is torture Like damn ubi chill

Also can I just not assassinate everybody you have to do combat

Total opposite for me. Have had zero interest in this franchise after AC2 bored me to tears, but a huge die-hard Souls fan.

I'm a huge history nut so I love that aspect of these games, but mechanically I think they're shit. Plus I hate Ubisoft. However, if they manage to make it Souls-like in combat I might actually give the game a shot, because playing in Egypt sounds cool as hell.

Top Bottom