• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Cheddahz

Banned
This will be the first time I'm jumping back into FFXII ever since my cousin got mad at me for kicking his ass in Tekken 4 and decided to delete my save that I had for FFXII and man, I can't wait

Kuraudo

Banned
This is the only FF released since I started playing them that I haven't completed. I was in Japan when it came out, but my Japanese was so basic that playing became a bit of a chore after ten hours or so. By the time the English version came out I'd already moved on to next gen (like a month before) and was much more interested in buying new games for my 360 than revisiting something I'd already put a bit of time into. I finally got around to picking it up about eighteen months later, but after about thirty hours I got distracted by stuff on newer systems and never went back to it.

So excited to pick this up for the third time tomorrow and hopefully finish it this time.

How is turbo mode activated? Is it just a simple button push like in FFVII?

Loz246789

Final fantasy 12 was my first final fantasy game (I was young enough that I didn't even know what final fantasy was, I just saw that somehow the series had managed to reach a 12th entry and assumed it must be good), and really the first game I'd ever played that really opened my eyes to the world building potential of videogames. So I'm looking forward to going back to what was a fairly formative experience for me. (Especially since I'm pretty certain a lot of the political subtleties went over my head, since I was... 10? Something like that)

Also I never really managed to make use of the gambit system beyond basic stuff like "Heal almost dead characters" and "cast fire on enemies with the oil status effect". So that will be neat to toy with again.

It is so scary how time flies. I remember my mom grabbing this for me on midnight release back in '06. Here I am getting the remaster on day one 10.5 years later. My favorite FF game for sure.

Only 8 hours until it unlocks on PSN for me!! So hyped to play this again after so long. I just need to figure out what jobs I want on my characters. I saw a quick clip of a stream in French but he had penelo and as he both as black mages. I thought you could have 2 jobs but only one job type per character

Arkanius

I still think the FF12 story is underrated.
It was a good political drama that was way better than the Final Fantasy X trite

Sad that I can't play this unfortunately, no PS4.
Hope everyone a good playthrough

Rad-

sFSGLl9.jpg

B00TE

Been enjoying the game since Saturday, the job system is neat and fast foward is a godsend for grinding. Took me awhile to think about my party set up, hehe.

Who wants to start talking about job combinations and esper allocation shall we? ;)
I want to know if you all have any suggestions on the team I'm planning on making.

Group #1
Vaan, Ravager – Shikari/Foebreaker (Zalera, Shemhazai)
Balthier, Gun Mage - Machinist/White Mage (Famfrit, Zodiark)
Fran, Spellsword - Red Battlemage/Bushi (Belias, Cuchulainn, Zeromus, Exodus)

Group #2
Ashe, Paladin – Knight/Time Battlemage (Mateus, Adrammalech, Hashmal)
Basch, Soldier - Uhlan/Archer
Penelo, Wizard - Black Mage/Monk (Chaos, Ultima)

With this setup everyone has access to 3 swiftness and both groups have access to all the breaks. I also tried to keep the jobs consistent with the characters and story. I've also thought about switching Archer and Monk for Penelo and Basch. I love the idea of Penelo being a ranged caster/archer, but giving monk to Basch feels strange to me. I'd feel obligated to give him Chaos which would give him a wide range of spells and for whatever reason I don't really like the idea of Basch casting magic. So this is what I'm settled on right now.

My biggest question is who to give Zalera and Shemhazai to. Zalera gives Vaan +435 hp and it gives Penelo steal/poach. In my group #2 only Basch can steal so would it be worth it to give Penelo an esper just for that? Shemhazai is also difficult for me. It gives Vaan guns 5 and 6 or it gives Fran esuna, cleanse, and shield block 1. What do you all think?

Played the original on PS2 and loved it. I never finished because I went on to tackle some other shorter games and never got back around to finishing this game. Glad it was remastered for current gen. Let's do this...

MilkBeard

Oh shit, good title, lol. I'm thinking of picking up the game just for shits and giggles and something to play, even though I shouldn't be spending my time on games atm.

That EU collector's case looks dope, damn.

Pantz

Gold Member
Anyone want to join me for a randomized 12 class setup? I used Randomizer.org to get a random set of 12 numbers and I'm locking in my randomized setup now.

Ashe - 1. White Mage, 2. Archer
Balthier - 1. Time Mage, 2. Red Mage
Basch - 1. Samurai, 2. Monk
Fran - 1. Uhlan, 2. Hunter
Penelo - 1. Black Mage, 2. Knight
Vaan - 1. Breaker, 2. Machinist

Not too bad, I think.

Riposte

I'm quite curious on the difficulty when factoring two jobs (and any other possible changes).

FFXII was already a fairly easy game and IZJS made it even easier with jobs being much more efficient/having higher potential and there being no damage cap. Without balance adjustments, characters should be able to stomp with many or even most job combos. I somewhat doubt they would balance the game to be much harder since they didn't seem to care so much the first two tries (on the contrary, with IZJS it was intentional).

I have fond memories of when FFXII first came out in NA. I was like 13 or 14, it came out on Halloween, I remember picking up my pre-order from the Gamestop inside the mall, and my mom and I went to go see the Nightmare Before Christmas in theaters/3D. Good times. :)

Who wants to start talking about job combinations and esper allocation shall we? ;)
I want to know if you all have any suggestions on the team I'm planning on making.

Group #1

Group #2

With this setup everyone has access to 3 swiftness and both groups have access to all the breaks. I also tried to keep the jobs consistent with the characters and story. I've also thought about switching Archer and Monk for Penelo and Basch. I love the idea of Penelo being a ranged caster/archer, but giving monk to Basch feels strange to me. I'd feel obligated to give him Chaos which would give him a wide range of spells and for whatever reason I don't really like the idea of Basch casting magic. So this is what I'm settled on right now.

My biggest question is who to give Zalera and Shemhazai to. Zalera gives Vaan +435 hp and it gives Penelo steal/poach. In my group #2 only Basch can steal so would it be worth it to give Penelo an esper just for that? Shemhazai is also difficult for me. It gives Vaan guns 5 and 6 or it gives Fran esuna, cleanse, and shield block 1. What do you all think?

This is a pretty nice setup. Previously I had this in mind:

Balthier Uhlan / Machinist
Vaan Hunter / Breaker
Basch Samurai / Knight
Fran Archer / Red Mage
Ashe: White Mage / Time Mage
Penelo: Black Mage / Monk

That seemed like a safe bet between canon and good combinations in generell. But I'm open for suggestions.

WM/Archer is a waste from what I can tell and read. Archer already has the best item healing iirc, no need for WM and vice versa.

Varjis

Okay, decided to go all in and pre-ordered the Steel book from NewEgg. It shall have a home next to the PS2 Steel book version. :)

aravuus

Anyone want to join me for a randomized 12 class setup? I used Randomizer.org to get a random set of 12 numbers and I'm locking in my randomized setup now.

Balthier - 1. Time Mage, 2. Red Mage
Basch - 1. Samurai, 2. Monk
Fran - 1. Uhlan, 2. Hunter
Penelo - 1. Black Mage, 2. Knight
Vaan - 1. Breaker, 2. Machinist

Not too bad, I think.

Ohh, that's a pretty fun idea

I can't not pick the optimal job combinations for everyone though, even if I wanted to lol. Maybe I'll try this on a future playthrough.

OmegaDL50

Group #1

Group #2

I think this all looks good and exactly what I'm going to do as well, however Basch as Monk makes sense due to his Pole attack animations being arguably the fastest for combo hits. He's apparently the best Pole user in the game too...when equipped with Genji Armor at least.

Why does this image keep being spammed in this thread.

Is this some sort of inside joke?

BigEmil

Ill buy it on a price drop, bit overpriced for a minimal effort remaster. Seems they mainly just focused on audio side of things to properly remaster

Ricker

You guys sure there is not even French or Spanish subtitles...?...fully voiced I can understand but no UI or subtitles is surprising...

Ill buy it on a price drop, bit overpriced for a minimal effort remaster. Seems they mainly just focused on audio side of things to properly remaster

They used the near-master version of the textures I believe (the original PS2 game had textures created at HD resolutions), re-recorded the soundtrack, added the ability for a second job and rebalanced the game (not to say its harder - but made more options valid). I feel like the PS2 releases on PS4 are more minimal effort but ymmv :p

mieumieu

They used the near-master version of the textures I believe (the original PS2 game had textures created at HD resolutions), re-recorded the soundtrack, added the ability for a second job and rebalanced the game (not to say its harder - but made more options valid). I feel like the PS2 releases on PS4 are more minimal effort but ymmv :p

Not just textures. The lighting system has an overhaul too. Notice this screenshot from USGamer where you can see the armor reflecting the sky, or the other screenshots with the judges.
Also bump mapping from the rocks.

910x-1

Neoweee

Yeah, it looks like they put a lot of work into it..

Lot of work.

Also, this was $32 on Amazon for some stretch of time, due to some weird death spiral / automated bidding war, or something. Looking forward to this.

Does anyone have links to the NEW new tracks of music?

TECHNICAL INFO: Native 1080p 30FPS on Playstation 4 | Native 1440p 30FPS on PS4 Pro (4K Displays only)

Oh for fuck's sake, why is this still happening? Hopefully it's an oversight and it'll get patched quickly.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Thinking of making Vaan a monk. He has the fistfighter look. What's a good job to pair that with?

Cornbread78

Lot of work.

Also, this was $32 on Amazon for some stretch of time, due to some weird death spiral / automated bidding war, or something. Looking forward to this.

Does anyone have links to the NEW new tracks of music?

Should have put LOT, lol.

I believe there is a thread with links.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I'm almost surprised that they didn't ship this with some kind of audio glitch.

aravuus

Thinking of making Vaan a monk. He has the fistfighter look. What's a good job to pair that with?

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75477310

Black Mage/Monk: perhaps the ultimate offensive magic user. Monk upgrades your Black Mage with 3x swiftness, tons of HP, and access to White Magick 9-13. Being able to exploit Holy weakness is a huge advantage, and the best staff (Staff of the Magi) boosts Holy damage by 50%. This combo also has excellent physical strength, which especially comes in handy earlier in the game before you get all the really good offensive spells.

Samurai/Monk: Similar to the Samurai/Knight combo, this combines Samurai's high magic power with Monk's strength (highest in the game) to greatly boost katana damage. Monk can unlock White Magick 9-13, which benefit from Samurai's excellent magic power.

Spoiler tagged the combinations... Just in case.

Top Bottom