• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you *think* only you on GAF have played

1213486083-00.jpg

1619407-1859_1.jpg

51W09JG2KBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41IPHVCDB-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1204226120-00.jpg

dornbrookdesk_spacebar.jpg

250px-42725-11315.jpg

failing that, one of the first games on the PS2: Ring of Red

Ring_of_Red_art_box.jpg

An SRPG based on Mechs

My only problem with RoR (aside from the pretty terrible translation) is how damn long the maps are. They need to be because of how battle is handled, but that's stopped me from sitting down to play it so many times.

250px-EOE_-_Eve_of_Extinction.jpg

I will always be Customer number 1. No one else played this game but me.

And if someone did(God bless you) I know damn well they had too much sense to actually finish it. Unlike me.

To this games credit, it was one of the originators of QTE. RE4 and GoW are just posers.

:O! I came in here to post this, so you can imagine my surprise. And yes, I finished it to the end too.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just remembered this one:
Total Mayhem/Total Mania
I8x3E.jpg

I remember being super hyped for this after playing the demo but couldn't find it anywhere (as with most of the games from my childhood).
It got 5/10 in one of the Polish game magazines though.

tkscz

Heart of Darkness - PC/PS1 (as far as i know)
I have never met anyone who has heard of it, let alone played it. It was really fucking hard for me! I never beat it. The intro was really cool. I hope someone on GAF has played it, because then I won't feel so alone.

69CsO.jpg

hdRzj.jpg

mSVJ6.jpg

cUmaq.jpg

here's the intro

Dear god yes. Me and my friend tried staying up all night to beat this. Never did.

neverhood2.jpg

The Neverhood, inventive, funny, puzzling and my first romp into P&C adventure games. The music was fucking awesome.

ThankeeSai

Monsters (Acorn Electron)

monsters.jpg

One of my earliest gaming memories. iirc, this actually came with the computer, but when I ask friends who had the Acorn if they remember it, they look at me like I have 2 heads.

Citadel (Acorn Electron)

citadel1.png

Vaguely remember this. Remember having to find keys to unlock doors, that's about it. Again, another one other people don't seem to remember.

Twin Kingdom Valley (Acorn Electron)

twin.jpg

My first text adventure game (go North, look at that, pick up this etc), but this one had graphics to show you the places you were at. I remember it taking ages to load and if you went the wrong way, made a wrong choice and got "Game Over" you had to reload the entire thing again.

_______

There was also one on the MSX that I can find no screen shots of. It was a scrolling shooter called Valkyre (I think). It doesn't seem to exist anywhere, but I swear it was on there. I vividly remember it containing the first digitised speech I had ever heard - As you started the game an 8 bit tune played, then a voice said "Welcome to Valkyre". It wasn't great quality obviously, but you could certainly make it out.

Machine

When I was younger, I had an Apple ][+ with several games. This one is obscure enough that I think it qualifies:

mummys_curse_front.jpg

Monsters (Acorn Electron)

monsters.jpg

One of my earliest gaming memories. iirc, this actually came with the computer, but when I ask friends who had the Acorn if they remember it, they look at me like I have 2 heads.

Citadel (Acorn Electron)

citadel1.png

Vaguely remember this. Remember having to find keys to unlock doors, that's about it. Again, another one other people don't seem to remember.

Twin Kingdom Valley (Acorn Electron)

My first text adventure game (go North, look at that, pick up this etc), but this one had graphics to show you the places you were at. I remember it taking ages to load and if you went the wrong way, made a wrong choice and got "Game Over" you had to reload the entire thing again.

_______

There was also one on the MSX that I can find no screen shots of. It was a scrolling shooter called Valkyre (I think). It doesn't seem to exist anywhere, but I swear it was on there. I vividly remember it containing the first digitised speech I had ever heard - As you started the game an 8 bit tune played, then a voice said "Welcome to Valkyre". It wasn't great quality obviously, but you could certainly make it out.

I have played all these my Acorn Electron brother!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Cool, what do you guys do now?

I met him at the company a bunch of the ex-SCi developers set up after they were made redundant, about 8 years ago now. Now we're set up in our own indie Flash games company. I'm not going to make a whole spiel of it so as not to go off-topic, but here's our site (which sorely needs updating).

MMaRsu

Banned
Not me but my friend played this game and was obsessed with it; I have never heard anyone else mention it before:

640463-dink_box_1__large.jpg

Dink Smallwood was funny as hell! Killing PIGS HELL YEA

I will have to go with this garbage game :

6168964905.jpg

Fuck you you POS!

goodfella

My goodness, this thread has helped me remember two games that I have been thinking of, EOE and Heart of Darkness.

Huge nostalgia right now.

250px-EOE_-_Eve_of_Extinction.jpg

I will always be Customer number 1. No one else played this game but me.

And if someone did(God bless you) I know damn well they had too much sense to actually finish it. Unlike me.

To this games credit, it was one of the originators of QTE. RE4 and GoW are just posers.

Finished it.

Ran rp

FurFightersViggosRevenge.jpg

BEST THIRD PERSON SHOOTER EVER/
long live Dreamcast

really interested to see who played these.

I played the demo of it from one of those Generator demo discs. I remember loving the visuals but fighting the controls.

... why did you post the PS2 box art?

Wubby

Pinball for the Odyssey 2. Bought it at one of the Classic Gaming Expos many moons ago. I think only 50 or 100 were sold.

NR3AH.jpg

I seriously doubt anyone else has shared the pain of playing this laughable "game". You can't even wash cars using the analog stick, you have the use the D-Pad to sweep across, move up a few millimetres and sweep across again.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Air Cars for Atari Jaguar. I bought it at release. Shouldn't have sold it... pretty rare now, I think.

neoemonk

My mom used to take me to the local mom and pop video store back in the 80s quite a bit to rent NES games. The first one that springs to mind that I never hear anyone talk about is Robowarrior.

Another one that my friend and I played a ton on the NES was Rescue: The Embassy Mission.

From my Atari 2600 days, I really loved this game as a kid called Frogs and Flies.

People probably have played this but not many.
unirally.jpg

Lovvveeddd it on the snes.
Yeah, that was pretty fun.

skyroads.gif

SkyRoads

But I don't really know which older games sold well and which didn't.
From what I remember, this one was on many shareware collections back then.

As for games nobody else played... Maybe Kaiser Deluxe for DOS? It was in some huge, red and gold plastic/faux leather case with a map and tokens, I think. Only ever saw one copy of it in the shops and got it after seeing it sit there for a long time.
rT6qL.png

Another one might be ZombieVital Deluxe for PC, although that might not really qualify for the "played in our past" bit, as I only played it recently. And I just played the demo version. It's a Japanese dungeon management game.

If anyone's played these two obscure point & click adventures, I'll be pretty surprised;
leden.jpg

Lost Eden, while on the easy side, was one of the most memorable adventure games I played as a young scamp. Stéphane Picq, who also did the Dune adventure game OST (Spice Opera under one half of the Exxos name), worked magic and I still have the intro music burned into my brain.

"I am Eloi..."

DiGiKerot

jbwrywc8wgnX23.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mQlVtSS2xo&feature=related

I'd imagine this was more popular than the other 2 but playing Trials recently reminded me of it so I added it anyway.

I've plated How To Be A Complete... and ATV Simulator. Infact, I played the later quite a bit.

Is there here other Sakura Taisen fans crazy enough to have played everything related to the series? Columns games, ST Online games, Mysterious Paris and such obscure tites ?

I don't think the Columns games are that obscure, though I've only played the DC (and not the Saturn/Arcade) one. Otherwise, I think Mysterious Paris is as obscure as I got (which is odd enough, given I don't really read Japanese).

Necron

Heart of Darkness - PC/PS1 (as far as i know)
I have never met anyone who has heard of it, let alone played it. It was really fucking hard for me! I never beat it. The intro was really cool. I hope someone on GAF has played it, because then I won't feel so alone.

yeah, I also played it and couldn't get very far because of the difficulty. I think I gave up on that swamp level. Seeing as Titanic is back in cinemas, has anyone played Titanic: Adventure Out Of Time? Probably not obscure enough...
titanic.gif

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Only very few of these I've played (Heart of Darkness, Time Commando, Atlantis were great). Couple I wish I could forget (such as Marko). Nice thread, got me to try a few of them that I never heard of, or at least look for them.

The only game I can think of that I can reasonably believe I'm the only one to have played in a general random grouping of people is

rzydn.jpg

for the APF M1000.

Has anyone else even played the APF M1000? I got the thing as a gift from an American uncle who used to collect electronics, but as far as I can tell it's the most ignored "mass release" console in the States.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
If anyone's played these two obscure point & click adventures, I'll be pretty surprised;

leden.jpg

Lost Eden, while on the easy side, was one of the most memorable adventure games I played as a young scamp. Stéphane Picq, who also did the Dune adventure game OST (Spice Opera under one half of the Exxos name), worked magic and I still have the intro music burned into my brain.

"I am Eloi..."

Fistbumps to the pair of you, my Lost Eden fan brethren. This game literally made me beg and scream for my first CD-ROM drive on my old PC.

Even though he was really a big pansy, Moorkus Rex has the most terrifying laugh of anything in the entire world, ever.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The_Red_Star_Coverart.jpg

redstar.jpg

the-red-star-20070607051201291.jpg

The Red Star, a co-op-RPG-beat-em-up-bullet-hell.
A Gaffer's wet dream.
Hardly anyone heard of it.

this surprises me as it was well known on the 1up boards back in ....06? Here are mine

Dark_Angel_-_Vampire_Apocalypse_Coverart.png

I bought a few of those dirt cheap preowned PS2 games GS will have in shoeboxes. Tried this and its pretty much a net yaroze game

Treasures%20of%20the%20Deep%20%5BU%5D%20%5BSLUS-00430%5D-front.jpg

odd choice? well its never listed in any of those Gaf hidden gems threads, which is wrong, and its never listed in any of the great soundtrack threads, which is also wrong, so clearly nobody played....or they are dumb ;p

This game is also great, but since I played it in a total vacuum I have no idea how well known this is. Doesn't come up that often, so whatever.

1228756085-00.jpg

TriGen

I loved Shadow of Destiny for the PS2. It was geared more towards the Japanese audience, and I can't imagine many mainstream only gamers would touch it.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Why is it, the moment I think of posting an Amiga CD32 game, someone else owns up to owning one? That said, I didn't own Base Jumpers!

Anyway, it was going to either be Swords & Serpents for the NES, but I know a couple of other people who have at least heard of it, or Whale's Voyage on the CD32.

952098_110094_frontv2ba3.jpg

It was quite good, from what I remember of it.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I loved Shadow of Destiny for the PS2. It was geared more towards the Japanese audience, and I can't imagine many mainstream only gamers would touch it.

I love this game. :3 I keep seeing a used copy of the PSP version at the store, but I'm not sure I want to play it since I heard they redid the voice acting... :/

Top Bottom