• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somax

Hey guys, I heard that Italy will be seeing Jojolion. I'm happy for Italian Jojo fans and still sad for us in the US area : (

Very good. It starts in April. Going to pick it up alongside the deluxe reprint of Vento Aureo...

This situation is why I'm hopeful ASB will come to Europe.
A man can dream...

fertygo

The best way to accurately explain those confusing time controling stands.

I like this one more.

tumblr_m9oxjd86FU1qhcw70o1_500.jpg

Tizoc

Very good. It starts in April. Going to pick it up alongside the deluxe reprint of Vento Aureo...

This situation is why I'm hopeful ASB will come to Europe.
A man can dream...

I can see it gettnig a non-English release in Europe.

fertygo

This implies there are people out there that understand Gold Experience Requiem's ability, which, as we all know, is impossible.

Its not that hard.. Its trap you in dimension where you die over and over again.

Now if we talking about King Crimson...

ahaha I like this. I'd love to have higher resolution of htis.

I don't think there is one, or at least I don't remember having seen one.

Man I really want that phone D:

Unlike the standard Optimus Vu:L-06D model from LG Electronics, this Android 4.0 phone will come pre-installed with six custom themes (inspired by the manga's Part 1, Part 2, main characters, and villains) and exclusive wallpaper. It will also have F-Mega (a car racing game inspired by the manga's Part 3 with competitors Noriaki Kakyoin and D'Arby), an exclusive camera app that inserts visual effects of Stand powers into photos, an Iggy version of Docomo's onscreen Machichara mascot assistant, Trish's Calculator, Heaven's Door memo pad, a Weather Report widget, and other JoJo's Bizarre Adventure tie-ins.

...wait, this thing came with F-Mega? :eek:

Tizoc

Speaking of Dio, it took me a while to realize that the current VA for Dio is Rei from the Hokuto Musou games lol.

Oh and in my slow re-read of Part 7, I notice that Valentine looks much different in his debut; he looked rather chubby lol.

Yonafunu

Its not that hard.. Its trap you in dimension where you die over and over again.

Now if we talking about King Crimson...

Come on, you know that's not true. King Crimson is far easier to understand.

GER is all over the place. I get that it creates a loop in which Diavolo keep dying, but then there's the part in the morgue (or hospital, wherever) where he thinks he's alive but he isn't, or something like that.
It's crazy.

Nullification of Action and Effect: Gold Experience Requiem's ability is to turn anything, including his opponent's attack and willpower, back to the state of "zero". Hence, it is near invincible, as all "supposed" actions created by an opponent would have been reset (back to point zero). It is mentioned by Giorno himself that he is unsure of the exact workings and limits of Requiem's powers, but it has been shown that its range of influence extends from finger beams, surface contact, and to even being in the mere attention of Requiem. Requiem also appears to have a consciousness of its own that is unknown to Giorno.
Requiem's abilities also seem to be opposite King Crimson's: King Crimson erases the "cause" and keeps the "effect" (i.e time where a bullet would hit him is erased, causing the bullet to warp past him), while Requiem keeps the "cause" but erases the "effect", causing endless scenarios where actions and initiatives are started, but the effects of such does not occur (as shown when Requiem completely halted King Crimson's cause erasing ability).

If the opponent is "killed" by the stand itself, then they will also continuously experience death, as they will die but repeatedly return to point "zero" (i.e Diavolo's endless death loops).

This ability turns Giorno essentially untouchable by anything that would try to hurt him and is perhaps the strongest defense in the series.

It's definitely confusing like King Crimson, but I'd say it's more of a case of them not being explained well enough in-story. Dunno how much the original translations are at fault there.

I blame D4C.

Found the video I wanted to use as "evidence" :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJRLEGHWe4g

Erigu

Come on, you know that's not true. King Crimson is far easier to understand.
So you understand why the characters can tell King Crimson has been used to remove a few seconds because of a cat's footprints / some blood droplets appearing out of nowhere when, in other occasions, we're told that those consequences shouldn't even be there at all (Diavolo getting shot by Aerosmith -> nope, never happened)?

There's nothing different in those examples at all. In the second one, the bullets are right where they should normally be after the time skip, the only thing KC did was erase the time when they were going through his body. It's like if you were going from point A, to point B, then to point C, but KC makes it so that it's just directly from point A to point C while ignoring point B if that makes any sense.

fertygo

So you understand why the characters can tell King Crimson has been used to remove a few seconds because of a cat's footprints / some blood droplets appearing out of nowhere when, in other occasions, we're told that those consequences shouldn't even be there at all (Diavolo getting shot by Aerosmith -> nope, never happened)?

There's nothing different in those examples at all. In the second one, the bullets are right where they should normally be after the time skip, the only thing KC did was erase the time when they were going through his body. It's like if you were going from point A, to point B, then to point C, but KC makes it so that it's just directly from point A to point C while ignoring point B if that makes any sense.

See?

GER way easier to understand.

Erigu

It's like if you were going from point A, to point B, then to point C, but KC makes it so that it's just directly from point A to point C while ignoring point B if that makes any sense.
Why are the cat's footprints on Giorno there, then? They happened during the skip. Like Diavolo's wounds. But those are gone.

Because Diavolo is the only one that can do anything at all during said skipped time, in the same way Dio and Jotaro can move when they freeze time.

Like I've said before, it's just easier to think of KC and GER in terms of cause and effect anyways.

Erigu

I thought KC only affecting target and user, the "cause" still there is proof KC's effect working.
Not following you, sorry...

Aerosmith's bullets are at point A -> they do something at point B (pierce Diavolo's skull) -> they reach point C
The cat is at point A -> it does something at point B (walk over Giorno) -> it reaches point C
In the first case, it's as if B never happened: the wounds are gone. In the second, the footprints are still there, and that's actually how the characters realize something is up.
You were saying there's no difference, but it sure looks like there is to me. Or are you now saying that there's an exception there because the Stand "only affects target and user" (whah)?

Boy, I miss Part 4...

Ok, let me fix that a little. The only difference is that one of those was going to directly affect Diavolo. Everything that would've happened happened (the cat walking/the bullets going through the air), thing is, in the second example, you could say that Diavolo just got out of the way of the bullets during the skipped time and that's why he didn't get injured.

I'm going to rephrase that. It's like instead of going A->B->C, you go directly A->C but keeping the results of everything that would've happened in B even though it never did.
Unless you're Diavolo, then you just do whatever the fuck you want during B while nobody else can (except GER).

fertygo

Not following you, sorry...

Aerosmith's bullets are at point A -> they do something at point B (pierce Diavolo's skull) -> they reach point C
The cat is at point A -> it does something at point B (walk over Giorno) -> it reaches point C
In the first case, it's as if B never happened: the wounds are gone. In the second, the footprints are still there, and that's actually how the characters realize something is up.
You were saying there's no difference, but it sure looks like there is to me. Or are you now saying that there's an exception there because the Stand "only affects target and user" (whah)?

Boy, I miss Part 4...

Yes?

The Cat's footprint gonna still there unless KC kill cat when its activates the power. because the Cat still walking afterall.

Contrary to the most beliefs, KC didn't fuck up time at all, or the bullet not gonna flew at all.

KC just jump back to point A and try to affect something in that time range.

Its like the sands of time in modern Prince of Persia game.

Btw gosh.. what a trainwreck of Stand. D4C >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> that POS.

EDIT : Wait this still make no sense.

Honestly, I don't remember that exact part, so I'm just explaining the situation with how I understand it works.

It was during the Doppio vs Risotto fight, right? I'm quickly checking and it looks he never actually got hit and it was something about Metallica.

Edit: Nvm I see that part now.

Edit 2: Ok, not exactly sure how to explain it, but it's definitely because of the Diavolo being the only one able to do anything during skipped time thing.

Erigu

The Cat's footprint gonna still there unless KC kill cat when its activates the power.
Whah? What does killing the cat have anything to do with that? Were the bullets killed at some point? ^^;

Btw gosh.. what a trainwreck of Stand. D4C >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> that POS.
It's a bit better, but not by much... Anything after the Part 5 endgame, basically...

not exactly sure how to explain it, but it's definitely because of the Diavolo being the only one able to do anything during skipped time thing.
That's not how the explanation goes at all though. Besides, if Diavolo could get out of the way, he wouldn't need a particular time-related ability for that.

fertygo

Whah? What does killing the cat have anything to do with that? Were the bullets killed at some point? ^^;
Diavolo avoid the cause of bullet? What he doing to the cats to erase the cause? (btw which page is this?)
I think we can only undesrtand what exactly KC is if we know what the hell happened when he analyze "future.

What the hell happening here.

Yeah, it's not him literally getting out of the way. It seems more like that nothing that happens during point B affects him because those events are deleted even though their effect remains on everything else, but he can affect the things that will happen at point C since he's the only one that still experiences point B (see Narancia's death).

Agh, I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear really...

fertygo

I'm not sure what that's that supposed to mean, sorry. The bullets are fired. If there weren't, Risotto wouldn't die, for one thing.

Same thing as for the bullets: nothing.

He avoid it? Its hit Risotto then.

Btw this is interesting, with this scenario.

What supposed to happen with the cat then?

A. Its reaching point C without footprint (What)
B. The Cats not moving from initial place

For A case, so we assuming when Aerosmith shoot Diavolo, KC erase the time when bullet hit Diavolo then poof its hit Risotto?

I just don't think KC's work like that, like you cutting certain frame when making .gif,

Example : we make .gif of gun bullet that hitting two person, then we erase just frame with person A left only person B that got hit.

I think its similar to that concept but not exactly like that. I don't think he erase stuff like that. He just erase time to buy enough time to take action : evading hit, hiding, attack target.

What I'm saying is if the cats not got screwed in point B the result should still remained.

For B case, KC DO NOT Cancel anything, its missing the point of the abilities.

Erigu

He avoid it?
See above: that's not what happens nor what's explained, and if he could simply avoid the bullets by moving, why the need for a time-related ability in the first place?

A. Its reaching point C without footprint (What)
Well, that's what happens with the bullets...

I just don't think KC's work like that, like you cutting certain frame when making .gif,
Example : we make .gif of gun bullet that hitting two person, then we erase just frame with person A left only person B that got hit.
That example works for the cat, but not so much for the bullets: even if you don't see A when he gets shot, he should still be wounded at the end of the gif.

I don't think he erase stuff like that. He just erase time to buy enough time to take action : evading hit, hiding, attack target.
Not what it says at all. It says that "everything in the world" disappeared during that timespan, and "only the results remained". That's the explanation we're given for the bullets not hitting Diavolo.
And by that same logic, Giorno shouldn't have cat footprints all over him.

In short: it makes no sense.

TokiDoki

Wow yay Jojo thread , I'm in .

EDIT: And just finished Part 3! What a showdown. It makes me wish I hadn't known Dio's power beforehand, but it was still quite the ending. Dem time stops, dem knives, dat road roller... dayum.

Part 3 final battle is the most epic manga fight in my heart ever . Proud to own my copy

Glad that Jojo Anniversary campaign really push up Jojo manga's popularity alot . 10 years back I really felt that I'm reading it alone . /shed manly tears

My arcs ranking btw : Stardust Crusader > Vento Aureo > Battle Tendency > Phantom Blood > Steel ball Run = Stone Ocean = Diamond Unbreakable . Still catching up Jojolion .

And for King Crimson ability , I still got mindfcked occasionally even on 3rd readings .

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Welp based on your commentary here seems I'm in for an even more wild ride as I continue along part 4 towards getting caught up.

Just as an update I am reading slowly but currently still on part 4 and just finished the part with the manga artist.

Tizoc

Man...the early volumes SBR need to be retranslated, I'm having a friggin' hard time appreciating the Scary Monsters arc since the translation feels like translated text than characters actually speaking @_@.

...I am however starting to figure out why and how Dio attained his Stand.
When Gyro merged with the Turbo Eye he was able to control his Steel Ball which was in Dio's hand. Based off this we can assume that the Eyes offer 'control over something', and thus Dio chose to 'control' the effects of Ferdinand's Stand, which in turn allowed him to have it as his Stand or at least have the ability to transform into a Dinosaur

EDIT: Regarding King Crimson, let's just all agree that it's main ability is to alter reality, and to erase one's perception of times and events during a set period of time due to the reality alteration.

Tizoc

Just finished True Man's World arc in SBR, I'm a little sleepy as I type this but could someone clear this up for me:
Ringo attempts to force people to challenge him because he can only feel alive in a showdown of death, and is his way to achieving enlightment or some such. While his Stand would seem to be cheating, he informs them of its ability, really to challenge himself; to have this advantage overcome.
EDIT: Oh and can some explain Gyro's joke after he beats Ringo?

Just finished True Man's World arc in SBR, I'm a little sleepy as I type this but could someone clear this up for me:
Ringo attempts to force people to challenge him because he can only feel alive in a showdown of death, and is his way to achieving enlightment or some such. While his Stand would seem to be cheating, he informs them of its ability, really to challenge himself; to have this advantage overcome.

bulleyes sir.

Is it the joke where he's saying every day of the week and suddenly becomes retarded? Because the only thing I found funny about that were his faces :p

1341467676936.jpg

dan2026

Gyro says 'Shitsurei' which means 'excuse me'.

Now 'shi' is four, 'tsu'' is how they would say the english 'two' and 'rei' is 'zero'.

So he goes from four fingers to two fingers to a zero with his thumb and forefinger.

Joke is kinda dumb to be honest.

Yonafunu

Is it the joke where he's saying every day of the week and suddenly becomes retarded? Because the only thing I found funny about that were his faces :p

1341467676936.jpg

Yeah I never got this one either.
The faces are pretty hilarious though. The jokes are one of the reasons the Johnny-Gyro Bromance is the greatest thing ever. I love those two so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom