• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people put hashtags in Facebook staus updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

I see them used outside of Twitter as sort of a punchline. Kinda like how people use spoiler tags here sometimes.

ToxicAdam

It's no different than using a slash or spoiler quotes. Which 80% of GAf has done at some time.

Hah! Now the finger is pointing back at you? Not so high and mighty now!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
These are not cross-posted from a twitter account.

Comment replies too.

Ugh, new pet peeve.

To be fair I can cross post on my phone, but it tells you it came from my phone and not from twitter. Still it's updating twitter/facebook/windows live all at the same time.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
It can be a sensible way to add context to your communication, and it makes sense to people. It isn't clever anymore, but there was a time it was.

I don't have a problem with it.

HcxNV.gif

It's no different than using a slash or spoiler quotes. Which 80% of GAf has done at some time.

Hah! Now the finger is pointing back at you? Not so high and mighty now!
Pretty much.
<reminiscence>When I first learned html, the idea of putting topical punchlines in tags seemed fucking brilliant</stopyellingatthegoddamnclouds>

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Pretty much.
<reminiscence>When I first learned html, the idea of putting topical punchlines in tags seemed fucking brilliant</stopyellingatthegoddamnclouds>

I remember 10+ years ago when it was cool to put stuff in tags like that.

<coolstorybro>Man, 10 years ago... I feel so old.</coolstorybro>

RotBot

I just checked to see if using the Google Plus method of adding a + before a name to reference someone works on Facebook, and it does. It starts searching names as soon as you type the first letter, instead of after a few letters as it usually does. Was this added after Google Plus or has it been there for a while?

I just checked to see if using the Google Plus method of adding a + before a name to reference someone works on Facebook, and it does. It starts searching names as soon as you type the first letter, instead of after a few letters as it usually does. Was this added after Google Plus or has it been there for a while?

When it first started letting you tag other people's names, it worked with an @ symbol. They probably added + after G+ started using it.

Slo

So you can make a little joke or express an idea without having to form an actual sentence that makes sense in the context of the conversation. #welcometotheinterent #youcouldhavefiguredthisoutyourself

DR3AM

Some people (not all) linked their accounts so when they post on fb, it automatically goes to twitter too, and vice versa

So much better than /this or :this: or what have you, to convey action or a state of mind. Much more universally understood. I don't see a problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom